Mind blown!!!!!!!!

GrassChop

Visit site
Some posts are rather near to the knuckle, but mostly folk are just genuinely worried that a well meaning but inexperienced owner is going to end up very seriously injured after being led up the garden path by a numbskull who stands on horses' backs.

I agree with this. I don't think it's bullying, it's no different to other threads on here similar to this otherwise there are tonnes that would be considered bullying.

Last edited:

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Some posts are rather near to the knuckle, but mostly folk are just genuinely worried that a well meaning but inexperienced owner is going to end up very seriously injured after being led up the garden path by a numbskull who stands on horses' backs.

KS horses can be rehabbed, sometimes successfully, but the correct slow, steady and frankly often boring work before anyone gets back on the horse is vital.

It only takes a moment for someone to suffer life changing injuries. None of us want to see that happen to Kiera.

But hey, she's an adult, the advice given on here is for her to take it or leave it.

This 100%

Visit site
Is this the first time this horse has been ridden after a break? Apologies for my ignorance but I haven’t followed his story. If he has got KS, he may be well behaved now but an explosion in the near future is inevitable as he becomes sore again. Get the Vet out.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I really think that is time to give Keira a bit of piece and quiet, to stop being so judgemental, and let her sort it out for herself.

I have no doubt that what she wants is for Prince to be comfortable and pain-free, and she would like to be able to ride him if that's possible.

You can have misgivings about the methods used by the bloke she got in to work with Prince, but I really don't think that Keira is being callous or cruel.

Keira 8888

Visit site
I really think that is time to give Keira a bit of piece and quiet, to stop being so judgemental, and let her sort it out for herself.

I have no doubt that what she wants is for Prince to be comfortable and pain-free, and she would like to be able to ride him if that's possible.

You can have misgivings about the methods used by the bloke she got in to work with Prince, but I really don't think that Keira is being callous or cruel.
Thank you Keith ?

Keira 8888

Visit site
Hi all!

Quick update.

Things going really well! Prince going so well, we have been hacking out and adventuring together without any hitch. I had his chiropractor out today and he was happy with everything BUT! Thinks I should now get him shod since I am riding again.

Im confused by this as Prince is 6 months approx into his barefoot journey and the positives are massive! He was 100% sound in his trot up. He has grown so much hoof and it’s good quality! No more chipping and all we do is walk and trot - I really don’t want to get him shod. He has negative palmer angles and I don’t want shoes to offer a short term solution that will eventually crush his heels.

Sometimes my head spins by how many professionals I involve in Prince and none of them agree! But I’m feeling a bit more empowered now having owned him for 1.5 years and learned so much. I am neither pro shoe or pro barefoot - how can you be one or the other without considering the individual horse??!

So I am going to keep Prince in his hoof boots and continue on my current path as I am not going to change things if he is currently sound.

I can now tack him up fully with no complaints and he practically opens his mouth for the bit.

I can only put this down to consistency rather than anything else. He has responded so well to work every day (which is what many people told me he needed )

I can’t quite believe we are finally making progress! With every ride he naps less and his ears are like radars - flicking back to listen to me all the time.

Im so happy ??

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Great news!

With mine, I keep them barefoot while they are comfortable. If they show signs of not being comfortable, I shoe (as long as the discomfort is from additional work - if it were unexplained I would get a vet exam!). If I reduce work again, I take the shoes off again.

Currently I have one shod and one only in fronts. Before we upped the hacking, I had one barefoot and one in fronts only.

The good behaviour with Prince is all the better as this is traditionally a skittish time of year, with an autumn flush of grass coinciding with more hours in the stable and cold weather.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I feel as though many equine professionals jump to the shoe conclusion. If they see something wrong/lameness/or whatever it may be, they suggest shoes. A proper barefoot rehab can take time. Mine took 9 months to grow out horrendous quarter cracks, but he was sound and comfortable (moreso than when he was shod). Obviously people saw a crack and said, he needs shoes! But that was not the case.

It's the same with fixing angles, it doesn't happen overnight, and perhaps it shouldn't. A dramatic change vs a slow and steady change may not be the best thing in all cases.

If his hooves are going in a good direction, his body feels good, and he's happy in the level of work he's in, I see no reason for shoes, personally. The suggestion sort of perplexes me when he's sound and growing good hoof (even better quality than when he was shod). Many think a ridden horse needs shoes, and that's simply not the case all of the time. It sounds like you're on a good way with him. Pleased to hear it.

Trouper

Visit site
Great update - and thank you for your patience will all our comments!!!

After many ups and downs with my two, someone (whose judgement I respected) said to me one day "you know your horse best" and I realised I did. Sub-consciously my brain had been processing all the advice but I was able to apply it to the horse in front of me and come up with the best solution. I agree with continuing with boots - a quick fix with shoes could throw him out somewhere else and that is the last thing you want now.

Happy Hacking!!

tristar

Visit site
Hi all!

Quick update.

Things going really well! Prince going so well, we have been hacking out and adventuring together without any hitch. I had his chiropractor out today and he was happy with everything BUT! Thinks I should now get him shod since I am riding again.

Im confused by this as Prince is 6 months approx into his barefoot journey and the positives are massive! He was 100% sound in his trot up. He has grown so much hoof and it’s good quality! No more chipping and all we do is walk and trot - I really don’t want to get him shod. He has negative palmer angles and I don’t want shoes to offer a short term solution that will eventually crush his heels.

Sometimes my head spins by how many professionals I involve in Prince and none of them agree! But I’m feeling a bit more empowered now having owned him for 1.5 years and learned so much. I am neither pro shoe or pro barefoot - how can you be one or the other without considering the individual horse??!

So I am going to keep Prince in his hoof boots and continue on my current path as I am not going to change things if he is currently sound.

I can now tack him up fully with no complaints and he practically opens his mouth for the bit.

I can only put this down to consistency rather than anything else. He has responded so well to work every day (which is what many people told me he needed )

I can’t quite believe we are finally making progress! With every ride he naps less and his ears are like radars - flicking back to listen to me all the time.

Im so happy ??

so pleased for you, please don`t shoe him, it took mine 18 months to fully adapt and to learn what is best and be sure i know what i am doing.

if he is improving so much dont change anything, until your gut tells you the way forwards

what i have learned with horses is that simplicity is the ultimate destination, get it right , keep it simple and natural

those who say to work him are right, and lots of walk and trot hacking is the best way forwards, its so good for them

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Lovely update Keira and very happy to be proved wrong on my initial judgement of the situation ?
As for the shoe situation, stick to what you feel is right. I'm like you neither for nor against shoes.....if they need them they get them. Both of mine aren't shod and are fine but if they should need them in the future I wouldn't hesitate :)

eahotson

Visit site
Hi all!

Quick update.

Im so happy ??
Go with your own but instincts .If he is happy without shoes leave him that way.

Birker2020

Visit site
A friend had a pony who would plant with her but not with a pro rider so for a long time thought pony was taking the p with her. Turns out she had grade 4 ulcers. The pro rider was just more effective at riding the pony through it…
Yes I agree with this, I have first hand experience of this in the past. A pro rider can hide a multitude of sins.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think huge caution is needed with a horse with negative coffin bone angles. It's my experience that these are often found in a vicious circle with back pain/hock/psd issues. Back pain/hock pain/psd/SI issues lead to low heels, low heels lead to back pain/psd/hock/SI issues. It's sometimes difficult to work out which came first but once you've got them and a horse with evidence of current or previous pain it can be a devil to resolve.

My advice would be a very slow and cautious barefoot rehab with no strenuous work until the heels have rebuilt and corrected the negative coffin bone angle. That takes miles in largely straight lines in walk.

I'm pleased for you it's started well Keira, and hope that carries on for you both.

Keira 8888

Visit site
I think huge caution is needed with a horse with negative coffin bone angles. It's my experience that these are often found in a vicious circle with back pain/hock/psd issues. Back pain/hock pain/psd/SI issues lead to low heels, low heels lead to back pain/psd/hock/SI issues. It's sometimes difficult to work out which came first but once you've got them and a horse with evidence of current or previous pain it can be a devil to resolve.

My advice would be a very slow and cautious barefoot rehab with no strenuous work until the heels have rebuilt and corrected the negative coffin bone angle. That takes miles in largely straight lines in walk.

I'm pleased for you it's started well Keira, and hope that carries on for you both.

Thank you ? Do you have any personal experience with this? I’m trying to Google it but not coming up with too much. Stupid question, but is the coffin bone the same as the pedal bone? His pedal bone is parallel to the ground rather than on an angle. I asked the vet if this would cause him pain and they said not. Can I trust this? Xx