Never thought I’d be writing this :(

Visit site
He is a very lucky boy to have found you and I am pleased for his sake that he will stay with you. I'm a great believer that animals (and people) come into others lives at particular times for a reason. Well done Keira (I dont mean to sound patronising), i think youve truly shown throughout this thread what a lovely person you are and how much you can give to others (even whilst battling your own health problems). x

Ish2020

Visit site
At the end of the day he is not going to turn into a perfect horse just because you’re giving him 1 year off and the feed isn’t causing that type of behavior .

holeymoley

Visit site
At the end of the day he is not going to turn into a perfect horse just because you’re giving him 1 year off and the feed isn’t causing that type of behavior .

Bit of a rude reply.

No it might not turn him into the perfect horse and it also may not be the feed but it's a start and the OP is happy to offer him the security of a home in the meantime so why not.

fredflop

Visit site
My advice for his full work up is do your research and have it planned exactly what you want the vet to do - insurance or no insurance.

take him directly to vet hospital, don’t get the vet out to see him at home.

for the basics I’d suggest nerve blocks on his legs, any scans etc that are required from that; back X-ray and a scope for ulcers. The more you can get covered in one visit, the better value for money you can get. (Ie not having to pay for two examinations, two lots of sedation etc)

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I agree with taking him to a vet hospital since everything is right there. No need to worry about what can be done in the field vs at the clinic.

I think you have a good approach. If he gets plenty of turnout and some interaction, he will probably be ok with this arrangement. Keep us posted on how things go with the vet. Best of luck moving forward with everything.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

The wrong food can cause all types of different behaviour and seen as it caused hives it could have caused the rearing, one of my Arabs on molasses is the devil

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

The feed can easily be causing it. My Appyx rears in hand and strikes out (he got my hat and put a hole in it once) when fed alfalfa. Never any other time, he's a really gentle soul.

paddy555

Visit site
The wrong food can cause all types of different behaviour and seen as it caused hives it could have caused the rearing, one of my Arabs on molasses is the devil

it doesn't take much of the wrong feed. I had one barefoot who went footy on hi fibre, he was affected by alfalfa in a chop but he could eat any quantity of alfalfa nuts. Another who a nutritionalist put on a diet that included cereal. On day 2 I was lucky to get home on him. Staying on was safer than getting off as he just stood up being led.

It doesn't take much. I am pleased the alfafa has caused the hives. Quick answer to a problem.
I too wouldn't be surprised if there was very little wrong with Prince and that he could be sorted.

Lovely to hear a positive update on him. Lucky Prince. I am glad he has a future, many would have sent him back so well done for keeping him.

Now you have plenty of time I would start taking long reining lessons and then long him around quiet roads and common and your fields. If you found he long reined beautifully it may give you confidence that someone would be able to ride at some stage. OTOH if he was a nightmare, kept napping/refusing etc it may show up more problems.

Keira 8888

Visit site
He is a very lucky boy to have found you and I am pleased for his sake that he will stay with you. I'm a great believer that animals (and people) come into others lives at particular times for a reason. Well done Keira (I dont mean to sound patronising), i think youve truly shown throughout this thread what a lovely person you are and how much you can give to others (even whilst battling your own health problems). x
Thank you very much ? Very kind xx

Keira 8888

Visit site
This is a lovely update. ?

Just out of interest, has their been any improvement in his general leading and handling? I think you said he was a bit nappy and silly to bring out of the field etc.

Yes - there has been actually thank you! I have led him beautifully to be groomed at the yard in the last few days and he behaved beautifully! Ever since I changed his wretched food! He just seems calmer and more settled. Such a small thing but this has made me feel so good about our relationship - that he is happy to potter along next to me without me having to be too strong and yank at him. Luckily I have all the time in the world to wait out his “napping” - he must have decided it’s just not worth it ha!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Yes - there has been actually thank you! I have led him beautifully to be groomed at the yard in the last few days and he behaved beautifully! Ever since I changed his wretched food! He just seems calmer and more settled. Such a small thing but this has made me feel so good about our relationship - that he is happy to potter along next to me without me having to be too strong and yank at him. Luckily I have all the time in the world to wait out his “napping” - he must have decided it’s just not worth it ha!

Great stuff! ?

Winters100

Visit site

Oh - where was the post where OP said that a year off was going to do that? I must have missed it. As I recall she said that she was going to do extensive veterinary investigations and if all went well would try working with a pro after a year. So hardly assuming that a year off is turning him into a 'perfect horse'.

fusspot

Visit site
Pleased to hear that you have made a decision which keeps you all in a happy place.Everybody has there different ways of wanting to deal with things.....there is definetly no right or wrong...50% would keep him....50% would return him...at the end of the day no decision is the right decision but everybody has to make the decision that is best for them.
I think you are doing the right thing in getting a full check over.Personally if I was in your shoes...as there is no definite Lameness or obvious pain areas, the cheapest and easiest way is to speak to the vet about a bone scan.
One of my clients horses was very explosive and the only thing that showed was a very slight outward bend on the right rein only....literally nothing else to see.
I knew there was something and vets were convinced it was his neck...he went into the vets and they agreed there was something not right but couldn’t put their finger on it...neck x ray showed nothing so they did a bone scan...totally pain free but highlights any hotspots which can then direct the vets to an area to start looking at.In this horse it was actually both front suspensories..totally surprised everybody.Horse had rest and treatment and now fine.Without the bone scan they could have been fumbling in the dark and costing a fortune.Please keep us updated....maybe a new thread...PRINCE....THE NEXT CHAPTER.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
So many things come to mind

Kissing spine other issues
Tumours,
feed related
ulcers
trapped nerve

What does your vet say?

Personally I would speak to old owner but if they washed their hands of him, I would be vet next, get them to run tests on him.

Just one thing I read somewhere of a horse acting similar to this and he was pts but turned out to be tooth related after the pts they found one tooth going into the upper jaw
(I know you said you had teeth done) but was that a EDT or the vet? I felt sorry for this horse after this. It is great your keeping him though :)

Just found this one too https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/new...-horse-due-put-treated-unqualified-edt-694817

Last edited:
Visit site
Keira, really sorry to be 'that' person, I think I am not alone in saying that it is a bit concerning you haven't mentioned having a vet workup done yet? Personally I wouldn't be making any decisions about his future without doing one, as he may be uncomfortable even in the field depending on what, if there is one, physical issue(s) he has? Apologies if I have missed anything though.

Keira 8888

Visit site
Keira, really sorry to be 'that' person, I think I am not alone in saying that it is a bit concerning you haven't mentioned having a vet workup done yet? Personally I wouldn't be making any decisions about his future without doing one, as he may be uncomfortable even in the field depending on what, if there is one, physical issue(s) he has? Apologies if I have missed anything though.
No no - no need to apologise. I completely get what you’re saying. I had an initial vetting done but it wasn’t full scale. E.g not the most comprehensive I could have paid for. He passed this initial vetting with no issues at all other than a small cataract in his eye which vet said could have been there from birth. He wasn’t exhibiting any signs of discomfort so I didn’t feel the need to investigate cold back, ulcers, arthritis etc.. it was only when he reared (with hives) that I did. But now Ive seen this behaviour, and also witnessed his incredible temperament on the ground, I know something is up, and I will find out what it is. X

AandK

Visit site

The last two sentences of post 441 OP says she will have vet investigations.

Keira 8888

Visit site
So many things come to mind

Kissing spine other issues
Tumours,
feed related
ulcers
trapped nerve

What does your vet say?

Personally I would speak to old owner but if they washed their hands of him, I would be vet next, get them to run tests on him.

Just one thing I read somewhere of a horse acting similar to this and he was pts but turned out to be tooth related (I know you said you had teeth done) but was that a EDT or the vet? I felt sorry for this horse after this. It is great your keeping him though :)

Just found this one too https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/new...-horse-due-put-treated-unqualified-edt-694817

All valid points. I will have all of these investigated. We have changed his feed and it’s made a huge difference thank god. But everything else you mention will be investigated. I will report back!

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
Reiterate what other people have said about Prince being one very lucky ponio. Lots of people talk about rescuing horses but I think in Prince's case you have genuinely rescued him from a horrible life of being passed from one dodgy dealer and unsuitable home to the next and ending up in a downward spiral of abuse and neglect. He probably literally owes you his life.
If you decide to/fancy taking him for walkies around your village and need a wingman/extra pair of hands/someone to chitchat about life and horses drop me a message and we can go for a stroll sometime. You are an inspiration to us all.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I think it really does sound like it was the feed as the hives have gone and his back to his calm self, so maybe extensive test are not needed now as he passed a vetting, I would be inclined to have the vet out and explain the situation and see what they suggest.

Visit site
I think it really does sound like it was the feed as the hives have gone and his back to his calm self, so maybe extensive test are not needed now as he passed a vetting, I would be inclined to have the vet out and explain the situation and see what they suggest.
Is vertical rearing not a bit of an extreme reaction though, or is it not unusual as a reaction to alfalfa? Genuine question, I've never dealt with feed sensitivities.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Is vertical rearing not a bit of an extreme reaction though, or is it not unusual as a reaction to alfalfa? Genuine question, I've never dealt with feed sensitivities.

I dont know how unusual it is, C, but I have often wished I'd taken a picture of my hat. I don't know if I would have survived if I hadn't been wearing it, it was a jockey skull cap with a hole right through it.

The horse is a gentle, sweet, submissive creature unless he gets a few grams of alfalfa, when the mania in his eyes is visible.

Keira 8888

Visit site
I dont know how unusual it is, C, but I have often wished I'd taken a picture of my hat. I don't know if I would have survived if I hadn't been wearing it, it was a jockey skull cap with a hole right through it.

The horse is a gentle, sweet, submissive creature unless he gets a few grams of alfalfa, when the mania in his eyes is visible.

This is so interesting - what is it about the Alfa A?? Why does it seem to send so many crazy??