Laminitis with no improvement

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I'd want your previous vet stringing up for this! Can't imagine how you must be feeling. You were acting on advice from the professionals - it's on them, not you. Please try not to feel guilty.

Hope the vet comes back to you soon with some hopeful news.

Totally agree I still can't believe a vet can be that bad, thing is if you have no experience of certain things you put your whole trust into these professionals.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It’s hard not to though isn’t it :( I’ve had a chat with a couple of friends about her today and they’ve said if I do choose to pts then I can rest easy knowing I’ve done absolutely everything I can. They said they don’t know how I’m emotionally coping, the vet is here every single week but the actually praised me for how much I’ve done for her

I went through 4 months of my mare living at home with laminitis I basically lived and breathed it so I really understand how stressful it is, I can honestly say I never ever want to go through it again and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Hang in on there we are all here for you to offer help and support when we can x

PSD

Visit site
I went through 4 months of my mare living at home with laminitis I basically lived and breathed it so I really understand how stressful it is, I can honestly say I never ever want to go through it again and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Hang in on there we are all here for you to offer help and support when we can x

It’s horrendous. I never imagined it to be this heartbreaking, I’ve never personally dealt with it but I’ve had friends with ponies that have had it. I’m losing hope though in all honesty, these next couple of days are going to be crucial I think

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It’s horrendous. I never imagined it to be this heartbreaking, I’ve never personally dealt with it but I’ve had friends with ponies that have had it. I’m losing hope though in all honesty, these next couple of days are going to be crucial I think

It is a horrible condition I just hope with the new vet they manage to turn it around for you and it's not too late, am keeping everything crossed for you.

Reactions: PSD

ITPersonnage

Visit site
My heart goes out to you I'm really sorry you and your horse are going through this, it must be terrible. Thank goodness the new vet seems to be on the ball. How the first vet sleeps at night I have no idea.

holeymoley

Visit site
It’s is an awful experience to go through. I look forward to hearing the X-ray results and vets thoughts from there on.

Marnie

Visit site
Just to say that I went through this last summer and know exactly what you are going through, everything crossed that the news is ok.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
hope you get some good news from the vet, your last vet seemed useless to me so try not to blame yourself as you did what both he and the farrier said and we rely on them being right. hugs xx

be positive

Visit site
My first vet had the cheek to ask why I was moving practise.

but I guess none of that matters now, I just pray that she starts to feel better

Well I hope you told them:mad:

You have got the help she needs now and a plan of action once the results are back will give her a chance which a couple of days ago was unlikely with the wait and see approach, delays in xraying and reluctance to do much for so long, none of which was your fault, you need to be able to trust your vet and the last one let you down, this one sounds as if he will do his best.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Honestly, if she cant cope with xrays i'd be making the call. With things going the way they are with CV I wouldnt want to end up in a situation where vet care wasnt immediately available, so I'd have been thinking that way anyway. But to not be able to cope with xrays and the vet confirming theres significant rotation then for me this woud have gone too far now.

PSD

Visit site
Honestly, if she cant cope with xrays i'd be making the call. With things going the way they are with CV I wouldnt want to end up in a situation where vet care wasnt immediately available, so I'd have been thinking that way anyway. But to not be able to cope with xrays and the vet confirming theres significant rotation then for me this woud have gone too far now.

this is where I’m at now if I’m honest Leo. She’s been down most of the afternoon, just had a call to say she’s looking like she’s struggling to get up so I’m on my way back there. The vets haven’t rang yet about the x rays but the whole her getting down a lot isn’t a good sign at all. She’s not been at this point yet, but she won’t eat her meds so she must be in significant pain now and I’m bothered about the colic risk

deepsoftheavy

Visit site
I too lived and breathed it for many months. A terrible rollercoaster of hope and despair. I had the digger booked three times and then cancelled because there seemed to be a glimmer of light. We did a resection on the bad foot but, in the end, I knew neither he nor I could take any more so I filled him with bute and a big concentrate feed and he went not knowing what was coming. It still hurts .... 13 years later. Stay strong and try to be objective

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My mare came down with laminitis just before the new year. My vet suggested it was a torn DDFT however she worsened gradually and the vet finally agreed to x ray her 2 weeks later. They found she had slight rotation in both fronts but enough toe to take off to correct this, the farrier was contacted with the x rays and the heartbar shoes went on. She seemed a lot worse after they were fitted so they were changed to aluminium heartbars and she was re x rays before these went on. Within 2 weeks she had rotated further and they vet and farrier diagnosed her with laminitis in her back feet. They have not yet managed to x ray her backs due to the machine being broke but she has heartbars fitted at the back just for some support. Farrier has suggested keeping her bed quite wet to help her feet expand and aid healing, which I’ve done. She is on 30 paracetamol a day, 500ml (I think - 500 on the syringe) metacam and now 1.5 sedalin a day to keep her heart rate down as it was double what it should be. She can barely move, she’s hardly eating and just really fed up.
Has anyone any experience with anything like this? The vets advised me to walk her if she will walk (which she won’t) but it’s bothering me how much she’s struggling with the amount of pain relief she’s on and with how long it’s been. She can’t even move over in the stable, her back legs are actually at a point where they look like they’re about to buckle any moment. I just feel like there’s something we’re missing, she doesn’t seem to be improving whatsoever, or is this just how lami goes? I do have her x ray photos and videos of her moving (or lack of) too.
Appreciate any comments.
Similar story, my vet failed to diagnose Laminitis two years running, Then she went lame and after 1 1/2 year battle we lost her.

I use bedmax bedding as it more supportive and comfy for the laminitis feet. I also had to use styrofoam pads with duct tape. I put her on Equimins laminator as it makes the vessels more able to expand to help the blood flow https://www.equimins-online.com/en/all-products/74-equimins-laminator-supplement-pellets.html. She was also on Founderguard https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1434982967...QrNB65AFTUSfi19jLwBTw9I9NZeHAoMUaAkF4EALw_wcB .

The reason I lost her as after the first infection of the pedal bone was halted, it happened again

MY farrier was Billy Crothers who was amazing. Then at the end we got ANdrew Pointin who gave us the final no hope https://www.handmadeshoesltd.co.uk/about-us/ .

I have several Laminitics on the yard, and we watch them like a hawk specially now as the grass will start to grow.

My boy was on limited grazing 2 years ago, out for 2 hrs in 4 then out 2. We put him on Turmaric and he was out from 9am - 4pm with very few days of warm, pulses in feet. So they are kept on it https://www.equine-america.co.uk/tu...RjUCSGEY4on4z2MlG3bN8imWppOL7eF4aAodJEALw_wcB .

I also bought these frog supports https://www.equilife.co.uk/products/frog-supports.html and had to soak and rinse her hay, why in gods name hammer shoes on sore feet. Billy Crothers are imprint shoes thus stuck on

If you have any more questions pm me

Last edited:
Reactions: PSD

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
that is not sounding good, you may have to make a big decision soon , remember that is is her quality of life you are thinking about and that is the most important thing....so sorry :(

PSD

Visit site
I too lived and breathed it for many months. A terrible rollercoaster of hope and despair. I had the digger booked three times and then cancelled because there seemed to be a glimmer of light. We did a resection on the bad foot but, in the end, I knew neither he nor I could take any more so I filled him with bute and a big concentrate feed and he went not knowing what was coming. It still hurts .... 13 years later. Stay strong and try to be objective

it’s an awful disease isn’t it. They’ve mentioned the resection to me but I know already it won’t get to that point as she isn’t fit to travel

PSD

Visit site
Similar story, my vet failed to diagnose Laminitis two years running, Then she went lame and after 1 1/2 year battle we lost her.

I use bedmax bedding as it more supportive and comfy for the laminitis feet. I also had to use styrofoam pads with duct tape. I put her on Equimins laminator as it makes the vessels more able to expand to help the blood flow https://www.equimins-online.com/en/all-products/74-equimins-laminator-supplement-pellets.html. She was also on Founderguard https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1434982967...QrNB65AFTUSfi19jLwBTw9I9NZeHAoMUaAkF4EALw_wcB .

The reason I lost her as after the first infection of the pedal bone was halted, it happened again

MY farrier was Billy Crothers who was amazing. Then at the end we got ANdrew Pointin who gave us the final no hope https://www.handmadeshoesltd.co.uk/about-us/ .

I have several Laminitics on the yard, and we watch them like a hawk specially now as the grass will start to grow.

My boy was on limited grazing 2 years ago, out for 2 hrs in 4 then out 2. We put him on Turmaric and he was out from 9am - 4pm with very few days of warm, pulses in feet. So they are kept on it https://www.equine-america.co.uk/tu...RjUCSGEY4on4z2MlG3bN8imWppOL7eF4aAodJEALw_wcB .

I also bought these frog supports https://www.equilife.co.uk/products/frog-supports.html and had to soak and rinse her hay, why in gods name hammer shoes on sore feet. Billy Crothers are imprint shoes thus stuck on

If you have any more questions pm me

thank you, I feel like we probably won’t come back from this with her.

PSD

Visit site
that is not sounding good, you may have to make a big decision soon , remember that is is her quality of life you are thinking about and that is the most important thing....so sorry :(

I think I will be having to make a decision soon, things aren’t looking good at all.

I’ve been down just now and she was down but I do think it’s because she won’t eat her feed with her medication in. So I’ve put some bute in water and syringed it down. I didn’t want to give her much else as I can’t actually see what she’s eaten out of her feed as she has had a bit of a nibble so didn’t want to end up giving her too much of something. I’ll be there first thing tomorrow, my yard owner feeds her at 5am so she will update me if there’s any need to. I feel like tomorrow is going to either be a really good day or a really terrible one.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
it’s an awful disease isn’t it. They’ve mentioned the resection to me but I know already it won’t get to that point as she isn’t fit to travel

now wait that is barbaric and unnecessary. If they suggest that please please please pts no horse deserves that ever

PSD

Visit site
I feel now I’m at a point where I’m just prolonging things for her and I’m being cruel. But I just want to await the outcome from the new vet with regards to the x rays. I think I’m just hoping there’s some kind of miracle coming my way if I’m honest

PSD

Visit site
now wait that is barbaric and unnecessary. If they suggest that please please please pts no horse deserves that ever

I can assure you it won’t be getting to that. She can’t physically travel to have the procedure anyway and I’m not prepared to put her through that

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
it might be worth speaking to your vet early in the morning in case she gets worse over night , or can you send him a text now telling him what she is like, if she has been down for a long time it will compromise her organs and you will have no choice but PTS

PSD

Visit site
it might be worth speaking to your vet early in the morning in case she gets worse over night , or can you send him a text now telling him what she is like, if she has been down for a long time it will compromise her organs and you will have no choice but PTS

I will call them first thing in the morning and let them know, I called them earlier to say she had been down. She’s up and down, luckily she can actually get up but from experience I know that this is never the good part once they start with getting down