My next equine project horse

AdorableAlice

Visit site
More fans for Ted.

This morning Ted and a friend set off for a jolly around the Cotswolds. The message that has just arrived tells me that during the ride through a beautiful Cotswold village they came across a large group of Japanese tourists who were fascinated by the horses and have all taken selfies with Ted. Do they not have horses in Japan ? Followed by 'we are having bacon sandwiches now and will be home later. I will assume that is the two riders having a bacon sandwich and not Ted with his new Japanese friends.

My furry fool is now making international connections !

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Not sure if it was a good idea or not.

He just about tolerated the fronts coming off, but it took a good while. He had a melt down with the hinds and kicked out several times, not violent kicking but enough to make it impossible to finish him and he splatted me up the wall which frightened him.

His legs are nice and healthy under the feather which was a bonus, but I am not sure I like the look and he isn't my unique Ted anymore.

18195523_10211587246130871_982678305_o_zpsqgndxs3y.jpg

LadySam

Visit site
Ahh, now you know for sure now what it looks like. It's quite a bit different to my Photoshop guess from a while back, isn't it? His feet are not dinner plates at all, his pasterns don't slope badly and he's a bit finer boned under all that feather than I would have guessed. He doesn't look wrong with clipped legs - I quite like it. But yes, it does stop him looking like unique Ted.

alibali

Visit site
To my eye (and I know the square route of diddly squat!) he looks a little top heavy without those glorious feathers mother nature provided to anchor him to the ground! But it had to be done or you would always have wondered what he would look like trimmed up..... Love this thread and the adventures of your merry band :)

chaps89

Visit site
He's giving you 'The Look' there isn't he! I was really looking forwards to seeing him clipped out but I have to say I actually think his feathers suit him :eek:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I wonder how long it takes to grow back. The Pocket Rocket mare grows rapidly but her feather is coarse, Ted has the Shire silky feather.

Well make that did have, I am now worrying about him getting sun burn.

scrat

Visit site

teacups

Visit site
I quite like the look!
It will be interesting to hear what effect it has on him - any difference in his way of going, or none? Or would it be impossible to tell and mainly depend on blue smartie intake? I expect Alice is watching this new fashion trend with interest.

What made you decide to go for it - just curiosity to see what was under there?

I've loved all the updates. Any outings this Bank holiday weekend?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine had his off about 10 months ago, and they are about two thirds grown back now.

I really like the new streamlined Ted, but if they arent happy being clipped out then it becomes an ordeal for all concerned, so I think I'm another one for let them grow back as well sadly.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I quite like the look!
It will be interesting to hear what effect it has on him - any difference in his way of going, or none? Or would it be impossible to tell and mainly depend on blue smartie intake? I expect Alice is watching this new fashion trend with interest.

What made you decide to go for it - just curiosity to see what was under there?

I've loved all the updates. Any outings this Bank holiday weekend?

Greetings from Ted Land, no outings, this weekend has been dedicated to tidy up the yard, spraying, fencing and tip runs. How is it possible to accumulate so much rubbish and for the place to look so scruffy in such a short period of time since the last tidy up. Plus I don't want to be too far away as champion show horse hasn't been too well this past week.

The next outing is on the 6th and another toddlers tea party with both of them in the same classes. Ted has just let me do his hinds this morning and although not perfect his legs look ok and at least match the front pair! he is sporting a designer belly stripe too, well I had to start somewhere other than straight onto his tricky hind legs didn't I ! and he is in full summer coat so I didn't want to hack at that and he never cow kicks so I was in a safe spot. He is still a complex little man, after it taking two sessions to do his legs and him getting upset, he stood peacefully whilst I did his beard. He has come a long way and there is so much more to achieve with him.

It will be interesting to see what the judges think on Saturday. I watched him trot over the field and thought he action looked more rounded without the feather and his feet are so much more noticeable, so maybe the feather did conceal faults. It was curiosity that made us do it plus his riders far fetched fantasy of possibly showing him in a local class, what as is anyone's guess.

Tomorrow is another milestone in Ted's career. With all this hard ground and an increase in work he is hinting towards being footsore, so my farrier is busy making a pair of fronts to be fitted tomorrow. Alice will be at his side for moral support and to tell him she was very brave and didn't make a fuss when she had her first shoes on. I had hoped he would stay barefoot as he always managed to grow more foot than he used between trims but he hasn't this spring. At least with the feathers gone he won't get set on fire !

But before all the shoes and competitions we have a birthday party this afternoon to wish the best horse I have ever had the honour of owning, a very happy 24th birthday. I know deep down he won't see 25, so I just treasure everyday that is left.

Home1-720x0_zpswaf6rs4j.jpg

17670404_10211316893252218_816534780_o_zpsz0aperxs.jpg

Rollin

Visit site
I love reading this thread. I have Ambre Solaire factor 50 for horses who we worry might get sunburn. A new market for which he could be a model?

You know, we were very worried about my old horse when we moved to France. I thought he might have another winter. He lived to be 36 years old and enjoyed 9 years in this mild climate. I hope your old darling goes on for a few more years.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Alice has told Ted he is a has been and his fame is over, so he packed his haynet and has left home to join one of the 33 admirers that are insisting his thread continues. He upgraded his phone recently and his tracker says he is heading south as he has heard the cow parsley is of excellent quality down there.

Now whoever sees him first must return him pronto because those new handmade shoes are to be fitted at 10am. I bet the little madam has also told him shoes are the work of the devil.

AML

Visit site
Alice has told Ted he is a has been and his fame is over, so he packed his haynet and has left home to join one of the 33 admirers that are insisting his thread continues. He upgraded his phone recently and his tracker says he is heading south as he has heard the cow parsley is of excellent quality down there.

Now whoever sees him first must return him pronto because those new handmade shoes are to be fitted at 10am. I bet the little madam has also told him shoes are the work of the devil.

34 ....

Annagain

Visit site
37. Archie and Monty tell me that this year's Cow Parlsey vintage is unsurpassed. We'll expect you in the next few hours Ted.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
He is back, Alice is stood quietly by his side whilst he is tortured with nails being hammered into his feet. All is going well so far but the farrier is sweating well, might have to administer electrolytes shortly.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
40... Down South but glad he is home safe. Is there any news on Dim Tim

This picture arrived yesterday and apart from wondering why there is a need to put a flash on an unbroken horse, I felt very proud of how he has settled and is trying to please his new owners. He is in a professional breakers yard and I was delighted when they sent a message to say they rarely get one with manners and unspoilt from hobby breeding homes.

If he turns into a show hunter I am going to rue the day he left me.

18260961_120332000547083457_34719185_o_zpsi1ozrwop.jpg

Ted was perfect for the farrier and is now sporting Doc Martins, he galloped over to greet me this evening and the ground shook. He will hack tomorrow and I think it is time he wore knee boots now he is shod. He has never tripped and is as sure footed as a mountain goat, but better safe than sorry. I just hope he keeps his first shoes on longer than Alice did.

Amor Estelle

New User
Visit site
41. Long time lurker. Had to give up horses early 90's. Your writing is amazing. You really should write a book! Big horse, Ted, Alice and Martha.. you have all kept me going through dark days struggling with the impacts of the dreaded 'C'.