Larger natives

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
trying to cheer myself up as will have to go horse shopping in the next 6 months or so-I hate horse shopping. I wont have much of a budget ether.

I've always promised myself a haffie-and I still want one. But I have in the past admired Dales ponies. I would not rule out Fells/Dales if I could fine one at 14h fish, or a Highland if not grey. I do not want a Section D or Connie.

Pony needs to be hardy, a good doer (to go with good doer Exmoor companion). No youngsters, not a world beater but has to be good to hack alone and good with cattle and farm traffic. Would prefer a gelding, not fussy on age but no youngsters. Also a type to not care if not ridden for a while and forgiving enough for me to clamber all over, ride bareback if wanted etc etc.

if anyone has any experiences or ideas of budget for what I'm looking for, I'd be grateful. In Scotland but will to travel a bit.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Humph :p

I agree greys are too much work ;) I've known a few nice dales/fell mostly quite chilled up for anything one was as sharp as a welsh ;). I'd say you're just as likely to find a haffie though, what draws you to them?

CMcC

Visit site
New Forest. Meets all your criteria - size wise and good doers. Mine is fine in traffic, passed some cows the other day, didn't bat an eyelid. Not sure if it is a myth but I have heard that ponies born on the Forest are good with traffic, cattle etc as they have seen everything since birth.
Also mine is a dark dun and is often mistaken for an Exmoor (it is a bit weird as he is 14 2, so would be a giant Exmoor) but you could have a nice matching pair!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I don't want a grey because I lost my amazing horse at 11yo due to aggressive melanomas-no greys.

I rarely see a Connie these days with decent bone and apart from that, they would be out of budget and too sporty for my needs. I don't want to deal with a Section D brain-we would not be suited. I've known enough of them to know I don't want one (although I now expect to be regaled with stores of bombproof, sane Ds ;) )

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
New Forest. Meets all your criteria - size wise and good doers. Mine is fine in traffic, passed some cows the other day, didn't bat an eyelid. Not sure if it is a myth but I have heard that ponies born on the Forest are good with traffic, cattle etc as they have seen everything since birth.
Also mine is a dark dun and is often mistaken for an Exmoor (it is a bit weird as he is 14 2, so would be a giant Exmoor) but you could have a nice matching pair!

I had a Newfie as a kid, lovely pony. But whenever I look I only see quite weedy 13h ponies-and never very far north!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Humph :p

I agree greys are too much work ;) I've known a few nice dales/fell mostly quite chilled up for anything one was as sharp as a welsh ;). I'd say you're just as likely to find a haffie though, what draws you to them?

the Haffies? they're purdy :p

I used to know some up here that did endurance and they were super ponies. I also narrowly missed out on a fabulous one years ago-a really lovely all rounder-that I am still kicking myself over! I like the fact they're up to weight, live on fresh air, hard as nails and not too big. The other breed I really admire is the criollo, but they will be out of budget I expect.

its not the hard work of a grey I object to, I am a sucker for a grey but never again.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I don't want a grey because I lost my amazing horse at 11yo due to aggressive melanomas-no greys.

I rarely see a Connie these days with decent bone and apart from that, they would be out of budget and too sporty for my needs. I don't want to deal with a Section D brain-we would not be suited. I've known enough of them to know I don't want one (although I now expect to be regaled with stores of bombproof, sane Ds ;) )

Aah I see, so you've had a bad experience with a grey. I've been very lucky and have had a number of greys, none of them have had problems with melanomas - think its just the luck of the draw though :(

Ha ha, well Im not one to say I had a "sane" Welsh D, mine was your usual stereotypical one (although he was pretty bombproof to be fair). But yes you're right there's probably more sensible breeds to have. Depends where you are in Scotland, but I rarely see many Dales/Fell/New Forests/Haflingers. The usual big ones are the highlands and Welsh D's. So maybe a (non grey) Highland would be your best bet but Ive seen a few advertised and was quite surprised at how expensive they seem to be these days for a bog standard one. What about a Fjord, have seen a few of those lately? Id suggest putting out a wanted advert on your local horsey facebook page? Then people can go to you rather than you having to search.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Aah I see, so you've had a bad experience with a grey. I've been very lucky and have had a number of greys, none of them have had problems with melanomas - think its just the luck of the draw though :(

Ha ha, well Im not one to say I had a "sane" Welsh D, mine was your usual stereotypical one (although he was pretty bombproof to be fair). But yes you're right there's probably more sensible breeds to have. Depends where you are in Scotland, but I rarely see many Dales/Fell/New Forests/Haflingers. The usual big ones are the highlands and Welsh D's. So maybe a (non grey) Highland would be your best bet but Ive seen a few advertised and was quite surprised at how expensive they seem to be these days for a bog standard one. What about a Fjord, have seen a few of those lately? Id suggest putting out a wanted advert on your local horsey facebook page? Then people can go to you rather than you having to search.

yes, Highlands have held their price. and no offence to Highland owners but I've known/ridden quite a few and they'd not be my first choice. I am close enough to Northern England to go view Dales/Fells and for the right horse I would travel.

millikins

Visit site
How about an Eriskay? Mainly greys but there are some bays and the odd black one. Go up to 13.2hh, ours is a little overheight at 13.3hh. Plenty of substance, clever, good doers, completely weatherproof and well within budget, usually under £1200.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Every Haffy I have know, and theres been a few, have been basically a Section D in a barbie pony body. With the exception of 2, that were only kept partly sane by having the legs worked off them in a riding school. If you dont get on with Ds I'd be having a long hard think about whether a haffy would suit

catkin

Visit site
As you've got Exmoors then you'd probably be OK with a Fell's sense of humour. They are fab ponies but the ones I know, including my own, thrive on work, they have busy brains and will make their own 'fun'. They are also one-person (or one-family) ponies and love attention - we like that but not everyone does!!.

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
I have a 15hh North Swedish but I imagine they're going to be difficult to find over in the UK! There are some there though :) have yet to meet one who wasn't salt of the earth/laid back, though they have a stubborn streak if you cross what they consider to be a fair line.

Rollin

Visit site

I bought a Dales (not registered) as a companion for another horse and for my Dyspraxia son to ride. He was an absolute star in every way - save he would not hack alone. Either he or his ringer. owned by Foxhill Stables film yard, was used in the Adam Ant video for Stand and Deliver as his speciality was as a Highwayman's horse.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I only asked about the haffies just because it might help pick what else :). Personally I do find even Fs hair a bit of a pain which would mean I wouldn't have a fell/dales myself, that and my hips struggle with the width. I wondered about a forester, there are plenty of 14.2s about lovely couple on nfed ATM but figured there were probably not many near you.

be positive

Visit site
I had a super Dales in to sell, a very full up 14.2 that had won in the show ring and was a super safe, fun hack, I put him up at just over £4k and had loads of interest but the only offer was from someone that I was not prepared to sell him to, he is still on the yard having been bought by one of my long term liveries who is having great fun on him, he would have suited you perfectly.

They are few and far between but are out there if you look on the websites, Horsequest is probably the place to check regularly there were a few last winter.

Laura2408

Visit site
Ridden dales ponies tend to be like hens teeth. I had one and he was lovely but very strong willed which I think is typical of the breed. I paid somewhere around £3k for him as he didn't have much of a showing record and had mainly been hacked.

I now have a fell who is even more opinionated than the dales however she was cheaper to buy! Youngsters tend to come up quite cheaply but I would expect to pay around £3000 for an established ridden, more with a record. 14hh would be overheight and unshowable though so that could reduce the price if that didn't bother you.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Every Haffy I have know, and theres been a few, have been basically a Section D in a barbie pony body. With the exception of 2, that were only kept partly sane by having the legs worked off them in a riding school. If you dont get on with Ds I'd be having a long hard think about whether a haffy would suit

thats a fair comment, thanks.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
MoC, I've had many Fells over the years, have always gone well with the (also many!) Exmoors.
Have also had Dales too, tho not as many.
Worth joining the 2 main facebook pages :)

good to know, I will join up. I really have no experience of Fells and Dales other than those I've seen at clinics or endurance so would want to do my research first.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I only asked about the haffies just because it might help pick what else :). Personally I do find even Fs hair a bit of a pain which would mean I wouldn't have a fell/dales myself, that and my hips struggle with the width. I wondered about a forester, there are plenty of 14.2s about lovely couple on nfed ATM but figured there were probably not many near you.

the wideness bothers me with all of them tbh and is something I need to think about. honestly, if someone could find me a good, chunky 14.2h forester I would be made up.

thanks everyone for your replies. budget depends on several factors that I'll need to see how they pan out. I never want to show anything (sorry!) so thats not an issue. My experience of Eriskays has not been great but neither has it been recent.

North Swedish would be great, but seeing how much they charge to send over a haynet, I'm guessing that would be a pricey thing to do!

Of course, it doesn't need to be a specific breed either and honestly, I'm so depressed by the whole bloody thing right now that I'm quite close to giving up completely.

Visit site
Fell ponies all the way! I really miss my fell and I will get another one day when my herd has depleted a bit.

Jasps was a beautiful, forward going ride. Nice off the leg, sometimes he dropped on the forehand but usually when he was tired. Never strong, went anywhere, did anything and never missed a beat. You could ride him everyday or you could leave him and ride once in a blue moon. It made no difference to him. He could jump like a stag too. I lost him a few years ago due to a random bout of colic at the age of 17. He never had a sick or sorry day bar a bout of lammi which is why he came back from his loan home but he didn't have it again in the next 2 years.

You would never look back from a fell pony.

There's also a fell stud that crosses fells with coloured cobs which look awesome fun!

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
Ridden dales ponies tend to be like hens teeth. I had one and he was lovely but very strong willed which I think is typical of the breed. I paid somewhere around £3k for him as he didn't have much of a showing record and had mainly been hacked.

I now have a fell who is even more opinionated than the dales however she was cheaper to buy! Youngsters tend to come up quite cheaply but I would expect to pay around £3000 for an established ridden, more with a record. 14hh would be overheight and unshowable though so that could reduce the price if that didn't bother you.

I have had 2 Dales and both were similar in outlook, the first was the easiest I have ever started, had absolutely no opinions that did not include me in the decision making, having been running out with a herd of mares as a stallion until just before he came to me I expected him to be tricky but he was never difficult in any way, the one here now is very similar, you ask he says YES and offers more, his attitude is fantastic, he will plod along on a loose rein, be up for a gallop, has learnt to jump in a few lessons, yesterday got 74% in his second ever prelim, he won both tests and there is still more to come.
Strong willed in a negative way is not how I would describe either of them, bold, intelligent, willing, yes they learn bad as well as good but that is down to the owner to work with, mine may be exceptions of the breed but I would have another any day.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Fell ponies all the way! I really miss my fell and I will get another one day when my herd has depleted a bit.

Jasps was a beautiful, forward going ride. Nice off the leg, sometimes he dropped on the forehand but usually when he was tired. Never strong, went anywhere, did anything and never missed a beat. You could ride him everyday or you could leave him and ride once in a blue moon. It made no difference to him. He could jump like a stag too. I lost him a few years ago due to a random bout of colic at the age of 17. He never had a sick or sorry day bar a bout of lammi which is why he came back from his loan home but he didn't have it again in the next 2 years.

You would never look back from a fell pony.

I remember your lovely pony! I am used to managing fatties and have access to hill grazing which makes life easier. Its also the southern uplands so whatever it is, it has to withstand sideyways rain/sleet and -10 windchill for a few months each year. Most importantly it does need to be able to cope with inconsistent work-too many commitments for something that needs ridden 7/7.

Hipo

Visit site
I would always pick a highland every time, although probably a bit biased as mine has been a dream, I'm sure they all can't be the same. A huge bonus.....he is bay. He did cost me a lot of money, but is priceless and will never be sold. I think a good all round highland, non world beater , would be at least £3000.
I can do you a good Exmoor though if you'd like another ��

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I would always pick a highland every time, although probably a bit biased as mine has been a dream, I'm sure they all can't be the same. A huge bonus.....he is bay. He did cost me a lot of money, but is priceless and will never be sold. I think a good all round highland, non world beater , would be at least £3000.
I can do you a good Exmoor though if you'd like another ��

oooh a bay one, you are lucky :) I realise that realistically I need a budget of about £3k for almost anything, will just have to see.

I would prefer something bigger than an Exmoor-I'm only 5'6 but unfortunately a bit long in the torso.

JFTDWS

Visit site
For that brief, I'd go for a highland too. But I'm definitely biased. I'd also say that there are highlands and highlands - I've ridden ponies for people (mostly for sale) who would put me off the breed for life if I didn't know they weren't all like that... They can be lovely, responsive, comfortable rides. (Even if some of them are ignorant, lazy, uncomfortable and agricultural in every way...) I do like a nice Dales pony too though.