Odd horse names

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Inspired by another thread where we started talking about horse names, what odd ones have you known?

My spotted horse is called Ithon Patch, not a patch on him, only spots.

I've had a warmblood bred on the continent called Zipper Lane and another called Vulgaeus Majistralis - commentators loved that one!

Any others?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Way back when I used to work for a man called Brian Lear, who on one of his trips to Ireland while I was working for him bought a horse that he proclaimed was the best horse he had ever bought, and that he thought he'd only had the money to buy him because it was pouring with rain when he was in the outside display ring. When the lorry arrived a week later we unloaded the first three horses, wondering which one was the special purchase and then the last horse he stood in the yard with just looking over. It was the most scruffy, hairy sports horse I had ever seen. Me and the other groom look sideways at each other when he told us that this was the special one and she said something along the lines of "but it looks like a bob the cob". Over the next few weeks the name bob stuck and Bob's sire was a horse called 'Le One'. So Brian ended up registering him as 'Bob le Cob'

And sure enough he was a pretty handy show jumper too ?

chaps89

Visit site
My mares passport name is Son Sweet Pea.
I presume there is a gelding out there with Daughter Primrose or similar as their passport name ?
We had a 'Killer' at one of the RS I worked at for a while too

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I have yet to hear my horses show name pronounced correctly over the commentary. It’s not even that difficult! Block Fen Tick Tock.
I’ve had black fen, or tick tack. Ugh ?

Visit site
We've had a few good ones in the yard. We had a Killer who was the nicest, sweetest horse you could ever wish for!

Named At Dinner who we called Lobster in the box.

The Starboard Bow who we called Skipper.

There was one down south who managed to run twice before the BHA realised and made them change the name - Bonkyl Knight.

Then there was Hoof Hearted who was quite successful!

Flicker

Visit site
We've had a few good ones in the yard. We had a Killer who was the nicest, sweetest horse you could ever wish for!

Named At Dinner who we called Lobster in the box.

The Starboard Bow who we called Skipper.

There was one down south who managed to run twice before the BHA realised and made them change the name - Bonkyl Knight.

Then there was Hoof Hearted who was quite successful!

Bonkyl Knight is hilarious!!

Sorry but if I had The Starboard Bow in my stable, his yard name would have to be Klingon!

hellfire

Visit site
my mini Shetland Angus is actually Mignon Quaestar. Just weird. Better than hermits lucky dip as his grand sire was named! My others are not so bad. Broadspring minstrel, Sparky boy and Willits wartime warrior.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I had a horse (QH) on loan one summer when I was a kid and his name was "No No" because they kept saying that to him as a youngster (he was 5 when I had him). He was a good horse though.

Met an American with a horse named Würfel fairly recently. Which translates from German to "cube"

My Spanish horse has the name Poniente which means a wind from the West (IIRC), but "ente" is duck in German so we have called him Pony-duck before.