New horse shopping criteria

Equi

Visit site
Mine is 19 and still challenging on hack/on the ground sometimes, but a saint to ride in general. Ive had him 3 years and in that time have built both him and myself up a lot, and i know i only have another year or 2 if that but what he has given me is invaluable and my expectations for any new horse after him will be so high...but on paper/first viewing i would NEVER have considered him and only did buy him because i had been loaning him thus knew him. It did teach me though that i will never buy a horse without a loan first...so im going to have a shhiiiiiiitttt time getting another horse after him.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would not choose Bob, if they say he is stubborn to school, stubborn to load and they have not been able to sort that in a professional stables then I would not go there, He is a big horse to be stubborn!

The ginger hunt/event - I would go look at that one myself, and the ability to loan too. What's not to like???

The grey at the dealer, I would be ??? at the contact details being withheld when it is trade. Surely if you are truthful you would shout your name far and wide!

ihatework

Visit site
See, I wouldn’t completely write off Bob from the advert, which has no air of professionalism about it. There is a good chance he has just been fecked off by muppets.

Given he is within an hour of OP I’d at least call and possibly view to suss him out.

Granted he could be a big stubborn sour lump that’s not easily sorted and I wouldn’t be travelling across the country for him!

But not many of the others genuinely look strong enough to be carrying 15-16 stone regularly

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Granted he could be a big stubborn sour lump that’s not easily sorted and I wouldn’t be travelling across the country for him!
My money is on him indeed being a big stubborn sour lump, but he is the right stamp and he is fairly local to the OP, so he could be worth a cautious look. Ex RS horses are often quite tricky when they go back to private homes, they know all the tricks, but maybe he is just school sour and needs out.

I love the chestnut (don't we all!), but he's not up to enough weight.

SpringArising

Visit site
Phrases I would avoid:

• Needs one to one rider
  • Experienced home needed
  • Can be stubborn
  • Ideal bloke's horse (when they say this you know it's bad...)
  • Loves his job on the field
  • Will hunt all day
  • Can be stubborn
None of the horses linked sound suitable for you.

One thing that struck me about your list is that there's a whole list of metrics that you want. Instead of saying "I want a horse who is X years old and Y hands tall and Z colour", why not say, "I need a confidence giving horse who can make me feel safe without being a total donkey" - that way you leave yourself open to far more options.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The grey will be a bit wild and untrained and lumps and bumps does not sound good she does look sweet
The second is more interesting and you would need to know the back story nice looking ID don’t usaully end up sitting about not broken .
However for for OP I would say no she has no school and no back up for sorting stuff out I might have a punt at a horse like that for MrGS but I have daily help never need to hack alone , a school ,a fit young man to deploy if necessary it makes something like that less of a risk .
Most of these big reasonably conformed big horses who are cheap will be carrying soundness issues and 3k to buy and quickly and easily become 6k and ongoing cost
In OP’s situation she needs to be looking for a horse doing the job she wants it for no project work to do.
These horses except the 14yo chestnut ( who I think is not draughty enough for what OP describes ) are just not doing the job she needs the horse for and are won’t be sound enough .
Sound enough there’s the thing Op might well find a nice horse who has for example hock arthritis who would hack and live out comfortably for years .
It’s a question of trying to find a way through all the conflicting pluses and minus .
Now then SLH that Fresian , get a grip I am going to intruct your sane friend to whollop you on the head with a wet haddock .
Keep looking .

chaps89

Visit site
HorseQuest ref 206868 Ad is a bit vague and he looks a bit weak behind but it's not a great photo

HorseQuest ref 202047 possibly a bit small but otherwise sounds good?

HorseQuest ref 206433 depends on the heart problem, if you're mostly back if 4 days a week it may not be an issue?

http://www.adhorse.co.uk/horseforsale_67919.html Doesn't say how big she is but in the 16hh-16.3hh category. Hasn't ever cantered and might be a bit too quiet but it's a Clyde :)

http://www.adhorse.co.uk/horseforsale_67130.html Depends whether you like Welsh!

http://www.adhorse.co.uk/horseforsale_67665.html Doesn't mention hacking

paddy555

Visit site
One thing that struck me about your list is that there's a whole list of metrics that you want. Instead of saying "I want a horse who is X years old and Y hands tall and Z colour", why not say, "I need a confidence giving horse who can make me feel safe without being a total donkey" - that way you leave yourself open to far more options.

this.

Also you say you are happily riding a 14.2 cob ATM. Do you really need a 18h horse? Height doesn't necessarily equal weight carrying. Years ago I worked with horses and we had several fells and dales. We put heavier men on the dales and they carried them all day. They were also fun, little b*uggers, naughty and everything else BUT they were safe. You could look at a younger tall Dales type, have it professionally broken so someone else with the facilities has got it hacking alone and behaving. It would last a long time, live out, cope with only 4 rides a week but be sparky enough to be fun and to continue it's training. Not a sec D (too many potential problems) but something along the Dales/cob type lines. It would also then easily fit into the trailer!

Ellzbellz97

Visit site
Phrases I would avoid:

• Needs one to one rider
  • Experienced home needed
  • Can be stubborn
  • Ideal bloke's horse (when they say this you know it's bad...)
  • Loves his job on the field
  • Will hunt all day
  • Can be stubborn
None of the horses linked sound suitable for you.

Totally agree! I never have a type or size in mind whenever I've been looking, never had an interest in Warmbloods but now I've ended up with a Belgian one who is perfect for me and gives me so much confidence :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Totally agree! I never have a type or size in mind whenever I've been looking, never had an interest in Warmbloods but now I've ended up with a Belgian one who is perfect for me and gives me so much confidence :)

Realistically you do need a size/type in mind when you are 15st though, I say this as someone who is also about that.

Antw23uk

Visit site
You need this one really ....... He ticks all the boxes other than he needs shoeing (I've tried BF, he's a whoose!) and I'm not sure i'd sell him for 3k although I am thinking of selling him!

44367721231_8c5e91f231.jpg

40167838912_b4ac21b557.jpg

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
You carry that well! I'd have said 2 stone lighter at least

I know, actually a bit more now. That's why when people say you can always tell when you are putting on weight because your clothes get tighter I've had to point out it's not always the case when I sit here in the size 14 trousers I've been wearing for years- when I was 2st + lighter (I didn't ride F at this weight obv). Also why I have been careful to tell anyone who I've ridden for what current weight actually is :p as it matters. It's a bit infuriating given the level of fitness/exercise!

Tarragon

Visit site
I would be wary of buying a small pony as a companion unless you are careful to match their management. You don't want to end up with having to keep them apart because one is always on a diet and the other needs feeding up! Then you end up with adding two more so you have a small companion for the small companion and a big companion for your horse ;)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I am guessing the dun has gone and now you are looking for a more suitable horse. I would suggest you join the facebook group 'Dodgy Dealers' and each time you see the perfect horse advertised in a dealers or trade yard (look for 'T' on the advert) go to the site and have a good search. Many dealers sell through so called private home (P) but you will be amazed what you find out if you try hard enough. Many dealers have various names or slightly differing names.

There will always be a reason, usually a sad or bad one, when a big good looking 'perfect' horse finds himself in a dealers yard. There are of course, good honest dealers out there that could source you a young rough Irish horse, but it will only be just broken, probably the day before you see it, and it will still be a decent price. You will then need a few more thousand to make it into your perfect horse.

An older hunter may well fit your bill but remember those brave bold hunters likely will have had a good previous life, used to stabling in the worst of weather, fit and kept mannerly. At 15 plus you will find one in your budget easily but it will have baggage and may not thrive without facilities. If you know people in the hunting world it would be worth asking if there is anything looking to slow down. That way there is more chance of finding a genuine owner looking to do the right thing by their old horse, rather than an owner who just dumps it for a few hundred quid at the end of its useful life for them.

You really don't need an 18h horse, a properly conformed horse of the right type will carry you without being a giant. Here is a couple of examples of the ideal type for someone with your remit. The rider is 6'1", look how the horse takes the leg up. You would be very surprised if I told you what it measures. One is a maxi cob, the other a big vanner type, but both have done dressage at local level, the black horse (17.1) has even won on a regular basis, only prelim and novice, both can jump a small track and both can cross country and pop small solid fences. Finding these weight carrying types is so hard, no one breeds them anymore, the current trend is small coloured cobs.

xdebmq.jpg

2cp96h1.jpg

Very best of luck in your search, take your time and as much relevant advice as you can to avoid another wrong one. Always remember if it looks too good to be true it will be !! Horses are meant to be fun after all.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Ok to clarify on the size of horse height wise.
I'm prepared to compromise on several things on my list, people have mad some excellent, valid points. However, I didn't, at any point, say I needed/wanted an 18hh..!!! Yes, I ride a 14.2 but I feel like an absolute plank on her. I'm not prepared to compromise the height of horse as I know what "I" need in order to feel comfortable and safe. I'm not trying to be petulant, I just am never comfortable on little horses, I feel seriously underhorsed and don't enjoy the experience at all.
SpringArising, thank you, the wording you have there makes more sense :)

Antw23uk, hes bloody lovely..!!!!

AA thank you for your input. It makes sense. I really am only looking for a 16.2 (ish) height horse so I don't know where the 18hh came from lol.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
This is the wanted ad I have posted.

Wanted:
16-17hh chunky type horse. (ID x, Clyde x, Shire x types)
For hacking, fun rides, low level jumping etc...just a straight forward fun leisure horse.
Gelding preferred but mare considered.
Must hack out alone without bother. (Nothing spooky, silly)
Must be ok with traffic.
Must live out.
8-15 years ideally
(Budget up to 3k)
Am in Shropshire but prepared to travel for the right horse.