NEED ADVICE! LOOSING HOPE!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm not sure how it's not accurate I've had a look through the documents and to register they do have to have a genetic test for PSSM (whether they also include type 2 in that I'm not 100% sure but they might).

Type ii test has only recently been available anyway so it won't have been done when this horse was registered.

ycbm

Visit site
I'm only young {14}, has anyone got any advice on simply how to keep going because I'm loosing hope! I've given up so much for him, I can't ride out with friends, I can't really even think about competing and I can't enjoy a nice hack.

I am really struggling to understand why anyone thinks it's bad advice to give a child who writes this that they would be better off selling and getting a horse they can enjoy riding.

Last edited:

Keep Trying

Visit site
Hi OP,

Well done for all that you have achieved so far and apologies if this has been considered already.

I knew someone who had similar issues with their horse - not a PRE though - and transpired that horse had Kissing Spines which had previously been missed. Has your boy been x-rayed for spines??

Just a thought...

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I think the kindest posts on here are the most honest ones.

And IMO they are the ones that encourage the OP to recognise that they might not be the best owner for this particular horse, and to consider putting considerable effort into finding a more suitable and experienced home for him. Then concentrate on finding a new horse that better suits their aspirations and experience level and start to enjoy your involvement with horses, at 14 you should be having a blast on your horse, not stressing about all these behaviour and health issues.

I think it is pretty pointless suggesting further tests and work ups etc. as OP has clearly stated that the insurance is now used up and there aren't any funds left - another point in favour of looking for another more suited home. You have done all you appear to be able to on the vet front OP and well done for that.

Also the suggestion of an experienced instructor who DOES have experience of the breed is another pointless suggestion, OP has said she had one and they didnt get on as the instructor 'wouldn't listen to her'. Not sure exactly what that meant.

OP you sound very mature, very caring and have done the best you can within your means. Another step up the ladder of maturity and responsibility when owning our own horses is recognising and accepting that we might not be the best for that particular horse. That is swallowing what WE want, and what WE would prefer and sometimes letting much loved horses go on for their own good and benefit to another owner that could well help you horse to achieve and settle to a lifestyle more suited to him. Good luck whatever you decide long term.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
While I would agree that it's not a lot of fun for a teenager to be sorting out a tricky horse, tbf I don't think it's really kind on anyone to sell on a horse with potentially unknown medical issues just because the insurance has run out. It's not really fair on the horse, the buyer or the OP who may well find it's something as simple as the return of ulcers which seems to be not an uncommon problem and would be reasonably easy to either rule out or treat.
if the OP's parents are horsey, as I think she has indicated, they will know that horses run up vets bills now and then, so presumably if they aren't prepared to pay for them at any point, that would be the driver for selling the horse. I think the OP has said the horse is being treated again so sounds like they are happy to continue funding it out of their own pockets.

Lana.H05

Visit site
While I would agree that it's not a lot of fun for a teenager to be sorting out a tricky horse, tbf I don't think it's really kind on anyone to sell on a horse with potentially unknown medical issues just because the insurance has run out. It's not really fair on the horse, the buyer or the OP who may well find it's something as simple as the return of ulcers which seems to be not an uncommon problem and would be reasonably easy to either rule out or treat.
if the OP's parents are horsey, as I think she has indicated, they will know that horses run up vets bills now and then, so presumably if they aren't prepared to pay for them at any point, that would be the driver for selling the horse. I think the OP has said the horse is being treated again so sounds like they are happy to continue funding it out of their own pockets.
Yes so we spoke to a friend who has suggested a good treatment and it arrives tomorrow however we had some stuff left over so we have re introduced that. It's probably the ulcers back as it's very common for them to return. Vet bills happen and just have to be dealt with. I don't see the point in selling him because there are no positives. I won't get over the fact I would have failed and probably won't ride again and he would just end up still in pain and anxious all over again. Thank you for understanding Xx

Lana.H05

Visit site
I think the kindest posts on here are the most honest ones.

And IMO they are the ones that encourage the OP to recognise that they might not be the best owner for this particular horse, and to consider putting considerable effort into finding a more suitable and experienced home for him. Then concentrate on finding a new horse that better suits their aspirations and experience level and start to enjoy your involvement with horses, at 14 you should be having a blast on your horse, not stressing about all these behaviour and health issues.

I think it is pretty pointless suggesting further tests and work ups etc. as OP has clearly stated that the insurance is now used up and there aren't any funds left - another point in favour of looking for another more suited home. You have done all you appear to be able to on the vet front OP and well done for that.

Also the suggestion of an experienced instructor who DOES have experience of the breed is another pointless suggestion, OP has said she had one and they didnt get on as the instructor 'wouldn't listen to her'. Not sure exactly what that meant.

OP you sound very mature, very caring and have done the best you can within your means. Another step up the ladder of maturity and responsibility when owning our own horses is recognising and accepting that we might not be the best for that particular horse. That is swallowing what WE want, and what WE would prefer and sometimes letting much loved horses go on for their own good and benefit to another owner that could well help you horse to achieve and settle to a lifestyle more suited to him. Good luck whatever you decide long term.

Lana.H05

Visit site
Hi OP,

Well done for all that you have achieved so far and apologies if this has been considered already.

I knew someone who had similar issues with their horse - not a PRE though - and transpired that horse had Kissing Spines which had previously been missed. Has your boy been x-rayed for spines??

Just a thought...
No he's hasn't and the Chiropractor hasn't picked this up but I will definitely keep this in mind. Thank you

ycbm

Visit site
It's probably the ulcers back as it's very common for them to return.

Lana when ulcers recur and the management of the horse (food, turnout etc) is good it is usually because the horse is in pain somewhere.

If he is ulcer prone then after any treatment your vet recommends , I would suggest aloe vera juice. It has been proven to work and at £8 a litre (40 days supply) is cheap.

Lana.H05

Visit site
Lana when ulcers recur and the management of the horse (food, turnout etc) is good it is usually because the horse is in pain somewhere.

If he is ulcer prone then after any treatment your vet recommends , I would suggest aloe vera juice. It has been proven to work and at £8 a litre (40 days supply) is cheap.

Okay that helpful ill definitely look into the aloe Vera. The reason we think they are back is because we couldn't give him the follow up treatment after the peptizole because it had Alfa in it and it send him a cukoo and they have probably just now gotten to a point where they hurt. But yes will look into aloe Vera

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Lana your horse sounds very similar to ours.
Have you had him scoped - were they glandular or squamous ulcers?
After 4 scopes & a full years treatment dealing with glandular ulcers which are particularly tricky to treat & cure, we turned him away for 18 months to let nature heal & hes now scoped clear.
In hindsight he had similar reactions to yours - over-reactive, over-anxious, over-jumping - it was also quite evident from his facial expression he was in pain & the way he was holding himself - check out Sue Dyson's pain recognition facial signs.
I truly admire your determination to stand by him - most pain is caused by humans & a lot can be healed by nature & nurture.

Lana.H05

Visit site
Lana your horse sounds very similar to ours.
Have you had him scoped - were they glandular or squamous ulcers?
After 4 scopes & a full years treatment dealing with glandular ulcers which are particularly tricky to treat & cure, we turned him away for 18 months to let nature heal & hes now scoped clear.
In hindsight he had similar reactions to yours - over-reactive, over-anxious, over-jumping - it was also quite evident from his facial expression he was in pain & the way he was holding himself - check out Sue Dyson's pain recognition facial signs.
I truly admire your determination to stand by him - most pain is caused by humans & a lot can be healed by nature & nurture.
I don't know If they were glandular or not I just know they were sort of in the middle area of the gut. He seems happy his usual cheeky self. I am really looking out for him to have an uncomfortable face but on the ground he hasn't changed at all. I'll have a look at Sue Dyson as it's probably interesting.