I've just killed a pony

Mongoose11

Visit site
Ahhhhh another who has never stepped away from their horse while tied up. This was an accident SusieT. Wind your neck in!

Flame_

Visit site
"Long rope" is subjective, Susie you don't know that the rope was tied long enough to have caused the accident, even if it had been, no one was there so that danger might not have been responsible for what happened at all and even if there had been someone there you don't know that they could have changed the outcome anyway. Given all that, don't you think the OP deserves the benefit of the doubt seeing as she's already blaming herself and regretting any way in which she might have contributed to this accident?

diamonddogs

Visit site
I have to say, isn't the whole point of tying a horse up is so s/he is less likely to wander off and injure itself or someone else or generally cause mayhem while the carer is doing an essential job elsewhere on the yard? Not everyone has a stable they can leave their horse in when they're off doing other stuff.

As anyone who's had anything to do with horses knows, they're hardwired to get into all kinds of scrapes, sometimes they're OK, sometimes not. The other night my own horse was tied up outside her stable while her sharer was mucking out, and I was grooming her. She decided for reasons best known to herself to pull back - not in a panic, I might add - and before anyone could do anything she'd snapped her headcollar and wandered off. This happened while I was actually touching her, and I know for certain she wasn't spooked. The twine didn't snap, the leadrope was tightened as she pulled back so even my best quick release knot was useless, so the outcome could have been tragic. As it was she just ended up with a busted headcollar and a sore ear.

SusieT

Visit site
The point is-instead of absolving op of any blame whatsoever, say yes, that's a horrible day for everyone, but don't absolve her of all responsiblity towards the incident. If my horse got tangled in a loose bit of barbed wire I'd neglected ot pick up, or got thrush from standing in a stable I hadn't mucked out, or broke down because I chose to gallop it round xc when it wasn't fit I wouldn't expect to have anyone saying 'oh well, you did nothing wrong, it was the ponies/natures fault'. We all know we shouldn't tie them long enough to get tangled.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
The point is-instead of absolving op of any blame whatsoever, say yes, that's a horrible day for everyone, but don't absolve her of all responsiblity towards the incident. If my horse got tangled in a loose bit of barbed wire I'd neglected ot pick up, or got thrush from standing in a stable I hadn't mucked out, or broke down because I chose to gallop it round xc when it wasn't fit I wouldn't expect to have anyone saying 'oh well, you did nothing wrong, it was the ponies/natures fault'. We all know we shouldn't tie them long enough to get tangled.

Oh god forbid you post anything tragic on here as this is going to come back and bite you in the ass.

Obviously another for whom compassion is a bad word, really a person feels horrible about what was a tragic accident, pony is already dead, OP will carry this for a long time and you see fit to be this way? What purpose will it serve really? The only reason I know for posting the way you have is to make yourself feel superior and in this situation that to me is despicable.

Shame on you :mad:

Marydoll

Visit site

You were there were you ? You know what happened ?
I hope nobody puts the boot in to you the way youre doing to that poor girl the next time you make a mistake.

diamonddogs

Visit site
...If my horse got tangled in a loose bit of barbed wire I'd neglected ot pick up, or got thrush from standing in a stable I hadn't mucked out, or broke down because I chose to gallop it round xc when it wasn't fit I wouldn't expect to have anyone saying 'oh well, you did nothing wrong, it was the ponies/natures fault'...

These examples are deliberate actions, so it's hardly the same thing though, is it?

Marydoll

Visit site
A tragedy happens where nobody really knows whats happened, and someone is distressed, i cant understand the mentality of people who choose to use it as a way to cause more hurt and anguish to the people involved, its a very sad person who tries to score superiority points in a situation like this.

PolarSkye

Visit site
I defended the op and am not part of any pack thank you, rather someone who saw a person obviously upset and chose to try to give some comfort and support, i make no apologies for that.

Marydoll - my comments were not aimed at those people who were supportive of Slightly Foxed (if you read back, I offered my own support to her) . . . I interpreted "the Pack" Alec referenced as those who were piling on Amymay . . . wholly inappropriate (IMHO) to turn such a sad and sensitive thread into an argue-fest.

What happened to Slightly Foxed, the pony and her nephew was sad enough . . . I don't feel that we should pile further indignities and sadness on by bickering amongst ourselves.

I am sorry that you felt my response to Alec was a personal attack - that was far from my intention . . . I was just voicing my agreement with Alec that it was sad that something so tragic had been hijacked by mob-handedness towards Amymay - whatever her original intentions.

Point is, Slightly Foxed is hurting/feels terrible . . . and I feel desperately sorry for her, her nephew and the poor pony.

P

TigerTail

Visit site
Good grief what a horrific accident :( Rip little ponio and sympthaties to your nephew.

V close to home as my teen helper tied one of my mares too long today, so she could eat, and didnt use a quick release knot, and the mare got her front leg over the rope. Fortunately Ive done oodles of rope/leg desensitisation and she just stood there with the leg in the air with her big eyes saying HEEEEELP!

Marydoll

Visit site
Marydoll - my comments were not aimed at those people who were supportive of Slightly Foxed (if you read back, I offered my own support to her) . . . I interpreted "the Pack" Alec referenced as those who were piling on Amymay . . . wholly inappropriate (IMHO) to turn such a sad and sensitive thread into an argue-fest.

What happened to Slightly Foxed, the pony and her nephew was sad enough . . . I don't feel that we should pile further indignities and sadness on by bickering amongst ourselves.

I am sorry that you felt my response to Alec was a personal attack - that was far from my intention . . . I was just voicing my agreement with Alec that it was sad that something so tragic had been hijacked by mob-handedness towards Amymay - whatever her original intentions.

Point is, Slightly Foxed is hurting/feels terrible . . . and I feel desperately sorry for her, her nephew and the poor pony.

P

Actually i didnt take it as a personal attack from you :) but i didnt like the way a generalised "pack mentality" was being used in the post by Alec, i linked into that through your post ,Amy May said her piece and was challenged on it, as is the hoho way, both her and the op have resolved any issues and that is fine.
The posts that hold differing opinions rumble on, again as is the way of the forum

kerribabes

Visit site
How very sad, I am sure you are beside yourself :( unfortunately a freak accident can happen anywhere nothing you could have done. You were on the scene quickly and had vet out quick so at least he did not suffer too long.

Tash88

Visit site
To be honest I was at first taken aback by AmyAmy's comments but then I recall how this person is one who rrefers to her horses as "it" and has healthy horses 'despatched' (her words not mine). I always found that a bit bizarre but then understand how people in the business of horses may become less detached. However, if I recall this wad the same person who had a lovely looking big grey horse whom she was too scared to even canter. I find it hard to work out the type of person this poster is to be honest, seemingly callous on one hand yet quick to jump on others for their errors.

I just think that she is the sort of person with a lot of opinions that nobody would listen to on a livery yard, so she comes on here to offer them instead; often in a less than polite manner that is disguised as 'straight talking'. She has never said anything on any of my posts that offer advice or add to the discussion. At least they are short and so easy to ignore/overlook! Funny how she rarely/never asks for advice or talks about her own life with horses either.

I'm going to echo the majority of the other posters here and say that it wasn't your fault OP, just a very tragic accident by the sound of it. Interesting what another poster said about how the nitrogen content of the soil affects bone density though. Hugs to you and your little nephew of course, and RIP pony xxx

Vanner

Visit site
Vanner you must think me a seriously cold hearted b*tch to think I would suggest people stop offering words of kindness in a time like this!?! What an amusing, if not bizarre, interpretation :)

Billie1007, my apologies and I don't think you are cold hearted bitch at all! I have no idea who you are and so am not in a position to make that kind of decision. You could, although I suspect not, be the Queens cousin for all I know!! :D:p

Think I am going to stick to FB, I find talking to people that I know a far safer option .... right I'm off out for a hack in the sun in the real world. ;)

Queenbee

Visit site

Could you please explain to us all, because we genuinely want to know...

What is it like to be perfect?

elijahasgal

Visit site
How dreadful, its going to make you paranoid about leaving one again, but they do dreadful things to themselves, and make you want to cry buckets. Know one that was loose in a school, rolled, and broke its leg getting up, nothing anyone could do, so dont beat yourself up, nor let anyone else kick you down.

Tash88

Visit site
Tash88, the OP and AmyMay have made their peace so best to ignore those posts.

Far enough. Think I was compelled to say something as I have been offended by AM in the past. I'm pleased that they have made their peace though.

Mongoose11

Visit site
No harm done Vanner - only teasing :) I think you are right though, this place has really suprised me this weekend. Now the light and warmth is here I think I may spend a little less time on these boards. I think the long Winter must haave affected a lot of us an it's all a bit fractious! Enjoy your sunny hack :)

putasocinit

Visit site
I havent read all the posts, but seems we can all learn from this sad accident, i certainly wont ever tie a horse up again on a long piece of rope. RIP pony, at least it was quick.

TrasaM

Visit site
OP. Read your initial post but didn't comment. However the lesson was fresh in my mind today when I got back from a hack to find that a yearling dartmoor type pony had been left short tied to a tree and had been there for almost two hours on it's own. To say we couldn't believe our eyes was an understatement:eek::mad: it couldn't reach the ground and was frantic because our horse's returned and it got scared and was trying to pull free. If it had fallen over it would have been hanged or strangled or broken it's neck. Now that's negligence! As it is his rear legs were all scratched from the twigs.

I've already fallen out with this YO over some of her practices and only occasionally go there now when friend's horse needs exercising when she can't ride. This however was beyond what even we thought this person could stoop to.

Sorry about your little chap by the way.

Marydoll

Visit site
OP. Read your initial post but didn't comment. However the lesson was fresh in my mind today when I got back from a hack to find that a yearling dartmoor type pony had been left short tied to a tree and had been there for almost two hours on it's own. To say we couldn't believe our eyes was an understatement:eek::mad: it couldn't reach the ground and was frantic because our horse's returned and it got scared and was trying to pull free. If it had fallen over it would have been hanged or strangled or broken it's neck. Now that's negligence! As it is his rear legs were all scratched from the twigs.

I've already fallen out with this YO over some of her practices and only occasionally go there now when friend's horse needs exercising when she can't ride. This however was beyond what even we thought this person could stoop to.

Sorry about your little chap by the way.

Omg thats awful, that is neglect and wantan cruelty imo

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
She has never said anything on any of my posts that offer advice or add to the discussion. At least they are short and so easy to ignore/overlook! Funny how she rarely/never asks for advice or talks about her own life with horses either.

Just going to respond quickly to this - as that is what you prefer.

To my knowledge I've only ever responded to two of your posts.

One post was looking for CC on your lovely dark bay horse, in which I asked one question, and gave one response - which I though was quite useful. Did I realy need to elaborate on the question and the answer?

The other post was where you were concerned you were being bullied by your Phd supervisor. Where I responded that your first port of call should be your director of studies.

You are free to ignore any advice or comment that anyone makes - however well meaning, obviously. And I'm sorry that you found little to merit in my responses to you.

I apologise to SF in responding, as it's not my intention to hijack it and turn it in to an argument about something else.

EDT: 3rd response today in your rugging post. Probably worthless, but hey ho;)

Last edited:

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
I am so sorry both for your loss and the horrible turn this thread has taken. We have all taken liberties with horses and tragic accidents do happen. If everyone had hindsight the world would be a wonderful place.

doriangrey

Visit site
OP, you didn't kill the pony, poor little man. Haven't been on for a while but I did read this and afterwards, I think as it was such an emotive thread, that as you'd sorted it out with Amymay it would have been better to kind of let other posters know as they were supporting you from what 'seemed' like an attack. I do hope you are not feeling too bad, you obviously took the right action xx