Our mums to be!

Mariposa

Visit site
Hello all! A very overdue update on our not-so-little foals! They finally came home on Friday, travelled well and the colt walked off the lorry like he'd been travelling all his life! He is a bold little man, and I have a bit of a soft spot for him as he's just so brave and very cute. When we were leading then out this morning he walked ahead of his mum, and strode off with serious intention! The filly, who was rather ill in the days after her birth, has caught up in size and now overtaken him! She is a funny little thing, she loves attention and a good itch!

Really enjoying them, and feeling very grateful that the filly, Paloma, seems to be strong and well now. :)

Arriving home!
C5pDlv.jpg

First morning out
R0gx5u.jpg

Paloma
nNyGWI.jpg

Playtime! ( and don't worry, the slips were taken off on the second day!)
sHe1ku.jpg

Mariposa

Visit site
She is SO long suffering! Cardinal is forever nibbling her neck and generally being a pain, and she just shakes him off and makes faces at him!

GemG

Visit site
What a super pair of mischief makers! You must be so pleased after the whole journey of stallion/pregnancy/foaling. They will have a lovely late summer playing together.

Mariposa

Visit site
Ah thank you! We are smitten! I promise I won't spam the board with photos...but here are a few more! I love this one of my little daughter with Prima and Cardinal!
zRxIhB.jpg

And a couple from that first morning out, exploring the field!
SC105Z.jpg

nqFzWt.jpg

Spanny

Visit site
Just caught up with this thread. Beautiful mares and gorgeous foals! I'm so glad Paloma pulled through ok, I think she's going to be really special.

Mariposa

Visit site
Hello all! I thought I'd post an update on our little....or not so little ones! Paloma the filly has caught up with the colt, Cardinal, and is even bigger than him! We've been trying to leave them out as much as possible for them to grew their winter coats, so they are starting to look very hairy! Paloma has a small hernia, which is ok at the moment but we need to get it sorted soon, she is being very good as we check it every day.
Paloma and her mum waiting for breakfast - she can finally see over the stable door!
O10bpd.jpg

Prima and Cardinal having breakfast al fresco this weekend
ZC2OH5.jpg

Saying hello to our lab...
7CRMMk.jpg

Saying hello to my daughter! Don't worry, I picked her up right after this, I don't entirely trust them with her naughty teeth! They are both totally obsessed with her, and vice versa!
K1u7cB.jpg

Mariposa

Visit site
Some photos from the weekend, they went into their new field and Cardinal decided to hoon around bucking and squealing! Paloma was far more sensible of course and just walked around, just like her mum! She has to have surgery on her hernia in a few weeks, already a little worried about it!
This is their 'no one ever feeds us' face...
7H1MHQ.jpg

Cardinal and Prima being silly...
Aio9vt.jpg

Weeeeeeee!
R5xvwe.jpg

Cardinal is looking really well, Paloma needs more condition (IMHO) - it's a tricky balance trying to ensure they get enough food, but not too much, but could do with a bit more coverage I think.

Last edited:

Mariposa

Visit site
A bit of an update from the terrible two! Paloma had her hernia operation earlier this week, and I was very proud that she loaded, traveled and behaved herself so well! The op went really well and she was only in hospital overnight, so Prima and Cardinal were home alone. I turned them out on their own and Cardinal decided to practise being a bucking bronco! Squealing and squeaking and leaping about! Here is a compilation of the photos!
fEXwYC.jpg

However he was an angel to lead in and out, despite the wind and plastic flapping in the barn and all sorts of scarey things! This is them at last check, getting midnight snacks..
VMX4RH.jpg

And here is my little Paloma, home in the dark and straight to bed :)
nMsFyU.jpg

Here they are the next day. They have 10 days of box rest and walking around the yard, days like this I wish I had a round pen!
h2vOVr.jpg

Mariposa

Visit site
Thank you :)

Hopefully they will follow in their mum and dad's footsteps and go into polo, hoping to send them both to Jason Webb to be broken in about 3 years from now ( better start saving!!) , and take it from there. They both seem lovely types, but so different in character. Cardinal is cheeky and brave, and loves attention, Paloma is very calm, very relaxed about everything and takes it all in her stride - only problem is that she's not a great eater still - really want to get some more meat on her, we have to feed her on her own as she wanders around and her greedy mum always steals her food.

Short term they are to be weaning in late January, not looking forward to that!

GemG

Visit site
Oh how lovely - great pics - they are looking well!!

Try not to worry about the weaning - they have each Other which will make it so much easier for all concerned, and by that time their mum's will be glad to get a break and have some me time! We weaned our single foal a few weeks ago and we had to make do with a borrowed nannie pony (who is with her now) as I couldn't get another buddy foal suitable near me (best laid plans and all that...)

The weaning went a million times smoother than I could have ever imagined.

Nannie pony had been with mare and foal in field for a few weeks prior. Then Brought mare/foal into stable with a tall door - took mare out and straight away into transport and away before she thought about shouting, nannie pony in with foal.

Mare didn't look back. Foal didn't even shout, box walked around a bit, looked in the huff and eventually started eating hay. She sulked for a day, then that was it!

Yours will have a much easier time as they have each other which is nice.

Mariposa

Visit site
That's really reassuring! I've been rather dreading it, and it seemed so far off...but suddenly its not so far! They are growing up so fast! I tried on a rug on Paloma over the weekend, thinking that at 4ft 6 it would be far too big, but it almost fits her! Scary!

GemG

Visit site
Yes they grow up quick - I have our girl's foal slip oiled and hung up in the garage (long redundant!) Im not sure whether to keep it as a memento (that's maybe a bit sad!) !!! Cardinal looks so much like Prima in those photos!!!

One of my old friends was well into her polo, but she's sold her last mare as she now has a young family and I think her priorities have had to shift somewhat lol. I had a few polo lessons, but despite being sporty - I just never took to it at all! :-/
I now live in Scotland and I think the closest thing you'd get to polo is the mint with a hole!

Mariposa

Visit site
I can relate to your friend, same thing happened with me! Up until last summer I had 4 playing ponies and couldn't get enough of polo, then I had my daughter and naively thought I'd be able to get straight back into it. I definately went back too soon, and after two games last summer I pulled the plug, sold one pony, retired another and put Noodle and Prima in foal. I felt totally torn between being in the yard and working with the ponies, and being with my baby daughter, it was making me feel so guilty. I miss it, but having the mares still makes it ok ( and now having these two little ones!)

I still love polo, and I really hope I can go back to it, but right now I can't fit it all in. But at least my daughter is now old enough to come up to watch my friends play, which is just as fun :)

Mariposa

Visit site
My lovelies over the weekend! Paloma has put on some weight, still a bit light for me but eating well! Cardinal is feeling very well...it was a bit like flying a foal-kite in the wind when I was turning him out in the wind!

Gc3fUI.jpg

88LleG.jpg

And cheeky Cardinal when I was doing late night stables, he is very cute!
3rOxmk.jpg