Need advice about daughter

wobblecob2017

Visit site
We have just moved to a lovely private yard 1 mile from our house. It is only me and my 14 year old daughter there, and she owns a horse which she is hoping to school and produce so she can compete on it. There is an arena in this yard which is lovely, however when we were reading the rules to this yard it seems that under 16s need adult supervision when down there. This is pretty inconvenient as she was hoping that moving to these stables she would have more independence with her horse without me always watching over her. I would if I could go there to just keep an eye on her however when I'm working on weekends this prevents her from being able to pop up and school her pony without me. I was wondering how I could convince the woman that owns these stables to allow my daughter to be there alone without me?

wobblecob2017

Visit site
If you are saying that you want your 14 year old daughter to be able to school her pony with noone there then I think that is pretty dangerous - we never know when the unexpected may happen and it is always wise to have someone else nearby.
I have considered this so I thought maybe she could pop up there if I was nearby or her older sister was nearby seeing as our home is only 1 mile away. It just seems a shame as she was hoping she wouldn't have to rely on me to go there with her so she could have a little independence.

HEM

Visit site
Would she be on her own? I remember the first yard I owned at had the same rules but my mum spoke with the YO and she was fine me being on the yard as long as the YO knew I was there and there were other adults on the yard. If an accident was to happen then there is not much you could do as a parent vs YO as an adult?

I agree with ester... could be insurance in which case she won't change her mind.

be positive

Visit site
As the owner of a small livery yard I would also want under 16's to be 'supervised' while riding, if I am around, which I am most of the time, if I felt the child was capable I would be happy to keep half an eye on them by arrangement but would have some reservations if the horse was very green or they were planning on jumping without proper assistance so I do understand why the YO has this rule in place and that they will need to get to know you before they may consider allowing changes.
If the yard is ideal in every other way give it time, let your daughter prove she is responsible and see how it pans out.

wobblecob2017

Visit site
Would she be on her own? I remember the first yard I owned at had the same rules but my mum spoke with the YO and she was fine me being on the yard as long as the YO knew I was there and there were other adults on the yard. If an accident was to happen then there is not much you could do as a parent vs YO as an adult?

I agree with ester... could be insurance in which case she won't change her mind.
She would most likely be on her own however YOs house is next to the stables and she is there more often than not. It is only a small yard with only me and my daughter on it. I have just remembered tho that when I was talking to YO about rules and what have you she stated she has been 'advised' to not allow under 16s there without adult supervision but that doesn't been it is a set in stone rule does it?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Why would she be responsible? My daughter just wishes to have some independence with her pony and I would only allow her to go and ride her pony if I was nearby.

Because she is the only adult there.

I think it depends what you mean by 'nearby', in OP you said daughter wants to be able to school while you are at work. Do you work on the yard?

Just imagine what would happen if your daughter fell off and was injured while no responsible adult was on the yard. Who is going to ring for the ambulance/let you know what is happening/ accompany her to hospital/give consent to treatment?

I really don't think you have thought this through.

wobblecob2017

Visit site
As the owner of a small livery yard I would also want under 16's to be 'supervised' while riding, if I am around, which I am most of the time, if I felt the child was capable I would be happy to keep half an eye on them by arrangement but would have some reservations if the horse was very green or they were planning on jumping without proper assistance so I do understand why the YO has this rule in place and that they will need to get to know you before they may consider allowing changes.
If the yard is ideal in every other way give it time, let your daughter prove she is responsible and see how it pans out.
Yes it is a lovely little yard and I guess that may be the best thing to do. We have only been there a couple of weeks and I did tell my daughter maybe we should give it time and let her to get to know us and the horses so she can trust us and my daughter to not do stupid things.

wobblecob2017

Visit site
Because she is the only adult there.

I think it depends what you mean by 'nearby', in OP you said daughter wants to be able to school while you are at work. Do you work on the yard?

Just imagine what would happen if your daughter fell off and was injured while no responsible adult was on the yard. Who is going to ring for the ambulance/let you know what is happening/ accompany her to hospital/give consent to treatment?

I really don't think you have thought this through.
By nearby I mean I am at home which is less than a mile away from the yard.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

All true but what about if YO wants to spend her weekend away from the yard - shopping/showing/watching racing on TV? Why should she give up her plans to be responsible for someone else's child?

HEM

Visit site
She would most likely be on her own however YOs house is next to the stables and she is there more often than not. It is only a small yard with only me and my daughter on it. I have just remembered tho that when I was talking to YO about rules and what have you she stated she has been 'advised' to not allow under 16s there without adult supervision but that doesn't been it is a set in stone rule does it?

I would have to agree with the others then... If she plans to be pretty much completely on her own with only YO in doors a short distance away then no I doubt she will let her.

Think if something was to happen out of sight of YO you might no know for hours...

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
By nearby I mean I am at home which is less than a mile away from the yard.

Your daughter would have to be able to shout very loudly to make you hear her if she fell off and broke her phone, or you would have to have very good eyesight to be able to watch her from your home. If you are going to be at home,rather than at work, I can't see why you can't go to the yard while she is there.

wobblecob2017

Visit site
You seem pretty insistent that regardless of answers you really think this shouldn't be an issue :rolleyes:.

did you not read the rules before you took this yard on?
Sorry I dont want to seem defensive I am just thinking of my daughter who is a bit peed off with the fact she has to always rely on everyone else to ride her horse. I just wanted to know if there was a way to arrange something to allow her to do so.

Nasicus

Visit site
Sorry I dont want to seem defensive I am just thinking of my daughter who is a bit peed off with the fact she has to always rely on everyone else to ride her horse. I just wanted to know if there was a way to arrange something to allow her to do so.
You could arrange for someone else to supervise her? Doesn't have to be you, could be an instructor, an adult friend, a family member?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

If it is you and your daughter as liveries I presume you have a horse too? In that case could you get a sharer for your horse in return for child minding duties instead of paying?

As a youngster I was on a livery yard that was child oriented. It was great as parents could chuck us all out of the car or send us on the bus knowing we were all together and in a place where the YO was watching. This is, however, a private yard, and I guess the YO has other things to do when she is at home.

I keep my horse at home and don't particularly like it when I am home alone. It does not have to be a riding accident, it could be while fetching in or turning out. I do have a no clipping or jumping rule when home alone, as I am in my 50s and don't need supervision per se, but I can quite understand why a YO on a quiet private yard would not want to be responsible for a 14 year old round the horse.