New horse shopping criteria

gunnergundog

Visit site
This is being said nicely and with the best intentions but my advice would be to bide your time and use it to a) increase your budget and b) decrease your weight. Doing both of those will open up the choice of suitable horses available to you.

I would also add 'correct attitude' to your list of 'must haves'. You should go for the sort of horse that says 'yes, now what's the question?' Not the type that goes 'mmmm.............maybe if you make me......am not sure......are you going to give me the confidence to do it Mum?' I would forget youngsters and also challenging types....make it your challenge to improve the already perfect horse that you are going to buy! :) If you are only going to be riding four times a week, this is very important. You won't want something that comes out of the field roaring like a lion after a couple of days off!

Take your 'sane friend' (as I dubbed her on a previous thread) to as many viewings as possible and DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITHOUT HER APPROVAL and a good 5 stage vetting! Remember, it is the horse you need and not the horse you want......I think someone made this profound statement on one of your other threads.

Good luck, don't be impatient and enjoy the process.

Pc2003

Visit site
Definitely the right attitude/ willing nature.
10 years ago when I got rid of my horrible backwards thinking welshie I was desperate for something amenable and just a nice attitude to life. It makes this so much easier. Every question you ask, he will give you 100% every time. Yes he has a massive personality but having something that is genuine and willing makes a huge difference.
With your set up it sounds like you really need a non stressy laid back type

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
You lot are fab, I love the honesty here ❤
Ok so I'm going to spend some time losing weight, I need to do this anyway so horsey reasons are excellent motivation plus the less weight I carry the less the Fibro can bug me (I hope..!!). I've been riding my friend's 7 yr old 14.1/2 cob mare everywhere and she genuinely doesn't seem to have any trouble carrying me, doesn't even break a sweat..!!
I'm going to desperately try to add to my budget, though being realistic I doubt I can extend it by a huge amount.
I would absolutely LOVE another Clydesdale so may see what's about on the shorter side and I will open myself up to the idea of an older, proven horse.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
On horsequest there is a 13yr old comtois gelding 16h who looks lovely but does have cushings. He is 2,000.

Comtois are lovely but short in the leg. If I go for another draft horse then it would need to be a Clyde or Shire as I find they are a bit more versatile.
With that said, I've just watched his video and he's lovely so I've messaged them :)

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
On horsequest there is a 13yr old comtois gelding 16h who looks lovely but does have cushings. He is 2,000.

Prascend gets very expensive. I wouldn't touch someone else's Cushings horse with a bargepole, it's different when they are your own when they are diagnosed.

Have a look on Preloved, there were quite a few in Yorkshire on there a week or so ago, also look at DD. There are sometimes some gems in amongst the dross. In fact I've seen one, that, if we win the Lottery this week (so I can buy more land), I am having - you'll know which one i mean LSH but she is above your budget.:D

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I really don't like the first st all plus she's only for light hacking which is not what I'm looking for.
Second is nice but if not broken till 9 then he's not much more of a bet then an 8 year old would be?