New horse shopping criteria

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Harry Stoyles is based in Doncaster. Not everyone's cup of tea but honest in my personal buying experience. He's on Facebook and has a 12 yo registered ID gelding for £3 k would seem to be suitable.
Now associated and selling with Rebecca Carnell who tried to sell me a 16year old with a fake passport who was supposedly 6. As well as a huge amount of upset caused to others and her being forced off her rented yard in Sheffield due to dodgy dealings, I would 100% avoid this seller, especially as she gets a lot of the horses from another well known dodgy dealer in Ireland and is very proud of herself.

Chippers1

Visit site
Now associated and selling with Rebecca Carnell who tried to sell me a 16year old with a fake passport who was supposedly 6. As well as a huge amount of upset caused to others and her being forced off her rented yard in Sheffield due to dodgy dealings, I would 100% avoid this seller, especially as she gets a lot of the horses from another well known dodgy dealer in Ireland and is very proud of herself.

Both regularly come up on the dodgy dealer site on Facebook, i'd avoid like the plague!

Coblover63

Visit site
I tried to see a Blake McCusker horse. Booked an appointment late on a Friday afternoon for the Saturday morning but he sold it over the phone late Friday night. Apparently that happens a lot with his. I was not impressed.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Any thoughts on this guy?? I really like the sound of him :)
https://www.herefordequestrian.co.uk/classified-ads/show-ad/2496/mr-who-paddy/16hh-to-16-2hh/

I also now have the contact about Clydesdales so will be making calls tomorrow

He sounds suitable if he will hack alone, hunters don't always. His back end doesn't look too good in the pic but you would need to see him in person.

I have had 2 fabulous Clydesdales, , both as safe as houses, except when they weren't:oops:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
He looks like he was once a good stamp of a horse, but 'He has hunted many seasons in Ireland and is now looking for an easy lifestyle hacking, doing fun rides etc' to me means that he is no longer sound enough to hunt. His back end is weak and his stance is odd, sadly his best years are likely behind him.

chaps89

Visit site
It doesn't specifically mention hacking alone.
His back end conformation in particular looks a little odd but it's only 1 photo.
I suspect living out, hacking mostly and doing some fun rides and local show type stuff he would go for a good few years yet. Whilst I wouldn't normally suggest buying a problem, most horses aren't sound but keep going well with just sympathetic management and I think OPs set up might just suit him.
I'd be inclined to at least make a call and ask for more photos :)

indie1282

Visit site
How desperate are you to find a horse? Most horses that have been linked are not really suitable imo - I believe you have had a few horses that have been unsuitable?

I would keep an eye out but only enquire after something that REALLY ticks most of your boxes. One of my friends took almost a year to find her ' Unicorn ' but got a super mare in the end and is loving her!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
apart from not mentioning if he hacks alone, he looks knackered IMO, condition is a bit poor, what would he be like when fit and fed? he is in wales where horses seem to be cheaper ,thought that would be too far for you. if you are prepared to go that far you need to see 2 or 3 to make the journey worthwhile...

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Hi I'm in Shropshire so actually only about an hour from this horse lol.
I'll leave him where he is I think. I'm just browsing at the moment as I think I'll have more luck in a month or so with a bit more money (fingers crossed)

HappyHorses:)

Visit site

Summit

Visit site
Is he only 13?? Sorry OP, please no. Chill a bit. There is no rush. The right dobbin will trot into your life soon. You have most of HHO keeping an eye out for you 👍🏼

I think he looks quite nice. Jeez guys, You can’t assume his best years are behind him, he’s knackered, legs are shot etc etc all from one photo and perhaps a not well thought out ad. OP if you want to see a horse, go see it. If nothing else you’ll be getting experience :)

Glad I didn’t show the forum a picture of the horse I bought :oops:.

Last edited:

HappyHorses:)

Visit site
I think he looks quite nice. You can’t assume his best years are behind him

Im sure Paddy is lovely but I do not think he is the horse for the OP. Agree with a few other posters that, and it may just be a bad picture, but his hocks don't look great and as the OP has specified a weight carrier I would not think it would be an ideal match for either the OP or Paddy. He does also look a bit older than 13, maybe like me he just looks a little more mature than he really is 🙈

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Price aside. Would this be the type you are looking for?

Horsequest Advert: http://www.horsequest.co.uk/advertisment/207267

Not sure if that link will work!

I think hes over OP's budget but he sounds smashing, only thing youd need to clarify is if he hacks alone I've got one that couldn't cope with rs life and will now hack alone but was nappy when I first got him however with the help of a willing person on foot it only took a couple of months repetition, however he can be spooky but I think that's just him. However I've heard of someone with another ex rs horse that they've never been able to overcome the solo hacking with. I'd also like to know why they are selling him as he sounds perfect for their rs and they have been using him successfully, obviously it may be completely genuine such as they are closing down etc definitely worth a call. I like the way his advert is worded as well sounds like they've put a lot of time into it.

That MJL place came up a lot when I was looking for Clydesdales for the OP yesterday, I'm not sure what they are like but he sounds sweet.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
MJL don't always have the best reputation sadly, from having read the dodgy dealers sites. Which is a shame as they do seem to have some really really nice horses. It doesn't "have" to be that heavy in terms of breeding but at least the build of an Irish Draught. I just happen to absolutely love Clydesdales, my best horse ever was a Clyde. It doesn't matter how much I weigh, I always like the same type of horse.

Janet George has a nice mare for sale
Would be lovely I don't doubt but I expect it would be out of my price range.

I don't know why everyone seems to think I'm rushing?? I'm simply browsing ads to see what's around. Because of where I keep my horse I don't have the luxury of waiting around forever to buy a new horse (despite the fact I'm still paying field rent) as land is at a mega premium here.
I'm not sure what people think I'm hoping to get but I'm not after a world beater, show horse etc. It doesnt have to have perfect conformation as long as it does the job.