My next equine project horse

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Once again Ted has put himself up for re-homing. Yesterday was a bad day and today even worse, even Alice gifting her Easter Egg to him didn't cheer him up, nether did Dim Tim's offer of the most comfy corner of the barn, but no, he is off to find someone who will love him more than we do.

Yesterday was routine teeth checking and Ted was found to still have some deciduous teeth and some edges that needed attention. He had his brave pants on but they ripped so he had a little happy juice. Alice took the mick out of him but was soon crying when she was told she also needed attention, she only wears thongs so no room for bravery to be stored, with two vets working she was soon also in fairy land. Dim Tim looked on rather smugly until being told he had wolf teeth and they needed to come out and he was also swiftly sent to fairyland. There was something comical about watching the 3 of them away with the fairies standing in the sun waiting to recover, they looked like 3 drunken teenagers after a good night out. Extra carrots all round for bravery and Ted was persuaded that only special horses have deciduous and grown up teeth together. Alice had a slap for calling him extra specially abnormal and Dim Tim continued to wonder why his feet would not move in the same direction as his body.

This morning Ted went to a small competition and did two lovely tests, behaved beautifully in strong winds and was a happy little horse until finding out he had finished last in the one test and 6th in the other. We advised him not to stamp on the judge's head or her car and not to post anything rude on facebook. We tried to explain to him that not all judges like his type and even though he performed correctly, not all judges will like him. That made things worse and he has locked himself in his bedroom ever since.

Any one want a sulking cart horse ?

Luci07

Visit site
Oh shame. This used to happen to an old YO. She rode a stunning coloured cob at AM. One week he would be right up there in the placings, next week right down when the tests felt the same. She did end up voting with her feet. Anyway, you know your boy, you know he went well and it was just one day. I feel a vicarious distant pride in Ted and his antics so raspberries to the judge and onwards and upwards for another day. Sink a glass of something nice and enjoy the break! X

View

Visit site
Aw bless, he really doesn't understand that it's not you that judged the tests, does he?

This is not one of those times when you offer to help him pack either.

Love the descriptions of the dentistry visit. Your writing cheers me up on days like this, so thank you again.

Cobbytype

Visit site
The most memorable routine at the Paralympics was the Irish rider on a cob of unknown breeding who did her routine to steptoe and son! It brought the house down with lots of waving as we were not supposed to clap! It was a 1a test so all in walk.

Ditto!!!

Hetsmum

Visit site
I have at home a cd of Brass Band music. There is Thunderbirds on it! I was working out a routine for 2 cobs for a dressage to music competition. It would suit Ted down to the ground. Well done Ted for behaving at dressage. Sometimes the judges need glasses ;)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Fabulous day for Team Ted and I am undecided where to start.

Ted first I think, today was the final dressage day for our local riding club, Ted has attended all six of the winter series doing the intro tests and one rather disastrous attempt at prelim 1. I made a good try at tidying him up, so much easier when I am on leave ! and off we went. He went nicely and managed a 68% for second place, was mannerly and his anxiety did not show up other than a bit of teeth grinding on the lorry and a projectile poo whilst I plaited him, two habits he will grow out of hopefully.

P1010018_zpsztcofnce.jpg

We went home more than happy with him and as we left the organisers told us we need to come back in the afternoon because Ted had scored enough points to earn a Winter Dressage championship rosette. How lovely and satisfying is that, especially after all we have been through with him, This may sound ridiculous and obviously in a very different way, but this horse has given us a greater sense of achievement than producing my big horse to compete successfully at Hoys and BD regionals did. The big horse would have been a success in almost anyone's hands, we just managed to get it right with him and it was an honour to be associated with him. Ted on the other hand was and is a challenge, nothing can be taken for granted and every little improvement has been cherished.

P1010017%20-%20Copy_zpsuy5i1qwn.jpg

Home for lunch and the postman delivered a letter that I have been waiting an agonising four weeks for. I remain NED - no evidence of disease. I wish the NHS sent these post scan result letters out quicker, I have been a binge eating insomniac for weeks. I needed that letter and I no longer need to dread next weeks visit to see the oncologist.

We went back for the championship prize giving on foot, just as well it was on foot as Ted was spark out in the field. Not only did our brilliant boy win a huge frilly, he also won a packet of honey flavoured sweets for himself, no chance of any sharing with Alice and Dim Tim !, and a rather nice pair of Mark Todd riding gloves. I have been able to truthfully tell the husband Ted has won one of the 'fivers' I have spent on him back !!

I think I might have to open the left over Christmas Prosseco, cheers and good health to everyone who has supported and encouraged Team Ted over the years. I am unashamedly proud of the next photograph. Ted always had a home for life, despite the numerous incidents, injuries and horror moments I have endured with him. As the judge said on the test paper today - Lots to look forward to, isn't there just, well there will be when canter appears without the need for stabilisers and a parachute.

P1010026_zpsspn9cqvt.jpg

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
what a great report , well done ted and his rider. ted looks very smart and grown up... and last but definitely not least GREAT NEWS about your results..please keep updating, your thread really cheers up the evenings for me.......

View

Visit site
Oh this update brought a lump to my throat.

Fabulous news on your scan result!

And well done Ted and team. Hope he doesn't scoff all the treats at once and give himself tummy ache ...

Kids eh, it's moments like this that make it all worth it.

meesha

Visit site
What brilliant news about Ted, you really do deserve to be so proud, all that hard work has certainly paid off.

Yippee to your own results, a glass of Prosecco and a good nights sleep for both you and Ted (better make his an alcopop though, younger generation find Prosecco a bit dry!! )

Clare85

Visit site
You've been through so much with him, it's so wonderful to see how far he has come. What a super boy he is and so lucky to have found you AA! I feel proud for you and so pleased re. your own results. Oh dear, I seem to have something in my eye.....!

Greybird

Visit site
Yay, AA. So pleased for you, and many congratulations to every member of Ted's Team.
Queen's We Are The Champions, comes to mind but that may be a bit OTT for a comp!

Hetsmum

Visit site
What a wonderful result. AA your posts always either have me in hysterics or tears..........mostly of joy - just wiping them away now. Very well done to Team Ted and the big man himself :)

McFluff

Visit site
Woo hoo - what a great update. Well done Ted and great news for you. Thanks for sharing your story, such an inspiration.

Adopter

Visit site
AA delighted to read your news that results finally arrived and are good news, Congratulations to Team Ted, a well deserved result for all the patience and hard work that has gone on to reach this stage.

I am still hoping to see a video of Ted doing dressage to music, complete with canter, even if it means a bit of a wait!

AML

Visit site
Well what a double header of a day!

It also gives you Ted's competition name - Ted the NED - it will remind you of this very happy day.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Well what a double header of a day!

It also gives you Ted's competition name - Ted the NED - it will remind you of this very happy day.

That is clever !

Thank you for all the kind words. He is going to have fun on a few pleasure rides next, his rider wants to ride around the Adam Henson ride in the Cotswolds and The Bluebell Ride. The worrying bit is I might have to accompany him on my pocket rocket Martha. I am so unfit and fat a 30 minute hack is the limit at the moment !

Ted's dressage will have a break now, he has mastered the intro tests, those outings have put the travelling/loading routine in and put him in the warm up environment successfully. His education will plod on slowly and has to fit in to the Hunter showing season, his rider has a nice middleweight.

We are thinking about finding an instructor for Ted, possibly tricky because nothing will P an instructor off more than being told what the horse will or won't cope with. How do you tell an instructor that the common cob stood in front of them is actually an ultra sensitive, panic prone but rather talented bonkers carthorse with potential to get to at least elementary level ? They would fall over laughing at us.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Not if you find the right instructor they won't! There are some fab instructors who don't have preconceptions about what our - er - heavier brethren can achieve! They should be beating a path to your door - think of the kudos of being Ted's trainer!

Enjoy the pleasure rides - they'll help you get fit and unfat!

Roxylola

Visit site
I no longer teach professionally but I would have been so excited to work with Ted. I worked on a riding school who had a shire at one point, we brought him on to be a super stage 2 jumping horse, he could have done all sorts in a private home, had fabulous paces and was utterly convinced he was full brother to King William!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Training has begun, hour and a half on the pocket rocket this morning, even had the energy to clean the tack. I will be as stiff as a plank in a couple of hours. Ted is sun bathing.