Newton Stud slurry death

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDIA1999

Visit site
OUTRAGEOUS. It seems that taking out an 8 page pull out in advertising buys you heavily biased reporting from H&H this month and zero fact checking.
1. The fire at Newton Stud was not an inferno. It was well attended by Devon & Somerset Fire Brigade who had it under control. Their news report on it publicly available. It also says that animals had been turned out into the lane. Do your homework H&H. 2. The barn fire occurred in a barn where horses and hay were stored together! 3. The dressage horse was turned out into a field that HAS a lagoon WITHIN it as can clearly be seen on google earth. Do your homework H&H. 4. If she was seen to panic why did no member of staff do anything about it? 5. The gate was not simply unsecured. The gate was open. It had been left open by a member of staff and it was not checked to be open or closed by the member of staff placing Die Callas in the field. 6. The lagoon was not filled with slurry but it was filled with abattoir meat sludge, abattoir meat washings, abattoir poultry sludge, abattoir poultry washings, dairy processing sludge. Thousands of tons. 7. The "panicking"
horse was not checked on for over 12 hours.

Last edited:

INDIA1999

Visit site
I saw this on Facebook, bit disappointed that the BD page took it down and implied she was mud slinging and unjustified.
I felt she was quite reasonable in what she said. It's a terrible tragedy for her - slurry disposal is a huge danger; I remember when I first loaned a horse we rented stables on a dairy farm and the muck heap was a case of tipping your barrow off the top in to the slurry below, I was often up there alone and the thought of falling genuinely terrified me
From what I've read it was not even a slurry lagoon but abattoir waste/meat/washings.

Rubydooby

New User
Visit site
Ah yes now you mention it I did know re. the meat products.
It seems no one has gone fully to court with them but taken settlements and signed NDAs
Unfortunately it is SO expensive to go to court if you are uninsured - over £100,000 so most people have no choice...

Reactions: TPO

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
But would a claim of the type to cover such a high value horse far exceed the small claims limit?

Quite possibly but I was just trying to let people know that "small claims" of up to ten thousand pounds are cheap and easy. Lots of people don't think the law is available to them when it is. And you can always take a claim for less than you feel you lost, which at least gets you some compensation and establishes the point.

INDIA1999

Visit site
But would a claim of the type to cover such a high value horse far exceed the small claims limit?
The small claims court limit is £10,000. I imagine this horse was worth considerably more than that. I think small claims is for straight forward stuff and I can only imagine that this was a complicated case too. The lady concerned said on her FB page it was due to be a high court trial.

Reactions: TPO

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
C
OUTRAGEOUS. It seems that taking out an 8 page pull out in advertising buys you heavily biased reporting from H&H this month and zero fact checking.
1. The fire at Newton Stud was not an inferno. It was well attended by Devon & Somerset Fire Brigade who had it under control. Their news report on it publicly available. It also says that animals had been turned out into the lane. Do your homework H&H. 2. The barn fire occurred in a barn where horses and hay were stored together! 3. The dressage horse was turned out into a field that HAS a lagoon WITHIN it as can clearly be seen on google earth. Do your homework H&H. 4. If she was seen to panic why did no member of staff do anything about it? 5. The gate was not simply unsecured. The gate was open. It had been left open by a member of staff and it was not checked to be open or closed by the member of staff placing Die Callas in the field. 6. The lagoon was not filled with slurry but it was filled with abattoir meat sludge, abattoir meat washings, abattoir poultry sludge, abattoir poultry washings, dairy processing sludge. Thousands of tons. 7. The "panicking"
horse was not checked on for over 12 hours.

Could you clarify what this response is in relation to? A hh article?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Interesting since whenever TP took those screenshots - the Newton Stud marker has been removed from googlemaps.
Maybe it’s there on my screenshot because I put Newton Stud in the search bar?

The screenshot is from earlier this afternoon - the time/date stamp can be seen on it. Though I don’t know how old the Google maps aerial shot is, though, is there a way to tell?

ETA Had a quick whizz through current H&H, it is the sport horse breeding special, but I didn’t see anything about Newton Stud? Maybe I missed it.

ETA2. Missed it. It’s a glossy advert insert. This double pager plus quite a bit more.

DC315BA5-1694-4753-B097-0CDFA846F243.jpeg

Last edited:
Visit site
Looking at all the previous posts it seems odd that the fire has never been mentioned - it seems like theres a lot to this that hasn't been included, its been terrible but theres been a real hate campaign for the stud. To not even mention that the horse was turned out in an emergency is a massive thing to leave out. Just awful for everyone, my heart goes out but I think theres more to it ...

INDIA1999

Visit site
I wish that I had known about the abattoir waste being spread on the fields before I sent my yearlings there. They both died.
View attachment 66640This looks like an inferno.. according to the fire report it burned for 3 days before it got under control... So sad. View attachment 66640View attachment 66641
View attachment 66640This looks like an inferno.. according to the fire report it burned for 3 days before it got under control... So sad. View attachment 66640View attachment 66641
Hello. Well done for finding those photographs. Did you see this one?

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Interesting since whenever TP took those screenshots - the Newton Stud marker has been removed from googlemaps.

It now seems to be labelled as "Elite Stallions", but you can still find the location by searching for "Newton Stud, near okehampton", and the coordinates of the "slurry pit" are 50.824861551710804, 50.824820887711184, -3.8689894501242823.

INDIA1999

Visit site
Hello HolyDaysandHolidays. Welcome to the Forum. The D&S report said that it was the centre of the triple roofed barn so the one below. So presumably the fire brigade took care of the FIRE and the stud took CARE of the HORSES? No?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 18.15.07.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 18.15.07.png
    276.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Slide1.jpeg
    Slide1.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 14

INDIA1999

Visit site
True. Thank goodness for the good work of Devon & Somerset Fire which should - presumably - have left the stud staff (and surely there must be a great many for hundreds of horses) to make sure all of those horses are safe?

fiveleafclover21

New User
Visit site
That fire looks terrifying, how lucky that they got all the horses out before anyone was hurt. I experienced a fire like that on a previous yard and it's just unbelievable how fast it can go up - there's no time to grab anything except the horses.

I've followed this on Facebook with sympathy for Jane, but am now a bit confused as there seems to be so much missing in her post compared to the H&H story. I've never seen Jane mention the fire, and now I know the circumstances it just seems like a tragic accident. From the pictures posted here, it does seem to be fenced off quite clearly from the rest of the land.
I'm not sure what to believe now, I'm finding Jane's posts misleading from this serious omission of fact - if she's not telling us this, what else isn't mentioned? I'm quite sure there was a piece years ago in H&H about Die Callas being retired so I thought this was common knowledge. According to H&H she said she was going to come back to dressage, but I can't recall her being mentioned in any of the press coverage as a potential team horse? I followed it all pretty closely as I had a friend with a horse in contention.

It seems that like with most things, you just cannot believe everything you read on Facebook.

INDIA1999

Visit site
That fire looks terrifying, how lucky that they got all the horses out before anyone was hurt. I experienced a fire like that on a previous yard and it's just unbelievable how fast it can go up - there's no time to grab anything except the horses.

I've followed this on Facebook with sympathy for Jane, but am now a bit confused as there seems to be so much missing in her post compared to the H&H story. I've never seen Jane mention the fire, and now I know the circumstances it just seems like a tragic accident. From the pictures posted here, it does seem to be fenced off quite clearly from the rest of the land.
I'm not sure what to believe now, I'm finding Jane's posts misleading from this serious omission of fact - if she's not telling us this, what else isn't mentioned? I'm quite sure there was a piece years ago in H&H about Die Callas being retired so I thought this was common knowledge. According to H&H she said she was going to come back to dressage, but I can't recall her being mentioned in any of the press coverage as a potential team horse? I followed it all pretty closely as I had a friend with a horse in contention.

It seems that like with most things, you just cannot believe everything you read on Facebook.
It is certain

Blackhathorse

Visit site
I'm a bit taken back too tbh. Why has the fire never been mentioned? This story has been running for ages and its been shared all over.... It's obviously a tragic terrible accident, fire and horses don't mix.. But why all the hate? I've just looked it up facebook - its shocking...

Status
Not open for further replies.