Please give your horse the benefit of the doubt - Muffin update

Flicker

Visit site
ycbm, I am so sorry to hear your sad news. You were very supportive to me when I lost my mare late last year and I remember some of your observations about behavioural issues having a pain source 99.9% of the time. I am so sad for you that this has yet again been the case that proves the rule. Your horse is bloody lucky to have found himself in a home that will do right by him and I do hope that you can find a way to keep him comfortable enough for you to both enjoy each other for as long as possible.

Smitty

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear this. I often think it's a curse to be so aware of how our horses are feeling and being sensitive to any indication they are in pain. I see far too many horses being ridden, jumped, competed when they are obviously lame and suffering. When you sense there is something wrong with your own, despite professionals being oblivious to the problem it would be far easier to just kick on. Your horse will be very grateful that you challenge and push to understand if your horse is suffering. The equine world would be a far better place if everybody put the comfort and safety of their horse before their own wishes and ambitions.

I admire you for ignoring the easy answer and fighting on your horses behalf to understand the truth. Very best of luck for keeping your boy happier for far longer than many owners would. You deserve a big hug from the horsey world and a very large glass of wine to help you deal with your new worries. xxx

How many times can I 'like' this?

I have been told to jam my spurs in (tendenovitis) and "just young and weak, work it through it" (wobbler, and very badly) by vets.

Home bred 6 yo I knew well not forward, Instructor has said nothing wrong, despite a vet saying stifles, then another vet said stifles and spavin.

A friend had an instructor (very well thought of around here) saying nothing wrong with horse, give it a wallop. Nail in foot ...

Flicker

Visit site
How many times can I 'like' this?

I have been told to jam my spurs in (tendenovitis) and "just young and weak, work it through it" (wobbler, and very badly) by vets.

Home bred 6 yo I knew well not forward, Instructor has said nothing wrong, despite a vet saying stifles, then another vet said stifles and spavin.

A friend had an instructor (very well thought of around here) saying nothing wrong with horse, give it a wallop. Nail in foot ...

Argh so sad. The number of times I have heard ‘just ride him through it’ when the horse is so obviously in pain!

SEL

Visit site
My dodgy joints are swollen in this heat too. Arthritis is tough - too hot, too cold and joints hurt. FWIW I think you're making a very selfless decision and he's lucky to have you.

Brownmare

Visit site
Strangely, it really helps to hear people say that their arthritis is worse in hot weather. It's not what I expected.

My FIL was telling my husband yesterday how bad his arthritis is at the moment. It is usually cold, damp weather that gets him too so God knows what is going on at the moment!

I'm so sorry to hear Muffin is struggling so much, he is lucky to have an owner who is willing to make the right call before his life becomes unbearable.

Floofball

Visit site
Sorry to read your update, such a sad situation for you both. I wonder if he can sense somehow that you know he’s not good so he’s not worried to show you, doesn’t have to be stoic anymore. I see it as a testament to the trust he has in you. Boswelia was the only thing that made a difference to my arthritic lad, he too had injuries at an early age. I ended up using Feedmark’s Activet, you could really see the difference - especially if I ran out! You know your going to do right by him so try to enjoy the here and now, with him and horse hunting ?

Reacher

Visit site
Very sorry about Muffin’s diagnosis and for the heartache you are going through. Out of interest why Boswellia rather than eg bute? Is it more effective for this type of pain?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Very sorry about Muffin’s diagnosis and for the heartache you are going through. Out of interest why Boswellia rather than eg bute? Is it more effective for this type of pain?

He can't take bute. He starts kicking his stomach within days of starting it.

ponyparty

Visit site
Oh ycbm, I’m so sorry that it’s getting to this stage already. Nothing to add that others haven’t already said; he really is lucky to have you as his owner, picking up on his discomfort early and being brave enough to make the right decision. My thoughts are with you.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I've just seen this and I'm so sorry :( He is a very lucky boy to have you in his life.

I hope the heat eases soon and he feels more comfortable.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Muffin has been coping very badly with the heat. The boswellia is not doing anything that doubling the Devils claw didn't do. He has reduced the amount he is hanging his head on the door, but he has begun to sleep with his bottom rocked back against a wall. Today he threatened to bite me when I went to touch the front of his neck. He has never done anything like that before.

I have bought a horse today, a breed I have wanted for many years, and she arrives on Monday afternoon. Muffin will be leaving on Monday morning. In a stroke of bittersweet irony, I found her at a nearby riding school who I contacted to try and borrow a companion horse.

I don't know how this happened so quickly. He was doing the best work he's ever done until the heat arrived in May. I mistook the headshaking when it started for a pollen allergy, but of course it's now clear it wasn't.

I could prolong this and try to find a way to get him through this hot spell, but there's only one way this is ever going to end and it's killing me to keep looking in the face of a horse I know I'm going to have to have put down. For both our sakes I made the appointment this morning.

I'm in pieces every time I think about it, but it helps to know how many people on here will be thinking of us on Monday. And to know that a beautiful creature can never be in pain again.

Boulty

Visit site
So so sorry that things have moved so quickly. He doesn't know that he might have had a few more months had the weather been different, he only knows he's not comfortable & you can't do anything more than you are doing to try & help with that. It's the hardest thing to do but also the kindest x

ponyparty

Visit site
So sorry ycbm. It’ll say it again, he’s a lucky boy to have you as his owner. Hope he stays as comfortable as possible today and tomorrow; and that you can take some comfort in spoiling him rotten before letting him go. Will be thinking of you tomorrow ?