My mare is dead

Vicki1986

Visit site
So sorry. This poem helped me in April, hope it helps you.

If the day should come when I'm in pain,
And you know I won't be well again,
Promise you'll do what must be done,
If this is the battle that can't be won.

It'll break your heart, but please be kind,
Don't let your grieving sway your mind.
For this is when you'll let me see
Just how much you do love me.

Together we've had happy years
The future now can hold no fears.
Please don't let me suffer
so When that days comes, please let me go.

For my usual vet please will you send?
But stay with me until the end.
Hold me steady, speak to me
Till my once bright eyes no longer see

In time I hope you'll come to see
It's the last kindness you'll do for me
One more time please stroke my mane
And know that I'll have no more pain.

And don't be sad that it was you
Who decided this was what to do.
We've been such buddies through the years
Don't let me be the cause of tears.

You'll always see me graze now,
with the sun upon my back
Painful limbs won't tire me now,
however long the hack.

I live now in your heart and mind,
a lovely place to stay.
And what you have in memories,
no one can take away.

This is lovely, and brought a tear to my eye.

I lost my very precious friend this summer to colic.

I am so sorry for your loss and the pain I know you are feeling.

guido16

Visit site
She was ok, then went down hill again,after two poos. Called vet, lay outside flat out with her in stable for 20 minutes.
Vet gave her bus open, painkiller, took bloods and antibiotic as I wanted that incase infection

15 minutes later, she was rolling on gravel and sweating like a pig. Had all the drugs before so not allergic. Called vet, they called senior vet. Only suggestion was more painkiller. No. That just masked pain.

She had highest pain threshold ever so lying flat out and grinding teeth meant serious pain.

Not doing this. I owed her more.

She whinnied when she went. Didn't fall. Went down on her knees.Quietly.

I am utterly devasted. Crying my eyes out. Put two rugs over her. Digger in morning. Boys are calling for her. What a ****ing **** month. Had dog put down 2 weeks ago. *******s to just now.

Will see if bloods bring anything. I know now that the colic was a symptom to something. What? Who knows.

Elsiecat

Visit site
She was ok, then went down hill again,after two poos. Called vet, lay outside flat out with her in stable for 20 minutes.
Vet gave her bus open, painkiller, took bloods and antibiotic as I wanted that incase infection

15 minutes later, she was rolling on gravel and sweating like a pig. Had all the drugs before so not allergic. Called vet, they called senior vet. Only suggestion was more painkiller. No. That just masked pain.

She had highest pain threshold ever so lying flat out and grinding teeth meant serious pain.

I am utterly devasted. Crying my eyes out. Put two rugs over her. Digger in morning. Boys are calling for her. What a ****ing **** month. Had dog put down 2 weeks ago. *******s to just now.

Will see if bloods bring anything. I know now that the colic was a symptom to something. What? Who knows.

You did the best thing. You must be feeling heartbroken. I'm so sorry xxx

Izzwizz

Visit site

So so sorry for you. Know how you feel, lost a mare I looked after for 5yrs 3 weeks ago, was peaceful for her too. Cant believe it, lost my old Lab too a week later after too. Big hugs to you, you must be in total shock.xxx

guido16

Visit site
So sorry. This poem helped me in April, hope it helps you.

If the day should come when I'm in pain,
And you know I won't be well again,
Promise you'll do what must be done,
If this is the battle that can't be won.

It'll break your heart, but please be kind,
Don't let your grieving sway your mind.
For this is when you'll let me see
Just how much you do love me.

Together we've had happy years
The future now can hold no fears.
Please don't let me suffer
so When that days comes, please let me go.

For my usual vet please will you send?
But stay with me until the end.
Hold me steady, speak to me
Till my once bright eyes no longer see

In time I hope you'll come to see
It's the last kindness you'll do for me
One more time please stroke my mane
And know that I'll have no more pain.

And don't be sad that it was you
Who decided this was what to do.
We've been such buddies through the years
Don't let me be the cause of tears.

You'll always see me graze now,
with the sun upon my back
Painful limbs won't tire me now,
however long the hack.

I live now in your heart and mind,
a lovely place to stay.
And what you have in memories,
no one can take away.

Thank you so much for such a wonderful poem. I will truly save this for friends who have to go through this. That has really touched me.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm sure that you made the right decision. It's awful when you have to make the decision in an emergency but it's usually the only thing that can be done. I think the shock and the suddennness make it harder to get your head round it, it's bad enough when the decision has been made and planned because of old-age but when one minute you're making plans for things to do with the horse and then next the horse is gone, takes some coming to terms with.
After a while you will be able to take some comfort from memories of happier times.

mon

Visit site
So nice that you are going to have her buried, we bury ours and I want to go next to them when time comes, often look at where they are buried but can't bring myself to walk on that part of field.

Izzwizz

Visit site
I'm sure that you made the right decision. It's awful when you have to make the decision in an emergency but it's usually the only thing that can be done. I think the shock and the suddennness make it harder to get your head round it, it's bad enough when the decision has been made and planned because of old-age but when one minute you're making plans for things to do with the horse and then next the horse is gone, takes some coming to terms with.
After a while you will be able to take some comfort from memories of happier times.

So very true, lost my mare 7yrs ago on 7th Dec to a broken leg in the field. Turned her out, phone call at work at lunch time, gone. x

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
The decision was taken out of your hands. There wasn't any other option and at least she had you there. There's nothing any of us can do to make it better but lots of us have been there and will be there again all too soon. (Hugs) x

ozpoz

Visit site
Try to take comfort in knowing you did everything you could for her.
I feel sure horses know when they are loved.
Look after yourself.
xx

Bikerchickone

Visit site
So sorry to hear this, such a horrible thing to happen, but you did the best you could and I'm sure she knew how much you loved her. So sorry x