Laminitis with no improvement

deepsoftheavy

Visit site
it’s an awful disease isn’t it. They’ve mentioned the resection to me but I know already it won’t get to that point as she isn’t fit to travel
we did the resection at home under GA. There was infection in the pedal bone and I knew no better than to desperately cling onto the hope given to me by the vet and farrier. However at that stage there was only one bad foot. The procedure was actually successful at that time.

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm sorry its come to this. I know just how hard it is to make that final call. As someone a few years down the line my only regrets now are that I didnt do it sooner. At the time I was worried that I was missing some magic fix, but that was just grasping at straws. Dont let her suffer anymore. You will never forgive yourself later on.

Its so hard. I'm thinking of you both xx

deepsoftheavy

Visit site
I was desperate, knew nothing about laminitis, and had a big box and a vet and farrier telling me there was a reasonable chance. There was no post operative infection. But please remember it was a single foot and it sounds as if your horse has bad rotation in both fronts? But in any case the disease won in the end. It wasnt covered by insurance and it took me a very long time to pay the vet bills (had to pay in installments) I would have sold my soul to save that horse :rolleyes: He was also eating and looking bright which doesnt sound like your mare. I now secretly suspect the vet was using it as a kind of career building experiment though he did certainly also want to save the horse.

PSD

Visit site
I'm sorry its come to this. I know just how hard it is to make that final call. As someone a few years down the line my only regrets now are that I didnt do it sooner. At the time I was worried that I was missing some magic fix, but that was just grasping at straws. Dont let her suffer anymore. You will never forgive yourself later on.

Its so hard. I'm thinking of you both xx
this is exactly what I think I’m doing. I’m hoping the vets will ring with some miracle news that they’ve found a way to make her better instantly. Which we all know is not the case, I owe this horse everything as she’s been my absolute horse of a life time. I at least owe it to her to stop all this, but I also feel like I owe it to her to try absolutely everything too. It’s very tough

I was desperate, knew nothing about laminitis, and had a big box and a vet and farrier telling me there was a reasonable chance. There was no post operative infection. But please remember it was a single foot and it sounds as if your horse has bad rotation in both fronts? But in any case the disease won in the end. It wasnt covered by insurance and it took me a very long time to pay the vet bills (had to pay in installments) I would have sold my soul to save that horse :rolleyes: He was also eating and looking bright which doesnt sound like your mare. I now secretly suspect the vet was using it as a kind of career building experiment though he did certainly also want to save the horse.

she has good and bad days. She seemed pretty bright yesterday morning and was eating her hay yesterday evening but in between she’s been down a few times and won’t touch her feed at the minute which has all her meds in

meleeka

Visit site
this is exactly what I think I’m doing. I’m hoping the vets will ring with some miracle news that they’ve found a way to make her better instantly. Which we all know is not the case, I owe this horse everything as she’s been my absolute horse of a life time. I at least owe it to her to stop all this, but I also feel like I owe it to her to try absolutely everything too. It’s very tough

she has good and bad days. She seemed pretty bright yesterday morning and was eating her hay yesterday evening but in between she’s been down a few times and won’t touch her feed at the minute which has all her meds in
Have you tried syringing meds? Some pain relief really needs to be given if you aren’t making the decision today. My mare won’t eat anything in a feed but will allow me to syringe them.

PSD

Visit site
Have you tried syringing meds? Some pain relief really needs to be given if you aren’t making the decision today. My mare won’t eat anything in a feed but will allow me to syringe them.

yes I went to the yard around 8.30pm last night to syringe them into her, I only gave her bute as I wasn’t sure what she’d actually eaten. She’s usually more than happy to eat things in her feed

PSD

Visit site
I think if she’s up and down again today and off her food then I will be making that decision. She’s clearly not wanting to fight anymore if she’s this way and who am I to force her to, I genuinely never ever thought it would come to this with her. She is my horse of a lifetime

millikins

Visit site
My thoughts are with you today whatever your decision. My small pony is just coming through her 3rd episode of lami in seven or eight years, we went for a little drive yesterday for 1st time in about 8 weeks but I have always had excellent advice from vet and farrier which is not your experience, like you I had to trust them completely 1st time as l had no idea. I adore this pony but I'm well aware she's now on borrowed time, she's 16 and we've found no metabolic reason and she isn't overweight, so if I can't manage in a sodden February, spring and summer seem daunting. Good luck today.

holeymoley

Visit site
I really hope there’s a miracle and she’s up and brighter today. My guy’s miracle was that he still had the spark and continued to fight himself. The night I thought about pts I gave him a big hug and cried all evening. He kept head butting and nuzzling me as if to say ‘not yet’.

PSD

Visit site
My thoughts are with you today whatever your decision. My small pony is just coming through her 3rd episode of lami in seven or eight years, we went for a little drive yesterday for 1st time in about 8 weeks but I have always had excellent advice from vet and farrier which is not your experience, like you I had to trust them completely 1st time as l had no idea. I adore this pony but I'm well aware she's now on borrowed time, she's 16 and we've found no metabolic reason and she isn't overweight, so if I can't manage in a sodden February, spring and summer seem daunting. Good luck today.

it’s so hard when they are so special to us isn’t it. But a lot of the time we are selfish and forget to think of them first

I really hope there’s a miracle and she’s up and brighter today. My guy’s miracle was that he still had the spark and continued to fight himself. The night I thought about pts I gave him a big hug and cried all evening. He kept head butting and nuzzling me as if to say ‘not yet’.

I’m trying to listen to her but I just can’t work it out. Whether she’s just down because she now has a huge soft bed as opposed to the horrible wet one my first vet advised, whether she’s down because she isn’t getting the meds because she won’t take them or whether she is just truly giving up now

be positive

Visit site
it’s so hard when they are so special to us isn’t it. But a lot of the time we are selfish and forget to think of them first

I’m trying to listen to her but I just can’t work it out. Whether she’s just down because she now has a huge soft bed as opposed to the horrible wet one my first vet advised, whether she’s down because she isn’t getting the meds because she won’t take them or whether she is just truly giving up now

She may well be down because she is comfortable with the bed now and with all 4 feet sore it will give her a proper rest, it is not a bad thing in itself as long as she gets up fairly easily and regularly, eats something when she is up and you get the meds down her, I would get them all syringed in today and give her a few tiny feeds with nothing nasty in, that will ensure she gets them and give her something nice to eat, it can be a vicious circle, they feel worse without the meds and that stops them eating them, a few days getting them straight down may tip the balance.

As for telling whether she is giving up, look at her face, if the eyes are dull it may be time to call it a day.

Leo Walker

Visit site

Mine was the same, only one foot and was bright as a button. He loved people and loved the yard so was happy. I had a long talk with a friend one afternoon, and I went home and looked at the xrays side by side. I then went down when the yard was quiet and found him with his head down in the corner and his eyes dull.

He was PTS the next morning. I was still waiting for the miracle cure as he went down from the injection. I felt awful for a long time after thinking I hadnt done enough for him and had missed something. Once the grief cleared I realised I had done too much for him in my desperation to fix him.

PSD

Visit site
Mine was the same, only one foot and was bright as a button. He loved people and loved the yard so was happy. I had a long talk with a friend one afternoon, and I went home and looked at the xrays side by side. I then went down when the yard was quiet and found him with his head down in the corner and his eyes dull.

He was PTS the next morning. I was still waiting for the miracle cure as he went down from the injection. I felt awful for a long time after thinking I hadnt done enough for him and had missed something. Once the grief cleared I realised I had done too much for him in my desperation to fix him.

grief is an awful thing. Constantly feeling like you’re not doing enough when as you say, you can possibly be doing too much. I’m on my way down to her now so will keep you all posted. Hoping to hear from the vets this morning too about the x ray outcome

PSD

Visit site
She’s a lot brighter today, actually kicking off because she wanted to come out of her stable!
The vets have rang and they’re going to send me the x rays. There’s some separation in her front feet apparently and he said he wants to try the resection

PSD

Visit site
Having just checked my insurance documents, I have no choice but to go through with the surgery as it states they will not pay out if I refuse treatment suggested by the vet they can potentially cure her

WandaMare

Visit site
Its so difficult to tell their mood when they're on meds like sedalin which can make them v quiet anyway.

One thing I remembered when reading through the posts from yesterday, a lady advising me with my laminitic, from the Laminitis trust said that when they start lying down it can actually be a sign their feet are starting to feel a little better because they are confident enough they can get back up. When their feet are really bad they instinctly know to keep standing. Also lying down is the best thing because it obviously gives the feet much more opportunity to heal. Apologies if I'm rambling on with stuff you already know, I just found it really useful when nursing mine so thought it might be worth a mention. All the best with her today x

be positive

Visit site
Having just checked my insurance documents, I have no choice but to go through with the surgery as it states they will not pay out if I refuse treatment suggested by the vet they can potentially cure her

You do not need to refuse the treatment but do need to have a full idea of the implications, the prognosis with or without, then make a decision based on the facts, as long as your vet is on board with your choice the insurance should pay, it is not a clear cut choice, in this situation there may still be other options the vet can offer and that will keep the insurance co happy, it is to stop someone pts a horse rather than treat when the horse should come right.

PSD

Visit site
Its so difficult to tell their mood when they're on meds like sedalin which can make them v quiet anyway.

One thing I remembered when reading through the posts from yesterday, a lady advising me with my laminitic, from the Laminitis trust said that when they start lying down it can actually be a sign their feet are starting to feel a little better because they are confident enough they can get back up. When their feet are really bad they instinctly know to keep standing. Also lying down is the best thing because it obviously gives the feet much more opportunity to heal. Apologies if I'm rambling on with stuff you already know, I just found it really useful when nursing mine so thought it might be worth a mention. All the best with her today x

its funny you say that as another livery also said the same to me this morning. The vets are just waiting for the blood test results and then they are going to make a plan for her and call me back. I’m really annoyed at my previous vet as I feel this could have all been avoided had he listened to me and x rayed her feet when she first went lame

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

Please don’t put her through non essential surgery. You need to speak to your vet about this. If he recommends euthanasia then your insurance will pay out. But please don’t put her through something that’s very unlikely to ultimately have a good outcome, simply for the payout.

PSD

Visit site
Please don’t put her through non essential surgery. You need to speak to your vet about this. If he recommends euthanasia then your insurance will pay out. But please don’t put her through something that’s very unlikely to ultimately have a good outcome, simply for the payout.

I won’t be doing it “simply for the payout” so please don’t suggest I’m doing it just so the bill gets paid as I have her best interests at heart and I’m working with the vet to decide the best outcome. He feels it will help her a lot and there’s a good chance of her recovering with the procedure being done. However I’m yet to discuss this with my farrier, we will all have to come to a mutual agreement before anything is made certain.

PSD

Visit site
The x rays have been sent over to me. These are her front feet.

Attachments

• 27275C02-F6EB-4AC2-8EF1-E2DB96BC6B03.jpeg
    27275C02-F6EB-4AC2-8EF1-E2DB96BC6B03.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 0846FA17-71F4-4476-A9C4-DE8675AB375F.jpeg
    0846FA17-71F4-4476-A9C4-DE8675AB375F.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 84

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Wow that pedal bone is so close to the sole.... the toes are very long - even a trim to shorten the toe will help but a whole resection is completely unneccessary. Have you called a podiatrist?

PSD

Visit site
Wow that pedal bone is so close to the sole.... the toes are very long - even a trim to shorten the toe will help but a whole resection is completely unneccessary. Have you called a podiatrist?

she is due her trim this week. I don’t mean to come across rude now I’m genuinely intrigued, (it’s hard to tell tone over the internet!)when you say it’s unnecessary why would a vet suggest this? I feel like if they take the shoe off they may find more that they’re hoping to with that pedal bone. I do wonder how this resection even works, I know it relieves the pressure but how can this kind of rotation be rectified with such a procedure? The vet explained it’s the pressure releasing and then she’ll be in less pain thus being able to heal better but for me that bone is so far rotated I can’t see a way back

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
hooves grow, so if you manage to resolve the cause of the laminitis you can grow a tighter connection back down and the pedal bone has the potential to end up back where it should be.
The trouble being that hooves take a fair time to grow, and sometimes don't always grow in helpful directions.

Reactions: TPO

PSD

Visit site
hooves grow, so if you manage to resolve the cause of the laminitis you can grow a tighter connection back down and the pedal bone has the potential to end up back where it should be.
The trouble being that hooves take a fair time to grow, and sometimes don't always grow in helpful directions.

thank you. I’m not really overjoyed at the idea of doing it especially with how far she’s rotated. I just don’t know what to do now in all honesty, my farrier has said the procedure is a good one and can work but he isn’t filling me with confidence

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wouldn't have the opp no way and looking at those x rays I think I would pts sorry I know it's not what you want to hear but you looking at months and months of box rest,

I did 4 months with my mare she hated box rest but was sound in walk after that time, I was going to give her a few more weeks then start turning out gradually, I got up one morning and she was shifting her weight again pulses through the roof she was pts the next day I couldn't see her go through it again and neither could I quite honestly.