Larger natives

Greylegs

Visit site
Not read all the posts but your OP described my highland perfectly. He's yellow dun ... a very serviceable colour ... gets my vote every time.

windand rain

Visit site
Nipna stud is in the north east they have beautiful ponies and Anna is a lovely young lady I am sure she would help you find what you are looking for when the time comes. She also makes beautiful leatherwork bespoke bridles etc and no I dont have any connection at all just she was growing up showing in our area for a long time so got to know her through that

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Ruling out connemara's leaves you very little scope for anything useful.

What a load of clap trap you type :mad3: obviously you haven't had much to do with other large breeds at all or you wouldn't have put that.
Sweetie, when you know not a lot about a subject, then don't open your mouth (or use your fingers) as it makes you look a complete eejit.

windand rain

Visit site
Wouldnt own another Connie if I was given it to be honest very pretty but pretty useless in my experience only do what they want to and only when they want to. Plenty of scope for more but not very giving in the main. Having said that it has been mares that have been like the gelding that has just arrived is sweet but again a bit dim. I know many people love them but it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Motherofchickens ..is it worth looking at the Icelandic pony breeders south of Edinburgh ..in the pentlands? Admittedly I don't know much about them but they are dark colours..nice looking and hardy?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Motherofchickens ..is it worth looking at the Icelandic pony breeders south of Edinburgh ..in the pentlands? Admittedly I don't know much about them but they are dark colours..nice looking and hardy?

Hi, its a good point-they are hardy ;). I have ridden Icelandics quite a lot and a gaited animal wouldn't be my first choice but they are cute and come in great colours! am also 100% sure they will be out of budget.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Nipna stud is in the north east they have beautiful ponies and Anna is a lovely young lady I am sure she would help you find what you are looking for when the time comes. She also makes beautiful leatherwork bespoke bridles etc and no I dont have any connection at all just she was growing up showing in our area for a long time so got to know her through that

another one I have looked up-smashing ponies.

thanks all-I have a lot to look at which is brilliant :)

Cecile

Visit site
Worth checking out with the sweet itch organisation, was years ago but there was something in one of the sweet itch newsletters about Icelandic and higher incidence of sweet itch (Could be wrong)

New Forest all the way, I rode a NF as a child, bay too, miles and hours of enjoyable hacking and far too lazy to put on a saddle most days

Cocorules

Visit site
New Forest. Meets all your criteria - size wise and good doers. Mine is fine in traffic, passed some cows the other day, didn't bat an eyelid. Not sure if it is a myth but I have heard that ponies born on the Forest are good with traffic, cattle etc as they have seen everything since birth.

This is completely true mine is forest born and doesn't bat an eyelid at traffic.

Lintel

Visit site
Very biased.
Sounds like my boy would be ideal for your needs.... Looks a bit like a Haffie in colour too ;)
But he's a highland through and through!

pansymouse

Visit site
I love Section Ds just because they're brainy and sharp; mine is crossed with a TB so she's brainy, sharp and fast :D

If I wanted something less challenging I would go for a Highland - the therapy centre next to my yard have several (from Balmoral, no less) - one is a particularly pretty mouse dun (I'm was nearly short for calling it donkey coloured...).

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
Not all Highlands are stuffy but some certainly can be. I've been lucky with mine as neither have been overweight plods (although one was over height :eek:) but they are not capable of the extension of a WB don't have the speed of a TB or the jumping ability of some other breeds, as a rule. There are, as always, exceptions :p

For hacking, showing and a bit of low level dressage and jumping (although some do well at both the latter) I think they are great and I am so happy that I went back onto ponies in my 40s :D

JFTDWS

Visit site

Ah yes. Very true. Nobody's ever done anything useful with a non-connie native. I can't think why I own mine - they just don't do anything I want them too. :rolleyes3:

WelshD

Visit site

seriously? how ignorant.

Some people just don't know what a talented well put together native pony looks like let alone what they are capable of, there are Welsh D's and New Forests jumping at high level and all breeds need to manage decent heights in working hunter classes so pretty sure they can cope with a bit of hacking!

OP I would look further afield for a nice New Forest, if you put part of your budget towards a few trips and hotels I'm sure you will find something well suited and still within budget - the distance travelled will be long forgotten a couple of months down the line

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
OP I would look further afield for a nice New Forest, if you put part of your budget towards a few trips and hotels I'm sure you will find something well suited and still within budget - the distance travelled will be long forgotten a couple of months down the line

its not so much the actual travel etc (one of my horses came from Portugal, the other from deepest Wales-I love a road trip) its the time-I just can't get away easily. Those commitments I spoke of include two jobs, lots of animals and family ones. I am away 5 days in August and its literally the only time OH and I can work it between us before October (since last october) lol.

Once the other one is sold, I wont limit myself to a specific breed-I'll be looking at all sorts ;) but looking at Dales and Fells has made me more excited about horses than I've been for some considerable time and am looking forward to finding out more about them. With the right pony I may well get back into some low level stuff again (just not showing!) plus a bit of endurance-I have the transport.

Last edited:

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Wouldnt own another Connie if I was given it to be honest very pretty but pretty useless in my experience only do what they want to and only when they want to...

You have just summed up my chap's temperament to a t! I love him dearly, but am very aware that he wouldn't suit everyone. It's probably worth noting that I also love Haflingers and Icelandics, although in my personal experience neither of these were as *ahem* self-possessed as the Connemara! :D

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
I have a fell, a highland and 3 welsh. The fell, is loving, stubborn and mischievous and fairly lazy. The highland cuddly, willing and forward. They've almost put me off my welshies but not quite. So much easier even in paddy mode