Ok, here it is.... seriously, why do people want to own thoroughbreds...

Cuffey

Visit site
I owned one for 2 years, he thrived on work, was hunted twice a week and ridden or lunged every day, he was super fast with fantastic brakes.
A chestnut with white blaze and Ribot in his pedigree and I have no decent photos
He came to me when he started napping with his teenage owner who was studying hard and had no time for him
I hated selling him when I was pregnant but the last thing he needed was standing in a field doing nothing or he would have gone back to his naughty ways, and at that time my horse was kept miles from home.

Mrs B

Visit site
Lol I couldnt resist ;) I see the old "Why do people own cobs" thread has been resurrected :p

I saw. I can't think why anyone would be crass enough to do that.... I never did anything that daft about 2 months or so ago... honest...

*wanders off trying to look innocent and failing*

JANANI

Visit site
He was cheap for a just broken horse at the time.
He also moves well, has a good jump, good to hack, very comfy to ride, is very affectionate and I feel safe on him (unlike my homebred).
I am lucky that he has good feet and holds his weight.

He is also a lazy sod but he has his TB moments to keep me on my toes.

snowpony

New User
Visit site
Because i love them, because i have never known anything else, i learnt to ride on them, was backing them from age 11 and dont know any different.

I owned my own from when i was 12 yrs old (father who knew how much i loved TBs, also my first horse) and loved him and had the greatest bond with him, he kept me safe and saved me on more than one occasion and we grew up together, my oldest son now 6 learnt to ride on him and sadly my TB passed away last year and now im desperatly trying to save up to buy another.

There is nothing in the world like the feeling of galloping a TB and knowing that if you ask it for a little more then you will get it and your TB will just drop down a gear and go some more and love it :)

They are athletic, gentle and very quick learners and if treated correctly and trained well then they are safe and endless fun, and never boring there is always a chance of there being a Dragon lurking in the next broken twig they see which keeps you on your toes and stops you from becoming too relaxed when you ride and once you have that bond with one it will do anything for you. Also all the TBs i have ever known have never picked up any injuries that have put them out off action for more than a day or 2, have been great at keeping weight on and happily would live out most of the year, so great horses all round.

I am a fan of the ex-racers as they are amazing to re-school and so willing to learn and keen to please and can turn a hoof to almost anything, the way you have to ride them is slightly differnt, having a gentle contact and litterally thinking walk on, trot on etc for them to respond, but as this was the way i learnt to ride im lucky that it comes so naturally and i think i might struggle if i had to ride a "conventional" horse..

So for me its TBs all the way (saying that i also love big, hairy coloured cobs, trying to get the oh into riding so i will have an excuse to have one of them aswell) :)

Last edited:

NicoleS_007

Visit site
I saw. I can't think why anyone would be crass enough to do that.... I never did anything that daft about 2 months or so ago... honest...

*wanders off trying to look innocent and failing*

Oh dear and I bet it reeled another few unexpecting folks in to ;) I have just checked on who the culprit was for resurecting it and ... it was Shils ... Naughty Shils, shes already lured more folks into her trap lol

Achinghips

Visit site
Why own Shrek, when you can own Brad Pitt? :p No, seriously though, Tb's are complex and genuine and honest and only want to please. There is no deceit or naughtiness. Their behaviour makes them easy to read - I have never known a Tb who has trouble expressing their feelings!

They are sensitive, responsive, forward going and don't take rocky, uncomfortable baby footsteps. You need only to think where you are going and at what speed with a Tb - and they appear to respond by magic ;)

Oh and you don't need spurs or to ever kick, squeeze or nag them to move and retain the movement.

Kadastorm

Visit site
I didnt want a tb until i met kads and fell in love. Honest, kind, clever, amazing personality, tried so hard to please you, only had 6months with him and miss him terribly. He made me so happy.
Wont find one quite like him, but would def have a tb again, especially an ex racer.

Lolo

Visit site
J7.jpg

J12.jpg

J15.jpg

J9.jpg

2-2.jpg

Because he is super smart, 2 years out of racing and as well as being a very promising eventer he's anyone's hack and will nanny 11h ponies and their tiny jockeys out, lets my nervous mum hack him and will then go off and do proper fast work without blowing his brains. :D

He has crap feet though!!

Ginger Bear

Visit site
To have the feeling I had last week when I galloped my boy up the gallops on the Newmarket ride..and lets not forget how stunning they are!

Lyle

Visit site
I love my TB's :p

Here is Daniel, got him straight off the track and he has such a wordly and wise brain! Brilliant eventer, beautifull dressage and the best fun to hack out, alone or in company. To gallop was like cruise control, set the speed and go, until you wanted to go faster!
picture.php

picture.php

This is my new boy, Cruzy, only had him a few weeks but again a lovely well rounded horse!

picture.php

Go the TB's! :D

madmav

Visit site
Why own Shrek, when you can own Brad Pitt? :p No, seriously though, Tb's are complex and genuine and honest and only want to please. There is no deceit or naughtiness. Their behaviour makes them easy to read - I have never known a Tb who has trouble expressing their feelings!

They are sensitive, responsive, forward going and don't take rocky, uncomfortable baby footsteps. You need only to think where you are going and at what speed with a Tb - and they appear to respond by magic ;)

Oh and you don't need spurs or to ever kick, squeeze or nag them to move and retain the movement.

I ride one that's 7/8th TB. He's far more Shrek than Brad. Laziest sod going, but we love him!

DougalJ

Visit site
I've not owned a thoroughbred but ridden a few and I've had genuinely good experiences. One I part loaned many years ago was an absolute diamond, a really giving horse. They just seem to cost alot to run as they are such a fine breed.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
1) They're cheap to buy

2) They mostly look better than a cob

3) Some of them can actually sort of do something (unlike cob)

4) Crap riders can wind them up then look good whilst magaging to sit the buck, bronc, spook.

5) They break easily so good excuse to change horses

6) When poor result at a comp you can lie and say it only stopped racing 3 days ago

7) Make pretty field dressing once broken.

8) Have smaller feet (than cobs) so less toe damage.

9) Fulfill most owners need to stuff loads of hard feed in to horse without getting fat

10) Coz their cheap (worth repeating)

Waffles

Visit site
Ok - I only posted this as a joke... I used to have an ex racer TB who was a lovely, lovely gentleman of a horse, but totally insane if you galloped him and couldn't stop till you literally hit something. Years later, when I wanted another horse, I rode a few TBs to try out, and realised that they scared me shitless (not those actual horses, but the memories of doing a 45mph gallop without breaks) so I decided to get a welsh cob section D - equally nuts, but not as fast. I wouldn't want a ploddy dobbin type cob.

Damnation

Visit site
Because I don't discriminate between breeds.
I HATE it when people are put off from a nice horse, that suits their needs, because its a tb.

My first share horse was an ex racer tb, absolute gentleman! I was 14 and he looked after me and my friend who had just come off school ponies.
He then went on to be a 13 year old girls first horse and 4 year on she still has him, he has given her bounds of confidence and she will keep him for the rest of his days (he is 23 now).

My first ever loan horse at 15 was a 3 year old just broken 16.1 TB. He could be a little sod to ride but he never bucked, reared, bolted etc.
Contrast, I used to ride a cob which napped, bronked, bucked, even little rears. NOT a novice ride.

First horse I ever owned at just turning 16 was a 4 year old tb ex racer just off the track. She had her physicall problems (slipped disk that was never picked up by my useless vet until I moved away to Cumbria) and at 7 she was PTS. But I could not have asked for a more level headed, beautiful, loyal, mannerly, and more trusting mare than her! (I used to nap in the field with her when she was lying down asleep, same in the stable) I put complete novices on her and she looked after them beautifully!

You get good and bad in every breed.
When horse shopping SOD the breed, if it suits YOUR ability and you get on with it, who cares if its a TB, a cob, a hanoverian, a warmblood. Thats why you a buy a horse, to suit your needs! (Unless you want to breed from a specific type/breed).

Rant over :D

Last edited:

Kat

Visit site
Because they are horses.

Why would people want to own horses? If you can answer that then you've answered why people want to own tbs/cobs/natives/coloureds/wbs etc if you are nuts enough to think that spending all your money on a big smelly eating/pooping machine is a good idea then there will be a type of big smelly eating/pooping machine to suit your particular brand of mental illness!

skint1

Visit site
Well, one day I looked at my life and I though, "you know what skint1, you have faaaar too much money and free time, what you need is to buy your daughter a TB" and then of course you can never have just one.... job done :D

michaelequine

Visit site
Because if it wasnt for these folk to take on ex-racers a lot would end being PTS or going into the meat chain??

If the said people know what to expect and how to look after a TB, I dont see the problem. There are many people who see them as a 'cheap' option however the maintenance of one is often quite the opposite..

There's nothing wrong with TB being used as leisure horse, they too enjoy the love and attention they can get, I dont think there is any horse you could class as specifically a sport horse just to be used by the professionals.

Well said i agree!