Larger natives

LHIS

Visit site
I'd go for a Fell (if you can find one over 14hh) or a Highland. I recently looked for a second horse and looked at Highlands. Found some nice ones but you will need a decent budget, I didn't find anything established and sensible for less than £3.5k.
All the haffies I know (2) are nutters - both mares. Ended up buying a trad cob.

Sparemare

Visit site
Every Haffy I have know, and theres been a few, have been basically a Section D in a barbie pony body. With the exception of 2, that were only kept partly sane by having the legs worked off them in a riding school. If you dont get on with Ds I'd be having a long hard think about whether a haffy would suit

Absolutely!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I am totally biased but NF all the way for me. I currently have a 14.2hh 24yo, a 14.1ish 7yo and forest run stock. A couple of 2yos that will probably make 14h. The Rennies breed them up north, Lomonside stud. They may know of something.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
thanks PF, will look them up.

I have to say the Haffies I knew a bit weren't like Section Ds. they were opinionated (and very wide although they were the sportier type) and more of a giant native brain as opposed to the Section D brain (which I refuse to say anything bad about :p). they do have a bit of a rep but then so do Exmoors and in their case its because people don't 'get' them.

the wideness thing is a good point, I don't have any specific physical problems other than being 47 ;) but I've never particularly liked riding wide horses although I have recently been riding a reasonably wide coblet which has been fine. I'd not be going for any particular breed without riding a few first.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Dales all the way for me. I had a part-bred Dales for a long time (crossed with a heavier coloured) and have never met one I didn't like! They've got that native "nous" without being too wide and would certainly survive the Weathertop climate without whinging!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Dales all the way for me. I had a part-bred Dales for a long time (crossed with a heavier coloured) and have never met one I didn't like! They've got that native "nous" without being too wide and would certainly survive the Weathertop climate without whinging!

:D they do seem quite hard to source but am onto it! there was a super one who used to attend clinics with us and its always stuck in my head to find out more about them.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I might be slightly biased, well ok very biased as I have two Dales.

How about this one? https://dalespony.org/advert/dartdale-william-aka-finn/ If I was looking I would be there like a shot. I believe he is about 10/11.

he's super-ticks all the boxes :) buuuut, I have one to sell first-and he does need to go first unfortunately.

eta he is quite a long way from me though. Surrey is a good 8-9 hour drive.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
he's super-ticks all the boxes :) buuuut, I have one to sell first-and he does need to go first unfortunately.

eta he is quite a long way from me though. Surrey is a good 8-9 hour drive.

I have a spare room, can pick you up from Heathrow too...... :) am not that far away.
Am just puzzled over price as is quite a bit lower than I'd expect tho.

Bruce17

Visit site
I have a Fell gelding that perfectly matches your wanted list. I paid £1800 for him after loaning hom for a few months.

Hipo

Visit site
thanks PF, will look them up.

I have to say the Haffies I knew a bit weren't like Section Ds. they were opinionated (and very wide although they were the sportier type) and more of a giant native brain as opposed to the Section D brain (which I refuse to say anything bad about :p). they do have a bit of a rep but then so do Exmoors and in their case its because people don't 'get' them.

the wideness thing is a good point, I don't have any specific physical problems other than being 47 ;) but I've never particularly liked riding wide horses although I have recently been riding a reasonably wide coblet which has been fine. I'd not be going for any particular breed without riding a few first.

You would be welcome to sit on my highland if you were anywhere near Yorkshire, but must warn you he would spoil you forever ��, lol.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I have a spare room, can pick you up from Heathrow too...... :) am not that far away.
Am just puzzled over price as is quite a bit lower than I'd expect tho.

he does seem very reasonable. and you enablers are ignoring the fact that I have one to sell first-one that is a few weeks off advertising. its a kind offer though, thank you.

Have seen a stunning Fell at Kendal though. grey :(