my daughter had a very bad accident, broken femurs.. help please

GirlFriday

Visit site
Yeah... it is kind of sad to see noone has taken OP's bait when she mentioned in the second post not knowing how to prove she was real. I mean obvs it would be a bit off to ask for pictures of the fictional kid (after or before accident) but easy enough to point to parental jumping records or something that would already be freely available on-line.

Except I doubt OP would be brave enough to let on who they are actually pretending to be. Possibly their more experienced school friend's mum?

So, have some fun with that one OP :)

rascal

Visit site
This is a strange forum. So judgmental and quick to shout troll one minute and the next offering all the support in the world to a total stranger.

Be kind people, it may well be a true post. Who knows. It doesn't hurt to show a little compassion sometimes.. if you feel this poster is a troll then ignore the thread rather than risk upsetting someone in such a horrific situation.

This. Being kind costs nothing.

shirl62

Visit site
Speaking from experience my son had a car accident and unfortunately died. The 2 + days he was in intensive care I was in a daze with shock and was barely functioning. There would have been no way on this earth that I would have gone on a forum and written a long post , heck I could probably not have typed 2 words together that made any sense.

As people have mentioned before it does seem a bit strange that the parents are limited to visiting. As a retired paediatric nurse parents could visit their child in ICU/ITU whenever they wanted. I know everyone deals with things differently but all I can say is that is it a bit odd.

Shirl

LD&S

Visit site
I also find it odd that the first post was pretty much perfect english but this one is as though it is written by someone completely different, if it is true I'm very sorry but I think the OP is playing with people's emotions.

planete

Visit site
I am not taking sides but 'carrière' does mean career yes, but it is also the word for an outdoor manege in France. Very few people seem to know this so its use would increase the odds in favour of this poster being French for me (I am French but only an amateur linguist albeit with a postgrad. diploma in translation).

Flicker

Visit site
This is a strange forum. So judgmental and quick to shout troll one minute and the next offering all the support in the world to a total stranger.

Be kind people, it may well be a true post. Who knows. It doesn't hurt to show a little compassion sometimes.. if you feel this poster is a troll then ignore the thread rather than risk upsetting someone in such a horrific situation.

This

Zero00000

Visit site
My bestfriend growing up fell a massive height this year (5 storeys)
She was in a very bad way, with numerous injuries (vertebrae, hips, legs, arms, her neck was ok) mum was advised she could only be there at certain times due to the unit she was in (Royal London) she was in an induced coma, and it was a long journey for mum daily, so whilst she was in a coma she often didn't go,
So I can see that, but she could barely string a sentence together let alone type on a forum,
But everyone copes differently.

She has made a full recovery thankfully, and surprisingly she is able to walk,

Just because this is about a young child, I really hope she is on the mend soon,
Accidents happen everyday that we never think will happen, even as simple as getting out of bed, don't beat yourself up mum, stay strong for your daughter.

If typing on this forum is an outlet use it,
I hope you have good news soon.

blitznbobs

Visit site
If it's true I have every sympathy but these days serious injuries like this from a fall are all over the Internet...

However in a more generous note... kids heal really well and if she's still alive and not paralysed at this point she'll do well if she's as 'get up and go' as you describe. Physio is hard work but sounds like she'll do it

Asha

Visit site
If it's true I have every sympathy but these days serious injuries like this from a fall are all over the Internet...

However in a more generous note... kids heal really well and if she's still alive and not paralysed at this point she'll do well if she's as 'get up and go' as you describe. Physio is hard work but sounds like she'll do it

Not always the case about it being on the internet. A good friend of mine died this year in a tragic accident ( horse related) it was never put on the internet apart from a few posts on her FB page. Her family wanted it kept private. Maybe this is the case with this lady. I'm pretty sure if I was in her position, I too wouldn't want it broadcasting

glamourpuss

Visit site
Actually it's not true that all hospitals allow parents to stay with their child all of the time. Each hospital is different & due to the set up of ITU departments & the other patients/treatments happening it can be necessary to limit the time spent at bed side.

Why on earth should she link to her daughters results etc? You've already pointed out that this forum can be accessed by trolls etc...why on earth would a mother want to point people like that in the direction of information about their child.

As for joining a forum at a time like this, shock & grief doesn't come with an instruction book telling you how to behave. I lost a little boy at 20 weeks & in the days/weeks after when I was barely functioning with grief, this place & another forum were my solace.
I should imagine she was just hoping to get some support from like minded people who appreciate that accidents with horses can happen....whereas other people are probably making her feel really bad about letting her daughter ride the horse.

If this is a troll then so be it, I'd rather write 100 supportive posts & 99 of them be to trolls, than miss the 1 genuine post that needed a bit of help.

Flicker

Visit site
Yeah... it is kind of sad to see noone has taken OP's bait when she mentioned in the second post not knowing how to prove she was real. I mean obvs it would be a bit off to ask for pictures of the fictional kid (after or before accident) but easy enough to point to parental jumping records or something that would already be freely available on-line.

Except I doubt OP would be brave enough to let on who they are actually pretending to be. Possibly their more experienced school friend's mum?

So, have some fun with that one OP :)

Why on earth should the OP have to 'prove' herself to you? Or do you ask every poster on this forum to provide verification that they are who they say they are, in case you find their post 'offensive'?

If this is indeed what you dismissively refer to as a 'troll' all this attention is making their day.

However if this is a genuinely frightened mother of a young child who has had a serious accident, you and some of the other posters in here have probably managed to make her unbearable situation even worse. Quite an achievement. Hope you're proud.

When all you needed to do was nothing.

luckyoldme

Visit site
Why on earth should the OP have to 'prove' herself to you? Or do you ask every poster on this forum to provide verification that they are who they say they are, in case you find their post 'offensive'?

If this is indeed what you dismissively refer to as a 'troll' all this attention is making their day.

However if this is a genuinely frightened mother of a young child who has had a serious accident, you and some of the other posters in here have probably managed to make her unbearable situation even worse. Quite an achievement. Hope you're proud.

Perfect!
the world would be a much better place if people just stopped being *****.
Please feel free to make your own appropriate expletive up.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Whether or not the OP is a troll is largely irrelevent. If you think she is, don't bother responding, if she's not some of these posts will have added to the distress. OP, I too had a horse go over backwards on top of me which resulted in a broken femur and various other injuries. I'm a very long way past 10 years old, but 18 months later I am back riding, walking and doing everything as before, so there is a very good prospect of your daughter making a good recovery - I certainly wish her, and you, well. Please don't waste time feeling guilt; horses are dangerous and what happened was an accident, which is not a popular modern way of thinking, but they happen nevertheless. Best wishes to you and your daughter.

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
Hello everyone,
....how to do with the horse that I love the most, that I can't look in the eyes anymore, and that I really can't ride right know, even if it makes sense to forgive him, I can't...

I have a small thing to add here. My father was killed in a riding accident falling from a horse we had had for 16 years. Yes I can and I did forgive that horse. And Yes I do care for and even ride that horse many times. The animal is blameless whatever he did he did with no intent to hurt. It was not his fault and it was not yours. Riding is risky. people get hurt doing what they love. I hope she gets better

Flicker

Visit site
I have a small thing to add here. My father was killed in a riding accident falling from a horse we had had for 16 years. Yes I can and I did forgive that horse. And Yes I do care for and even ride that horse many times. The animal is blameless whatever he did he did with no intent to hurt. It was not his fault and it was not yours. Riding is risky. people get hurt doing what they love. I hope she gets better

I am so sorry to hear about your dad.

I absolutely echo what you say about not holding the animal responsible. They act according to their nature. Most of the time we are extremely fortunate that their nature allows us to do what we do with them, but sometimes their instincts take over.

onemoretime

Visit site
Hello everyone,
Thank you so much for all your messages, you all took the time to answer and it truly means a lot to me. Every day when I wake up I wish this wasn't happening, I wish I was a troll here... But my daughter is not in her room, she is not at the stables, she is not in the house. She really is in the hospital... I'm so sorry to hear that you have problems with people lying on this website, and I can't show you any proof of what I am facing, I don't know how I can do that... I'm a mess right now, I'm just freacking out since the accident, not knowing what to do: surgeons and doctors are really busy, and I can see my little girl 2 to 3 hours a day because the hospital doesn't allow more visits: just family, and not for too long. Next surgery is huge and after this surgery, and only after, we are going to know a little bit more about what the future holds for us and for her and I am so afraid about it: High risks with her vertebrea fractures, really difficult because the only thing that I can do for her is waiting, let the surgeons do their job... You are right, coming here for support maybe wasn't the best idea but I'm so bad with living this situation, that I keep making bad decisions... I can't really answer to you all but I cant say that the horse is OK, and that my husband knew my daughter was riding this horse: It was the only horse that I was trusting, and she was asking if she can ride him for years now, she wasn't juming with him or anything, I really tried to keep her safe. With the fact that she is moving to horses, for jumping and competitions I was going to search a small horse, and she is moving because she is really tall. My foreign language is French. I'm reading and not responding because I don't always have the time and with all the "trolls " comments, I didn't really knew what to respond. I don't understand how people can lie about such a big accident, that's very disrespectful for those that are in need of support and it makes it difficult for you all to know if I am lying or not... Anyway, I really don't know what I should do now, but one more time I apologize for the bad English today.
If someone know something about injuries that my daughter have, or informations that can help us with helping our injured daughter, my wonderful coach that is really shocked with the accident, or even with how to do with the horse that I love the most, that I can't look in the eyes anymore, and that I really can't ride right know, even if it makes sense to forgive him, I can't...

Hi there OP firstly I would like to say how very sorry I am about your daughters accident. When I was 14 (a long time ago) I broke my right neck of femur in a silly tumble, the doctors put it down to the extremely cold weather that day. I was in hospital for 6 weeks in total, they operated and I had 3 pins put into the break. I was 4.5 months off school but healed well and used to wiz around on my crutches.

In 1977 when I was 23 I took a crashing fall from a horse and shattered my right femur and again ended up in hospital for 2 months. I was on traction for 2 weeks before they operated on me as the bruising was extensive and they wanted the blood to soak back into the tissues before cutting my leg open. I had a very good surgeon and lovely doctors looking after me. They inserted a Kounchner (sp) nail down inside the bone by making a small incision at the top of my hip and passing the rod down. The splinters of bone the surgeon tied up with cat gut and a special glue that surgeons use. I was in traction with weights hanging off the bottom of the bed for a further 4 weeks and then was up on crutches (feeling rather giddy after 6 weeks in bed) and having physio each day. I then was allowed home as my mother was a nurse and was able to look after me (I wasn't married in those days). I went to physio 3 times a week and progressed well. Had 9.5 months off work and then went back to work with rather a limp which gradually strengthened.

I am still riding some 40 years later, have a very slight wobble to my walk but nothing I cant live with. As to ribs I have broken several times, once being knocked over by a horse, another time being squashed against the wall of the lorry by a horse and once by my husband picking me up and swinging me around at a dressage competition when the young horse I was producing won both her classes. I don't think they were as bad as your daughter, they were certainly very painful but again healed well.

Your daughter is young and with good surgeons and doctors should hopefully heal well. It does take time to recover from a serious accident even if you are young but each day you will gradually see a little progress.

MDB

Visit site
With regard to the OP being French but using feet and inches measures indicating her being a troll, I would like to point out something. Some of you know that I live in Spain. I never had horses in the UK. There are some things of a horse nature that I only know the Spanish words for, not the English words. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that the OP learnt her English in some place that measures feet and inches and she has kept this habit? Whether she is a troll or not, I stand by my first reply to her. If she is genuine she will need all the support she gets. If she isn't then really I won't be losing sleep over it.

Karran

Visit site
I don't know if genuine or not but would like to give benefit of doubt and I hope she recovers.

I am 33 and I can only work in feet and inches. Even better if someone gives me a visual aid - size of a double decker bus, size of Wales etc.

GirlFriday

Visit site

Oh, no, you've misunderstood about the proving - I was saying that the troll was laying some bait there when (s)he said she didn't know how to prove.

I suggested posting a link to OP's own SJ record as apparently both parents are SJs just to play along with the game without encouraging any pictures of kids or similar to be posted.

I don't usually respond to the troll threads on here when I spot what they are but it has been a tough week or so and so the obscenity of this one felt like something I'd go along with this time. Dances with Trolls etc etc

Ladyinred

Visit site
Oh, no, you've misunderstood about the proving - I was saying that the troll was laying some bait there when (s)he said she didn't know how to prove.

I suggested posting a link to OP's own SJ record as apparently both parents are SJs just to play along with the game without encouraging any pictures of kids or similar to be posted.

I don't usually respond to the troll threads on here when I spot what they are but it has been a tough week or so and so the obscenity of this one felt like something I'd go along with this time. Dances with Trolls etc etc

I think you are rather an unkind person and am glad I don't have contact with you in real life.

So, you are basically taking out your own frustrations and insecurities on a person who may or may not have a child in a life-threatening condition. Not really very nice, is it?

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I think you are rather an unkind person and am glad I don't have contact with you in real life.

So, you are basically taking out your own frustrations and insecurities on a person who may or may not have a child in a life-threatening condition. Not really very nice, is it?

Says it all really.

GirlFriday

Visit site
I'm fuelling a debate kindly in order to give the troll the oxygen of controversy and attention they are seeking. Very charitable actually :)

I may or may not currently have a child in a life threatening situation but it hasn't stopped you being rather deliciously vicious without even having been invited.

Cheers m'dear :)

Edited to Add a dishonourable mention for Dave's Mum - *waves*

Mike007

Visit site
I would rather "be made a fool of"a thousand times by a troll,than risk offending a legitimate poster. I know I am not a fool and I hope I am a compassionate human being.Life is hard ,dealing with it is even harder.I wish theOP well troll or not.

rachk89

Visit site

I am afraid that while you are correct no matter what you say they won't change. You can't polish a turd after all.

popsdosh

Visit site
I am afraid that while you are correct no matter what you say they won't change. You can't polish a turd after all.

There you are showing you are no better than the person your condemning really puts you on the moral high ground doesnt it!

I wish the OP a speedy recovery for either their child or their mind!

Last edited: