Nicola Wilson Update

TheMule

Visit site
Again a vague recollection that was the compromise made by Exo to get them back in use. Until then there was some talk of fence judges all having one?

This is all a long time ago and pretty academic, you must be one of a very small number of people who still have one, they haven't been sold for donkeys years.

I tried one on one in Derby House once and decided that the sheer weight of it would make me more likely to fall off of I got unbalanced.

I very rarely see anyone else in one! They are heavier, it's not unbalancing, but I do generally wear my Racesafe on the babies as I do think I am a bit more likely to sit an acrobatic. I wouldn’t come to a decent sized fence without the Exo on though!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would like to see a redesign with lighter weight materials that are available now, perhaps with an incorporated air bag even. There's a project for someone!

TPO

Visit site
I remember all the threads back in thr xay with Kerrilli and Co. I didn't know that they'd been reinstated.

Did woof wear not gift the design/patent to the RDA?

Wishfilly

Visit site
Im sure Im not the only one who is extremely worried about Nicola, I appreciate that the family has more to think about than letting us know whats going on but I also think that if there was some really positive news we would know by now. I have everything very firmly crossed. Im not sure we should be discussing the merits of various safety measures on this thread? We all have our own ideas of what works and what doesnt and we all know that every time we go near a horse we are putting ourselves at risk to a greater or lesser degree, maybe another thread is needed for this particular discussion!!

I think, given the circumstances, this is a positive update. I'm sure they will let us know when something changes, e.g. she leaves ICU, but if she has spinal fractures and other injuries, that may not be for a little while.

I'm sure the family have a lot on their mind, and updating people to say "nothing has changed" is probably not at the top of their list.

MagicMelon

Visit site
It was a horrific fall and she was rolled over by JL Dublin. I suspect she has abdominal crush injuries which would keep her in ITU for a couple of weeks. It is very good to hear she did not have a head injury (she was out cold after the fall) and that she is not ventilated. Hopefully she will recover well from all the trauma but I suspect we will not see her competing for quite a few months. I personally think if she had been wearing an air jacket she would not have sustained as many injuries as she did. Emily King had an almost identical horse fall but was wearing an air jacket which very obviously protected her from injury. I suspect air jackets might soon become mandatory as body protectors did in the past.

I dont see how some air can really help if you're rolled over by a horse - the weight of it is still fully on you even if you have a bit of air in between you and it. Personally I dont own an air jacket as Id always worry it went off accidentally (as Ive seen happen half way round a xc) or that I cant roll out of the way as easily. I really hope they dont make them mandatory, its rider choice and Im still on the fence about how good or otherwise they can be in these situations.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I dont see how some air can really help if you're rolled over by a horse - the weight of it is still fully on you even if you have a bit of air in between you and it.

It disperses point pressure and it disperses the total weight down the sides instead of just where the horse lands on you. It is also initially so full of air and tight with it that it acts, in a limited fashion, in the same way as an exo cage.

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
A bit off topic but since it's been mentioned....
I used to run a local saddlery and we used to 'road-rest' new products on our own horses and liveries (with their permission) so we could advise our customers appropriately as regards to value for money, effectiveness etc.
Was pretty dubious when we received our first delivery of the Exocage - how the hell did you ride in it - it looked like hell! But was suprised by how easy it was to wear (all the weight was carried on your hips) and you had a suprisingly free range of movement in it. It was introduced (as my memory serves me) after a particulary horrific series of fatal rotational falls eventing and was popular with people who had had previous crush injuries from similar falls. I was a bit sad when all the controversy surrounding it kicked off as it did come with 2 keys to unlock it very well identified on the outside of the product.
Obviously it wouldn't suit everyone but it seems a shame that a potentially life-saving piece of kit has been abandoned.
I'd definately consider wearing one if having to get on something 'dodgy'
Also air-jackets are brilliant but not especially nice when they inflate and can scare your horse a bit when they go off and at the end of the day will only ameliorate to some extent any life-threatening crush injuries.
We must be mad to keep throwing ourselves into such risky activities - long may it continue! One of the few sports that men and woman compete on equal terms.

Bob notacob

Visit site
Sadly no piece of kit is going to keep you safe , You may wear the best jacket or exo in the world but the horse then uses you as a lawn dart . The true secret towards safety is training .Yes ,ultimately even the best can crash but the remaining 99.9% of accidents involve Poor courses ,horses and riders. Include myself in this category. My crash and burn, well its embarrassing. My last logical thought before committing to a line of fences was "where did this weather come from, someone could get hurt" and then a month in intensive care. Should have listened to my own advice!

cauda equina

Visit site
Riders who are going to do dangerous stuff are more likely to choose to wear an air jacket? Especially 7 years ago, when they were more likely to be worn by eventers on a cross country than leisure riders.
I don't think frangible pins were common 7 years ago either; you would hope that with safer fence design and fewer rotational falls the riders' safety equipment is less likely to be tested to the limit

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oh balls :(. All the best, Nicola.

An update on Nicola, she is still in the icu at Southmead Hospital in Bristol following her fall from JL Dublin at Badminton Horse Trials on Saturday 7th May.

Nic is still in intensive care, and is expected to remain there for the next week to ten days, before being moved to a spinal unit closer to home. She remains comfortable and in good spirits.

Dubs is happy and content, and is enjoying the sunshine and the spring grass.

Nic, Alastair and Mary would like to thank everyone at Southmead Hospital for the outstanding care and attention she is getting from the expert team there. They would also like to say how grateful they are for all of the messages of support they have had.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Copied and pasted from Nicola's FB page
Nicola Wilson Eventing
20 m ·

Today Nicola was moved into the spinal cord rehabilitation unit at the James Cook hospital. We would like to thank everyone who has been so kind on the journey so far. The transfer team were a lovely crew who called in at our home to visit the horses on their way back to Bristol , Nic obviously had a bit of horse chat in the ambulance. Dublin has his photo taken with the ambulance, which he loved !!!

1.2K1.2K

67 comments
34 shares

Surbie

Visit site
BE have done a longer update. There is sensation and movement returning to her upper and lower limbs but going to be a lengthy recovery

I didn't realise she had lost sensation. Must have been hugely frightening. Keeping fingers crossed for her recovery, and for Caroline March who also had a horrible fall at Burnham.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This upbeat post by Pippa Funnell has been shared by Badminton Horse Trials :).

I just wanted to share these pictures with everyone as I know so many people have been so concerned about dearest Nic (Nicola Wilson Eventing) It was so wonderful to take time out from my training duties at Bramham International Horse Trials to visit Nic and Al along with William FP, Dickie Waygood and Liz Brown.
What an inspiration she is, so incredibly cheery and positive and in such good form making very good progress. Those Doctors and nurses are going to struggle to hold her back.

https://www.facebook.com/2704605137...yTCbMkz8um3xwGmDA1BRYwDtMZ3WUYkZWJ3HT7n9i6Hl/