Our mums to be!

Mariposa

Visit site
I am absolutely over the moon as both our mares had a manual on Monday and both have live foals in the oven! They were both AI and did have heartbeat scans, but when we scanned them before they couldn't confirm one of the foals, and the other was very small, but looks like hopefully everything has come good (fingers crossed!)

I decided to take a season off from polo, so took advantage of a year off to put two lovely mares in foal. They are very different, one is a well built Argentine mare, the sweetest mare I've ever known and the bravest, most honest pony to play. And the other is a lightweight TB ( by Mark of Esteem) who is a sweetheart on the ground but sharp as anything on board! We've put the Argentine mare is a high goal stallion called Clark, who is still playing with his 10 goal owner player, to give her some quality and speed (bless her, she's not the fastest!), and the TB has gone to a very laid back Chilean ex high goal stallion called Rector, who has good bone and a lovely temperament. Hopefully he'll add some much needed bone, as although very talented she is rather like riding a fence post...so narrow!

They are due rather late, not until June and are both in very good form, although Noodle, the argie mare, needs to lose a bit of weight, she's looking a bit too well!

Anyway, here they are ( photo from the autumn) - we're so excited!

66As7H.jpg

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
It is lovely having "fur" babies. Who's who in the pics? Have you thought of names yet? I'm sad and as soon as I knew my mare was in foal I'd started thinking!

Mariposa

Visit site
Prima the TB is on the left, and Noodle the argentine mare is on the right. I have to confess I have been thinking of names ever since we got the scan but I know its probably bad luck! I keep imagining what the foals will look like - this is the Prima's 'husband' Rector, he's a really lovely old boy- just walked out of his stable despite other stallions all around, and didn't bat an eyelid.
gIoFJR.png

And this is Clark, who will hopefully give some 'quality' to Noodle, if all goes well I imagine her foal will be very special! He's so handsome :)
TfDSwC.png

Rollin

Visit site
Mariposa,

I wish you the very best for two happy foalings, hope you are prepared for the sleepless nights.

We have lost a foal so only one mum to be. She is running with the stallion sire. If the sun comes out we will take a photo. Due April.

Mariposa

Visit site
Well, we are one week from both mare's due dates! They have gone to a friend's stud to foal, as we thought it better with two maiden mares to have professionals on hand. They've been at the stud for just over a week now, Noodle has bagged up considerably, Prima is apparently glued to her side and won't let her out of sight, I hope she relaxes and settles in soon. Very exciting and just hoping everything goes ok, and we have healthy mares and little ones in a week or so.

Here is Noodle - looking very bored with her big belly!
HyF3Y2.jpg

And here's Prima a few days before she left :
xUv4Pt.jpg

Mariposa

Visit site
Thank you! Spoke to the stud this morning and they think they have a way to go still, and Prima is still on edge and not relaxed, so I'm a bit worried about that!

PorkChop

Visit site
How exciting, both are lovely :)

Wishing them an easy foaling - would love to see pictures once they have arrived - everything crossed for you :)

Mariposa

Visit site
Nothing yet! She is huge though, poor girl and she's waxed up a little . She is utterly transfixed by Prima's foal!

Clodagh

Visit site
Yay! I started typing a reply earlier saying I bet foal 1 makes foal 2 arrive. How lovely. Fngers crossed.

Mariposa

Visit site
You were right, apparently Noodle had been positively crazy about the other foal all day and heh presto! We have a filly! A chestnut filly, no white on her head at all! They think she probably needed to cook for a few more days, very short mane, but all ok so far. Fingers crossed she is ok! Will post pics soon as I have one!

Mariposa

Visit site
Still can't quite believe we have two foals in 24 hrs...you wait and worry for 11 months and now suddenly they are here!

Here is our little filly and Noodle, who is - as expected - completely besotted!
3UvGAu.png

JDHEAm.jpg

Mariposa

Visit site
Thank you! The colt is rather smart! The little filly is a whole 10kgs lighter than him, but up and about and very bright this morning! Just over the moon to have two healthy mums and two healthy foals. Now for names!

Mariposa

Visit site
Relieved is definately high on the list, I realise we are very lucky to have two healthy foals. We lost a foal a few years ago, it was awful, and we were so sad and we've been so worried about these girls - hence sending them to a stud to foal.

The stud have already nicknamed them Donnie ( as in Prima Donna...) and Bean ( as in Bean Sprout...which goes with Noodle...)...I'm hoping those names do not stick ( mostly as I already know horses with those names!)

Clodagh

Visit site
Gorgeous. Are mares preferred to geldings in polo? I don't suppose you are too worried about that at this point. Both lovely. Well done, girls!

Mariposa

Visit site
There are definately more mares in polo, but I'm not actually sure why as the few geldings we've had in our yard have been amazing! These two are both bred for polo but we'll see how they grow up!

Mariposa

Visit site
Well, we've had a wobbly few days - Noodle stopped eating and the filly was very weak, she had plasma and fluids and finally today we have progress! Noodle is eating again, and the filly is much stronger. They went out very early before it got too hot - here is Noodle and her little girl!
y6S1Oc.jpg

Mariposa

Visit site
Some more gratuitous foal photos! The filly is just adorable and the colt is naughty! He bombs around like a loon, bucking and kicking and flinging himself around! He is bold as brass at the moment, whilst she is shy and sweet. We've found names finally, the colt is Red Cardinal ( Rector x Prima Markova) and the filly is Paloma ( Clark x Noodle) which is spanish for dove - we have a bird theme for homebreds but we went round and round in circles!

Cardinal
3NVpVT.jpg

0ZFvxh.jpg

They are slowly introducing the mares again, and Cardinal just marched up to Noodle, no fear! Poor Prima was yelling at him to come back and he totally ignored her! I think he's going to be a handful!
4pe4Ch.jpg

ZFG3yx.jpg

Cuddles!
4gfEO3.jpg

And all the team!
YGBKUO.jpg