Ok, here it is.... seriously, why do people want to own thoroughbreds...

Waffles

Visit site
I mean ordinary folk, not people that go to the real Badminton and all that, or racing, just people who do a bit of hacking, and the odd local show - why? Serious replies or funny ones - no nastiness, please.

Barney860

Visit site
Because if it wasnt for these folk to take on ex-racers a lot would end being PTS or going into the meat chain??

If the said people know what to expect and how to look after a TB, I dont see the problem. There are many people who see them as a 'cheap' option however the maintenance of one is often quite the opposite..

There's nothing wrong with TB being used as leisure horse, they too enjoy the love and attention they can get, I dont think there is any horse you could class as specifically a sport horse just to be used by the professionals.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Cos I want to look good on my horses!

No seriously, I love them - so much so that I have two ex-racers. I like the challenge of reschooling them. They are so willing and try so hard to please. I love their little quirks and the sense of achievement when they show some nice school work after their racing career is unbeatable. You can't get bored with a TB. Just when you think all is quiet, they do something to wake you up again. They are generally great for hacking out ( I say generally as my mare has decided that hacking isn't for her at the moment!) and they are very affectionate horses - they love attention.

NicoleS_007

Visit site
A horse is a horse at the end of the day!! You could also ask; Why do people want cobs, why do people want a coloured, why do people want a friesian, lippizaner, etc etc etc Why shouldnt an average person own a tb if thats what they want? I used to have one and know loads of people with them, some compete and some are just pets, is that wrong? I really dont understand as to why a Tb should be set apart from any other breed! You still have people who see "TB" on an advert and immediately think it should be worth less than lets say an ISH, if its a good horse why should it matter as to weather its a Tb, Wb or ISH etc ...

bumblelion

Visit site
Because: they aim to please, can turn their hoof to most things, affectionate, great looking, not generally bargy or stubborn in a way they take the p*ss, form strong bonds with owner/handler and give them so much trust, intelligent, willing to learn, want to work!!
Iv got an exracer and he's my horse of a lifetime, yeah he's quirky but I'd be bored with a push button horse and it's such an achievement seeing the bond we've now got, how much more trusting he is and we have so much fun!!

X

xspiralx

Because they are excellent horses.

They are incredibly athletic, they can do any job, and do it well - they are intelligent, they try hard, they're sweet and kind.

There is nothing like going for a good gallop on a thoroughbred.

All horses are individuals so they're not all wonderful of course, but you can't go wrong with a good tb.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
A horse is a horse at the end of the day!! You could also ask;Why do people want cobs, why do people want a coloured, why do people want a friesian, lippizaner, etc etc etc Why shouldnt an average person own a tb if thats what they want? I used to have one and know loads of people with them, some compete and some are just pets, is that wrong? I really dont understand as to why a Tb should be set apart from any other breed! You still have people who see "TB" on an advert and immediately think it should be worth less than lets say an ISH, if its a good horse why should it matter as to weather its a Tb, Wb or ISH etc ...

:D :D :D
S :D

sarah23

Visit site
ponyclub3.jpg

Because when the kids pony is a s*** and keeps dropping the child the fab TB has to step in
You can't really tell from this photo my my child is only 10yrs and his legs only reach down to the end of the saddle flaps.

Last edited:

Maddie2412

Visit site
because they go really fast all the time, are super high maintenence, and lame more often than not but i love themmmmmmmm :) wouldnt trade my 2 racey boys for miners frolic or minstral hjoris!! xx

Jesstickle

Visit site
Well let me ask you a question OP...

Why wouldn't an average person want to own TB?

If you can give me a reason then I'll give you at least 20 why they are great.

Dancing Queen

Visit site
because they are tired of life??

joking!

i love all breeds of horse - each horse regardless of breed are individuals and just like humans some are normal, some are loopy and some are just plain freaks, but they are loveable in their own way.

paddi22

Visit site
i was anti-tb till i ended up with one, and now i wouldn't swap him for the world!

he is just so complex, and smart and funny, never boring. Bonds way more intensely than other types (i had a lovely horse for over 20 years and never felt the bond i have with my new guy after 5 months - there is nothing like it, he just absolutely adores me and looks after me, in a way i didn't think horses could). He has beautiful floaty paces.To gallop him is the greatest thing i've ever experienced. It's like driving a top class car at high speeds, you can just feel the centuries of breeding to make him fast and strong.

I have other friends who have absolutely lovely, dependable, gorgeous hassle-free horses, but now i would be bored rigid with horses like them.

it sounds really cheesy but my lovely tb (who was going for meat), has transformed me as a rider and a person, he has made me be stronger and braver than i thought i could be. He has made me aware of every movement and reaction i have, so riding him almost becomes this zen-like exercise, where i have to be aware of every breath i take and every bit of tension i have, because he picks it up.

He is a challenge, a mystery, a frustration and the most beautiful thing i will ever have the privilege of owning. As an anti-tb fan originally, i honestly can't see me ever getting anything else!

paddi22

Visit site
TB owners live on similar plain as Parrelli followers...they love to own a horse...but rarely get to ride it.

that's the biggest load of rubbish ever! I don't know one tb owner whose greatest pleasure isn't letting them rip full blast in a field!

OneInAMillion

Visit site
Because they are athletic, nimble, clever, fast and fun. :)

He can be incredibly spooky yet so rideable, has poncy paces to please the dressage judges too.

He can be so incredibly lazy for a breed considered highly-strung

I could go on :)

mulledwhine

Visit site
I always said never to a tb , too highly strung and have issues.

About 17 years ago I was given one, lost him last year.

And now I love them for being weird and highly strung lol

They are a horse that says 'why' and ' what is in it for me?'

I love them

Mrs B

Visit site
I mean ordinary folk, not people that go to the real Badminton and all that, or racing, just people who do a bit of hacking, and the odd local show - why? Serious replies or funny ones - no nastiness, please.

Well, you're an optimist, I'll give you that...:D