Oliver Townend Fence 4 (Shallow Springs)

teapot

Visit site
You must be too young to remember the horrific fall-out when a British horse failed a drug test, and it turned out to be from a herbal supplement, if I remember correctly. It was tragic, cost the rider and the team vet careers (with the British team) and indirectly led to tragedy. No British rider or anyone connected with the sport is likely to forget that incident.

It was bad enough when the German rider was eliminated fairly recently. All the horses had been tested and clear before they went to the competition.

Ohhh yes! Pippa Funnell's autobio covers that dark period of British Eventing very well.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
There was a big controversy a few years ago at Burghley over a banned substance- young NZ rider who has gone back home (was he called Jock Padgett or something? My memory is awful). I think it was a mistake, or something in the feed. So they definitely test.
(I say a few years ago, it’s probably a decade)

And as I said, OT’s horse was pulled up to trot because of the hold, turned and trotted back past where I was standing on Xc day. It was definitely sound!

(seems a bit of a funny thing for Piggy to come out with. Almost a bit sore loser!)

Michen

Visit site
I do love these “it was definitely sound” comments.

Yep because it’s really clear whether a horse is sound when filled with adrenaline. Or even if not, many (most of us) need a vet to spot subtle lameness and even then it may only present after certain tests.

I had 5* event riders and coaches not see a lameness in my horse under saddle ?‍♀️

I don’t disagree with him carrying on but it’s madness to think he could have been 100% sure it has escaped uninjured. He took a calculated risk and it paid off.

KEK

Visit site
I wonder if we will see London again at the biggest XC courses (badminton, burghley) or whether he will do the softer ones from now on? He is an amazing horse and their win was fabulous but his XC round did not look like JPs and Classic Moet (for example). Guess we won't see him at Burghley this year anyway as I'm sure he has earned his spot to Pretoni.

[153312]

Visit site
You must be too young to remember the horrific fall-out when a British horse failed a drug test, and it turned out to be from a herbal supplement, if I remember correctly. It was tragic, cost the rider and the team vet careers (with the British team) and indirectly led to tragedy. No British rider or anyone connected with the sport is likely to forget that incident.

It was bad enough when the German rider was eliminated fairly recently. All the horses had been tested and clear before they went to the competition.
what horse/rider combo was it that was banned and when was this?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
(seems a bit of a funny thing for Piggy to come out with. Almost a bit sore loser!)[/QUOTE]

Wasn't Piggy in a very turbulent relationship with OT for quite a few years, maybe that has some bearing on her comment.

Michen

Visit site
Go on Badminton tv and watch the post winning interview when piggy won, it's absolutely hilarious. Piggys kid climbing all over the place and says something to Oliver who then playfully gives him a prod with his mic

Mrs B

Visit site

I remember it well - Polly was our vet. Such a lovely girl ?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site

Yep because it’s really clear whether a horse is sound when filled with adrenaline. Or even if not, many (most of us) need a vet to spot subtle lameness and even then it may only present after certain tests.

I had 5* event riders and coaches not see a lameness in my horse under saddle ?‍♀️

I don’t disagree with him carrying on but it’s madness to think he could have been 100% sure it has escaped uninjured. He took a calculated risk and it paid off.

It was held for a good half hour. There were stewards, chief stewards and vets buzzing around..

Michen

Visit site
It was held for a good half hour. There were stewards, chief stewards and vets buzzing around..

Yes, but that doesn't mean that it was sound because people in the crowd declared it so. Unless you are certain you can see lameness from that scenario, which seems unlikely given the various tests vet have to use to see it

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Exactly!

I've had a horse which was sound with a very significant chip out of her cannon bone. Had I chosen to take my sound horse cross country instead of getting my vet to x ray the slight lump on the outside of her hind leg, it might have broken. We were all astonished when we saw the pictures.

Michen

Visit site
Exactly!

I've had a horse which was sound with a very significant chip out of her cannon bone. Had I chosen to take my sound horse cross country instead of getting my vet to x ray the slight lump on the outside of her hind leg, it might have broken. We were all astonished when we saw the pictures.

Yep and proven further with the likes of Brookfield Innocent, ruled out of Badminton after a routine scan found an injury. He wasn't even lame.

So I think these "he was definitely sound" and not injured comments are a load of rubbish.

However, I don't disagree with him carrying on. He knew the risk of an underlying injury, he knew the horses value. Life is often about calculated risks and his paid off. Would I have done the same? Of course not, my neddie is my world. But this is "business" and I can completely get why he continued.

Chianti

Visit site
I'm not sure that I would consider that a reliable and unbiased source

I've read it and found it very informative - and shocking. There are also 14 pages of references as evidence for the arguments the author makes to the IOC. When drugs have been reclassified as 'medication' so that horses can compete then there must be something wrong with horse sport.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
What's this about? Livio Maxime gets a yellow warning card for 'Incorrect behaviour / unhooking noseband before check by Stewards' but only an Eventing Recorded warning for 'Abuse of Horse / pressing of a tired horse'?

Yellow warning card for Mollie Summerland for 'Abuse of horse / overuse of whip'.

So three cracks with the whip after a refusal gets you a yellow warning but a single crack (Pippa Funnell at same fence) gets no sanctions. Hmmm.

Michen

Visit site
What's this about? Livio Maxime gets a yellow warning card for 'Incorrect behaviour / unhooking noseband before check by Stewards' but only an Eventing Recorded warning for 'Abuse of Horse / pressing of a tired horse'?

Yellow warning card for Mollie Summerland for 'Abuse of horse / overuse of whip'.

So three cracks with the whip after a refusal gets you a yellow warning but a single crack (Pippa Funnell at same fence) gets no sanctions. Hmmm.

Well yes she hit the horse 3 x as much! Maybe there’s a specific number allowed, not sure.

Lexi_

Visit site
arguably more related to knowingly causing pain (if too tight)?

Well I assume that’s why the rule and penalty exist (and why tack checks happen in the first place), but that brief description just makes it sound like he undid it before the usual end of round tack check by the stewards. If that’s what happened in the aftermath of the fall, that’s bonkers.

Sorry, that all sounds very hypothetical doesn’t it? Just seems wild that it gets a yellow card when the abuse of the horse/poor riding incident doesn’t.

teapot

Visit site

Interesting! So just a warning for continuing to jump an exhausted horse, but a yellow card for undoing a noseband? ?

Well that’s very interesting Re the noseband.

And Mollie summerland.

Undoing leaving the arena post dressage test - it's on the coverage if you watch his test...

Not saying that it's the right way round yellow card wise but doing that in full view of the ground jury is a bit stupid.