Mind blown!!!!!!!!

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
Just to put a bit of background into this story the only person who considered Prince 'dangerous' was Keira's first YO who was by no means a professional. He is an older chap who has a couple of 'unchallenging' cob types and decided to be a 'hero' to Keira and basically show off a bit. So he took a horse that had been through a pretty traumatic time and had a serious number of health issues (that Keira was carefully addressing) and had an anxious first time owner on a yard that had a terrific number of spooky challenges and decided to whack him with a whip when he showed some reluctance to go forward. Well he bit off a bit more than he could chew and promptly regretted his decision so put Keira back on after the big rear. Not so much of a hero after all.
When I assessed Prince I found him a calm, compliant, sensible horse who lacked a bit of confidence (unsuprising after his recent history and Keira's anxiety about the whole situation she found her self in). He seemed to me to be a horse that had been well produced, trained and managed (possibly a hunt horse given his type etc) but had worked hard for his living and showed some signs of wear and tear but generally seemed pretty sound and level in his work for a horse of his age, type and (unknown) history before he fell on hard times and got shunted into the dodgy dealer go-round/auction system in Ireland. While I don't condone the ex-jockey's wriggling up from the ground thing and the standing on the back thing ( although it was far away from the possible intersecting spinal flanges) I can kind of see that the point was to engender some confidence in Keira that her horse wasn't a dangerous killer. If all Keira wants to do is bimble about for a lovely, unchallenging hack on the New Forest then I think that should be well within Prince's comfort zone and will probably keep him physically and mentally stimulated for his long term benefit
Keira I hope you don't mind me posting this very honest assesment of my personal opinion.

Keira 8888

Visit site
Just to put a bit of background into this story the only person who considered Prince 'dangerous' was Keira's first YO who was by no means a professional. He is an older chap who has a couple of 'unchallenging' cob types and decided to be a 'hero' to Keira and basically show off a bit. So he took a horse that had been through a pretty traumatic time and had a serious number of health issues (that Keira was carefully addressing) and had an anxious first time owner on a yard that had a terrific number of spooky challenges and decided to whack him with a whip when he showed some reluctance to go forward. Well he bit off a bit more than he could chew and promptly regretted his decision so put Keira back on after the big rear. Not so much of a hero after all.
When I assessed Prince I found him a calm, compliant, sensible horse who lacked a bit of confidence (unsuprising after his recent history and Keira's anxiety about the whole situation she found her self in). He seemed to me to be a horse that had been well produced, trained and managed (possibly a hunt horse given his type etc) but had worked hard for his living and showed some signs of wear and tear but generally seemed pretty sound and level in his work for a horse of his age, type and (unknown) history before he fell on hard times and got shunted into the dodgy dealer go-round/auction system in Ireland. While I don't condone the ex-jockey's wriggling up from the ground thing and the standing on the back thing ( although it was far away from the possible intersecting spinal flanges) I can kind of see that the point was to engender some confidence in Keira that her horse wasn't a dangerous killer. If all Keira wants to do is bimble about for a lovely, unchallenging hack on the New Forest then I think that should be well within Prince's comfort zone and will probably keep him physically and mentally stimulated for his long term benefit
Keira I hope you don't mind me posting this very honest assesment of my personal opinion.
Angie, your post has actually made me cry (in a good way) You have been there from almost the beginning and I wouldn’t be where I am now with Prince if it wasn’t for you. You picked me up every time I needed it and I will never forget it. By god I’ve made mistakes along the way but every tough journey is usually the most potent learning experience!

Some people on this forum have very kindly said that they think I have been patient with certain comments and opinions (on my entire journey with Prince)

I just want to take this opportunity to say, I am acutely aware of which posters are constructively giving their opinion (may it agree or oppose) and which posters are clearly enjoying an opportunity to ignite matters for an unproductive reason!

It’s not an easy journey for any of us horse owners, especially novice ones like myself. I just feel incredibly privileged to have Angie (alwaysmoretoknow) by my side as I try to make sense if this confusing equine world and community.

Thank you xx

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thank you ? Do you have any personal experience with this? I’m trying to Google it but not coming up with too much. Stupid question, but is the coffin bone the same as the pedal bone? His pedal bone is parallel to the ground rather than on an angle. I asked the vet if this would cause him pain and they said not. Can I trust this? Xx

Coffin = pedal and flat is much better than negative and nearly flat can be normal. It will be stretching his suspensory ligaments and deep digital flexor tendon, but if that happened gradually over time then your vet is likely to be right about lack of pain. It will also stress the joints in the foot and pastern because the angles of all of those will be wrong.

The question is why it happened (the back? something else?). The most likely guess is that his back caused him to "stand under" instead of on top of his feet and that in turn caused collapsed heels. But it could be the other way around and shoes could have collapsed his heels and that caused a bad stance and back pain.

The good news is that it should be fixable, but be careful of doing much except slow work on straight lines until you are seeing more strength in his heels, or the whole pain cycle could start again. I think that probably fits with what you feel comfortable with anyway?

Take a look at the back of his foot Keira. Is there a V in the hair line? When that goes straight, your coffin bone angle will probably be fixed.

Last edited:

eahotson

Visit site
hearing all that makes me happy for Prince,,that he had landed in a nice home and I have my fingers crossed for their continued success.