Nullarbor

gloster_image

Visit site
Apricotfox - Having re read this thread just now i must say your reply is one that is the most sensible. A way of looking at this whole tragedy that I bypassed and in future will most certainly adopt. I got very angry at the "I blame Clayton" comment as he must be devastated and nobody knows the facts and everybody makes mistakes. However you are so right - we should all learn from this and learn to always be on the ball when we are riding.
Also the comments about "you can't comment unless you've ridden at that level" are most definately ridiculous I have said that at the beginning - but lifeslemons wasnt that exactly what you were implying to me earlier on in the thread? Kettle...black.... (and yes i still would pull amy off her horse if i were to see her!! how incredibly strange that you can remember my exact quote over a year after it was said AND when i have changed my username and account since? Are you a stalker? It would be quite flattering to have a stalker!).

I will finish with the sentiments i have finished every post with and what nobody could disagree with in this world....
RIP Nullarbor...a talented horse lost in a tragic circumstance. My heart goes out to his groom, rider and connections.

lifeslemons

www.eventingworldwide.com
I think you have got me mixed up with someone else - I havent said anywhere in this post that you must be of a certain experience to comment. And I'm afraid you don't have a stalker, I have a good memory I remember that comment particularly well because it was one of the most hilarous and ridiculous comments I've ever read

[ QUOTE ]
Well said!!! We all make mistakes and to pay for it with the life of your horse who he has a massive partnership with is tragic.
RIP for an amaaaazing horse just tragic
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Some could argue that
-Amy made a mistake
-It was tragic that the horse lost its life
-Particularly after the partnership they had formed too.

BTY, Amy's over in this country in about a month. You're more than welcome to stay at mine, which is next door to where she will be based, and drag her off her horse ....
wink.gif

gloster_image

Visit site
Why thank you i would take you up on that but i unfortunately will be busy working for someone who is a true horseman unlike miss tryon.
smirk.gif

gloster_image

Visit site
Dorset and gloucestershire (assuming lifeslemons location is correct)? Then again you're speaking to the girl that aimed for exeter from hampshire and ended up in oxford
smirk.gif

You coming to brack today Kat?

gloster_image

Visit site
shocked.gif
mad.gif
ooo.gif
no caterers???? Well thats it i wont be going then
tongue.gif
smirk.gif

On a more seirous note - yes from the soudns of things it does sound like a heartattack but we'll have to wait and see, very sad indeed.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The whole point is, in your opinion Amy Tyron killed her horse, and in MdM's opinion Clayton's riding contributed/caused Nullarbor's death.

Your opinion is not fact, it is something you believe; others would have argued that it was in bad taste to criticse AT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree.

After extensive investigation, AT got banned from competition (albeit for a ridiculousy short period) for the role she played in Le Samurai's death.

That is FACT, not opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still not quite "FACT." One of the reasons her punishment was reduced was several people didn't believe she was blame-worthy.

It's rather like saying that a murder in jail is guilty... not always true! Only the opinion of 11 lay people on a jury put them there, and plenty miscarriages of justice can happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you are missing my point.

Why are these comparisons being made?

AT's actions were videoed and witnessed - there is no comparison whatsoever with a murder case.
And there is no comparison between AT and CF because there is no anecdotal or video evidence for people to base there opinions on. It's pure speculation atm.

There is a huge difference between giving an opinion based on what you have seen, and declaring someone 'guilty' based on speculation.

Some people need to get over themselves, stop pointing the finger, and remember that a horse has tragically lost it's life.

Trial by forum, without a shred of evidence.
mad.gif

Mavis

Visit site
I should have made my post clearer. I heard, this morning, from the owner of LF's ride, who is out there with them, that they felt that he suffered a heart attack. Which is sufficient anecdotal evidence for me.

I would be ashamed if I were one of the people turning the death of a horse into a witch hunt.

hayley05

New User
Visit site
I can't believe some of the simple minded idiots who write in this forum! I know Clayton, I knew Nullarbor (neville), I have watched Clayton working WITH his horses for endless hours, the partnership Clayton has with all of his horses is second to none, he is the greatest horseman around, and Nev was one of the most talented, genuine horses ever born. The horse sadly slipped, it was a freak accident, and when he fell at the angle he did, he broke his neck, it was an accident pure and simple, no rider error, no horse error, he just lost his footing. Clayton and the whole team are in pieces, you people don't help! If you knew Clayton you would know he would never put his horses at risk, they are his life, and barring Cinders and little Ellie, his whole world, so get a life and grow up, because those writing such horrible things obviously do not know the man, the familly, the yard or anything about them, you are just awful, sickening gossips! My love goes out to them all at such a terrible time.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I should have made my post clearer. I heard, this morning, from the owner of LF's ride, who is out there with them, that they felt that he suffered a heart attack. Which is sufficient anecdotal evidence for me.

I would be ashamed if I were one of the people turning the death of a horse into a witch hunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nooo Ethel, your info is very very interesting, given how this thread has developed.
smile.gif

I was referring to people who immediately starting pointing the finger, before the poor horse was even cold, and before any real info had come through.
frown.gif

Rachel_M

Visit site
Last man standing.

I have to agree with you about how senseless some peoples replies have been to this situation, but I wouldn't tar this entire forum as idiots on the basis of this.

We're all reeling at the volley of fatalities in the sport at the moment, especially when the sport is in the limelight for being dangerous, and riders are being put in the spot light for their riding- As I truly believe they should.

In this case, however, I couldn't say it is anything other than a gut wrenching fluke of a horrendous accident. One, I am sure, that Clayton will have scarred in his memory for a long time.

RIP Nullarbor.
frown.gif

Mithras

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I HAVE to disagree about this, there are several reasons why horses get "reminders" on the neck AND behind the saddle. I have always been taught that if your horse has jumped a fence or a couple of fences "sticky" to give them a couple of smacks to sharpen them up. I remember coming out of the start box one year and climbing over the first fence of a novice track, so my horse got a couple of smacks, just like C did to N at Badminton, and after that he had woken up and got on with it.

C obviously felt that after the way N had jumped the Colt pond, he needed sharpening up as there was a hefty ditch coming. It is also known his horse can be ditchy. And of course, they already have a partnership, he has ridden this horse right through from PN. Check out his results

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but it obviously didn't work. It didn't help the horse concentrate or sharpen him up, he did quite a dirty stop at the ditch and deposited his rider. And they were two hefty smacks. More reassuring encouragement might have been more effective. The horse may have thought he was being punished for trying hard at the last jump. Whatever, it certainly didn't work. Whats wrong with pushing the horse on with your legs and your seat anyway? Or giving a smaller tap if you must use the stick, rather than a punishment like tap? And I hate two smacks anyway. The message has already got through with one - whats the need for another one?

Maybe there was something wrong with that horse then and he wasn't giving CF the same feeling he was used to and thats why he did the two smacks. Maybe thats why he got in the situation where he fell tragically at Saumar. I guess only a post mortem will tell. I know CF's reputation and I was honestly surprised at the way he rode at Badminton.

I did think though that if a horse has a heart attack it can take quite a long time to die, like Lucinda Prior Palmer's horse in the prize giving at Badminton years ago.

gloster_image

Visit site
Sorry to sound condesending but i think clayton knows nullabor better than yourself - he would know how to ride it! When he smacked him at badders he obviously felt he needed to

becca77

New User
Visit site
I think there is a lot of emotion over these posts so people have tended to over-react, perhaps unnecessarily.

Those who say that Clayton wasn't attached to Neville, or for that matter any of his horses- you couldn't be more wrong. Having worked for the Freddos for a year I have seen first hand just how highly they regard their horses- not just as tools for winning, in fact completely the opposite. Clayton has has Neville since he was young, fresh from the Irish sales, and has put so much work into him, that for people to say that he doesn't care is just so wrong.

As for "blaming" people, it sounds from descriptions of the fall that OK, maybe the approach wasn't perfect, but how often is it that one is perfect 100% of the time? I'd challenge anyone here to ride as well as Clayton. If it was in fact a freak accident that was down to chance, then people should not be so insensitive as to to distribute blame so flippantly at such an emotional time.

RIP Neville, he was amazing- a misunderstood personality but ferociously talented and lovely to ride. And if they're reading this, my love to Clayton, Cinda and Ellie. xxx

elliebean

Visit site
I agree.

Similarly, how is a horse to differentiate between a reassuring tap and any other sort? And surely, as it is incorrect to do so, he would never have been smacked as a punishment, only in a way to wake the horse up and ensure that it is concentrating

becca77

New User
Visit site
Also, I forgot to say, if Clayton felt the need to give Neville a reminder at Badminton, who are we to judge him? He knows the horse inside out and obviously thought it was the best thing to do at the time. Nev's feet always had a tendency to break, so I don't think the incident at Badminton can be related to anything that happened at Saumur as clever shoeing worked wonders for him in the past and probably sorted him out for Saumur!