Kauto doing dressage

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Echo Bravo, simply put - I am usually right.

However as far as this thread goes, there is no wrong or right. At the end of the day all any of us have on this thread is speculation. None of know the truth of the situation, or the charachters involved - let alone what's best for the horse.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
A bit of a sweeping statement as there are a couple of people on here who know Paul Nicholls and some of his staff personally.
As for Clive Smith I have certainly read enough and seen enough of him through the televised media to be able to make an informed decision about his character.
He has shown a competitive spirit on more than one occasion and I'm afraid that unlike in a previously recorded programme which can be edited, in a live broadcast the cameras and microphones do not lie.
True we can only speculate what is best for Kauto Star, however I think what has aggrieved many of his fans is the manner in which his future has been decided, with little thought of the staff at Ditcheat who have cared for him impeccably for the last almost 9 years.
I personally have nothing against Laura, but I wholly disagree with the future that has been chosen for him.
As race enthusiasts and horse owners I think we are all entitled to our own opinions.
You may have yours and I have mine.
My feeling about the matter will not change, even if Kauto does do well in his chosen career.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Well let's face it,he's gone and there are certainly some very good kids on the block waiting to fill his shoes and I've watched them over the past few months.But one last word Hallo Bud retired and still in the family and where he's been for umpteen years and have looked for past favorites and most have ended their days either being a trainers hack, lead horse for youngsters or inthe hunting field still doing what they love.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Echo Bravo, simply put - I am usually right.

However as far as this thread goes, there is no wrong or right. At the end of the day all any of us have on this thread is speculation. None of know the truth of the situation, or the charachters involved - let alone what's best for the horse.

I disagree Amymay, you are famous for your one liners:p Im still waiting for that quote:rolleyes:

I think if Kauto could talk he would like to go hunting but thats just my opinion.

It was lovely to see PN have a lovely day although it was tinged with sadness having lost Cristal Bonus. I dont think Ive ever seen him so emotional in his interview and losing KS has been heartbreaking for them all , he confessed to being embarassed at his behaviour and I think thats a mark of the man to do that.

silu

Visit site
I too thought PN was 1st class when interviewed. Suppose "the proof of the pudding etc". Just can't quite see KS being actively competed when the chosen rider will be very busy travelling to 3 day events etc all over the place so presume KS will be ridden mainly by the stable staff. I'm sure all us racing fans will be hoping for the best for the horse whatever his future may be.

Moomin1

Visit site
Oh, that would be the fact that I once kicked a Shetland instead of leaning down to hit it with my hand that makes me unfit to comment on the rehoming of a finished racehorse, would it Dobiegirl :D

I assume you can't actually think of anything relevant to add to this discussion?

Is this real?!! Seriously?!

Disgusting.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Agree totally with Fantasy World's last post and also Echo Bravo's ^^ Was nice to see PN and team bouncing back today at Cheltenham although very sad that he also lost one.
I think the emotional live Channel 4 interview with Paul Nicholls indicated what a torrid time he has had this week, and the loss of a good horse yesterday must have been the last straw. In the circumstances, many trainers would have declined the interview.
The Kauto Star incident has caused a permanent split with Clive Smith [owner], and rocked the whole yard. The whole thing has been a PR disaster for team Kauto.
Yes, trainers can be prima donnas, but so also can owners, most of whom start off by seeing it as part of their lifestyle..... a leisure [and pleasure] activity, which ethos has to be supported by the trainer, who has to juggle the demands of the horse, the staff, the owners, the press, and the bank, to name but a few.
The whole thing has been a PR disaster for team Kauto.
The Morning Line [Channel 4] handled it in a professional manner.

Last edited:

Booboos

Visit site
Soooo, to summarize, he'll either be

- an ulcer ridden, vice plagued, emotional wreck

- or a stressed out former legend for newbies to learn on

- or a forced, unnatural retrained dressage horse

- or a discarded ex-running machine

- or a public display for the ignorant to practice smacking noses on

Clearly a case for PTS me thinks.

Patterdale

Visit site
Booboos are you for real!? Crikey! :eek:

Am I missing something here? I was under the impression that the horse was going to someone else to do a bit of dressage in his retirement......not being put to death by firing squad, or going off to be a trekking pony or something.

What's the big hoo-ha!?

Booboos

Visit site
Booboos are you for real!? Crikey! :eek:

Am I missing something here? I was under the impression that the horse was going to someone else to do a bit of dressage in his retirement......not being put to death by firing squad, or going off to be a trekking pony or something.

What's the big hoo-ha!?

It was a joke, a self-evident one I thought.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
If only he could talk!! Then, and only then, would we know what KS would be happiest doing. For all we know he might be just as happy putting his hooves up and doing nothing but eating and sleeping!!

X

xspiralx

A-TmwVMCAAAj3JM.jpg:large

Another image of the poor abused horse having a miserable retirement, forced into endless circles in the school ;)

marmalade76

Visit site
Just can't quite see KS being actively competed when the chosen rider will be very busy travelling to 3 day events etc all over the place so presume KS will be ridden mainly by the stable staff. I'm sure all us racing fans will be hoping for the best for the horse whatever his future may be.

Totally agree and the main reason why I am so surprised at the choice of home.

Luci07

Visit site
Actually all this thread has really shown is the massive divide between people who support different disciplines. So the majority of the racing folks can't believe anyone else could care or understand a TB and the derogatory and incredibly ill informed opinions are not helpful. They are at the best, blooming lazy as no research has been done and worst, incendiary.

Have some respect for those at the top of their game, even if it is not " your" thing. I follow, understand and DO event. I will go to a racing yard and its a different language. Do I think my way is better? No. Just different.

marmalade76

Visit site
Actually all this thread has really shown is the massive divide between people who support different disciplines. So the majority of the racing folks can't believe anyone else could care or understand a TB and the derogatory and incredibly ill informed opinions are not helpful. They are at the best, blooming lazy as no research has been done and worst, incendiary.

Have some respect for those at the top of their game, even if it is not " your" thing. I follow, understand and DO event. I will go to a racing yard and its a different language. Do I think my way is better? No. Just different.

From my own personal POV (as someone who has as much interest in racing as I do eventing) I cannot see how the chosen rider will have time for the horse. She competes internationally in one of the most time consuming of equine sports. At his age, he's not going to go top in anything so I can't see the rider maintaining interest in him/investing time in him long term. I'm not saying that he won't be well looked after, happy, etc, I just find it rather odd. Of course, it's all good publicity for her, but can't help thinking that the novelty will wear off. As an eventer would you bother with a 12 year old ex-racer?

Luci07

Visit site
From my own personal POV (as someone who has as much interest in racing as I do eventing) I cannot see how the chosen rider will have time for the horse. She competes internationally in one of the most time consuming of equine sports. At his age, he's not going to go top in anything so I can't see the rider maintaining interest in him/investing time in him long term. I'm not saying that he won't be well looked after, happy, etc, I just find it rather odd. Of course, it's all good publicity for her, but can't help thinking that the novelty will wear off. As an eventer would you bother with a 12 year old ex-racer?

Her job is to assess him under training with Yogi. His future path is not set in stone, he is being assessed to see what suits him but there is no suggestion that he was with Laura Permanantly..ŵ

Daffodil

Visit site
God you lot!!:mad::rolleyes:

Anyone would think KS had 24/7/52 totally undivided attention from everyone employed at Ditcheat. He was one (albeit the most important) of goodness knows how many horses in that yard and I very much doubt he is suffering from a lack of attention at LC's yard.

I find some of the utter drivel written on this subject quite incredible.

Louise12

Visit site
Some people completely miss the point.
Like Marmalade, I am interested in both eventing and racing (and have experience in top yards), and in both the standard of care is equal, so no qualms there. However, what is also equal is that horses come and horses go. An ambitious professional will only take such a horse because they are getting paid for it and it is good publicity. This is absolutely natural when the commodity they must promote to stay at the top is themselves. It is not a criticism. However much Collett admires Kauto Star, he is not special to her as he is to Ditcheat, and his eventual future is a whole lot more uncertain than if he retired where he was. The second most secure retirement home would have been a perfectly competent rider with less commitments, where he could have remained forever, which leads me to conclude that a desire for publicity by several parties (BHA included) has compromised what is best. Most importantly, senior staff at Ditcheat did not feel it was the correct move. These are not petty individuals – they persistently rehome horses to the best of their abilities, and Nicholls has been nothing other than generous in, for example, getting Harry Fry off the ground in his career, even though his Champion Hurdle winner inevitably went too.

marmalade76

Visit site
Some people completely miss the point.
Like Marmalade, I am interested in both eventing and racing (and have experience in top yards), and in both the standard of care is equal, so no qualms there. However, what is also equal is that horses come and horses go. An ambitious professional will only take such a horse because they are getting paid for it and it is good publicity. This is absolutely natural when the commodity they must promote to stay at the top is themselves. It is not a criticism. However much Collett admires Kauto Star, he is not special to her as he is to Ditcheat, and his eventual future is a whole lot more uncertain than if he retired where he was. The second most secure retirement home would have been a perfectly competent rider with less commitments, where he could have remained forever, which leads me to conclude that a desire for publicity by several parties (BHA included) has compromised what is best. Most importantly, senior staff at Ditcheat did not feel it was the correct move. These are not petty individuals – they persistently rehome horses to the best of their abilities, and Nicholls has been nothing other than generous in, for example, getting Harry Fry off the ground in his career, even though his Champion Hurdle winner inevitably went too.

Thank you, Louise, exactly what I meant but put so much better!

Luci, the only place I have read about the 'assessment plan' is here, and the words pillar and post spring to mind..

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Well said Louise, if Kauto is staying at LCs yard to be assessed why couldnt it have been done at Ditcheat. He will just have settled down at LCs then will be moved on again, what a way to treat a legend.

oldvic

Visit site
Well said Louise, if Kauto is staying at LCs yard to be assessed why couldnt it have been done at Ditcheat. He will just have settled down at LCs then will be moved on again, what a way to treat a legend.

Louise - very well put. There is no reason we can't have involvement to a high level in more than 1 discipline.

Dobiegirl - especially as Paul Nicholls' wife has evented to advanced level. I am sure Yogi would have been more than happy to go down there a few times to advise her/assess Kauto if required. We all now know that Kauto was moved due to the breakdown between PN and Clive Smith, not because Smith wants to see him more. If that was the case he would have gone to Surrey. If you are getting in a car to go and see a horse there is not a huge difference between Membury and Ditcheat.