Our mums to be!

Alec Swan

Visit site
Mariposa, any chance of some improved confo shots?

Two year olds? Always gawky and 'all-over-the-place', but for me it's the one stage which I enjoy. Then 12-24 months on, and they're barely recognisable!

I still like that filly! :)

Alec.

Mariposa

Visit site
I remember that you intend to use them as polo mounts?

They're both bred for polo - their dams are playing again this season and both of their dad's played to the highest level possible ( Gold Cup, Queens Cup and the Argentine Open - both with 10 goalers) - but I'm not against them going on to do something else, I'd love them to play polo but if one of them seems to really excel at a different discipline then I'm sure I might be swayed ( the filly especially floats across the ground!)

Mariposa

Visit site
Mariposa, any chance of some improved confo shots?

Two year olds? Always gawky and 'all-over-the-place', but for me it's the one stage which I enjoy. Then 12-24 months on, and they're barely recognisable!

I still like that filly! :)

Alec.

I did try to get some decent photos but this is what happens when I venture int the field..I'm attacked!

Ep6H05.jpg

Next time they're in I'll stand them up - would appreciate some opinions on them!

Mariposa

Visit site
Thank you - they make me very happy....even when they're hanging onto my shirt with their teeth and trying to nibble my hair!

Mariposa

Visit site
Tried to get some better confirmation shots but they've not come out very well - the filly looks really top heavy in this and she's really not! But here they are, at 14 months old - as cheeky as ever!
AzJNFr.jpg

m4STyd.jpg

JSm0zI.jpg

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Wow, can't believe how quickly they've gone from leggy bundles of fluff to real horses. They look lovely Mariposa! The colt's nose is too cute but the filly is still my favourite 😄

GemG

Visit site
They both look fabulous! You must be very proud.

In my humble opinion, the colt looks I suppose flashier purely due to his colour and markings, but filly I prefer slightly (if I had to choose) in general if you were going to be critical. He is a bit more upright in his shoulder compared to her. BUT that could easily be the photo, I try and take pictures of our filly and in most she looks not to clever at all in some just the way she is stood / camera angle. I think it's hard to make any real judgements at this gawky age (unless there is something obviously not correct conformation wise).

Our filly (similar age to your guys) has actually gone a bit 'ugly' (lanky) and her main fault is a very slight twist inwards from front fetlocks down. (Good job I wasn't after a HOYS ptospect) Makes her very slightly dish, but only if I'm being super critical.

Temperament is a first and your guys look like complete dudes in that respect also.

Well done!!! Keep posting, I love seeing them growing.

Out of interest... Which is the nicest/likeable 'person' of the two? Or is that like asking you to choose between your two children!?! Lol!

They look like the perfect waste of time :) gorgeous!

Last edited:

Mariposa

Visit site
Thank you for the reply! Yes, I'm in agreement - the colt is flashier, he's also got more bone and is just a bit more my usual type. I like a leg at each corner! I've done the filly no favours with my photo, I wasn't square on and it does make her look unfairly top heavy ( sorry Paloma!) - but I do sometimes wish she had some white! Like her mother she has lots of white flecks coming through on her flanks and in her mane...I thought for a moment we might have a roan but no, she is resolutely orange!

It's impossible to chose my favourite - they're both such nice people! He always trots over in the field and is very friendly and cheeky (but a bit headshy, I'm not sure if anything every happened but he does not like his ear being touched!), whilst the filly is utterly gorgeous 99% of the time...but when she does not want to do something ooooh she has a temper! She didn't want her jabs, and threw a complete strop! We had to leave her and come back when she'd calmed down, and then she looked like butter wouldn't melt again!

And yes, they are a serious time waster! It's a good thing I don't have enough money to breed anymore at the moment...I'd never get any work done at all!

Mariposa

Visit site
Hi all - just thought I'd pop up a mini update on our yearlings. They are both living out this winter, with a large field shelter/mini barn to sleep in, which they use a lot! They've both grown, the filly especially seems massive to me! She must be 14.2 already, if not bigger! She's very sweet, a real people person, loves attention and is always the first one to trot over. The colt is still a little headshy (lots of time being spent scratching his head which seems to be helping a bit) and a real b*gger to worm, but apart from that he's lovely to do everything with.

Z2nLwO.jpg

eqfY6B.jpg

78CF2A.jpg

And their mums! They are enjoying their winter holidays and we are discussing stallions for next year. I spoke to the stud manager at Oakgrove about their wonderful stallion Avonbridge and I am really keen on him for the TB mare, Prima, at least - but might wait a year.
Noodle and Hector the lab
dhZo65.jpg

Changing rugs in the field ( Noodle keeps escaping through electric fence...this new rug is one that lets the shock through so I hope it surprises her!!)
ITGLyZ.jpg

Tetrarch 1911

Visit site
I looked at Avonbridge last year for my sprint mare, but I settled on Hellvelyn. Both were perfect for my girl, but I finally went for Hellvelyn because my girl is closely related to a very good 2-y-old by him, and he was a good performer himself at 6 furlongs. I have to say it was a toss-up really between the two, and Avonbridge had produced a number of excellent performers on the flat - speedy and sharp, and he has been a reliable source of good, sound, stock from all sorts of mares. He also has a high percentage of winners to runners. He'd be a nice choice!

Your babies are looking lovely!! I remember when they were born, and your filly took a bit of time to get going - my word, look at her now! Thanks for the update!

Mariposa

Visit site
I looked at Avonbridge last year for my sprint mare, but I settled on Hellvelyn.

Hellvelyn is such a lovely horse, he was one on my short list! Mrs Danvers has been such a good PR for him! I also really like Orientor but he's just so far away up in Scotland. The mare I want to send to Avonbridge is by Mark of Esteem out of a Jalmood mare, and we would (hopefully) get something with a good turn of speed. Apparently he is a very nice 'person' too!

Mariposa

Visit site
Hello all - can't believe it's been 3 months since I shared what Paloma and Cardinal are up to! They have been having a little 'education' for a couple of weeks away from home at a lovely yard and learned how to load, wear rugs, be tied up - and taken it all in their stride. Now school is over and they are back out being babies, and feeling very well! Paloma has a lump on her head which the vet says is growth plates, it's getting smaller but had us a bit concerned! Both are are in great form and growing rapidly. The filly is very athletic and rangey, she got a great cruising speed - whilst Cardinal is sharp and quick, amazing acceleration! They are both still very sweet to deal with, very lucky to have two kind natured babies - and Paloma is even a little less mouthy now!

Cardinal wearing a rug!
9y7hz1.jpg

The day they got home - looking a bit tucked up from the journey!
FKXYfb.jpg

SWgnFI.jpg

ggD3BD.jpg

On the weekend - you can just see P's lump!
dmYLl3.jpg

Hay bags are not scary..
ShaUyc.jpg

Cardinal stetching his legs!
zd9qje.png

Until next time!

Mariposa

Visit site
Hello all! I thought I would post a few update photos of my evergrowing youngsters! They are both very well, very athletic types...just wish Paloma would stop growing, she's coming up to 15.2! We are so pleased with them both, they're such lovely characters, Paloma is a bit sharper than Cardinal - which is so weird considering her mother is the MOST laid back mare ever, and his dam is super sharp!

We decided to have them backed this spring - I had originally planned to wait longer but they are big, strong and we felt they needed to be using their brains a bit! After lots of deliberation decided to send them to Shane Borland. Shane is one of the UK'S leading reining riders, and breeds fabulous quarter horses - and also does a lot of polo and polocrosse. We felt his methods and reputation would work well with both of them, as we really wanted to get the foundations in place in an unhurried and relaxed way. They'll be there for 6 weeks, then come home to be turned away for the summer, and probably come back in to do a bit more in the late summer. So far I couldn't be happier with the care and attention they're giving them, we popped up to see them and they were both very settled and happy - phew!

I only got photos of Paloma in 'action' but here she is! Apparently she is quite sharp - and at first did not appreciate leaving her beloved Cardinal! They are in their winter woolies so look like hairy ponies!
WjNfMZ.jpg

8uOG5r.jpg

C3C9kI.jpg

9fclYd.jpg

And a photo of Cardinal sent to me by Shane - looking so very relaxed!
ZvplaZ.jpg

And just before they left.....when youngsters attack! ha!
mxDmXE.jpg

Clodagh

Visit site
I have just caught up with about two years of this thread. It is so lovely that you have kept updating with them, so often we don't hear any more once they are no longer foals. They are both beautiful now, they look really well put together and nice movers.

GemG

Visit site
Great update and as Clodagh says, great to hear/see how foals from the 'forum' are getting on now they're becoming big girls and boys! ...they've grown into lovely youngsters haven't they, you should feel very proud. I take it you'll be hoping to hit the polo ground with them eventually?

Mariposa

Visit site
I have just caught up with about two years of this thread. It is so lovely that you have kept updating with them, so often we don't hear any more once they are no longer foals. They are both beautiful now, they look really well put together and nice movers.

Great update and as Clodagh says, great to hear/see how foals from the 'forum' are getting on now they're becoming big girls and boys! ...they've grown into lovely youngsters haven't they, you should feel very proud. I take it you'll be hoping to hit the polo ground with them eventually?

Ah thank you both :) We're really pleased with them both - they're both very different to how I thought they'd turn out ( the filly in particular as she's take after her sire line so much) but I like the fact they are both nicely put together, correct and have a good attitude.

The long term plan is still polo - but our focus at the moment is to get all the foundations in place. My hope is to have two young horses that I can happily take for a hack around the farm. Once we have that in place, we can focus them in a polo direction if that's right for them, or they can aim elsewhere! I would love them both to play polo, but as long as they have a 'job' I don't mind what they do. A couple of eventing people have asked about Paloma after seeing her, so you never know.....!

Visit site
Stayed up late last night to read this thread; lovely, lovely story. They're both gorgeous and you are so lucky, I hope they grow into everything you want them to be and more. Beautiful babies.

Mariposa

Visit site
Oh that's so lovely - thank you Chinchilla! It does make me smile that when I started this thread the foals were just buns in the oven still, and now they are strapping young horses ready to start their careers! Where did the time go?!?

timbobs

Visit site
I just sat with a cup of tea and read through the whole thread.

Such gorgeous babies who have grown into beautiful horses! You must be so proud of them! Please keep updating with their progress, it's so lovely to see how they've matured and I want to know what they get up to!

ihatework

Visit site
Oh that's so lovely - thank you Chinchilla! It does make me smile that when I started this thread the foals were just buns in the oven still, and now they are strapping young horses ready to start their careers! Where did the time go?!?

How fantastic are they both looking now! Lovely pair