Please give your horse the benefit of the doubt - Muffin update

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am sad to hear this I am another who finds this sort situation with a young horse very hard .
I can manage old pals who have a level of performance and I can get them to jolly along enjoying life doing a little of what they like I can do that .
But young ones that are never going to what you want No I can’t do that .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I am sad to hear this I am another who finds this sort situation with a young horse very hard .
I can manage old pals who have a level of performance and I can get them to jolly along enjoying life doing a little of what they like I can do that .
But young ones that are never going to what you want No I can’t do that .

Thank you GS, that helps more than you know.

LiquidMetal

Visit site
I can't deal with this situation either. It's also impossible to ride through any resistance without an exhausting mental dilemma about whether you're being kind or cruel.
This is ultimately what led me to retire and PTS my 12 year old ISH. He had bilateral coffin joint arthritis diagnosed through xrays. I suspect he also had an SI injury in his past as well as likely neck arthritis (he also did head tilt thing). I already tend to be anxious and obsessive over my horse’s health and happiness and worrying about every little thing he did was too much for me. Injections did not help as much as we hoped (likely due to everything else he had going on) and I knew I could never enjoy riding him again.

gunnergundog

Visit site
It's a really hard one....personally I struggle to work a horse that feels 'off', even though I know the sympathetic work that I am giving it will benefit it's musculature which will in turn help with the skeletal problems it has. Alternatively, I know that if I back right off and just hack, then the musculature atrophies at an even faster rate and the muscles that were compensating for and holding other parts in place will fail to do so and the initial problems will become more severe....and so the downward spiral continues. You're between a rock and a hard place. Yes, injections can help short term, but become less and less effective over time. Building correct posture is the one thing that has helped mine.....working from the foot (balance) up and the body down. For me, loans are a no-no......did it once....NEVER AGAIN. Every instruction/bit of advice I gave was ignored.....horse came back after 8 weeks and then stayed with me for the next 15 years.

Such horses can be a drain....emotionally and financially. :( Look after yourself as well as the horse.

ycbm

Visit site
It's a really hard one....personally I struggle to work a horse that feels 'off', even though I know the sympathetic work that I am giving it will benefit it's musculature which will in turn help with the skeletal problems it has. Alternatively, I know that if I back right off and just hack, then the musculature atrophies at an even faster rate and the muscles that were compensating for and holding other parts in place will fail to do so and the initial problems will become more severe....and so the downward spiral continues. You're between a rock and a hard place. Yes, injections can help short term, but become less and less effective over time. Building correct posture is the one thing that has helped mine.....working from the foot (balance) up and the body down. For me, loans are a no-no......did it once....NEVER AGAIN. Every instruction/bit of advice I gave was ignored.....horse came back after 8 weeks and then stayed with me for the next 15 years.

Such horses can be a drain....emotionally and financially. :( Look after yourself as well as the horse.

Spot on GGD, thankyou.

ycbm

Visit site
This is ultimately what led me to retire and PTS my 12 year old ISH. He had bilateral coffin joint arthritis diagnosed through xrays. I suspect he also had an SI injury in his past as well as likely neck arthritis (he also did head tilt thing). I already tend to be anxious and obsessive over my horse’s health and happiness and worrying about every little thing he did was too much for me. Injections did not help as much as we hoped (likely due to everything else he had going on) and I knew I could never enjoy riding him again.

Vet isn't even suggesting injections, the damage is too widespread and she thinks it won't last long if we do it. I would do them if it would buy him years, but it won't.

I have a friend with a 7 year old with 1 vertebrae affected and they lasted less than 6 months the first time (had shockwave too) and have failed completely the second time.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it really helps.

Last edited:

Ceriann

Visit site
My current ridden mare is 12, beautifully schooled and an amazing temperament. I worship her but her diagnosis 14 months ago (medial branch injury left hind, psd left front, feet issues) and prognosis for return to full work mean I tread around riding her on eggshells. Every session (mainly hacking) is analysed and I obsess about her movement and gait. It sounds like I don’t get any pleasure from her - I do - the riding is fine it’s the pre and post mortems. I watch every turnout and bring in for a sign she’s struggling again. We’ve adapted (hack loads) and adjusted expectations. She’s happy as Larry though and cared for - I would never loan her out for all the reasons you’ve said (and I’d miss her)!

Carrottom

Visit site
If you are struggling with ridden exercises to keep the musculature strong could you devise a pattern of exercises on the ground that would have the same effect. For me it is easier if I am on the ground watching the horse (facial expression etc) than ridden.

Michen

Visit site
I take my hat off to you for keeping him in work to keep him strong and as able as possible, knowing his limitations and the end result. I don’t think I’d be selfless enough to do that except for a horse I was completely bonded to. It’s hard to ride a horse in that circumstance, easier for them to be a field ornament.

He is lucky to have ended up with you.

ponyparty

Visit site
Oh bloody hell ycbm. So sorry to read this. He is indeed a lucky horse to have you as his owner!

I know that feeling only too well, second guessing every trip or stumble, wondering if behaviours are signs of pain... I’ve a feeling I’m about to go down a similar route to you, with my boy, as you know. So sorry that it’s turned out this way. And goes to show (again!) to always trust your gut. We know our own horses best.

ycbm

Visit site
You guys are making me cry!

Thanks for all the support. I honestly don't know how long I can do it for when there is no future for him, but I'll see how it goes.

The irony is that he's never looked better, and when his head is in his comfortable place, he's never moved more freely. On the lunge over raised poles he's like a ballet dancer. It's a bummer, that's for sure.

Jules111

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear this. I often think it's a curse to be so aware of how our horses are feeling and being sensitive to any indication they are in pain. I see far too many horses being ridden, jumped, competed when they are obviously lame and suffering. When you sense there is something wrong with your own, despite professionals being oblivious to the problem it would be far easier to just kick on. Your horse will be very grateful that you challenge and push to understand if your horse is suffering. The equine world would be a far better place if everybody put the comfort and safety of their horse before their own wishes and ambitions.

I admire you for ignoring the easy answer and fighting on your horses behalf to understand the truth. Very best of luck for keeping your boy happier for far longer than many owners would. You deserve a big hug from the horsey world and a very large glass of wine to help you deal with your new worries. xxx

Cragrat

Visit site
and since that he's going better than ever. He was galloping flat out up and down the hill last week, and he looks great, you'd never know what's going on in there.

I am so sorry to hear about Muffin, but he is truly lucky to have you looking out for him.

I really think you have said something VERY important in this post. He is looking/moving better than ever, because of the work you have been giving him. i know arthritis is sadly degenerative, but in my opinion the best think you can do for him is to crack as you have, but just with the added awareness of his issues. Most arthritic people i know say they feel better once moving, and i am sure he is the same. As you have said, he needs his strong muscles to help hold him together. Hacking may be easier and fun for him, but schooling will enable him to enjoy it for longer.

I am another who admires you for your insight and integrity in your horsemanship.

eahotson

Visit site
A lot of you know that I have had a 9 year old TB who was bred and trained to hurdle for about a year and a half. I've had a gut feel for a while that the minor issues he had with schooling had an underlying cause. Vet said he was fine. Physio said he was fine. Trainer said he was fine. Multiple experienced horse owners said he was fine and 'just a thoroughbred'. My gut said he wasn't fine.

So I took him for neck and back x rays this morning. The resullt is no big surprise to me, and I would have been more shocked if there was nothing. They are disappointingly bad, though. He has x rays showing severe arthritic changes at the facets of C4/5, 5/6 and 6/7 at the base of the neck and associated kissing spine behind the wither.

This is the second horse I've had where multiple people have told me that the issues were behavioural. I dread to think how many other long suffering and good natured creatures there are who are not being given the benefit of the doubt :(

My plan is to nurse him along on Devil's Claw/boswellia/MSM doing what arena work he can do easily, and hacking, which he seems to have no problem with, until he isn't coping. The vet confirmed my thoughts that injections won't last, if they even help, and we will simply end up repeating them at increasingly frequent intervals. No other treatment seems appropriate given the amount of damage found. He can't tolerate Bute, it gives him ulcers. He can't be retired, he needs work to keep his back and chest muscles strong. The vet told me this but I saw the result of laying him off when I bought him, it was appalling back atrophy, and probably when the kissing spines happened.

When he doesn't seem happy any more, I will do the right thing by him.

Quite sad right now, but glad I know what his issues are.

Very sorry.

BlackRider

Visit site
Just read the whole thread - I'm so sorry, you must be devasted after everything you've done for him.

He's very lucky to have such a good owner and an ideal set up.

Enjoy the time you have with him xx

PS - Maximo Equestrian are quite reasonable for rugs, its a shame 5'9 is too small as I've got one I need to sell.

palo1

Visit site
Very sorry ycbm. One of the saddest things I have had to do is PTS a lovely 5 year old that I had not owned long. He was badly damaged and I hung on in there helping him with medication etc until he started to lose weight, struggle with having rugs done etc. I had found it incredibly difficult looking after him knowing that we would not be going forwards but he was happy enough and I had just lost another, much loved horse too so didn't have the heart to PTS two within 2 weeks (at initial diagnosis). One of the saddest tasks was to say goodbye to such a beautiful, gentle young horse but it was a huge relief in all honesty. I could not have kept him going for long, knowing what I did about his diagnosis and I was glad that he had started to show those difficulties in a way that allowed me to take the action that was, in any case, inevitable. So sad - it is still something that I can cry about even having lost very much loved horses that I have owned for years; at least they had had a good long life.

Floofball

Visit site
So sorry it’s not better news for you and Muffin. You say you got him as you needed a companion and hack and it sounds like he’s currently filling that role with the added bonus of being very pretty and sweet natured. He’s very lucky to be with you and you now know exactly what his limitations will be so hopefully you will get to enjoy him for a long time before any really sad decisions need to be made ?? worry about things as they happen (winter is a while off hopefully!) and try not to think too much about what ’might’ be. You’ve proved to yourself your gut instinct is working well so trust it ??
Are there any photos of Muffin on here? He sounds lovely ?

ycbm

Visit site
Further update on Muffin is endless bad news. The heat is affecting him badly, and it's now clear that what I thought early in May, when it was also hot, was seasonal pollen was in fact this arthritis. He has been spending a lot of his time doing this, which looks sweet but he is actually hanging his head on a six foot barn door so his neck doesn't have to take the weight. This is new behaviour. Obviously he can't be worked, and already his back is sinking.

I have doubled his dose of Devils claw, because it doesn't matter a jot now if his liver copes or not. I should have received boswellia yesterday but it isn't here yet. When it is i will feed him that too. I am looking for a short term companion loan horse or a horse to buy, and as soon as I have found one, Muffin will be going to a place where he can never be in pain again.

I am still reeling. I took him for some exploratory x rays fully expecting a minor issue with C6/7, and came back with a death warrant.

20200526_151445.jpg

View

Visit site
I'm so sorry to read this.

If it helps, my left ankle is currently the stiffest and most painful it has been in a long time. I have no idea why - it's normally the cold that has me reaching for the paracetamol, not heat.

You'll do the right thing by Muffin.