Most stupid horsey thing you've ever said, asked, done etc.!!!

Mule

Visit site
OMG that just reminded me of a corker!! Thankfully the ‘incident’ happened to my friend not me!

Doing stud work and a dummy collection. I was on the stallion, she was on the AV. Stallion slid off dummy at the ‘climax’ slipped out of AV and sprayed across friends face/into mouth 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮
😱🤢🤮😓

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I once drove to a show leaving the pony at home, not noticing until I got there.

At a show I went up to a prize giving at the end leaving colt tied to the trailer, then looked and he was gone. Panicking, I started looking round the showground for him only to find he had loaded himself into the trailer and was waiting to go home.

I was out long reining a youngster, we were doing quite a lot of miles before I backed her. At furthest point of route I got a massive blister and was really lame. Climbed on pony and rode her home, fortunately without any trouble.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Working a football match with a Police horse, 12 horses on 2 boxes all had to turn out at the same time, so they were dressed in the lorry, dragged out and hopped on, straight out into the crowd.

Mine was a baby horse, nevertheless I was a bit surprised at his knee high frog marching as he was usually quite settled - even in a busy crowd atmosphere. Then I looked down and saw that in my haste to dress, off box, mount and away (it was a busy day) I had ommitted to remove the fluffy travel boots that covered right over the knees and hocks :eek:.

The shame of having to return to the box!

In my defence I was also wearing full armour and a big riot helmet so was hampered.

Last edited:

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Back in the day when kids were kids and parents didn't give a damn, my then, 11 year old friend was playing jump the brook on her pony. This was after heavy rainfall and the brook had become a fast flowing river and the banks were muddy and slippery. Pony and child fell into the water and couldn't get out. She hung on to the bridle for 1/4 mile down stream, until she was able to haul the pony out. Exhausted and covered in mud, the pair got home, dripped across the garden to the kitchen door only to be greeted by an annoyed mother who told her not to bring mud into the house.

I've done the reins crossed under the neck thing too. Thought my horse was being perverse by flexing in the opposite direction. We were about to climb the Black Mountains and go ditch jumping. Thankfully, realised before the day got too exciting.

Mule

Visit site
Back in the day when kids were kids and parents didn't give a damn, my then, 11 year old friend was playing jump the brook on her pony. This was after heavy rainfall and the brook had become a fast flowing river and the banks were muddy and slippery. Pony and child fell into the water and couldn't get out. She hung on to the bridle for 1/4 mile down stream, until she was able to haul the pony out. Exhausted and covered in mud, the pair got home, dripped across the garden to the kitchen door only to be greeted by an annoyed mother who told her not to bring mud into the house.

I've done the reins crossed under the neck thing too. Thought my horse was being perverse by flexing in the opposite direction. We were about to climb the Black Mountains and go ditch jumping. Thankfully, realised before the day got too exciting.
😂

windand rain

Visit site
From a riding point of view the stupidest thing I did was take my lunatic eventer for a walk along the beach, got fed up of walking so decided to ride him home no hat, tack or way of getting on so parked him between two large rocks to get on he shot forward I landed between his feet and got trampled in his panic fractured scull and broken ribs later I waddled back home with blood pouring from my head along a busy beach no one even said how are you. several stopped to ask how my dad was as blood dripped down my t-shirt

HeyMich

Visit site
I went into an absolute blind panic when my mare was quite new, as she couldn't weight bare at all on her front leg. I had pictures of shattered bones in my mind, so ran and got the YO's hubby to help me keep her still and clam while I phoned the vet. He said quietly 'have you checked her hooves?' to which I replied.... 'errmm... no', and then he proceeded to remove a huge stone from her foot. Lo and behold, the shattered bone and imminent death sentence disappeared pretty quickly. Woops!

AandK

Visit site
My usual one is forgetting to undo leg straps when removing a rug, or the odd forgetting to do up surcingles but not noticing until following morning. Another classic was when on work experience at a large riding school/comp centre, looking after the horses on the comp yard. Putting a rug on horse owned by the lady who set the yard up, threw it on a bit too enthusiasticly and the rug got attached to the hanging light in the stable. Fortunately horse didn't panic too much, was a lot more careful from them on!

Teajack

Visit site
Went to lead anxious and bargy Welshish cob I'd recently bought out of stable. Someone else had brought her in and for some reason tied her to a ring just by the opening side of the door. Brains here didn't untie her before opening said door, pony charged out and tried to go round the side. My neck was in the way of the rope and if I hadn't been able to catch the end of the safety knot that would probably have been the last stupid thing I did.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Did once have a conversation about a mare that unbeknown to me was pregnant. ‘She’s in uetro’ I was told. ‘Is that in Cornwall?’ I responded 😲😆😱

some of these are so funny in particular your one amymay I still cant stop giggling to myself. :D

Have to confess to doing several of them and more but perhaps the stupidest thing I ever did was proudly show my very large horse into his super new stable that my husband and I had built ourselves from scratch, along with another one next to him and a tack room. Left him over night with a huge haynet tied to a corner of the stable. I could not understand why he had barely touched it the next morning and was a bit sweaty and very apprehensive of that corner.

After much investigation of his health, contents of haynet and eventually the big steel girders that formed the corners of the building. Oh my the one in the corner where his haynet hung was live! I had stupidly left the electric fence in the paddock behind the new building dangling in the wind and the handle had blown and caught on the steel girder. He never did really like that stable after that unfortunately :oops:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My first share, first ever solo tacking up as a complete novice, I put the saddle on backwards! Didn’t do up the girth because I realised it was wrong.

Once asked a friend if horses could be autistic. Mine was just standing at the fence mooning at me. I think he basically wanted to be back in his box eating nice hay rather than a starvation field.

Forgot to do the girth up on my 17hh2 warmblood, got as far as swinging my leg over and was suddenly under his belly. Thank god he was a good boy! He just stood looking at me in surprise.

Returning from a hack, I offered to get the gate (not one that can be done from on board). As I got off, I got caught on something so I was hanging from his side like some kind of idiot for ages before I could untangle myself. The worst bit was a mate’s horse having a minor panic at the sight of me! Mine just stood like a rock, probably rolling his eyes at my total stupidity.

I’ll probably think of more later.🤪

sportsmansB

Visit site
I got a phone call at 6.45am last year from a very good professional friend of mine
Asking what time I was planning on being at the event (I was scoring)
When I said about 9.00, he asked whether I could make it any earlier, and make a detour past their yard (NOT on the way, but not too far)
When I asked what they had forgotten, he said 'the mare in the last stable, you'll need your truck'
Oh and she was due to do dressage at 8.45. Cue massive rush and plenty of swearing from me... we made it at 8.20...

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I recently couldn’t understand why one of mine wouldn’t walk out of her stable... only to glance down and realise I hadn’t undone the chain across her door.
Horse was looking at me with an ‘oh dear’ expression.

I’ve done that so many times poor horse thinks I’m stupid!

Absent mindedly putting overreach boots on the hind legs was a classic

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Once arrived at a show to find I had left my girth at home!

Most stupid thing I have done was to dismount from a horse without thinking about the pony I was leading. The pony's lead rope caught me under my heels and I landed head first on the back of my head. Felt my brain bounce around in my skull and felt extremely poorly for quite a while.

Lexi_

Visit site
The boys have got fancy fly rugs which you have to put on over their heads and pull them down the neck. I am notorious for never being able to do this right first time. Think my record was 5 wrong times in a row. I kept looking at it, working out what way was the right way round and then just doing it wrong. Thankfully Monty is very patient...

In my helper days at the riding school, I once fired not one but two small children right over the side of the pony when giving leg ups during Christmas games. Think the competitive spirit overtook me.

ponies4ever

Visit site
when I was younger I once dismounted and managed to get my breeches caught on the stirrup which completely ripped the fabric next to the fly so there was a large hole. had no change of clothes and then had to go out in public to a swim class whilst desperately trying to cover up the hole with a large jumper.

Red3005

Visit site
Jumping a showjump across the diagonal in an arena, total brain malfunction on my part and total 'I can't make any decision for myself' from my horse meant we didn't stop or make the turn.. he cantered rather casually into the arena fence and headbutted it.
**No horses were harmed in this event.. he's just a bit stupid

conkers

Visit site
Got a black eye when my youngster picked her back leg up rather enthusiastically when I was picking her feet out.

The next day I was taking part in a photo shoot for a picture that was going to be seen by everyone employed by the large company that I work for. I stood sideways on to the camera so you couldn't see the shiner I had.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
About 25 years ago - tied my saint of a TB too securely to a gate - he panicked and backed up lifting up & taking the gate with him 😱

Luckily there was a mound of silage behind him which held him up while I removed the gate with OH help.

Still beat myself up about it 😕

Cowpony

Visit site
Ha ha - l've tried to ride off with horse still tied to the wall. Also with the reins crossed under horses neck.

My instructor makes us ride with crossed reins in the school occasionally, to make us less dependent on our hands. It's surprisingly difficult!

Cowpony

Visit site
I've put overreach boots on the hind feet of a horse. Got off without noticing the high cantle of a saddle, which caught my leg and I reached the ground flat on my back. Put a martingale on and forgot to attach the important parts to the reins. Put a martingale on and forgot to attach the loop to the girth. Taken a saddle off and forgot to take the girth out of the martingale loop. Tried to take numerous rugs off without undoing the leg straps. Don't think I should be allowed to be around horses!

Tarragon

Visit site
I once tacked up my pony to save time, and then boxed him over to another yard for a lesson.
When I went to get him off the trailer I found him standing there, quite calmly, with the saddle under his belly!

Chuffy99

Visit site
I drove my lorry out of the drive down the road turned sharp right down a narrow road and was just about to turn onto the main road when I realised the milkman was madly flashing and hooting me, yep I hadn’t put the ramp up and Basil was standing watching the world go by, literally.
Wouldn’t have been so bad but I’d done it the week before driving out of Lincs showground, excuse that time was we’d just qualified for HOYS and were so excited, couldn’t understand why the men dismantling the stables were shouting and waving at us, how did they know we’d qualified!!