Ok, here it is.... seriously, why do people want to own thoroughbreds...

china

Visit site
because they look like this!! :-D
Photo0164.jpg

Photo0166.jpg

Spyda

Visit site
I mean ordinary folk, not people that go to the real Badminton and all that, or racing, just people who do a bit of hacking, and the odd local show - why? Serious replies or funny ones - no nastiness, please.

Weird question :confused:

Horses are individuals and should be judged as such - not judged by 'breed' steriotype. That's like equine racism :rolleyes:

OP: So why wouldn't you keep a TB, then? And for all the reasons you say you wouldn't (or, think you wouldn't) I could probably prove one of my full TBs would have suited you down to the ground just as well as a horse that wasn't TB! Don't judge all TB's by an old fashioned stereotype. Mine live out 24/7/365, are good doers, excellent hacks, have wonderful temperaments and look nice with good conformation. Dunno why I wouldn't want one LOL.

Spyda

Visit site
I've owned both, and I must say I now prefer the safety of my cob. No more cantering sideways up the road.

NOT ALL TB'S CANTER SIDEWAYS UP THE ROAD!!!! NO HORSE NEEDS TO BE DOING THAT. Sounds as if the horse wasn't correctly 'started' or needs a better rider and/or reschooling. Not the horse's fault, though! My first pony, a welsh section B bought from a riding school when she was 12 years old, used to do that almost all of the time. And no TB anywhere in her bloodline! :/

Personally I prefer the lightness of response in handling and riding a horse with a full or high percentage of TB or Arab in it.

BigRed

Visit site
My last horse was a full TB, she had been in training but never raced, she was polite but not boring. Delightful to look after. Tough and always sounds. Forward thinking and willing to have a go at anything.

My new WB is a very difficult, backard thinking dimwit. I would think long and hard before having another WB.

marley and danni

Visit site
i have one had him 7 months hes the horse of a lifetime coiuldnt give him up hes beautiful!! Fast! and never puts a foot wrong!

and they are amazing animal ... in my opinion they are the most glamerous, loyal, respectful horse i have met!

:)

Montys_Mum

Visit site
I love my TB cause i cant stand having a 'perfect' boring horse that has no quirks to love about them :). Mine has been in training but never raced and is no always like the sterotype, hes the biggest donkey at times unless you ask for a gallop out of him :p, acts like a baby(spooky at leaves):rolleyes:, does have rubbish sensitive feet:eek:. But he is fun, has the greatest personality and taught me alot about first aid :rolleyes: (most accident prone horse!)

wouldnt change him for the world!
And of course you cant say no to his sweet face :p
313539_189164821154434_171247059612877_411232_2060825_n.jpg

deicinmerlyn

Visit site
I mean ordinary folk, not people that go to the real Badminton and all that, or racing, just people who do a bit of hacking, and the odd local show - why? Serious replies or funny ones - no nastiness, please.

What an odd question!

Why would anyone want to own any horse? They are all individuals. I AM an ordinary person! I have a well bred full TB who won a lot of races and he is the kindest, toughest horse who is sensible and mannerly.

It isn't about the horse anyway it's more about the numpty people who end up with them which give them a bad name.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Horses/ponies/dogs etc - you have the type you have (usually) because you LIKE that type.
Has nothing usually to do with anything else.

All breeds have their lovers & detracors & it would be sad if we all confirmed to a std stereotype - thats what makes the world go round - innit?

End of :)

Firewell

Visit site
No idea! They can be a right royal pain in the bum :p.

I love them because they are beautiful, classy, athletic, sensitive, light, forward, brave, genuine, big characters, intelligent, proud and they would literally cut their hearts out and lay it at your feet if they thought it would make you happy.

They *can* be high-maintenance and have over active imaginations but hey life would be boring otherwise :p

Here's my over-bred english racing TB friend (who has good feet incidentally!), he has the biggest character of any horse I have ever met and is a fun loving clown:-

306727_10150353307775210_503675209_9898160_1993953135_n.jpg

315833_10150337136295210_503675209_9735159_7088833_n.jpg

and heres my last racing bred, gold hearted TB:-

n503675209_822977_4449.jpg

Oh and they are CHEAP :p :D

I love ALL breeds of horses but there is a reason I keep ending up with TB's (did I mention they were cheap? :p).

TwoVeterans

Visit site
I am a happy hacker, and we don't compete. I love my TB because she is affectionate, forward going, very willing to please, well mannered, keeps me on my toes whilst out hacking, she is a good doer and TBs are so beautiful.

Achinghips

Visit site
Because they are horses.

Why would people want to own horses? If you can answer that then you've answered why people want to own tbs/cobs/natives/coloureds/wbs etc if you are nuts enough to think that spending all your money on a big smelly eating/pooping machine is a good idea then there will be a type of big smelly eating/pooping machine to suit your particular brand of mental illness!

haha - brilliant (she retorts, while rocking in the corner, hugging herself and laughing manically)

Mince Pie

Visit site
that's the biggest load of rubbish ever! I don't know one tb owner whose greatest pleasure isn't letting them rip full blast in a field!
I think she was referring to the 'always injured' stereotype!

I love my TB, she's affectionate, eager to please and a dream to ride and handle.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Because I have never know such an honest breed - my little lad is almost bomb proof - will try his heart and sole out for you - can never get enough love from you or give it back - will stand for hours having his held held and stroked and talked too.

Gallops to you from where ever he is in the field without even being called - neighs at you everytime you arrrive at the yard, stable, field.

Wears his heart on his sleeve when one of his cuts "balloons" up and looks proper misreable

Will go anywhere and try anything - will bronc for joy at a gallop but will then slow down if he thinks your about to come off ..

and is stunning ! (but then all of my horses are stunning to me)

:)

ABC

Visit site
Because IMO every other breed is boring in comparison :p except maybe TB x's ;) :D

In all seriousness, there is absolutely NOTHING like a TB. As a few people have already said, the bond created is just so intense.
Yes they have there bad points, if you're going to stereotype, BUT for each bad point I reckon they'll be at least 25 good points :D

The only reason I can think not to get a TB is the completely injustifiable stereotypes of them, which means people percieve them as "crazy", "always injured" etc etc

But each to there own... ;)

AndiK

Visit site
I LURVE my TB :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ex racer and he has such a BIG heart and if I had not had him he was going to the knackers :(

Best decision I ever made, he is 19 going on 3 and there is never a dull moment :eek:

DSCF1017a.jpg

Just like beagles, I LURVE beagies :D :D :D :D :D They are not everyone's cup of tea and they have a reputation of being difficult to train but I have three and they are all as good as gold

3troubles.jpg

Achinghips

Visit site
Beautiful snowy pics:)

In my experience, I had a cob. He bolted, had no brakes, bucked, reared, bit and was a plod (and yes, I did have hime vetted, teeth, back etc). My anglo arab was an absolute angel, but again no brakes. My current Tb is the most honest, genuine, predicatable horse under saddle I have ever had - and also the most beautiful, self injurous twonk though:D No horse is perfect.

OakeyT

Visit site
because they like to be on first name term with their vet:)

Unless they are owned by one and then they cannot be broken!! I've had more time off with injuries than him and he has amazing feet- once went 12 weeks between shoeing :)-p)and hadn't even lost a nail!!

Love them to bits, you've not galloped till you've galloped a TB!

Tammytoo

Visit site
Because once you've had one you'll never want anything else! They are loyal, intelligent, beautiful, brave and will try till they drop. They are also sensitive and willing and respond accordingly. I've had 6 in my time, all mares, (2 chestnut) and loved them all.

I tried an arab once - big mistake!

D66

Visit site
A TB is just a cob on stilts.;) If you own a TB you get to buy cool gadgets like clippers and 5 point breast plates which you never have to do if you only own a cob. Cob owners have to buy boring stuff like mane detangler and pig oil.:eek:
AndiK, I like your beagles too.

vickyb

Visit site
I used to have a brill job in a private yard where one person owned loads of lovely horses but rarely rode himself. Most of them were TB's and none of them had ever raced. Why is there the assumption that just because it's a TB it must have been/intended to be, for racing? Anyway, my favourite TB was not much liked by the boss so I got to do everything with him. We hunted, evented, showjumped, hunter trailled, showed, and even, when no one was looking, did a few gymkhana events. He was never happier than when hanging out with a group of horsey mates at a show having a lick of ice cream and dozing in the sun. He was a quick, hot ride, but good on the ground and never sick or sorry. Another TB I shared with a friend. He WAS out of racing. In September one year he was last in a hurdle race at Ayr - two weeks later I was hunting him. He was rather bemused, but well behaved.
Also, am I the only person who goes (jump - don't like flat) racing and sizes up all the horses in the paddock for their showing/riding potential? So many of them are just SO scrumptious!

AndiK

Visit site
A TB is just a cob on stilts.;) If you own a TB you get to buy cool gadgets like clippers and 5 point breast plates which you never have to do if you only own a cob. Cob owners have to buy boring stuff like mane detangler and pig oil.:eek:
AndiK, I like your beagles too.

LOL :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Not to mention all the lotions and potions!!! ;)

AND my horse has more rugs than any other horse in a 10 mile radius :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Erzie

Visit site
In France, TB have an horrible reputation! (as bad as anglo arab :D )

In France, when you want a former racer to have a cheap horse, you have the choice between TB and "trotteur français" or TF. And there is even more TF than TB, so it's very easy to find. And they have the reputation to be very brave and generous, and good leisure horses. That's not false, but it's even more work to reschool properly a TF than a TB I think. But a lot of people don't bother to reschool them, and the wonder why they have problems.

But that explain why most people choose en TF rather than a TB. Even cheaper, and a better reputation.

JessandCharlie

Visit site
They're preetttyyyy :p :D
264725_236961756328121_100000428941076_854314_5037166_n.jpg

Even if he did have a minor meltdown over some bunting on a fence today on our hack :p He is only 4, he's forgiven ;)

Edit: AndiK I LOVE your beagles!! How CUTE!

J&C