I've just killed a pony

YasandCrystal

Visit site
A tragic accident :( Poor you. Years a go we had a TB that broke his leg above the hock just like that - one minute he was fine being ridden in our paddock, the next he started napping - daughter hopped off, 3 strides of walk later he was down on the ground like he had suffered a heart attack, only when he got up sadly his hind was swinging :(

I don't believe the rope did it - he possibly fell down and may have had a weakness there OP. It could have happened at anytime to anyone. So sorry. RIP little pony.

Tobiano

Visit site
You've not killed a pony, you've dealt quickly and responsibly with a pony that's had an accident and done something that some owners wished for when they find their horse hurt in the field which is immediate care. What's to say he didn't have a weakness that just went which could have gone any when.

Like Rebels said.

OP I am so sorry, you must be feeling dreadful but this is NOT your fault and you don't deserve this to have happened in any way shape or form. ((((hugs))))

EstherYoung

Visit site
We've all done it at some point. I tied H to some 'breakable' string on a fence rail once and he pulled back and took off with the fence attached to him. He was lucky that day.

Generally though, if they're going to get suicidally tangled up, you find them suicidally tangled up. And you didn't. So you may not ever know what happened or why. Try not to get too fixated on hindsight - it will eat you up if you're not careful. You did the right thing by the pony as quickly as humanely possible.

Take care of yourself xxxx

ps Oberon - I love it. But that's the point, we're all human.

SpottyTB

Visit site
OP i'm sorry to hear Xx Try not to blame yourself - freak accidents happen!

And to certain other members who add stupid comments.. shut up, for gods sake just shut up. Obviously some of us cannot be perfect like you (why aren't you polishing your halo instead of commenting?), accidents happen and the world moves on.. it was an accident, JUST AN ACCIDENT. Accept it and don't leave nasty, thoughtless and insensitive comments.

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
So very sorry OP run free little chap. It's just one of those gut wrenching awful things that can happen with horses as L&M says it's a wonder any live to a ripe old age:(

Amymay - I usually like your posts as you have some valuable knowledge which you are good enough to share. You are getting a hard time tonight on this thread which is sad as one person should not be the target but I'm sorry to say that it's deserved. I do hope you will use the tough feedback to reflect.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
OP Im really sorry for your loss of this little pony in a tragic accident, dont beat yourself up because it was an accident. Ive had some narrow scrapes over the years with horses but have been luckily enough that they have had a happy outcome.

Amymay I think you owe the OP an apology.

honetpot

Visit site
Over the years I have done some really stupid things and had things happen that could have ended really badly and somehow got away with it. A memrable one was when they got past me charged up the road and ended up in the village church yard. What you did we all do all the time, what ever happened it was a freak accident and not your fault.

diamonddogs

Visit site
Really really sorry you're going through this, and doubtless the guilt will stay with you forever, but you did nothing that every one of us has done a hundred times without even thinking about it.

It never ceases to amaze me the scrapes they get themselves into - my friend's pony gets himself into the most ridiculous situations - his latest escapade was managing to half strangle himself with his under-rug and hobble himself with the top one, at the same time. We honestly thought his back was gone.

Try if you can to turn it around - it could have happened at any time. What if he'd done it on his own in the field and you hadn't been there to help him? You spared him unnecessary pain.

xxx

Kat

Visit site
My horse managed to injure herself tied up (normal length) in a stable while I stood next to her......... I am now fanatical about tying short and not leaving her alone but she still manages to get herself into stupid positions.

Horses are great at finding new and ever more creative ways to self harm. Accidents happen. Don't beat yourself up.

Pour another glass of wine and havd a hug.

Kat

Visit site
Oberon - just read your post about tying to an electric fence - brilliant!

Think perhaps that should form the beginnings if a whole new thread. ........

Jools2345

Visit site
wow what a shock for you, i dont think you can blame yourself accident s do happen and we can all be caught out,

WelshD

Visit site
You didn't kill anything. Pony had an accident, thankfully you were on hand to make sure he didn't suffer. Horses are so badly designed (spindly legs, walking on one toe, digestion consisting of about 100 miles of almost ready to colic gut), its surprising any of them make it to ripe old ages.

Of course we would do things differently when we know the results, but the result of that would be a world where we never do anything for fear of the result.

Good for you for seeing it through to the end for pony.

Hugs.

very well put.

So sorry OP. Please dont beat yourself up about it -it will emotionally drain you x

tankgirl1

Visit site
I echo what everybody else has said - sounds like a tragic accident, and please go easy on yourself OP - It wasn't your fault.

Sending virtual hugs xxx

Emilieu

Visit site
I'm terribly sorry op :( I think we look for guilt when something like this happens regardless of the circumstances - I know I do anyway. Please dont beat yourself up. These things happen.
Rip pony x

rainer

Visit site
So sorry :( rip lil pony
Don't beat yourself up op they are self harmers,any way they can harm themselves they will!
We've tethered charlie in a field on a very long rope and he's been fine. Its not ur fault.
Out of order amymay,totally out of order

Bryndu

Visit site
First of all....may I offer my sincere condolences.....I cannot begin to imagine what you must be going through...

However.... I would hope you might take some comfort from the fact that if there was no obvious sign of trauma....the little boy may possibly already have had a hairline fracture of the hock....which could have manifested itself at any time.....but did so coincidentally when you tied him to the fence in the nice long grass....

You found him with his injury......and you did the right, kind and loving thing by him.....so I don't believe you did kill your pony......he was just a tragic victim of an unforseen circumstance....

Wishing you all the best.

Bryndu

heebiejeebies

Visit site
The title made it sound like you done it deliberatley, you done nothing wrong, don't be so hard on yourself!

I have reported AmyMay's comment, mainly because I have felt personally victimised to her bullying to the extent I had to make up a new profile on here. Disgusting behaviour from an apparent 'adult'.

Bedlam

Visit site
I would also like to see AmyMay apologise to OP. Went too far this time and completely uncalled for.

What an awful thing to happen. Please don't beat yourself up about it OP! x

ridefast

Visit site
How sad, don't beat yourself up, as others have said it was a terrible accident. I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen horses do things that should have killed them. It sounds like it was just one of those things and lucky you were there to deal with it straight away.

ladyt25

Visit site
To be honest I was at first taken aback by AmyAmy's comments but then I recall how this person is one who rrefers to her horses as "it" and has healthy horses 'despatched' (her words not mine). I always found that a bit bizarre but then understand how people in the business of horses may become less detached. However, if I recall this wad the same person who had a lovely looking big grey horse whom she was too scared to even canter. I find it hard to work out the type of person this poster is to be honest, seemingly callous on one hand yet quick to jump on others for their errors.

Horseyscot

Visit site
How sad, but just a tragic accident, try not to blame yourself:( xx

Amymay , you are really not a very nice person are you? And you remind me why I don't come on HHO very often now. :confused:

On the Hoof

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear about this terrible accident, its so not your fault but my thoughts are with you as I know you will be feeling so bad about this. I am New on this forum and haven't had the good grace to introduce myself so I hope you don't mind me posting on this thread. Take care