Most stupid horsey thing you've ever said, asked, done etc.!!!

GreyMane

Visit site
While at middle school, a friend and I used to go and look at a Shetland who was kept in a paddock bordering the school playing field. Other side of the paddock was the owner's garden. One day we climbed through the fence, and walked through their paddock and garden, up to the back door to ask if they wanted any help looking after the pony! (they didn't).
Later on, in response to our feeding the pony grass over the fence, it was inspired to limbo under the wire, and scampered off across the school playing field kicking up its little heels.
It had to be rounded up with the help of the sports teacher, who had a horse but who was really irritable and scared me a lot.

When our class had our first ever sex education talk, which was primarily about periods, she was the one who took that lesson. When she asked if there were any questions, I nervously asked "Can you go riding during your period?"
She barked back, "I've got a horse and I go riding every day. What do YOU think?"

Caol Ila

Visit site
Whacking myself in the face with stirrups while putting the saddle on its (quite high) saddle rack is a regular ocurrence. Gave myself a black eye once.

My horse is on individual turnout, and I went through a phase where I'd leave her gate open while trekking across the field to get her. Horse is in her mid-20s, so she's not going to leg it, right? There was the time she jumped into a canter as I approached, and charged past me, with me walking briskly and calmly-ish after her saying, "Whoa, whoa, easy, waaaalk," but achieving nothing. Horse cantered straight for the wide, open gate. However, right before the gate, she cantered a perfect 10m half circle, back around to where I was floundering through the mud, still pleading, "Whoa," and came to a halt in front of me. I swear she said to the horses in the neighbouring field, "Want to see me wind up the human?"

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
New years eve 2 years ago I put lead rope around horses neck to bring in rather than putting head collar on (only 10 steps from field to stable) As horse walked into the stable I let go of one end of the rope to release horse. Unfortunately I let go of the clip end of the lead rope which then somehow manage to swing up and over and clunk me right on the forehead. About 2 seconds later I had a golf ball lump on my head whilst hubby freaking out how quick it came up and me carrying on doing jobs as horses needed feeding on time and refusing to go to get checked out as NYE would have been horrendously busy. Still have a slight lump 🙈

That's my favourite trick - I've hit myself with the clip end on a leadrope more times than I can count.

I don't think I've ever got as far as getting on with crossed over reins and I fairly habitually ride around with a loose girth - if I have to get off out hacking I have to do the girth up 2 holes to be able to get back on from the ground

jainque

Visit site
Years ago, i was working in a big riding center for a hard boss ( military style) how shouted all the time and everyone was scared of him, myself included.
Once during a SJ lesson, i had to get off to rush to the toilet, to my embarassement, everyone stopped
and had to wait for me.

Highly stressed, i rushed in and out of the toilet, and runned to get back on my horse, only to have the boss shout

What is that white thing coming out of your trousers ?

In my rush, i left about 1 mêtre of toilet paper trailing out behind me.....

It was one of the most embarrasing thing ever happening to me.....

hollyandivy123

Visit site
I drove my lorry out of the drive down the road turned sharp right down a narrow road and was just about to turn onto the main road when I realised the milkman was madly flashing and hooting me, yep I hadn’t put the ramp up and Basil was standing watching the world go by, literally.
Wouldn’t have been so bad but I’d done it the week before driving out of Lincs showground, excuse that time was we’d just qualified for HOYS and were so excited, couldn’t understand why the men dismantling the stables were shouting and waving at us, how did they know we’d qualified!!

i once chased in my car a lorry down a road and onto a dual carriage way trying to get the attention, they had left the steps on the side down and where coming close to knee capping everyone...........

Merrymoles

Visit site
So many of these are mine! Black eyes from doing girths up, crossed reins, nearly forgetting to turn horse back out after an evening ride... I have gone straight over, getting on a very narrow racehorse who was narrower than my usual rides. I have been hung up on something when wearing a long wax with led straps and getting off to open a date, resulting in me doing the splits and being stuck to the horse who, fortunately, was good for once in his life and stood while I worked out how to get free!

My two favourites though both resulted in me doing a complete somersault and landing on my feet, which is usually for someone who usually face plants. The first was when an ultra-reliable jumper put in a dirty stop at a log he'd jumped a thousand times when hacking out and the second was at a nasty narrow hunting gate that had a very strong spring and was a pain to keep open, which led to all the horses who used that route rushing through it. I caught my stirrup on the latch and, while it detached from the saddle it pulled me back so rapidly that I did a somersault and landed feet down on the other side. I got a round of applause from a group of ramblers for that one - shame they hadn't offered to open the gate for us!

huskydamage

Visit site
I bought a new bridle where the bit clips on in two places, higher and lower clip. I cleaned it and put it back on the lower one by mistake. I did a whole endurance ride with it like that and only noticed when i saw the photos after and my horse looking a bit confused chewing this really low flappy bit 😂

LadySam

Visit site
Mounting up for a lesson. Me (the experienced one) and a new student. Unbeknownst to me, instructor told new student to watch me to see how it was done. I absentmindedly placed my right foot in the stirrup and swung myself up, only to find myself facing backwards over the horse’s bum. “Jesus. Don’t look.” was all the instructor could manage to say.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
More......

Arrived at yard early one morning, 6 happy beasties, one very grumpy one - in the end stable.
Turned out I'd forgotten to tie in his net before I left. he was a piggy, so always had his net tied in as i left..... guilt tripped for ages on that one!

Done the stirrup on a gate out hunting (ouch!), hooked a rein on a hunt gate and managed to live... just!

As a young teenager (12 or 13?) I turned out mothers driving pony pair (against orders) as I thought they might like a bit more grass so popped them into a well grown paddock thinking I could leave them for a short while. Got the shock of my life when our resident stallion at the time came thundering round the corner in said paddock! Cue much panicking from me, shouting from the boy and the mare and gelding legged it! Mother steams up with whip etc, she manages to grab the stallion & get him out, driving pair took ages to bring in later.... I never lived that one down, didn't ever do similar after. In fact I never turn out in any paddock that's been unused for even a short while without checking fencing etc....

Pulled into garage to refuel box, the helpers popped out on a sweet buying spree, all back in when done (head count done!) and I pulled away, straight onto concrete post at side, hadn't checked the side steps... ouch!

Not me, but when I was driving. Took 4 up to the Stallion show in Glasgow in late march, riders and fuzzies all on board, great show did well. Coming home I'm aware of rather worried voices in the back. 1 rider had decided to shower as we went down the motorway...... cue foamy water all over the living floor, child freezing as heater was off! The others had to grab towels & mop up child and floor as I wasn't stopping......

Heading over the Brendon Hills on the way to a breed show, apparently 2 riders have gone in the Luton despite being told not to as the round was hilly.... on the crawl up from the x roads, exit 2 sleepy riders, bedding, clothes etc all bouncing onto the living floor after I'd had to go into crawl gear for the 1 in 6 climb.... I laughed! Thank goodness they bounced!

Last edited:

Fransurrey

Visit site
Remembered more.

Done the mounting one side and flying off the other.
Also done the chaps thing. Now I wear long boots.
Two years ago I cam off at stand still. I have no idea how!!
Also two years ago, I cleaned out the trough shared with a neighbour and divided in two by mains electric. Leaned over from her side to get a missed bit on my side and got electrocuted through the belly. It threw me forwards, so I was on the trough and fence. Had to really fight the current to get free!!

Friend uses rugs with leg straps and am always forgetting them. Thankfully her horse is sensible for numptys...

HEM

Visit site
I was once on a hack, on my own with the cheekiest pony. Pony went down to eat grass, I pulled back, pony pulled back harder and I ended up on his neck!

To make it worse he then decided to lift his head and carry on with our hack. I dread to think what would of happened if someone was around to see me 'riding' this pony whilst I thought about my best exit route!:oops:

albeg

Visit site
All the electric fence ones have reminded me...

Set up a corral at a TREC event. Pony jumps 3ft posts for fun, so has the 5ft posts with 3 lines of tape, hooked up t9 fencer. Turned on fence, which at home was always switched to the higer power setting, because of the size of the field. Went away, came back a short while later with feed, popped bucket in and sat down while he ate. After he finished, decided to lean over the fence to give him a scratch. Not sure if he touched the fence/I touched the fenced, or if it was an arc, but somehow I got shocked at high power under my arm/somewhere along my ribcage, and both pony and I rocketed away from the fence. To this day (6 years later), if I lean across electric tape, even if it's off (and he does know, he puts his head under if it's off but won't go near it on), I get the "Don't do that" snort and stare.

HEM

Visit site
I have an electric fence one I have just remembered too!

A once young and naive HEM believed that she could move an line of electric tape to enter the yards back field directly from the pub with a chip... It didn't work :( the chip did not insulate me from the shock :rolleyes:

J&S

Visit site
I have done the crossed over reins, the too loose girth (ducked under low branches towards the end of a ride, girth had become looser and I had not checked it) and goodness how many other silly things in 60 odd years of riding. One incident that stands out is at a local show I was taking NF into an in hand class. Head collar put round neck and in hand bridle in my hand, but of course no reins to put over pony's neck. at the perfectly wrong moment she dives backwards out of the head collar and leaves me standing bridle in hand as she canters off through a gateway that leads to a newly designed, carefully mowed golf course! Her trailer mate who is tacked up fully, double bridle the lot, decides he has to follow her so there they are one naked, one fully dressed standing on top of a hillock proudly surveying their surroundings Oh heck! I got a friend to grab a bucket of nuts and told her to stand at the bottom of the hillock and shake it to catch their attention (hopefully!) . Luckily it worked and I was able to retrieve both ponies and even got a Best Conditioned first prize to boot. During the show it was announced over the loud speaker... "Please do not ride your horses on the golf course"..... I didn't have to feel guilty as we weren't riding, were we?!

Dollbird

Visit site
So many mistakes over so many years. I promise, I am trying to do better. Tacked up, led to mountain block and realised bit was dangling at a jaunty angle behind boys chin. ??. Had transporter advise me I had put hind leg travelling boots on back to front. Hocks exposed. Only been doing it properly since year dot. I have come to the conclusion I have an inner numpty self, desperate to get out...oh just remembered another one.. Show sheen on gloves, tighten girth, punch self in nose. Do that one frequentley. Now starting to worry lol

Last edited:

thommackintosh

Visit site
I gave Domino a bath one lunchtime (with bright purple shampoo), chucked his fleece on and sped home for a video conference call. Less than a minute into the call a teammate sent me a message saying, "you should probably switch your camera off for a sec, and wipe your face, it's violet!" Mortifying haha

ShadowHunter

Visit site
I once tried to take a horses bridle off with the headcoller still over the stop.. No idea why I thought it would work.

I also regularly lead my horses to and from the stable with a lead rope over their necks. Always have to remind myself not to let go of the clip end, whacked myself in the face too many times!

Reactions: DD

Megan V1

Visit site
Turned all horses out only to discover them all back on the yard half an hour later becuase I forgot to close the gate behind them. Got half an hour into a ride and relised I had no riding hat on so back home again. realising after cleaning my bridle that I hadn't put it back together correctly as trying to put it on a very patient horse whilst pulling it apart again to put it right.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Oh, yeah. Golf courses. At uni, I was out on a hack by myself on the university's trails, and I ran into two riders from a nearby stable. They asked if I wanted to go with them, and they'd show me some other trails. Sure, I said. We rode along some trails, some roads, and found ourselves crossing a golf course with a sign that said, "No horses."

"Is this okay?" I said.

"Yes. It's January. Who's gonna know?" They said. "We do this all the time."

"Okay," I said. And we set off cantering.

It being January in Massachusetts, my horse hadn't cantered across a field with other horses in some time, and she lost her sh ** t with the excitement of it and started doing dolphin bucks. After the sixth or seven buck, I fell off. Horse, having the time of her life, bucked and cantered a few more circles around the golf course, then started grazing, and I caught her and climbed back on board. We scuttled away from the golf course, which now had many hoof-shaped divets from a 1200lbs Shire-X throwing herself into the air.

Caol Ila

Visit site
The stupidest thing someone else ever said to me was an ex-boyfriend, who opened his web browser one day saying, "My pal sent me this really funny clip of a horse. You gotta see it. It's CGI'd to make it look like it's dancing!" He went to said YouTube clip, and it was Blue Hors Matine's winning freestyle at the 2006 WEG.

He didn't really believe me when I said it wasn't CGI and told him you can train a horse to trot in place, trot in slow motion, and especially 'skip.' He was pretty sure the flying change every stride was proof of CGI. "But your horse doesn't do that." I mean, yeah....

Last edited:

ZondaR

Visit site
My horse has a very thick mane and it falls on both sides of his neck so I thought it would be a good idea to pull out the half that fell to the left and then all his mane would all fall to the right. That worked until I got up to ride and was greeted by a long bald line. It was absolutely dreadful. Never do this, people!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The stupidest thing someone else ever said to me was an ex-boyfriend, who opened his web browser one day saying, "My pal sent me this really funny clip of a horse. You gotta see it. It's CGI'd to make it look like it's dancing!" He went to said YouTube clip, and it was Blue Hors Matine's winning freestyle at the 2006 WEG.

He didn't really believe me when I said it wasn't CGI and told him you can train a horse to trot in place, trot in slow motion, and especially 'skip.' He was pretty sure the flying change every stride was proof of CGI. "But your horse doesn't do that." I mean, yeah....

I’ve just watched that. Absolutely astonishing! (Was he expecting your shire to do this?!)

GSD Woman

Visit site
Where do I start? I used to ride at a barn where the owner was too cheap to buy a proper gate to one of the fields. She had a strand of electric fence wire with a handle on it. Since that wasn't enough to keep most of the horses in she twisted strands of wire to dangle down from the one working as a gate. I was sweeping up and backed into the dangling wires.
I was backing a loaded trailer and backed into a drainage ditch.
When I first started riding the pony I was riding stopped and put her head down to graze. I slide right down her neck.
Back in the days when boots didn't have zippers a 4-H student put on her boots and then tried to take off her blue jeans that she had worn over her breeches.

Flamenco

Visit site
I used to ride a pony who could put on an impressive rodeo display (before we sorted out his saddle). One day we were having a lovely canter up the hill whilst admiring the beautiful sunset. The next thing I knew I was on the floor.

After walking back to the yard everyone thought he'd bronked me off and said I should find a safer horse to ride. Actually he was a greedy native pony who stopped to eat grass whilst I was staring into the distance!