Laminitis with no improvement

PSD

Visit site
It's a tricky one to respond to, as I don't want to give you false hope - but imprints made a world of difference to the EMS mare here that was nearly PTS a few years back as she had such severe laminitis. Fitting Imprints and Equipak CS made her loads more comfortable, so we could treat the EMS and sort out her weight without her being in agony

we’re treating the EMS at the moment with metformin and you can see she’s not massively overweight so it’s a bit of a pain. I just think the sinking is the worst part as opposed to rotation, but again it’s a last chance effort

Spotherisk

Visit site
Mine had Imprints, he had sunk on all four. Vet and farrier worked together and after three months of box rest and two sets of Imprints he did come right. However, he was never normal again and the laminitis remained a chronic niggling background issue, and he was pts six weeks ago.
The Imprints made an immediate effect. They were fitted, farrier said lead him out of the stable. Tinner hesitated, he thought it was going to hurt. He stepped out and his whole demeanour changed, he was so happy and bright.

OP whatever happens, whatever you decide, I wish you all the best, you are right, it is a terrible emotional rollercoaster...

PSD

Visit site
Mine had Imprints, he had sunk on all four. Vet and farrier worked together and after three months of box rest and two sets of Imprints he did come right. However, he was never normal again and the laminitis remained a chronic niggling background issue, and he was pts six weeks ago.
The Imprints made an immediate effect. They were fitted, farrier said lead him out of the stable. Tinner hesitated, he thought it was going to hurt. He stepped out and his whole demeanour changed, he was so happy and bright.

OP whatever happens, whatever you decide, I wish you all the best, you are right, it is a terrible emotional rollercoaster...

she’s relatively bright in herself. Better than she has been anyway, I have to bring her out to change the dressings for the resection and she will come out although she hesitates. I’ve a feeling that she will go the same as after the resection - fine for a few days and then downhill. One can only hope it’s some miracle cure and she recovers well

fusspot

Visit site
Oh my....I so feel for you as is almost exactly the same as I went through with my boy.Its the hardest time but I will promise you this....you will know when the time is right. Mine had ulcers previously and then ended up EMS.I will say that the Metformin only works for a certain amount of time,mine was 2 years and the day I let him go,the vet said that I physically could not get him any lighter but he still had some fat pads.Personally over 35 years I have had 3 of my own put to sleep and you just know when the time is right.All 3 of mine lost that light in their eye and it was like they were there in body but the spirit had left them.My boy last year was very up and down like yours,one day,all morning he was standing at his chains at the front of his stable,but you could just see that he was permanently lifting one foot or transferring his weight all the time in front.He lay down over lunch and was still down at 3pm which was not him.I called the vets straight away and told them that I needed somebody to do a PTS.The Vet was here in 30 mins and gave him a good look over.She confirmed that his pulses were pounding in both fronts and had now also gone into the backs-he wasn’t rocking at all,was just transferring weight all the time. I asked if I was doing the right thing by letting him go and she said definetly yes and that I was being a responsible owner to let him free from his suffering.She rang the practice and they organised the collection so I didn’t have to deal with any of it.He was let go 15 mins later and went peacefully but the vet did say that his system was starting to shut down as he went so quickly.Always remember that you are the owner and you have to follow your gut instinct as you are with the horse daily.Its always better a day too early than a day too late.If you do need to go down that route, the cost is not actually too bad.My Sons Pony was put down on New Years Day Morning and obviously couldn’t get hold of the Insurance company.I rang the next day and told them it was done for Ponies welfare and as was an Insurance case because of the cause they covered all bar about £100 for PTS and Disposal.Please be assured, you will know and if you decide to let yours go,people would understand.You have gone above and beyond to help yours.X

throughtheforest

Visit site
The digestive issues is another thing I am faced with. She had grade 4 ulcers last summer and recovered well but I think this may have had something to do with the EMS/laminitis because before these I never had a single worry with her over anything. I’m 99.9% certain that the ulcers are back, she’s lost condition understandably and she’s very tucked in.

the thing I’m struggling with is having that conversation, where do I even start? Do I just outright say I think enough is enough? Do I just ask what their view is? I fear I won’t get the advice I’m desperately seeking if I don’t ask the right question

Hi Op, I thought I should comment because my boy had very similar complications and did make a recovery temporarily after similar sinking and rotation. He was barefoot and eventually as soon as comfortable he was moved too, this worked for him. A fantastic help was the laminitis organisation. I wish to this day that I had kept going with his treatment but I couldn't get the set up to keep him happy, plus manage his EMS, digestion issues and hatred for being stuck in.
If the imprints are the last resort, I would give it a go. Obviously she's your horse, you know her best but if she's perked up, is eating and meds have been reduced, granted she will likely still be sore yes. Then I would go for it to be honest. My guy did very well on magnesium oxide and due to your mares history of ulcers and the fact Bute can cause digestive upsets I would look at proactively treating her for this or explore with your vet. I feel that finding the balance with this would be the key along with appropriate foot management. Yes the imprints are temporary but should these offer the progress that they could do you will have other options afterwards such as hoofboots and pads.
Sorry if this isn't want you want to hear but it's a difficult subject that's close to my heart and if I can do anything at all to help further then I would. My inbox is always open to you because I really appreciate the emotional strain this puts on you.
Furthermore as some inspiration Princefluffykareem often rehab extreme cases of laminitis, yes the causes are often different but it can be done and I would continue to go as far as you can emotionally take whilst taking your mares wellbeing as absolute paramount, she will tell you when it's enough.
I really sincerely wish you all the luck in the world. Xx

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if she is still in so much pain could you increase the pain relief ? seems silly to decrease it if she is not weight bearing on one foot. sorry if i have got the wrong info but if she was mine i would pump the pain relief up as far as possible so she isnt so uncomfortable when the farrier fits the imprints....(if you are giving them a try). as i said before i would have PTS a long time ago but obviously not everyone feels the same as i do...good luck and hope she can have a better quality of life soon.

holeymoley

Visit site
If you’re looking for other experiences and are on Facebook check ‘laminitis chit chat’ and the other page ‘hoof care and rehabilitation’ x

PSD

Visit site
Hi all

imprints have gone on today and already I can see she is a lot more comfortable and happy to bare weight now. The farrier was really please with the instant change (once she realised it wasn’t going to be so bad). Fingers crossed it’s a step in the right direction now but then again she did feel a lot better when she had the resection but then went downhill rapidly so I won’t get too complacent yet

Nari

Visit site
From my experience while sinking can't be reversed the sole can thicken underneath and if you can get that to happen then everything improves. My lad very nearly came through the sole and sole depth was almost non-existent, years later he has decent sole depth and is in regular light work which is far more than any of us dared dream of at the time. I won't lie, it was a very long road and he's still treated with kid gloves, though watching him tear round the field on rock hard ground I sometimes wonder why I'm careful! Rotation is kept aligned by a 4 weekly shoeing cycle and incredible farrier, and he has pads and putty on to protect and support him. For a while we used Metformin, but as others have said it does become less effective, personally I found NoMetSyn works better for us.

There are no promises, and however good your team and skilful your nursing there's a lot of luck involved too. I'm not even sure if I should be giving you hope, but you sound like a realistic person so I thought I would post. I'll keep everything crossed for you and Tilly x

PSD

Visit site
From my experience while sinking can't be reversed the sole can thicken underneath and if you can get that to happen then everything improves. My lad very nearly came through the sole and sole depth was almost non-existent, years later he has decent sole depth and is in regular light work which is far more than any of us dared dream of at the time. I won't lie, it was a very long road and he's still treated with kid gloves, though watching him tear round the field on rock hard ground I sometimes wonder why I'm careful! Rotation is kept aligned by a 4 weekly shoeing cycle and incredible farrier, and he has pads and putty on to protect and support him. For a while we used Metformin, but as others have said it does become less effective, personally I found NoMetSyn works better for us.

There are no promises, and however good your team and skilful your nursing there's a lot of luck involved too. I'm not even sure if I should be giving you hope, but you sound like a realistic person so I thought I would post. I'll keep everything crossed for you and Tilly x

thank you so much that’s really encouraging. As long as she is happy and as comfortable as I can make her then I’m happy, we have facilities on my yard for laminitic ponies which enables them to be able to go out turnout wise so I’m very lucky.

Look at her ickle face. Fingers crossed this finally helps things improve.

she’s adorable isn’t she haha I am biased but that’s the face that keeps telling me to not give up. Everyone has said I will know when it’s time to let her go and that time isn’t just yet. I know a lot have said they would have let her go before now which I understand their reasonings why but I just had to try as much as I could humanly do. We’re still early days yet but it’s all about baby steps

PSD

Visit site
Thank you everyone.

those who have used imprints, how soon do you notice they are having an impact? I know it’s early days yet but I have been to the yard this morning and she isn’t weight baring on that worse leg again but I’m assuming it’s too soon to see any kind of improvement

alibali

Visit site
Thank you everyone.

those who have used imprints, how soon do you notice they are having an impact? I know it’s early days yet but I have been to the yard this morning and she isn’t weight baring on that worse leg again but I’m assuming it’s too soon to see any kind of improvement

I'm sorry to hear that the initial improvement has been lost and she is non weight bearing again ☹️ Did you discuss this with your vet? What was their take on it? I hope she is more comfortable today. It's very difficult, such an emotional rollercoaster of improvement and then step backwards.

Reactions: TPO

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thank you everyone.

I'm really sorry PSD but she never was weight bearing on it, if the picture you posted with them on was representative of how she was normally. She was less obvious about it, but she still isn't standing on that fore leg. I didn't comment at the time because I didn't want to upset you.

I'm really, really reluctant to write this but I feel I have to. Even if she recovers her future life is likely to be no life for a horse to live. And there is a limit, which you don't want to reach, to the length of time the other foot can hold up under the strain of carrying all the weight by itself. If she was mine I would put her out of her pain.