Ok, here it is.... seriously, why do people want to own thoroughbreds...

momo79

Visit site
Because they have good manners, they are just as loving as any other horse, they are great to ride - clever, responsive and always try their best. I find that compared to other breeds they are easy to understand and work with.
Was riding with a few others the other day, they were riding my TB's (all ex-racehorses) and I rode on my Fell X pony - TBs were so sensible while my crazy pony did a 180 at every piece of passing traffic and jogged and pulled the whole way!

TigerTail

Visit site
I honestly have no idea and wouldnt have one if it was given to me :eek: Have yet to have a good experience with one though so im obviously biased.

unicorndreams

Visit site
I always said I'd never have one because I thought they were flighty, silly creatures but got introduced to them when I lived in Australia where they are commonly used as stock horses as well as polo, polocrosse and campdrafting and found them to be very genuine, willing, hardworking types. 3yrs ago (back in the UK) I bought one only a few months out of racing and she has been brill from day one - easy to keep, never lame, sick or sorry for herself, hacks out easily alone and in company, doesn't fizz up, doesn't need a lot of feed, keeps her shoes on (tho were are just trying a transition to barefoot) - she is my perfect hacking companion and nothing much fazes her. oh and she's very pretty and elegant looking too!!

111ex111

Visit site
Some TB's are more well behaved than a cob. I share a TB and he is not nasty or strong in anyway! Has such good manners and is amazing in the school. And I'm a 17 year old girl out of a riding school, got on him and fell in love. Would defo own one in the future!

Megibo

Visit site
Oi you lot! Stop dissing Welsh D's! :p:p:p
I have 2 and they are lovely. One is bold as brass and the other thinks crisp bags will eat her but I wouldn't swap them for anything, ESPECIALLY not a TB ;)

Having said that, I really like the chestnut tb at work even if she did run away with me :D Wouldn't own one though :p:p

Trifein

Visit site
I mean ordinary folk, not people that go to the real Badminton and all that, or racing, just people who do a bit of hacking, and the odd local show - why? Serious replies or funny ones - no nastiness, please.

I've grown up riding TB's and I wouldn't swap them for another horse any day.

Also because of their temperament they can be challenging, which may sound odd but I like as it gives them a little more 'Oomph'.
They also do a lovely half-pass when they spook ;)

Renvers

Visit site
I mean ordinary folk, not people that go to the real Badminton and all that, or racing, just people who do a bit of hacking, and the odd local show - why? Serious replies or funny ones - no nastiness, please.

... because some, like mine would prefer to do a bit of hacking and the odd local show, he didnt like racing and probably thinks that Badminton is just a place I go to buy him nice things :D

tafyx

Visit site
Because: they aim to please, can turn their hoof to most things, affectionate, great looking, not generally bargy or stubborn in a way they take the p*ss, form strong bonds with owner/handler and give them so much trust, intelligent, willing to learn, want to work!!
Iv got an exracer and he's my horse of a lifetime, yeah he's quirky but I'd be bored with a push button horse and it's such an achievement seeing the bond we've now got, how much more trusting he is and we have so much fun!!

same here.:)

loopylass

Visit site
Because you always know exactly where you stand and know exactly what they're thinking! They wear their heart on their sleeve, love to focus on their work and are so intelligent and workman-like. They are also a great reflection of your own horsemanship. I've owned WBs, TBs and ISH's. No horse has taught me more than a TB. No horse has been more reliable, more trustworthy, more consistent, or more honest than my TBs. I've learnt my lesson and will now only ever have a TB - they are my "horse of a lifetime" every time!

emerald_city

Visit site
I like their personalities, mine have always been very affectionate, willing and a joy to do. They seem to get a very bad rep, but even the more mad ones I've had/looked after have just been a bit misunderstood. I dont doubt that there are complete nutters out there though just like with any breed. I know id rather have a TB take off with me than a WB that i cant stop lol
Ive just sold the last TB ive had .. so people definately want them :) (he is a little star though so not suprising he sold quickly)

HOWEN

Visit site
Because I just love chasing my TB around the field for 4 hours trying to catch her, The huge vets, farriers bills that she has cost me, the crazy amount of food she eats all year round. The amount of rugs she goes through the winter (she had 10 new rugs last year and I have 1 left) The time effort plus some blood sweat and tears put into her to get her to some sort of reasonable riding horse. To the pointless full high rears when she wants to go left and I want to go right. Oh did I mention her love of human flesh? Honestly I ask myself why I have her

1. If I sold her she would come straight back so not a option
2. She did us proud as I racehorse therefore we should honor her with a home for life.
3. She looks nice
4. errrrrrr running out of nice things to say about her…..
5. I have 3 others that are angels so 1 devil horse out of 4 aint that bad.

On the rare occasion she is good she is perfect, bad days it maybe best to let her stay in her field. But she is very much loved and will be well cared for the rest of her days but if I had an option to buy one…. Not a chance!!! Stick to my M&M pocket rockets that’s cost ¼ of her to keep and have great fun on. I rode my NF in Mc Ds drive through last weekend for hangover breakfast; don’t think I could have asked her to do that

Asha

Visit site
never set out to own one !

Started the search by disregarding every advert that said TB.

On the 2nd viewing of a lovely chestnut ISH, looked at the passport , full Irish TB. By this time my daughter had fallen for her.

She is very genuine, a rolls royce ride , moves beautifully, very forgiving and has a scopey jump. She can be sensitive, but thats really making my daughter a better rider. She is everything she was advertised as.

A horse of a lifetime ? I think so.:)

My neighbour also has one, the best behaved un spooky horse i have known.

I will never disregard a horse on breed again.

Well and truly converted to the 'we love TBs club':D

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well they don't walk though walls my Clydesdale/ welsh dD cross has walked though the wall of his stable leaving a horse sized hole !!!! He unhurt ( imagine the state a TB would be if it did that) what ever irritants my TB throws at me it does not walk though walls Cobs who would have one.

Asha

Visit site
Well they don't walk though walls my Clydesdale/ welsh dD cross has walked though the wall of his stable leaving a horse sized hole !!!! He unhurt ( imagine the state a TB would be if it did that) what ever irritants my TB throws at me it does not walk though walls Cobs who would have one.

Had a WB, who tried to do this would throw itself against the walls completely ruined the stable. Had to get the builders in to sort it out. Our TB now in the same stable, and no damage at all.

winter0190

Visit site
They are beauiful and really try hard at everything you ask. They are great all rounders too my last thoroughbred competed in sj 3ft+ and dressage novice+ and would go xc too. My new horse is an 8yr old who was broken at 7yrs and she just started competing in sj and dressage and she's so quick to learn. Love thoroughbreds to bits, wouldn't have another breed I love there quirky natures :-D