Ok, here it is.... seriously, why do people want to own thoroughbreds...

ew0855

Visit site
Because I was looking for a horse to loan - found several that were what I thought I wanted (ie not TB) but after a few falls and several 'not as described' got offered my current boy who happens to be TB.

Being a safe gentleman who'd been there and done that mattered more than his breeding and size (novice ameuter - 17.2hh TB!). Having cantered him by the river and felt him lower himself and really push into the gallop before walking home on a long rein - put it this way when I lose him I'll definately give a TB a second look.

NB he's currently on box rest thou :-/

4x4

Visit site
Just seen this thread. Driving down the road today I saw someone on what I thought was a youngster pratting about on the road, very loose rein, leaning forward, scared looking husband on foot, horse waving it's head about a lot. I pulled over to let another car go by and stuck my head out of the window 'Are you OK?' 'Yeah it's an ex-racehorse it's only 6 and doesn't like going out on it's own'.....Thinks to myself 'OK fine but on the road...' Sorry guys, they need someone who knows what they're doing.

topclass

Visit site
I had my TB for 22 years and if I could swop my right arm to have him back I would in a heart beat he was my heart my soul and my best friend so why not. They dont deserve to be PTS because they dont reach the grades and it's people like me and you who love them for what they are beautiful, gentle creatures with a spirit and mind and a hell of a lot of love to give.

OneInAMillion

Visit site
Ok, here it is.... seriously, why do people want to own thoroughbreds...

To give everyone yet another thing to moan about to make themselves feel yet more superior to the people that (on this thread) are treated like tw8ts for wanting to rehome beautiful horses :rolleyes: :mad:

Toby773

Visit site
Cuppatea - you are presumably riding an ex-racehorse - so why ride him as if he were still a racehorse? Not having a go, just asking a perfectly logical question because he still looks at if he was racing to me.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Cuppatea - you are presumably riding an ex-racehorse - so why ride him as if he were still a racehorse? Not having a go, just asking a perfectly logical question because he still looks at if he was racing to me.

I think she works in racing - that's probably why - an probably why she knows how to ride them. She looks like a damn good jockey to me!!

Toby773

Visit site
I wasn't commenting on cuppatea's riding ability, merely asking why she is riding in such a style of what presumably is an ex-racehorse but I may be wrong and for that I apologise.

May I ask what the TB injury Hotline is?

Mince Pie

Visit site
I wasn't commenting on cuppatea's riding ability, merely asking why she is riding in such a style of what presumably is an ex-racehorse but I may be wrong and for that I apologise.

I think the racing tack is a give away ;)
TB injury hotline is a jokey clique for us with TB's who are very good friends with their vet!

Snickers

Visit site
Because they are far superior in attitude, ability and conformation to most breeds. I would always go for another ex racer.

And who would want an ugly hairy thing anyway? :p

Holly Hocks

Visit site

Oh yes - althoughTBs are supremely beautiful - we are on first name terms with all the staff at the vets surgery. So some time ago - on a thread about TBs ability to get injured in a padded cell, someone had an idea to create a jokey clique about them getting injured all the time!

badgerdog

Visit site
I've had 4 TB's, a cob, a warmblood and a native cross and out of all of them the TB's have been the best horses. I'm just a leisure rider who has lessons, hacks out and goes to local shows and the TB's have had the nicest temperaments, the better brains (apart from one!), the athleticism, the looks and they have even been the cheapest!
Some ex-racers can be difficult but if you get a good one, you can't go past them.

Luci07

Visit site
You can't generalise about TB's. IMO there are 2 very different stamps anyway - your little lw flat horse and your bigger NH horse (which I am a big fan of). I have had pure TB's and a lot of crosses (cob, ID and WB x). Both my TB's didn't make it out of training, both were well put together and really "nice" people. First one was probably one of the least talented but most kind horses I have ever known and finally ended up being sold (after a trial) to a novice friend of mine to get back into riding. He was 16.3 and should have been wildly unsuitable but he was so laidback nothing could phase him and they formed a great partnership.

Actually all my TB or TB x have been pretty good about steering clear of the vet with the exception of my old mare, whom on returning home, has probably funded a holiday for my vet while my youngster has ensured I have seen more of my vet over the last 2 weeks than I have ever in the entire time of owning a horse.

As for the comment about an ex race horse on the road - the biggest problem I had with my first one is that, having been up at lambourn where the horse is king, his disregard for traffic was outstounding and my biggest problem was keeping him to one side of the road and NOT the centre!!

badgerdog

Visit site
As for the comment about an ex race horse on the road - the biggest problem I had with my first one is that, having been up at lambourn where the horse is king, his disregard for traffic was outstounding and my biggest problem was keeping him to one side of the road and NOT the centre!!

Yes, all of the ex-racehorses I've ridden on the roads have been fantastic. When I tried one out on a hack, which had only been off the track for 6 weeks, about 30 cyclists past us in a race, and he didn't bat an eyelid! My current ex-racehorse is as solid as a rock and we have lorries, tractors, towing caravans etc pass us regularly and I feel as safe as houses on him.

Cuppatea

www.facebook.com

Because he wasn't an ex-racehorse then! He is now though and won his very first showjumping class and very first one day event among other plentifull wins. Problem is, red rosettes clash with his fur.... He is now whipping in for the hunt due to usual hunt horses being injured, the whip is over the moon with him.
When jumping at speed, jockey style is far far safer than showjumping style. Give me short stirrups and a racing saddle and ill happily jump anything! :D:D:D

I think the racing tack is a give away ;)
Quite!;)

I think she works in racing - that's probably why - an probably why she knows how to ride them. She looks like a damn good jockey to me!!

ah thanks Holly Hocks!
a194.gif

You can be my new best friend!:D

Last edited:

Waffles

Visit site
To give everyone yet another thing to moan about to make themselves feel yet more superior to the people that (on this thread) are treated like tw8ts for wanting to rehome beautiful horses :rolleyes: :mad:
I was only joking - making a jibe at the why do people want to own cobs thread. The ex racer I had was totally broken down with a tendon injury and thoroughly neglected... he had weatherbeat and was emaciated - he'd been "turned away" for the winter with no rug on the welsh hills. Everyone laughed at me for buying him, but come the summer, he was so beautiful, people came and apologised to my face for laughing behing my back. When I got my section D years later, it was because I couldn't face the scary fast galloping and danger of TBs....

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I was only joking - making a jibe at the why do people want to own cobs thread. The ex racer I had was totally broken down with a tendon injury and thoroughly neglected... he had weatherbeat and was emaciated - he'd been "turned away" for the winter with no rug on the welsh hills. Everyone laughed at me for buying him, but come the summer, he was so beautiful, people came and apologised to my face for laughing behing my back. When I got my section D years later, it was because I couldn't face the scary fast galloping and danger of TBs....

No offence, but I'd feel far safer on any TB than on a Welsh D. Lovely as they are, I think they're harder work than TBs!