Laura Collett and Noble Bestman

MillionDollar

Visit site
I have it on very good authority that she behaves like a spoilt brat and has pissed the Walkers off. I mean who would ever move from a yard like that 'because it was time to move on'.............no you had no choice but to move. You couldn't have a nicer yard, it is AMAZING!!!

Caledonia

Visit site
Well given her comments (now removed) on twitter about Ditcheat needing to get over it when Kauto was moved to her, perhaps she ought to take some of her own advice.

Kiribati_uk

Visit site
What the fluff..........Laura is unproffesional because she says she has a hangover, you lot obviously live a sheltered life, ever read Ben Hobdays/Gregor Knox(Jontys Evans head Lad instigater of The world FAMOUS Knox challenge!!) Twitter?? Another well known Youngish eventer was passed out before pudding at the ERA ball.....But suppose that's ok?!
Event riders work hard and play even harder......I worked for an Irish Olympic rider so I know first hand!!!
So what if Laura is a spoilt brat, she gets results on many varied horses!!! The are much worse princesses in the eventing world, and don't even get me started on the SJers!!!
And yes Laura might say things that are a bit 'ouch' but surely you cant knock the girl for her honesty.......And if you don't like her twitter FB don't read it, SIMPLES!!

Patterdale

Visit site
Event riders work hard and play even harder......The are much worse princesses in the eventing world, and don't even get me started on the SJers!!!

Very true. And there are more badly behaved male riders than female!

But you'd be hard pushed to find ANY event rider under 50 who doesn't enjoy a sherbet (or 10) at a 3 day. It's part of the fun, so I don't really think its fair to criticise her for getting in on the action.

TarrSteps

Visit site
What the fluff..........Laura is unproffesional because she says she has a hangover, you lot obviously live a sheltered life, ever read Ben Hobdays/Gregor Knox(Jontys Evans head Lad instigater of The world FAMOUS Knox challenge!!) Twitter?? Another well known Youngish eventer was passed out before pudding at the ERA ball.....But suppose that's ok?!
Event riders work hard and play even harder......I worked for an Irish Olympic rider so I know first hand!!!
So what if Laura is a spoilt brat, she gets results on many varied horses!!! The are much worse princesses in the eventing world, and don't even get me started on the SJers!!!
And yes Laura might say things that are a bit 'ouch' but surely you cant knock the girl for her honesty.......And if you don't like her twitter FB don't read it, SIMPLES!!

Trust me, I have not led a sheltered life. :)

Social media, if you're in business, is advertising. I don't think anyone is particularly bothered by the partying stuff (although, if you think employers don't care about stuff like that, don't bet on it - Google is their friend, too!) and anyone in horses would be well used to that, it's the bit about bashing owners/ex owners. Would YOU do business with someone you thought would speak ill of you?

Anyway, she's a good rider and seems like basically a good kid. (And yes, she is a kid.) So hopefully this minor fuss will act as a reminder that people ARE reading and she can get back to the business of riding nice horses.

Last edited:

Kiribati_uk

Visit site
@Tarrsteps was generalising about the sheltered life, I bet a few of us fellow HHo have been dragged thru several hedges backwards hehehe!
But I say she is hurting understandably because losing a horse is a serious kick in the guts, BUt she hasn't been unproffesional on twitter and her FB account is her PRIVATE account!!
But reading fellow event riders/grooms tweets /FB statuses makes me laugh because the first proper event yard I worked on, the first thing we were taught was what happens on this yard stays here.........which has stuck with me throughout!! and many WPs were sent packing for the smallest indescrection which is right imo!!
But I think the one thing Laura needs to learn is treat everyone as ********s until proven otherwise, Its a cutthroat business and a lot of horsefolk would sell there own granny to make a buck!!

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
But I say she is hurting understandably because losing a horse is a serious kick in the guts, BUt she hasn't been unproffesional on twitter and her FB account is her PRIVATE account!!

It might be her private account but the settings mean that the world and his wife can read what she puts. People have been sacked for similar indiscretions. Someone needs to tell her that she's not helping herself.

Dusty85

Visit site
Kiribati_uk----- Im an not sure you get what we are trying to say.

Yes- she is young and in her private life she can do whatever the hell she pleases.

She is trying to run a business- thats what being an eventer is- the more recognition you get, you hope that more owners will give you rides.

You have to be careful now a days with what you are putting on the public domain- if people can see it then its fair game. It is unprofessional to do/say/act the way she is.

If she really thinks it that unfair- then she should have a private (the key word being private- she needs to change her settings) and her public working one- where she must up hold a certain professionalism.

Thats all we're saying. No one thinks she has to lead the life of a nun!

For what its worth- all of this in addition to the Kauto star bickering has really led me to have a negative opinion of her. She seems like someone who isn't really that thankful for what life has given her.

claracanter

Visit site
As someone who started following her twitter after she was given Kauto, I was shocked that she moved yards so suddenly and lost the ride on NB. Obviously she is keeping something private or we would all know WHY both these things happened. I do find it odd she doesn't tweet so much about Kauto any more. Has the novelty worn off? For someone who had a near death experience earlier on in the year, you would expect her to have a greater understanding of how lucky she is.

Kiribati_uk

Visit site
It might be her private account but the settings mean that the world and his wife can read what she puts. People have been sacked for similar indiscretions. Someone needs to tell her that she's not helping herself.

Surely if you are reading someone elses profile that your not friends with is called Cyber stalking?!! (personally I think that's a bit weird!)
And surely if you don't like what she says/writes/does don't read it.........simples!!!
What Laura does is her business, not ours so surely she can do what she wants?!, she is old enough to make her own decisions whether they are right or wrong its her choice, No one elses.
Really irritates me how hho/forums tend to slate people, the very rarely seems to be any love........I'm not sure if it's a bit of jealousy or what?!
And before anyone has a hissy fit....that comment isn't aimed at anyone........If it was I would of said your name!!!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'm pretty sure you don't think that is how Facebook works. ;)

And you are absolutely allowed your opinion, just as other people are allowed theirs. And people can do what they want. And they can understand that other people will have opinions on what they think and do, particularly if they publicise those thoughts and actions, which implies they WANT people to know about them.

I don't read that anyone is jealous. I do read that people are perhaps a bit perplexed that someone who has been given so many opportunities and so much support at such a young age feels so hard done by by the vagaries of life but, as you say, people will think what they want. I don't even read that anyone is slating her abilities - many people have commented on how good a rider she is. It's just the client management that might need a brush up, which is completely in the public domain.

For the record, I don't think it is ANYONE'S business what goes on between an owner and an rider, why people move or why horses change hands. I don't go around asking people those questions in real life! But if you put it out there, people are going to comment.

I actually have no opinion on Laura but I think the collision of the Internet and the horse business is very interesting, as a general subject. Personally, I am amazed that anyone thinks what they put on line is private and, even more, that anyone young thinks that!

Dusty85

Visit site
Yes of course, Kiribati, how silly of me to let my stalker tendencies become public knowledge.

Heaven forbid should I ever look at anyone's Facebook profile ever again... ;P

TarrSteps

Visit site
Surely if you are reading someone elses profile that your not friends with is called Cyber stalking?!!

Just to clarify, it is not. Reading information about someone that they make public and publish on line is not stalking - it's like reading about the Kardashians on the Daily Mail site! YOU may think it's icky but it's perfectly legal and okay.

(I know that is not your point but it's worth saying. No one has done anything awful by reading a PUBLIC profile of a PUBLIC figure who presumably wants her views to be known. It's not fair to imply that they have.)

Kiribati_uk

Visit site
Yes of course, Kiribati, how silly of me to let my stalker tendencies become public knowledge.

Heaven forbid should I ever look at anyone's Facebook profile ever again... ;P

Wow attention seeking much.........I said imo I thought it was weird, I also think riding without a hat/driving without a seatbelt is stupid but thats my OPINION!!

@Tarrsteps Im a big believer in if you don't agree with it walk away (the are exceptions obviously), Everyone has an opinion on everyone elses business/life, which I find a bit weird! But the are a lot more eventers who whinge/moan about owners etc on twitter, but I suppose in the age of social media you have to be squeaky clean or at least appear to be........

dieseldog

Visit site
It could be worse!

LC: Worse day EVER!!!!!

AF1: Oh No HUN whats up

LC: Thanks HUN, worse day, really upset :(

AF2: HUN!!! You know I'm always here for you :angel:

LC: I can't talk about it HUN, I'll send you a PM!

(LC - Laura, AF- Adoring Fan)

She has stepped away from the pity posts at least.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Wow attention seeking much.........I said imo I thought it was weird, I also think riding without a hat/driving without a seatbelt is stupid but thats my OPINION!!

@Tarrsteps Im a big believer in if you don't agree with it walk away (the are exceptions obviously), Everyone has an opinion on everyone elses business/life, which I find a bit weird! But the are a lot more eventers who whinge/moan about owners etc on twitter, but I suppose in the age of social media you have to be squeaky clean or at least appear to be........

I agree, it's hardly an isolated event! And it hardly started with social media, the only difference now is it's out there forever.

I'm quite interested in how riders see owners, having spent almost my entire working life in the horse world. I would agree with you, there seems to be quite a lot of biting of the hand that feeds you. I will say though I've never read a negative comment about an owner, past or present, from Mark Todd, Andrew Nicholson, WFP, or any number of lesser lights.

As a boss of mine used to say, remember that every client used to be someone else's and will likely be someone else's again. As was said earlier, he who pays the piper calls the tune - I guess I'm just surprised that many people don't seem to see it that way!

Lolo

Visit site
If I search for her on FB, her 'private' page comes up over her 'public' one. I think she needs to be careful of that, and needs to clamp her security settings down so it's the other way round.

popsdosh

Visit site
The people on here who are perceived to be criticizing LC by the groupies are merely pointing out that her childish behavior is business suicide. Dont give me that crap about her private FB being private ,she is not so naive as to get her privacy settings wrong im afraid. She had something to say to the world and as many people who would listen the only naivety she has shown in the way people would react. LC has been handed some great opportunities that other more talented riders have not,she just does not seem to appreciate it .

lannerch

Visit site
I personally do not care what LC does away from eventing. All I care about is results.
To suggest someone that looks on simeone else's Facebook profile is cyberstalking is ridiculous which means I to am a cyberstalker ( but have never bothered looking up LC )
So LC acts her age, big deal!

ihatework

Visit site
The people on here who are perceived to be criticizing LC by the groupies are merely pointing out that her childish behavior is business suicide. Dont give me that crap about her private FB being private ,she is not so naive as to get her privacy settings wrong im afraid. She had something to say to the world and as many people who would listen the only naivety she has shown in the way people would react. LC has been handed some great opportunities that other more talented riders have not,she just does not seem to appreciate it .

Couldn't agree more.
As someone involved in event ownership (in a miniscule way I hasten to add), I keep a mental list of those riders who I probably wouldn't want to associate myself with. Thankfully I have the oppertunity to support, in a small way, an incredibly talented, professional and completely modest young rider.

Caol Ila

Visit site
LOL, this thread. It never fails to amaze how bad people's judgment can be with using social media; well, maybe not, since we live in a panopticon world and there's this kind of culture of putting everything out there for the world to see. However, it's not hard to simply not write it on Facebook. Just don't do it. Hungover tae f ** ck due to a wild party? Does it need to go on Facebook? No. Narked at your boss? Well, you'd better know who is reading it before you put that up there.

scheherazade

Visit site
This thread is no different from many other non-horse related scenarios. I am sure we all know someone who has put something ill advised on FB / Twitter and forgotten that they are also 'friends' with their mother / boss / ex etc and got into trouble for it. So many people (and not just the young) seem to overlook the privacy and implications of what they are writing. Too many things are written in anger or jest with no thought before pressing 'Send'. It saddens me that people put so many intimate minutiae of their lives up with little or no consideration for others it may be affecting.

And I totally agree about keeping the business and private profiles totally separate.