Lending a trailer to a friend

Asha

Visit site
No, never, ever ever.

Done it, been handed back the damaged trailer to sort out at my own expense.

Ditto clippers.

Yep, fallen fowl of the clippers too. Had them back blunt and full of hair.

I will just add , there are a couple of people i would lend anything too. Both very good long term real friends, who would do the same for me. Theres just not many of them around, ive just assumed the OP is talking about friends that are more of an acquaintance.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I do lend my trailer to close friends if they need one. It's not brand new though. I always say 'you break it you get it fixed' but I'd not see a friend stuck if I could help them. Acquaintances can hire one.
Not forgiven my friend for the state my tent came back in though?

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Woman I used to know borrowed a brand new trailer to take her mare and twin foals to vet hospital. Wrote it off under a low bridge. Don't think it ended very well. She was a very 'entitled' sort.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Gosh I lend pretty much anything from horses, kit, and I have lent my OH to tow friends around!
But, I lend stuff to people who have the same ethos and morals as me. I borrowed a trailer managed to knock the roof light and so just replaced it immediately.

I would have missed out on so much without having generous friends. One year at Longleat I evented on a borrowed horse, in a borrowed lorry with a borrowed saddle driven by my borrowed friend because I couldn't drive the lorry.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
This is going to make me sound rather selfish but I don’t have the funds to just go out and buy a new trailer and accidents happen however careful people are. If I damage it it’s my fault and my insurance will pay but why should I be inconvenienced if it’s off the road. It would be me that would have to arrange to get it repaired and me without transport so I just wouldn’t do it. In an emergency, absolutely yes I would do it in a heartbeat with me driving but other than that not a chance.
I absolutely agree. I've never lent mine out due to all you say above.

OP, only last week a friend lent her trailer out mid week. Unfortunately when mutual friend was coming back, her horse kicked the proverbial out of it (never done it before apparently) and the 2 yr old trailer will be away 3 to 4 weeks to be fixed. Its completely unusable as it is.
Borrower has washed her hands of it, offered 100 to cover the excess and nothing to lender to hire something last weekend, nor till the trailer is fixed. They are already no longer friends....

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I do lend my trailer to close friends if they need one. It's not brand new though. I always say 'you break it you get it fixed' but I'd not see a friend stuck if I could help them.
I think it can be trickier lending out older kit.

I’ve owned my trailer from new, it’s in good nick, but it’s 14 years old now. If I wrote off the roof or a ramp, I’d get it replaced with a new one by the supplying main dealer, but that would be costly. I’d expect anyone borrowing to do the same, but likely they‘d want it done on the cheap with second hand parts.

I had the same issue with lending out older clippers and electric fencing kit. It’s all fine until it isn’t.

teddypops

Visit site
Jeez I can't believe how many wouldn't lend at all! I lent my lorry to an acquaintance (though wouldn't do that again) but happily lent to close friends. And have borrowed from close friends. Would do same with trailer.

There are probably only a handful of people who I would, but they are certainly there!
I hate lending stuff out so don’t, but equally I hate borrowing, so don’t do that either. Personal choice.

teddypops

Visit site
Yep, fallen fowl of the clippers too. Had them back blunt and full of hair.

I will just add , there are a couple of people i would lend anything too. Both very good long term real friends, who would do the same for me. Theres just not many of them around, ive just assumed the OP is talking about friends that are more of an acquaintance.
I lent my clippers to my step daughter to clip her horse. She used them to clip 7 horses for cash. I got them back dirty, blunt and with no thanks. She hasn’t had them since!

doodle

Visit site
I would lend out my old trailer, or do the towing and take people. Also had 6.30 am starts in February/loooooong days but felt I couldn’t say no.

When I got my new 511 I decided I was no longer lending it or taking people to shows. It cost a lot of money, I look after it and don’t want silly little minor damages to it. Almost immediately I was asked to take someone somewhere. I said no. I was then the bad person. I also then had another person telling me I could definitely fit in her horse when I was taking mine, when I said I would be over weight. Again I was being the bad person. However I stood firm and haven’t had requests since.

The only exception would be for my best friend. And I did end up last minute taking her daughter somewhere. I know there were mutterings that I did that but I owe her!

Last edited:

doodle

Visit site
I lent my clippers to my step daughter to clip her horse. She used them to clip 7 horses for cash. I got them back dirty, blunt and with no thanks. She hasn’t had them since!

I also lent my clippers. I had used them once. After I eventually got them back, They came back filthy, the box was filthy with oil everywhere. I was not happy and they won’t be lent again.

JGC

Visit site
I've just bought a lorry and it's definitely a once-in-a-lifetime purchase. I won't be lending it out, firstly because I don't want to pay to have it insured to drive by anyone, secondly, because I am not going to be able to replace this lorry, so I don't want to be adding a load of mileage to it. I can't get the mileage back once it's gone. If there is an emergency, I will absolutely help out, but there are small lorries and trailers available to hire near by so for anything planned or longer distance, people definitely have options. I have loaned out all kinds of stuff, rugs, expensive saddles etc., but I do work on the principle of not lending out anything that you can't afford to replace!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I know someone who lent their trailer to a friend at the yard, their horse kicked the proverbial out of it and offered nothing for repairs. For this reason when I get my trailer I won't. I will happily take someone with me, or drive them somewhere if I am free and I know their horse. Or as others said for emergencies.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I even came off worst (or rather my car did) when I answered an SOS from a friend whose car had broken down while towing. Would I come and pick her, her trailer and the horse up - yes, of course.

Her trailer was old and had not been serviced in a long while. The brakes snatched and banged noisily against my tow ball all the away home - friend shrugged and said it must be my car, it didn’t do it with hers. Then once back, I reversed the trailer as asked to park it up, but was apparently a foot off the right spot so she asked me to pull forward and back it up again into her preferred spot. I then scratched my new-to-us car on an overhanging hedge as I did so (it was on her own drive, so no neighbours or liveries to worry about). Grrr.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Jeez I can't believe how many wouldn't lend at all! I lent my lorry to an acquaintance (though wouldn't do that again) but happily lent to close friends. And have borrowed from close friends. Would do same with trailer.

There are probably only a handful of people who I would, but they are certainly there!

I’m the same I always let people I trusted drive my lorry and never had any problems. I’d even take them places myself as long as it wasn’t a regular expectation. I know what it’s like not to have transport. I’m back in that position myself at the moment and will struggle to afford even a trailer but no one ever offers me the same sadly. I do get the reticence on lending but there are people with good morals and hopefully I can spot those.

Michen

Visit site
I even came off worst (or rather my car did) when I answered an SOS from a friend whose car had broken down while towing. Would I come and pick her, her trailer and the horse up - yes, of course.

Her trailer was old and had not been serviced in a long while. The brakes snatched and banged noisily against my tow ball all the away home - friend shrugged and said it must be my car, it didn’t do it with hers. Then once back, I reversed the trailer as asked to park it up, but was apparently a foot off the right spot so she asked me to pull forward and back it up again into her preferred spot. I then scratched my new-to-us car on an overhanging hedge as I did so (it was on her own drive, so no neighbours or liveries to worry about). Grrr.

So someone who doesn't bother servicing their trailer would just automatically fall in the category of someone I wouldn't lend to, because they clearly have little respect for safety.

As for the hedge, could have just refused and said no thanks- can see a hedge there and don't want to scratch car.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I just cannot imagine that any of my very close friends would not repair/replace anything they or their horse broke. In fact- I'd guarantee it. They are like minded people.
yeah I feel the same. The OP hasn't been back to clarify so of course the thread has got a life of its own now, but I would consider my proper friends to be people I would feel totally comfortable lending lots of things to if they needed it because they are careful with stuff like I am and honest enough to sort it out if there was an accident. Cheeky other liveries, not so much, but they wouldn't be in the "friend" category ;)

Michen

Visit site
yeah I feel the same. The OP hasn't been back to clarify so of course the thread has got a life of its own now, but I would consider my proper friends to be people I would feel totally comfortable lending lots of things to if they needed it because they are careful with stuff like I am and honest enough to sort it out if there was an accident. Cheeky other liveries, not so much, but they wouldn't be in the "friend" category ;)

Exactly. I suppose it's the same people I'd trust my animals too aka look after my dog, ride the horse, whatever. Obviously the animals are more precious than anything material.

I wonder if the people who blanket won't lend their trailer/lorry/saddle to a good mate would, however, lend their horse for a ride. Interesting what we all do/don't find acceptable.

Michen

Visit site
Yes, I’m annoyed about the hedge, there’s a reason I parked it where I did the first time. Was trying to be helpful, though I’ve no idea why parking spot no 1 was wrong. No apology or whoops from friend at all.

I’m a right curmudgeon now - as is clear from the tone of my posts :p.

Did the friend even know it had been scratched?

scruffyponies

Visit site
One of the reasons that I prefer not to have brand new shiny things is to avoid having to be too precious about how and by whom it is used. Another is that I figure if something survived the previous owner, there's a better chance it might survive me!

Everyone has their own approach, but I'm firmly in the 'it's only stuff' camp.

confusedmum

Visit site
I've just bought a lorry and it's definitely a once-in-a-lifetime purchase. I won't be lending it out, firstly because I don't want to pay to have it insured to drive by anyone, secondly, because I am not going to be able to replace this lorry, so I don't want to be adding a load of mileage to it. I can't get the mileage back once it's gone. If there is an emergency, I will absolutely help out, but there are small lorries and trailers available to hire near by so for anything planned or longer distance, people definitely have options. I have loaned out all kinds of stuff, rugs, expensive saddles etc., but I do work on the principle of not lending out anything that you can't afford to replace!
Let’s face it nice people who work hard and look after what they have don’t ask to borrow things as they know how hard it is to get them in the first place !
Emergencies excluded it’s only the people who don’t care who expect you to lend all your stuff out at the drop of a hat and take major offence when you say no
My OH has the same problem he’s a self employed carpenter he scrimps and saves to get all the power tools he needs for work really looks after them and NEVER lends them out so he’s always the asshole on a building site because he won’t “ share “ his tools that earn the money to keep a roof over our head !

Michen

Visit site
Let’s face it nice people who work hard and look after what they have don’t ask to borrow things as they know how hard it is to get them in the first place !
Emergencies excluded it’s only the people who don’t care who expect you to lend all your stuff out at the drop of a hat and take major offence when you say no
My OH has the same problem he’s a self employed carpenter he scrimps and saves to get all the power tools he needs for work really looks after them and NEVER lends them out so he’s always the asshole on a building site because he won’t “ share “ his tools that earn the money to keep a roof over our head !

That's such a stupid thing to say. Nice people who work hard and look after what they have do ask to borrow- I do- but only to those who I would be happy to lend to (aka very close friends).

confusedmum

Visit site
That's such a stupid thing to say. Nice people who work hard and look after what they have do ask to borrow- I do- but only to those who I would be happy to lend to (aka very close friends).
Don’t agree at all if it’s close friend they don’t need to ask I would offer but people who are always asking should be getting their own !!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I once leant my lorry to another livery to take horse about relatively locally to stud.She wasn’t a friend. She didn’t replace fuel / offer to / remove droppings. She was most put out when it wasn’t available for her to collect the horse.

I’ve toughened up since then!

I will generally lend to friends who are also lorry owners.

bouncing_ball

Visit site

I think it depends. I’d be pretty astounded if a friend without transport asked to borrow my lorry.

I have lent it for an emergency Vet visit, and when friend’s have sick lorries. But it’s not there for a joy ride for someone who doesn’t understand the effort and expense and sacrifice that Comes with owning a lorry for many!

I did take two friends (that had helped me out lots) to dressage once. Ironically a car drove into the back of my lorry on way home. Non fault accident, no horses hurt. Lorry was off the road a month or so being fixed! Covered by other person’s insurance. Both my friends were mortified my lorry was off the road after taking them out. I think both offered to contribute towards hiring transport in the short term for me. I didn’t accept and was soon mended.

But the attitudes make huge difference

Michen

Visit site
I think it depends. I’d be pretty astounded if a friend without transport asked to borrow my lorry.

I have lent it for an emergency Vet visit, and when friend’s have sick lorries. But it’s not there for a joy ride for someone who doesn’t understand the effort and expense and sacrifice that Comes with owning a lorry for many!

I did take two friends (that had helped me out lots) to dressage once. Ironically a car drove into the back of my lorry on way home. Non fault accident, no horses hurt. Lorry was off the road a month or so being fixed! Covered by other person’s insurance. Both my friends were mortified my lorry was off the road after taking them out. I think both offered to contribute towards hiring transport in the short term for me. I didn’t accept and was soon mended.

But the attitudes make huge difference

Just because someone doesn't have a lorry or trailer doesn't mean they don't understand the effort, expense and sacrifice? maybe they just aren't, and would never be, in a position to own one? Or maybe they used to be and aren't now?

It's unfair to assume that someone who owns a lorry would be more careful than someone who doesn't.

I would absolutely not be astounded if one of my close friends didn't have transport and asked, because I would know if they had one they'd lend it to me if I needed it.