Laminitis with no improvement

PSD

Visit site
Hi

she is so much better today. The day after she had them fitted she was in pain but my farrier and vet both said it could have just been from her being messed with and the shoes going on. She’s improving each day albeit slowly but I can see a huge difference in her. She’s pottering around her stable willingly, she’s happy to put her weight on both feet and even rest her hind feet now. She’s back to being her usual cheeky self, she whinnies on my arrival and even for her feeds with her meds in! I know she isn’t totally out of the woods yet and I’ve been told to take it each day as it comes but the improvement in such a short space of time is phenomenal

PSD

Visit site
Hello

we are 1 week post imprint shoes today. I won’t lie, she isn’t doing amazingly. I had expected quite a lot of improvement given how good the reviews are for the imprint shoes and a lot of people have had success from them with almost immediate relief for the horse.

I am now in serious discussions with my farrier about what do next. She would be due to have a new set put on in 2 weeks as the vet doesn’t want her going any longer than 3 weeks without a fresh set. She just isn’t as comfortable as I’d hoped, I’m not sure if it’s still too early to see any kind of improvement given it’s only been a week. She’s laying down a lot but she does get up when I arrive (I know she’s down if her head isn’t over the door when I pull up). Soon as she hears me park outside the stable she does get up, I had a look at her soles and given the fact I’m no farrier or vet I’m not sure if I’m even right to be concerned but Regardless I am anyway. I’ll try to attach photos, have sent my farrier a video of her attempting to move in the stable today and awaiting his response.

the outcome doesn’t seem hopeful at this stage now, as I say I’m in discussions about what to do next. I’m just hoping my vet doesn’t suggest we whack her pain relief up again and give her more time because at this point now I feel I am being cruel.

it’s such an emotional rollercoaster, I’ve done everything I can now. Sorry I’m rambling a bit, I’m not really sure what to be saying at this point. I feel like I’ve hit a brick wall.

Sorry the picture quality isn’t the best - it’s harder than I thought to get a photo of a foot! However, I think what I’m seeing, the rest of you will also see. I’ll let you guys have a look and let me know what you think.

E3B6DB3F-795B-49AF-A523-899CD5B18BAC.jpegC685B283-1EFD-4D5F-B9AA-57EB87BF9BF7.jpeg7909C25B-6A3D-45F6-8ED5-4474040088BA.jpeg

Nari

Visit site
I won't lie, I think I'd be asking the farrier to come out asap, and if he won't then I'd want the vet. How much bute is she on? If you possibly can I would increase it, she may as well be comfortable while you wait for help.

whiteflower

Visit site
I'm sorry for what you and your girl are going through. It's hard to tell from the photos but looks to me like you have a ridge of sole around the apex of the frog ? Has this developed since fitting the imprints ? Definitely worth further discussion with farrier and vet but as an aside I have seen something similar in a very thin soled pony where the bars almost grew down around the frog and was told by farrier it was the foot trying to 'support' the pedal bone by laying down more sole at this point and a positive thing.....I may be seeing it wrong though....I really hope you get some answers soon

meleeka

Visit site
I'm sorry for what you and your girl are going through. It's hard to tell from the photos but looks to me like you have a ridge of sole around the apex of the frog ? Has this developed since fitting the imprints ? Definitely worth further discussion with farrier and vet but as an aside I have seen something similar in a very thin soled pony where the bars almost grew down around the frog and was told by farrier it was the foot trying to 'support' the pedal bone by laying down more sole at this point and a positive thing.....I may be seeing it wrong though....I really hope you get some answers soon

I thought the same, although also no expert. Echo pain relief, what’s she on? Her feet aren’t going to heal as well if she’s still in a lot of pain, especially if she’s laying down most of the time.

Have a good chat with farrier and vet and perhaps it’s time to put a firm date on expected improvement?

PSD

Visit site
She’s on 3 bute a day and 40 paracetamol.

From my untrained eyes it looked as though the sole is bulging to me quite a bit. I can’t say for sure if it’s happened since the imprints but I’ve certainly noticed it a bit more. The farrier said she’s barely any sole left and this “bulging” or ridge is the pressure from the sinking.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You have a ridge of sole round the apex of the frog which looks to me to be where the pedal bone is distorting what remains of her sole. That ridge is the shape and location of the pedal bone. It almost certainly isn't bars growing, because they grow up the sides of the frog not out and round in a big arc like that. I think that is the pedal bone trying to break through the bottom of her foot.

I can only repeat what I posted before the imprints went on, that for me, it's time your horse was put out of her pain. Even if she recovers her life is unlikely to be one worth living, and metformin probably won't control her for long either. Twice you have been persuaded by experts to carry on against your own judgement and what you felt in your heart.

Please be strong for your lovely little horse and don't let them do it again.

PSD

Visit site
You have a ridge of sole round the apex of the frog which looks to me to be where the pedal bone is distorting what remains of her sole. That ridge is the shape and location of the pedal bone. It almost certainly isnt bars growing, because they grow up the sides of the frog not out and round in a big arc like that. I think that is the pedal bone trying to break through the bottom of her foot.

I can only repeat what I posted before the imprints went on, that for me, it's time your horse was put out of her pain. Even if she recovers her life is unlikely to be one worth living, and metformin probably won't control her for long either. Twice you have been persuaded by experts to carry on against your own judgement and what you felt in your heart.

Please be strong for your lovely little horse and don't let them do it again.

this is what I thought too but you’ve explained it a lot better thank you! They won’t be doing it again now, enough is enough. My vet is going to be calling me back later this evening to discuss in more detail but I think we all know now that I’ve done everything I can.

I feel the imprints are too little too late for her, am I wrong in saying that they would have caused added pressure to the sole because they only support the from and walls? In my head in makes sense (sorry) because surely if only the hoof wall is being supported then it’s making more of a downward force for the pedal bone? Sorry I hope I’m making sense I can’t explain myself properly

Nari

Visit site
If you think it's bulging then you really do need someone out to her straight away, for both your sakes pleas don't wait or be fobbed off that it will wait. Yes you might be wrong, but if you are then a professional opinion will give you peace of mind.

Laying down a lot isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's getting the weight completely off her feet and taking pressure off them, but on that level of pain relief I would be concerned that she still feels the need to.

It's terrifying to deal with, God knows I know that and how sick it can make you feel, but you need to know. Not knowing doesn't make anything go away, it just makes you less capable of making a decision you can live with. Be brave, pick up the phone and insist of a farrier or vet coming round today, or at the very worst first thing tomorrow. (((hugs)))

PSD

Visit site
I agree it's a pedal bone impression

PSD the 'support' issue re lamis I find really quite complicated with regards to adding/removing sole pressure/leaving the pedal bone suspended.

perhaps the less I know the better then! My brain doesn’t cope with complicated information lol

her sole is quite soft and spongey now too which I’ve always been told isn’t a good thing especially at this point.

Reactions: TPO

Nari

Visit site
I agree it's a pedal bone impression

PSD the 'support' issue re lamis I find really quite complicated with regards to adding/removing sole pressure/leaving the pedal bone suspended.

I think because it's so complicated there's no one right way and every case has to be treated on it's own needs. One of mine was shod with pads and putty according to x-rays, the other had styrofoams fitted and changed three times a week as he compressed them. Both were in on deep beds to the door and both pulled through despite it being metabolic problems and a lot of movement. We were lucky. The different approaches were because they had different degrees of problems, different levels of acuteness (is that a word?) and were very different people to work with. I truly think there isn't one right way, and every way also needs an awful amount of luck.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would concentrate on the quality of life that she can be expected to have long term if she does ever get off boxrest. Would she be able to live a 'normal' life, with grazing and companions? If not what are you putting her through all this for?

I have had 2 equines with laminitis - one a Welsh A and the other a Shire. Looking back, we kept them both too long and then lost them both in the end. Now, if there wasn't immediate improvement after vet/farrier involvement I would pts.

I am sorry you and your horse have had to go through this, it is a horrible 'emotional rollercoaster' and is most likely to end in making a difficult decision. Please get your vet out today.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
she shouldnt be is so much pain and you should either get stronger pain relief and/ or let her go now. she has been in pain for too long and you must be strong for your horse. just because we can treat doesnt mean we should and i think your vet and farrier dont want to give up but are not seeing her every day like you are. so sorry that you are in this position but she is your horse, your responsibility and as you know from my previous posts she would never have got this far if she was mine. hugs xx

alibali

Visit site
I'm sorry but I can only echo what others have said, she needs to be released from her pain now. I know you have tried so hard and invested so much both emotionally and financially but sometimes the kindest thing is also the hardest. I'm sorry the outcome wasn't better for you both.

Chianti

Visit site
I haven't commented for a while on your poor pony but have been following. I really feel if she isn't at least comfortable on three bute and that number of paracetamol a day then you have to say that enough is enough. I know it's the worst thing to do but as owners we have to do it. You have done everything that you could for her but you need to have a very honest discussion with your vet and ask what the chances are of her realistically becoming sound enough to lead a good life and how long would this take given that she's already done considerable box rest.