Piggies

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I terrified them again today
99073838_10163655334325438_1016595467355553792_n.jpg

we have now worked out that the floor is edible though lol.

Hexx

Visit site
I'm picking up some new girls tomorrow - really looking forward to it and have spent the morning re-arranging the garage for the new cage. Quite excited!

I really like the advice that Saskia from LA guinea pig rescue gives - they have a youtube channel - worth checking it out.

julesjoy

Visit site
I've weighed them today. No idea what they were when I got them, but they are considerably fatter now! 1040g and 1058g. Is that too much? How do I diet a piggie?

ester

Visit site
No that's pretty average :)

Mine are not taking their grass eating responsibilities at all seriously!

ester

Visit site
I tend to count it as a bit, but that is partly because what's fresh depends what is in the fridge/what I am making for myself too. They always get something. I have no idea why yesterdays brocolli was so terrible though.

julesjoy

Visit site
Haha. Tonight I got the first excited squeaking when we'd finished dinner in the garden and they thought it was time for theirs (it was). So funny and cute!

I've also tried fleece bedding for 3 days and wasn't keen - much tidier than shavings kicked out everywhere during zoomies, but constantly felt wet on top.

ester

Visit site
Brilliant! we are doing hand noms now.
Millie (the nervier one) has taken to the 'in the box' method of catching/training much better than Tiffin!

I think people tend to use liners that wick it away from the top. I don't mind using it in the lounge run and I chuck it in a bucket every couple of weeks but thats more faff to me than skipping out the aubiose.

julesjoy

Visit site
Latest question - how on earth does one clean out the water bottles? My fingers are too big and I haven't yet found a brush that fits in at the right angles.

Hexx

Visit site
The girls are settling in well - just getting brave enough to come and see what's being put in the cage for dinner. They have their own run now, so are out everyday, apart from when its chucking it down with rain.

julesjoy

Visit site
Can definitely tell mine are youngsters. Despite a 5ft hutch, not going in the run yesterday due to rain all day, there was more chasing and aggro going on than usual by this morning. The patio is dry so I've put the run up there for them again to zoom about and get some energy off. Went out to give them cuddles last night and my partner came running out too to cuddle the other one and pick some mint for them, which they love. So unbelievably cute watching them crunch a big leaf in. I might have squee'd a bit.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
they are very lucky piggies, wish i had a bit more room and my terrier wasnt keen on little furry people....i would love to have piggies again....

Hexx

Visit site
JulesJoy - where did you get your little piggie houses from?

I have just upgraded the boy's indoor cage to a 1.6m one which has caused WW3 as they are scrapping for ownership! Poor Patch got bitten hard enough to draw blood, so Lionel was sent to bed for the afternoon to consider his actions!

PS - I improvised with a small bucket and added a second hideway in the cage so they have their own hidey spaces now.

julesjoy

Visit site
The castle was off ebay, i asked them to add another door on the side nearest the ramp so nobody can get stuck inside. The box is an small upside down storage crate from IKEA with a slat taken out and the handles turned round for an arch on each end so it's a bit like a tunnel. Hoping the light paint will keep them cooler.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Love these photos! I’d love a pig but remember as a child my mums friend has loads, hundreds as I remember but I bet it wasn’t at all ?
I was so allergic, Ive not really come into close contact with one since so no idea if I still am but if not want the risk of getting one and not being able to interact with it!

Hexx

Visit site
Chaos has broken out in the Hexx pig household - resulting in Patch only having half an ear left!! Bad Lionel has been banished to a separate cage for a long time out. I will see if I can reintroduce them in a couple of days.

I think Bad Lionel (his new name) has just reached puberty as he's hit the 10-month old mark and his testicles have made an appearance - they are an impressive set!

Hopefully I can get them back together again.

julesjoy

Visit site
Oh dear Hexx, not ideal! Lucky you had another cage. How are the girls doing?

Another afternoon on the patio for mine, and a treat if our leftover watermelon rind when they went back in their hutch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200618_190318.jpg
    Screenshot_20200618_190318.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 1