Pit Bulls kill cancer childs pony

reynold

Visit site
Cancer kid's pony killed by pit bulls

October 26, 2007

A miniature horse given to a three-year-old Texas boy with malignant brain cancer was killed this week by a pair of pit bull dogs.
The horse, named Anniversary, was 31 inches (78cm) tall, and was donated to Christian Vasquez two months ago by the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Christian was diagnosed in January with medulloblastoma.

Christian's father, Raul, found Anniversary lying in the family's fenced yard on Monday when he went to feed the family's two horses. Before he could check Anniversary, the two pit bulls turned on him, forcing him up a tree. He rang emergency services from his cellphone.

The owner of the dogs contacted authorities on Wednesday, and the dogs have since been euthanised.

Christian only received Anniversary in August, and he came with feed, training and veterinary care. He cost the foundation $US1300. The foundation had received many calls from the public with offers of money and ponies for Christian.

Christian turns four on November 11.

The foundation said a replacement for Anniversary is on his way from a breeder in Utah. The spotted miniature horse is expected to arrive next week.

kerilli

Visit site
jeeez. i suppose we should be glad they killed the pony and not the poor kid, tbh.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Sarah1

Visit site
Oh my god! That is absolutely appaling! That poor horse - he must've been absolutely terrified and the poor little boy. I hate to read things like this, it's just so upsetting.
frown.gif

I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons here and probably get shouted down but it's my opinion so I'm entitled to voice it but I really think there should be stricter rules for owners (if they must indeed own these fighting dogs) of these pit bull type dogs! I know that they get alot of bad press and I know a couple of Staffy's which are lovely but on the whole they're dangerous and I don't know if I could ever truly trust one.
More & more cases of people (& other animals) are being reported and in almost every instance it's a pit bull or similar jaw-locking breed that's the culprit.
Isn't it time something was done about it?

Onyxia

Visit site
It's been done 101 times on here, but it isnt the dog it's the owners.
OH has a "friend"(I call him OH's pet chav) who has no idear what to do with a dog.He think you "need to dominate them,show them who is boss",his way of doing that is to give it "a good kicking" everyday.
Pick a breed, from any one litter and give me and him a pup.Will bet my life mine will be fine,a fun friendly family pet his would be PTS as agresive by a year old.

Would also love to see tighter restrictions on who owns dogs, any breed of dog for the dogs sake.Cant see how to police it though
frown.gif

kerilli

Visit site
i know that in most cases it is the owners, but some dogs are totally unpredictable and have that killer instinct that gets triggered very erratically. i've read so many times of certain breeds that have suddenly attacked for no reason. any dog will bite when provoked, but we're talking about attack-and-not-let-go dogs.
i am also very proud of my dogs' temperaments, having turned around a few rescue dogs etc until they've become soppy, but there are certain breeds that i would never trust, no matter how long i'd had them and how soppy and good they might seem, and pit bulls are top of that list.

WelshRareBit

Visit site
I believe every dog has the killer instinct Kerilli, from terrier to collie and GSD to jack russel. They are all decendants of the wolf after all.
At the end of the day it just differs what it is they CAN kill. Again its the owners, its no-one elses fault, not the dogs certainly. I know people who keep 'dangerous' breeds and are brilliant owners and trainers and the dogs are model citizens and I know people who keep 'toy' lapdogs who would bite and maim a child if they had the chance. Im saying this too often lately but:
another blight for the breed once again caused by human error. The title of this post should read...

Useless, stupid IDIOT owner kills cancer childs pony.

kerilli

Visit site
it's strange that it seems to be the same few breeds of dog again and again though. i agree that all breeds of dog can kill, but most don't go that far with children, miniature ponies, etc. thank the lord.
my pack of j.r.t.s are all killers if you happen to be a rat or mouse, but wouldn't take anything else on!

jesterfaerie

Visit site
That is really sad, the poor pony and child.
Shame he had to come to such a brutle end, but it is very nice people are offering donations and another pony has been found for him.

severnmiles

Visit site
Its not on the whole that they're dangerous its the damn owners they end up with! Its like all the bad press idiots give wolfdogs in some states in America yet figure for figure you're twice as likely to get bitten by a labrador.

Shame there's not a rule that bans all idiotic chavs from owning APBT's. Prose can vouch for the breed when owned by responsible dog owners.

They don't bite like a normal dog which is why they cause the injuries they do. Its not that they're anymore aggressive but its the amount of damage they do because they dig their jaw in and just rip and they also don't give up but then most terriers don't either just they don't inflict the same injuries because of the way they bite and they don't have the power behind them. Yes they're capable of killing, thats been proven but its the goading and treatment that makes them flip.

I've met APBT 3/4 and 1st crosses (not in the UK) and they're far from the sharks the press make them out to be. There are no bad dogs only bad owners.

As for not trusting one, I'd never trust any dog not even mums 12" JRT because they all have a set of teeth in their jaws!

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
agreed. it's like having a couple of great white sharks as pets, or something. well, i hope you know what i mean. unpredictable killers masquerading as cuddly pets. poor pony.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any dog can kill so in your opinion perhaps none of us should own dogs.

Its the way they are brought up that reflects this sort of behaviour you only have to look at the Ellie case to see that. Brother doing drugs and dealing wanted a hard dog as protection, goads it and look what happens.

P.s...like the siggy, new mare looks very laid back!

severnmiles

Visit site
Exactly Anima. You remember the labrador my sister rescued, he'd been beaten and kicked and locked in a pub cellar for a week because he needed to know who was boss, was once kicked so hard people in the pub heard. He has serious problems, he put his claws in the leather of my sis Range Rover (he was supposed to sit in the back like the springer) mum went to push his feet down and he went for her, look at him the wrong way and he'll snap. All caused by some idiot!

JM07

Visit site
would this have made the news if the pony wasn't owned by a cancer patient???

i doubt it.

crap happens all over this putrid world of ours........

if, buts and maybes dont cover it..............

kerilli

Visit site
i know there are lots of idiot owners around, what i meant was that certain breeds are like having a shark around, and i really believe that.
if i had a pit bull puppy from birth i would still never trust it, and i am very good at turning dogs into soppy mutts.
there's a difference between dogs that bite, and dogs that savage, imho, and this is in the top 2 of breeds that savage.
frown.gif
frown.gif

new mare is chilling, thanks! she's really coming on and is a lovely person, bless her.

Tia

Visit site
Pit Bulls are not like any dog though. Their whole genetic makeup is not comparable to most other dogs.

As I've said loads of times, all of the Pit Bulls I've met have been nice dogs, however you cannot just put a blanket statement that the dogs which do awful damage such as this is down solely to the owners because that is not always true. Pit Bulls function in a totally different way to most pet dogs.

kerilli

Visit site
thankyou Tia, that is what i was trying to say.
i think there's a few other breeds that are borderline, but pit bulls are a very special case.
it is very unusual for dogs of nearly every other breed known to man to savage children etc to death. it always seems to be pit bulls and, in some cases, rottweilers.
sorry, i know there are loving, loveable examples of each, but that's just how i see it. i'm not condemning the dogs, just saying that extra special care needs to be taken with those breeds. maybe there should be an extra special licence required to own them, proof of good dogmanship or something.

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
it's strange that it seems to be the same few breeds of dog again and again though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very simple answer to that- the press are only interisted in reporting about the same few breed's.

Say this attack was a pair of Danes and the pony diddnt belong to a child with cancer,do you really think it would have made the news?
Would a terrier killing say, the pet rabbit of a child with cancer made the news?
Sickening to say, but do you think the second Rottie attack that got a lot of press coverage earlier this year have made the news IF it hadnt followed the death of a baby by dogs of the same breed?

As SM said, wolf crosses have a very bad and unfair rep but you are more likely to be biten by a lab.That would NEVER make the news.

I do belive some dogs are "born bad" BUT that is te result of careless backyard breeders letting their bitch have pups for the cash,not the love of the dogs.
Like you I have a fair amount of experianc with rescue dogs(real rescues, seems everything that is rehomed is a rescue now) and although 99% of them turned into the most loving soppy things alive, the pain the went through is still there.
Push the right buttons and they will flip.
If a dog is still with the owner who caused the problem,it will flip much faster.

severnmiles

Visit site
I disagree, take a look around a bull rescue center and meet some. You also cannot put a blanket statement that all APBT's are killing machines.

Just as you cannot put a blanket statement that all TB's are sharp and difficult or all cobs are quiet (OH's is quite the nutcase!). Or all wolves are killers.

I will agree that they do more damage because of the shape of their jaw and the way they bite, I'll also agree that when they flip they flip, many would rather die than give up fighting what they're fighting but it is the owners and the hands they are falling into that are causing the bad press.

Onyxia

Visit site
Ahhh yes,remember it well!
How is your sister getting along with the lab now?Hope they are both well
laugh.gif

Glad you brought up Wolf crosses,must remember to ask my friend for permission to show you a pic of his lad(RIP A
frown.gif
).
Was the most fab dog alive,broke his heart when he was PTS(for medical reasons,before anyone sugests something!).

kerilli

Visit site
umm, you can do that kind of generalisation more with dogs though. all retrievers have the retrieving instinct (my rescue golden retriever was only ever calm when he had a slipper or something in his mouth!). all terriers will hunt rats and dig, given a bit of encouragement. all pointers will point!
a dog that has been bred for generations to be a very sharp attack/guard dog will always have the tendency to that behaviour. i would no more recommend a pure bred t.b. as an r.d.a. horse, over say a highland (and i have experience of this) - but i'm sure someone's going to have exceptions to both! - than i'd say a pit bull is a suitable pet, any more than a tiger is.
anyway, i think this one could run and run... sorry everyone, i'm off to bed. nitenite.

Onyxia

Visit site
Well, I do agree there are breeds that are more suitable as family pets then APBT's I dont belive for a second that a good example is UNsuitable.
Agree to disagree?

Night night
smile.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
Would love to see a pic!

Oh he hasn't really improved
frown.gif
Vet suggested putting him down. The thing is my sister isn't very doggy-y (new word!) and he plays on her fear, he won't give her a ball but you have to be confident with him and he gives it to me ok. He's stayed with her ex as she wanted him to be stable and moving him and leaving the springers wouldn't have been a very good idea.

She wants an Inuit now but she's got to buy a place before she has one.

severnmiles

Visit site
I disagree again.

How many Gyspsy cobs run the grand national? How many TB's pull a cart?

TB's are good at running fast, warmbloods are good at moving and jumping, Shires are good at pulling things BUT it doesn't mean every TB will want to run, every warmblood will want to jump and every Shire will be good infront of a cart. Just as it doesn't mean every APBT will bite/savage/kill.