Our mums to be!

Mariposa

Visit site
New photos of my little mud monsters! They've been very good over Christmas, they've been coming in every night as it's so wet. Our fields are ok but around the main gateway is awful, and they hate walking through it!

This is Cardinal waving his santa hat to say merry christmas!
xoeWfc.jpg

Leading Cardinal and Prima out - they both lead well, which makes life easier!
YlQ8rI.jpg

"You have to be kidding if you think we're walking into that mud!"
43cbNz.jpg

Cardinal
gp70uv.jpg

Darling Paloma - she's still lighter that I'd want but she is eating really well, and has 3 decent meals a day now, as well as good hay. Her mother, Noodle, is thrilled at the extra food! Paloma is growing quickly and she's already taller than Cardinal, she's not going to be little like her mum. Her sire is a good 15.2hh and I hope she's not bigger than that.
hzd2HH.jpg

And this is Paloma putting Cardinal back in his place in the field!
MaP5hL.jpg

Bottoms! Picking new shoots off the muddy patch!
KWL4x5.jpg

Mariposa

Visit site
Mariposa, looks like they both have homes if they don't work out for you ;)

Perfect!

I must warn that Paloma demands many many cuddles and scratches, and Cardinal has a habit of unzipping coats and will totally mug you if he suspects you're hiding apples.... :)

Jinx94

Visit site
Perfect!

I must warn that Paloma demands many many cuddles and scratches, and Cardinal has a habit of unzipping coats and will totally mug you if he suspects you're hiding apples.... :)

Nothing wrong with either of those habits while they're small :p Tristan doesn't understand apples, it would be fun to have a change ;)

Mariposa

Visit site
Mini update! So Cardinal and Paloma are now just over 7 months old, time flies! Cardinal has become a bit colty and hence he's getting the snip next Friday. They're still coming in at night, and one evening he just harrassed his poor mother round and round his stable, so he's now in his own bachelor pad next door to her. Relief all round, and both foal and mare seem much happier. They are due to be weaned at the end of this month anyway, and Cardinal has taken it all in his stride, and walks straight into his stable.
iXoh6W.jpg

Meanwhile Miss Paloma is growing up! She's lovely, she does have a temper though - typical redhead! Apart from that she's angelic, leads out like a dope on a rope and it sweet to do.
SJFHqE.jpg

And here are they out in the mud. The field is actually fine just passed the gateways but they, of course, like to stand in the mud.
LVSa5b.jpg

And here's my daughter giving Noodle a brush!
DRlKhD.jpg

Mariposa

Visit site
So, following on from the other thread, here's poor Cardinal out for the count on Friday!
4BsoR8.jpg

Ouch!
NEO19F.jpg

But all ok and very bright post-op!
9kYAW4.jpg

Lovely Paloma has really picked up with the spring grass!
qBWnKF.jpg

Cardinal trotting in..
GQpdZx.jpg

Mariposa

Visit site
A long overdue update! Well today the foals were finally weaned! After Cardinal had been cut there was no mad rush to separate them so we've held off until the weather has (hopefully!) turned. Today they all came in for breakfast, and then after they'd eaten Noodle and Prima were loaded up, Paloma and Cardinal were put in a stable together, top door shut and before they really knew what had happened the mares headed off.

No stress at all from the mares ( I think they're rather relieved!) and only a couple of squeaks from Paloma, Cardinal couldn't care less!

The mares are going away for 6 weeks or so, and are coming back into work (slowly!) and the foals will spend a day or so in, and then be out together. Thinking of getting a nanny for them, to keep them in check!

Some photos from the last few days :
tJVokA.jpg

Jo8JcM.jpg

z0K1o6.jpg

i96sNI.jpg

GemG

Visit site
Oh brilliant, well done. It's nice to get this bit out the way I feel. I had visions of screaming and throwing themselves about and it all being rather traumatic. But like you, thankfully, it was all very low drama.

Another chapter over - doesn't time fly! And don't they look great !

(yes a nanny to keep them in line is great if you can borrow one!). We have a little fat nanny pony for our filly and although she is less than half the height (although twice as wide!) she does a grand job of reminding her to respect her elders!

Mariposa

Visit site
(yes a nanny to keep them in line is great if you can borrow one!). We have a little fat nanny pony for our filly and although she is less than half the height (although twice as wide!) she does a grand job of reminding her to respect her elders!

That's what we want! Someone to keep them in order!

Mariposa

Visit site
2 weeks since the foals were weaned and they suddenly look so grown up! They're like little horses instead of foals! All is going well, they're coming in overnight, which is great so they great their feet picked out, brushed and handled- they're both doing very well. The mares are at a nearby yard and are fine but I can't wait to bring them home, only about 2-3 weeks!
Cardinal cantering towards me in the field!
bwUAq7.jpg

EEnWWB.jpg

And both with eyes on stalks when the tractor turned up to pick up the muck heap!
D52Nmu.jpg

VVuWrI.jpg

Mariposa

Visit site
Thank you - it's so lovely to have their summer coats coming through, they're looking less like moth eaten teddy bears and like horses again!

Mariposa

Visit site
A mini update on our (not so) little ones!

Weaning went smoothly, and now 8 weeks later the mares are back and there's only been a little whinnying from them to the foals, and vice versa, but no one has got upset. They can see each other in the field but there's a field between them and they are all settled.

Paloma is growing into herself, and I think she's going to be quite big! She's very sweet natured and good to do everything with.
IZIcGh.jpg

Cardinal is just a little power house, turning into a very sweet little person too, although he still rather wary of the vet after his little op!
aTDLsN.jpg

Here they are stalking me in the field!
NCoTWp.jpg

And the mums are back in work - I took Prima for the most lovely hack on the weekend, she was the best she's ever been. We are talking about putting her in foal again next year, but to be honest I'd be happy just keeping her and Noodle to hack and enjoy.
Zl26Jt.jpg

Mariposa

Visit site
FGS change that gate!!! Seen to many horses damaged with diagonal bracing

Thanks for the advice- I'll certainly bear that in mind if we ever look to change the gates but we've never actually had an issue with any of the gateways in the 20 odd years we've lived here, or had any comments on them previously ( in fact I think there's a clear photo of the mares at that same gateway on the first page of this thread!)

popsdosh

Visit site
Thanks for the advice- I'll certainly bear that in mind if we ever look to change the gates but we've never actually had an issue with any of the gateways in the 20 odd years we've lived here, or had any comments on them previously ( in fact I think there's a clear photo of the mares at that same gateway on the first page of this thread!)

Take it from one that has just one accident is one to many and the gate is a fraction of the vets bill or dead horse.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Sorry Mariposa, but popsdosh is absolutely right on that one. Cross bracing on steel gates is asking for trouble. I had a £600 bill for a gate that cost £80 to replace and the youngster was never really right again.

Never mind all that though! The more that I see of your filly, the more that I like her. She's a delight. :)

Alec.

Mariposa

Visit site
I honestly do take it on board and do appreciate the words of wisdom, just something we've not had issues with over the years, we actually had a proper look at all the gates this evening and talked about taping off that gateway, so thank you for the advice.

And thank you for the kind words on the filly Alec, I'm so looking forward to seeing how her progresses (just hope she doesn't grow too much, I have visions of her being a giant!)

popsdosh

Visit site
I honestly do take it on board and do appreciate the words of wisdom, just something we've not had issues with over the years, we actually had a proper look at all the gates this evening and talked about taping off that gateway, so thank you for the advice.

And thank you for the kind words on the filly Alec, I'm so looking forward to seeing how her progresses (just hope she doesn't grow too much, I have visions of her being a giant!)

attachment.php
this is an injury caused by a diagonal braced gate to a cow 3 weeks ago she had to go as it had gone to the bone ,you are only looking at £80 for a vertical braced gate like the other one in your pics is it really worth the risk even with tape up. We have just changed about 20 gates after this the cow was an unnecessary £1200 lose. All the horses gates have always been vertically braced after seeing a yearling take its foot off. Just because it hasnt happened doesnt mean it wont.
Sorry merely trying to warn you of the possibility

Last edited:

Mariposa

Visit site
Gosh, didn't see the thread descending into this! I do appreciate your advice, must have been awful to lose the cow and yearling. I'm absolutely not disputing the evidence, the photo is horrific and I'm so sorry you went through that. I simply hadn't heard of an issue with that gate style before but appreciate your advice and warning. I've worried about most things in the field ( we've re-fenced, replaced sharp edges on the shelters, walked the fields for hours looking for sharp twigs after Prima had her puncture injury and even widened several gateways) but I'd never had concern with the actual gates until now.

Mariposa

Visit site
It's been almost two months since I gave a little update on the (not so little) foals! Today they had their jabs and were both very good, came in on a loose rope, stood in the yard like dopes on ropes and both had a snooze in their stables as they waited for the vet. It was a total pain bringing them in and out every day/night in the winter but now they are so civilised and good to handle it makes me appreciate it. Anyway, a couple of pics!
Here's little Paloma, the orange wonder!
dXwKDt.jpg

And here is Cardinal
dl7sbc.jpg

Tetrarch 1911

Visit site
I agree. It is always lovely to see how youngsters grow from tiny foals into grown-up horses and all of the stages in-between. They are both gorgeous, and I adore Paloma's ears! I remember that you intend to use them as polo mounts?
They look great! It's amazing how quickly they're growing up!