Please help if you can

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Sorry this is an essay, but has to be for you to assess the problem I am having and hopefully come up with some idea to stop my dog having to be PTS. If you have any experience with dog training run aways, and can find time to read at some point, I will be very grateful for your input.

Some of you might remember that last year after the sudden loss of our young labrador and our aged Patterdale I was very lucky to be offered a very well bred 3 year old show lab who apparently 'took a strong dislike to showing', we have since worked out she probably bit the judge when manhandled, or something similar. She is not your typical laid back friendly lab except with us. An absolute big softy with us but very, very protective of all 4 adult members that live here at home, we do have to monitor very carefully that anyone walking past our home, yard and grazing fields in particular remain safe from her very over enthusiastic tendency to go into attack mode if she so much as spots a non family member on our boundary lines. But thats all under control, she is beautifully trained and we have no problem with her, particularly as we are very remote so do not have too many people around and about fortunately.

Coming from a breeder, she was at least kept in the company of 6 to 7 other labs at all times. She did seem to miss the company earlier on, and we do like to keep at least two dogs as a personal opinion that it is a more natural way to keep dogs. So once again I was very luckily offered (from another source altogether) a working trials bred lab of the same age. The elderly man we got her from claimed to be rehoming her because he now travels abroad a lot visiting various children scattered throughout the world. He also had her one and only pup she bred that was then 9 months old, he was keeping him as a son would take care of one dog for him when away, but not two. So we got the beautiful and very affectionate little bitch and we were delighted. She did have a very old and tatty leather collar on that was obviously being worn 24/7 with her ID disc. Owner did warn us at the handover, to keep her on a lead for first couple of weeks in case she made a run for it. Stupidly that did not ring any alarm bells and is what we would have done anyway with any new adult dog until we were sure of its recall etc. etc.

Within 6 weeks of having her it became very obvious Jessie (the little new dog) had the highest hunt drive I have ever witnessed, even against a terrier when its ratting she would stand out as very driven indeed. She killed 3 rats within the first 3 months of owning her, no problem with that, in fact a huge bonus! Her recall was non existent when off the lead in our yard or fields, if she picks up a scent she is gone and by gone I mean very high speed nose down and ploughing through any and every hedgerow or fencing there is. Once we had to clamber across ditches and streams to untangle her body harness from a neighbouring farmers sheep wire when we tracked her down by her yelps of distress. At this point, in view of the fact that we are surrounded by sheep and lambs, cows with calves etc. we knew if she escaped like this on a regular basis it would only be a matter of time until she was shot by some landowner in the vicinity. Another time she literally snapped the join on a very expensive extender lead and it took us hours to retrieve her. We tried many training methods, bearing in mind I did train collies for competition many years back, and also helping people to retrain dogs that had picked up issues along the way. So I am not a complete numpty with training out problem dogs. This one had me beat and broken hearted at her future safety. Before picking up a scent she was polite to lead, good to recall....but once that nose twitched that was the end of any hope of breaking through to her - she shut out any and all methods to keep her attention on you.

By then it was obvious she cannot be trusted off lead at all and non of us were prepared to keep a dog under those conditions, being restrained anytime she was outside, even up at the house. As I am now totally out of action for any heavy work for at least a year, and OH is now 80 and not in great health, one of our sons has very kindly spent a huge amount of brawn and expense creating for her a dog proof third to half an acre paddock by the house, that she and her pal Jem can play in all day long, hunting in the undergrowth, enjoying playtime with us with toys, retrieve etc. etc. so a good percentage of her day was now filled with at liberty hours of fun. She did spend the first couple of days hunting every boundary searching for an escape route but once she gave up she settled to the confines and was very happy with that, and she was still getting exercise down with the horses and around our fields but NEVER off lead outside her dog paddock.

Well within 3 weeks she scaled the 5 foot high fence to chase a neighbours cat all the way back to his yard, including ploughing through a hedge of tight packed Rosa Ragosa and barbed wire wound in and out of a hedge. She has no self preservation instinct, once she is hunting her brain totally shuts down. Luckily he was out that day and the poor cat managed to squeeze into a very low space under a pallet and my son caught her and brought her home again.

So once again my son increased the height of fence running a strip of electric tape along the top, hoping if she did try to scale the perimeter again the zap might deter her, unlikely but possible. Well all has seemed great for months now, she will scream hysterically with frustration is she picks up a trail in the paddock and cannot get further than the fence line. But lack of random long and fast hunts she has toned the hunt instinct down somewhat.

Last evening when out for their usual last toilet break before bedtime I took them out into the paddock for a bit of playtime etc. Suddenly she picked up a scent and to my horror she yet again scaled the fence, obviously would have got zapped, and pretty sure she did as she yelped as she went over the top. Well an hour or so later in rapidly declining light we spotted her way over in the distance circling some cows and calves I do not think she was worrying them, merely circumventing a safe way through their field, but had the farmer seen her he would not have given her intentions a thought and would have shot her regardless. Luckily my sons were able to sprint through the various fields to reach her and when close enough she did very surprisingly respond instantly to the whistle and ran straight to them and sat wagging her tail furiously and absolutely delighted to see them like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth.

This morning the rest of the family have decided yet again, they are going to build a second inner fence line, in the hope even if she scales this new inner fence she will then momentarily be caught in no mans land between the two fences and it might just give her pause for thought about continuing her escape.

So far so good...BUT and this is the heartbreaker for me, if this final attempt does not work then as much as they are also heartbroken they have taken the unilateral decision that the only kind and correct option is to have her PTS. It is now more than obvious that she will very quickly, if this continues, be shot anyway by neighbours protecting their livestock, and of course I cannot blame them for that being a rural dweller all my life. I have to reluctantly agree that this is probably her last chance, and it is very possibly why she was needing to be rehomed when we got her. I have also tracked down video of her being field trialed by her old owner , although he completely denies she was ever used as a working dog at all and was just his family pet! Our best guess is by 3 she had proven to be a runner, totally throwing aside any training, and would not recall as obviously totally zones out when on the scent of pretty much anything.

A friend who does field trials has also watched and worked her in the safety of her paddock and confirmed he is certain she has been worked previously, and that if she went rogue on a regular basis, she would more often than not be shot by him and other people engaged in this sport, and he personally would not have even bred from her in case he was breeding a litter with the inbuilt propensity to become a runner. Harsh but that is the reality here in rural Ireland, working dogs for the most part have to do the job they are bred for or thats the end for the poor dog. A few lucky ones get rehomed, as happened to us with little Jess.

My stance at the moment is I will not have her PTS full stop, whatever the rest of the family that lives here might say. I adore this little monkey but as they point out, a dog never, ever allowed to even wander its own home open space without a lead on is a very sorry life for any dog and borders on outright cruelty. For instance, OH went to pop them both out the back paddock for a bit of a run around to suddenly remember she will have to have her harness and lead on yet again, just to do have a quick toilet etc.

ANY ideas that I have not already tried please, please share them as it is rapidly becoming a very grim outlook for my lovely little Jessie. I am just heartbroken here knowing this is her last chance and pretty sure she will just scale the second fence too. Oh and we have tried shock collar lent by friend, hate the damn things, but we were desperate but she even ran through that until well out of range anyway. ?

paddy555

Visit site
I'm sorry about your problems. There must be a limit as to what she can scale. Have you considered running another length of fencing around the top but angling it inwards. It is easy to scale an upright fence but not so much an angled one.

Koweyka

Visit site
Hi, one of my dogs is a “Houdini” dog, she was scaling five foot fences as a puppy, it was horrendous trying to keep her safely contained, I don’t know how feasible it is for you, but we did as the poster above suggested and angled a fence so the fence was basically an L shape, we added brackets to the existing fencing and then laid Stock fencing over the brackets, she never managed to escape again.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
MrsJ I can't help with the dog stuff but just wanted to note that if she is off the floor/jumping when she hits the electric she probably won't get a shock as she isn't earthed.
(As we would discover when we forgot and stroked the cat on top of our fence)

Sandstone1

Visit site
I was going to suggest a inward top to the fence too, also never use a extending lead, they are dangerous. Use a long line instead. It sounds like you have done everything else possible to help her.

satinbaze

Visit site
If she was competing in or training for working trials then she will have been taught to do a 6ft scale jump. You would need to make a fence much higher to stop her attempting to scale and angle the top as already suggested.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
MrsJ I can't help with the dog stuff but just wanted to note that if she is off the floor/jumping when she hits the electric she probably won't get a shock as she isn't earthed.
(As we would discover when we forgot and stroked the cat on top of our fence)
I bet the cat won't forget, either!

I second the inner cant on top of the perimeter fence, but it has to be without a break. If you can be bothered, a low inner electric fence to foil the take off.

Is there some sort of 'straight-jacket type of thing to prevent the speed - like a muzzle can prevent biting?

Or get her VERY VERY fat

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
As above. ^^^^
View attachment 74209I had a red setter that scaled 6’ fence and a collie that climbed 5’.
The only thing that we found that worked was an overhang at the top of the fence.
The photo isn’t our fence, just an example

This is what I would do and I would, as zoos do, run an electric fence wire along the edge. We had a Lab bitch who saw fences as a challenge to be met. When we finally managed to contain her, she amused herself by hiding and watching us search for her. On one memorable occasion, she must have been under mt parents' bed for about an hour while sister and I scoured the village looking for her. We found her because she gave herself away by wagging her tail against the floor. I swear she was laughing! She was one of the cleverest dogs I have ever known.

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your predicament, I can well imagine your distress and sincerely hope you find a solution. I don't know if this company ships to your country but I've read good things about the success of coyote rollers, it may be worth a look, or perhaps your family could construct something similar. Best of luck to you.

https://coyoteroller.com

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Firstly thank you all so much for your ideas. I will answer best I can.

The last two lines added of electric fencing at the top were angled inwards but only by a foot or so and has increased the height of the fence to approx. 6 foot at its highest point. I agree as off the ground she probably did not get a shock, but she did get one hind leg entangled in the inner tape line enough to stretch and break some of the metal strands in the tape, so it is more likely she yelped at that. Plus there is a lower level of live electric tape about 18 inches high to help discourage her away from trying to climb the fence, that she could well have zapped herself with as she scaled the lower part of the fence, it would have been very possible she would still have had rear legs on ground when that could have caught her briefly. to clarify, she did not jump as in clear the whole fence as a horse would, but more scrambled up and over it if you see what I mean?

When we inspected her more closely this morning she does have a few thorns, minor cuts etc but she almost definitely picked those up just ploughing through field perimeter in her way through to wherever she though she was going. This is not unusual for her - any escape has resulted in lots of minor damage that she appears totally unaware of.

The pictures with the very large overhang almost certainly the brackets would be too heavy for the fencing we have now installed to bear the weight to keep it sufficiently stable if you see what I mean? I really do not think my family would agree to yet another lot of huge expense of making another fence making an outer perimeter again that would be strong enough to use that sort of overhang. We are now on our third perimeter fencing project within the past 6 months, so patience from the menfolk is , understandably, wearing a little thin.

The area is simply too large to roof it and would be quite a large engineering feat to do so, and almost certainly more costly than we could afford. The area is between on third and half an acre, and to roof a small fenced area within that, to my mind, is still keeping her in a 'cage for the rest of her life and not acceptable, especially given her personality and agility and speed, to deprive her of an area to enable to naturally let of steam in this way would border on cruelty IMO, as much as constantly never allowed off lead either.

Sorry cant remember who mentioned it - but yes have gone through the whole long lead training before with all pups and we did also try with her before reverting to the extender lead. We have never found it dangerous with her, it is the wide taped hi viz XLarge Gorilla one - the only danger being when she was just so strong and determined she broke the damn thing and ran off yet again. In fairness, they did send a free replacement.

Just to add this is not a pure and simple recall or training issue at all. Within the paddock and house her recall is second to none and her obedience absolute, she is highly intelligent and has learned many, many new tricks and games since coming to us. But when that head goes up and the nose twitches she is in the equivalent of the red zone and is gone at the speed of a greyhound in whichever direction she has picked up the scent before you can blink an eye.

I love the let her get very very fat response that is a possibility lol! - she is super fit just now - but probably still try and drag her fat body up and over the barriers!

that coyote roller looks very interesting, I will look further into that - I am wondering if you could fairly easily instal something like that yourself using what materials we can buy here in Ireland.

I cant thank you all enough for suggestions, this is really breaking my heart now at the thought of the double fence with a small no mans land between both fences not working - do any of you think that might work as we are hoping it will?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
druid we have looked into the GPs - that will not stop her going and pick up of any sort here is not good and very patchy at best. Yes it would tell us which direction to go searching for her if the area is a good pick up spot, but the issue is she must not be allowed to get out at any distance whatsoever, she will be shot plain and simple. As explained we are deep within the heart of sheep and cattle country, there would be no warning shot or second chance.

druid

Visit site
druid we have looked into the GPs - that will not stop her going and pick up of any sort here is not good and very patchy at best. Yes it would tell us which direction to go searching for her if the area is a good pick up spot, but the issue is she must not be allowed to get out at any distance whatsoever, she will be shot plain and simple. As explained we are deep within the heart of sheep and cattle country, there would be no warning shot or second chance.

Mrs Jingle, I'm in Ireland too. The Garmin Astro collars will work here. Many HPR people use them.

Coyote rollers are easy enough to make with plumbing pipe and heavy duty tensioned wire. A turn in need not be very large just angled enough to stop her getting over the top. Even the 12-18" long pig tail stand offs for electric fence used to zip tie on a narrow roll of chicken wire will do it - not heavy.

You could also look at MacEoin in Kerry and their game pen roof netting it certainly is available for the size you mention. Pricey though.

Her attitude is very odd for a trialling/working Labrador. As you mention breeding from her seemed fool hardy

TRECtastic

Visit site
Can't offer any help re fencing your dog paddock but I have a beagle with a super strong scent drive that I can't let off the lead, he is the first dog I've ever had that can't be let off
He goes out for walks on his harness and long line and seems quite happy
The first time I tried him off lead ( he was a rescue that we had at 10 months old he got on a trail and disappeared at high speed, straight down a 10 foot drop into a river! No sense of preservation at all
He has a brilliant recall for obedience comps,he got to crufts obedience semi finals at discover dogs, but if he got onto a scent he would go
Luckily he's not a climber, so our 6 foot garden fence has contained him

Nicnac

Visit site
We had the fencing coming back on itself. Used tall metal posts which we bent and used green metal plastic covered fencing.

Vicks on her nose? (ETA that this is a facetious comment just in case anyone gets the ar*e!)

Hope you find a solution.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
thanks druid but we have definitely researched that tracker in particular as well as others and there is a very high probability that it will lose track on and off within the few miles around our property, and definitely will not stop her actually going which is what we are trying to achieve.. We lose phone, broadband and even sky on a regular interval...one company guaranteed they could give us a good reliable gps service until they actually came out and tried, they had to agree we were one of those difficult little pockets in rural Ireland they they could not help with.
Yes the roof netting would be beyond our means unfortunately.

yes our friend who breeds and works trial dogs agreed, it is very unusual, particularly as she is so beautifully trained most of the time...until the hunt instinct kicks in then she totally loses the plot. Not at all suitable for working or breeding, no wonder they got rid, surprised they didn't just shoot her! We suspect the chance to make a couple of hundred selling her to an eejit like me outweighed the response to shoot her. :confused:

paddy555

Visit site
Firstly thank you all so much for your ideas. I will answer best I can.

The last two lines added of electric fencing at the top were angled inwards but only by a foot or so and has increased the height of the fence to approx. 6 foot at its highest point. I agree as off the ground she probably did not get a shock, but she did get one hind leg entangled in the inner tape line enough to stretch and break some of the metal strands in the tape, so it is more likely she yelped at that. Plus there is a lower level of live electric tape about 18 inches high to help discourage her away from trying to climb the fence, that she could well have zapped herself with as she scaled the lower part of the fence, it would have been very possible she would still have had rear legs on ground when that could have caught her briefly. to clarify, she did not jump as in clear the whole fence as a horse would, but more scrambled up and over it if you see what I mean?

When we inspected her more closely this morning she does have a few thorns, minor cuts etc but she almost definitely picked those up just ploughing through field perimeter in her way through to wherever she though she was going. This is not unusual for her - any escape has resulted in lots of minor damage that she appears totally unaware of.

The pictures with the very large overhang almost certainly the brackets would be too heavy for the fencing we have now installed to bear the weight to keep it sufficiently stable if you see what I mean? I really do not think my family would agree to yet another lot of huge expense of making another fence making an outer perimeter again that would be strong enough to use that sort of overhang. We are now on our third perimeter fencing project within the past 6 months, so patience from the menfolk is , understandably, wearing a little thin.

The area is simply too large to roof it and would be quite a large engineering feat to do so, and almost certainly more costly than we could afford. The area is between on third and half an acre, and to roof a small fenced area within that, to my mind, is still keeping her in a 'cage for the rest of her life and not acceptable, especially given her personality and agility and speed, to deprive her of an area to enable to naturally let of steam in this way would border on cruelty IMO, as much as constantly never allowed off lead either.

Sorry cant remember who mentioned it - but yes have gone through the whole long lead training before with all pups and we did also try with her before reverting to the extender lead. We have never found it dangerous with her, it is the wide taped hi viz XLarge Gorilla one - the only danger being when she was just so strong and determined she broke the damn thing and ran off yet again. In fairness, they did send a free replacement.

Just to add this is not a pure and simple recall or training issue at all. Within the paddock and house her recall is second to none and her obedience absolute, she is highly intelligent and has learned many, many new tricks and games since coming to us. But when that head goes up and the nose twitches she is in the equivalent of the red zone and is gone at the speed of a greyhound in whichever direction she has picked up the scent before you can blink an eye.

I love the let her get very very fat response that is a possibility lol! - she is super fit just now - but probably still try and drag her fat body up and over the barriers!

that coyote roller looks very interesting, I will look further into that - I am wondering if you could fairly easily instal something like that yourself using what materials we can buy here in Ireland.

I cant thank you all enough for suggestions, this is really breaking my heart now at the thought of the double fence with a small no mans land between both fences not working - do any of you think that might work as we are hoping it will?

if you double fence and she can scale one what is going to stop her scaling another? Are we talking about scaling as in going up vertically and hooking her paws over the top? not jumping like a show jumper,

What is the fence made of? if she is going up vertically she must have sufficient grip to enable her to get up? just trying to imagine your fence now.
I would think you would do better to put time and materials on the existing fence to make it higher, more slippery, coyote roller type to physically prevent her.

The pictures of the angled fence a great, very strong fence but I would have thought you could have got away with lighter. It is more the principle.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Our thoughts are if she scales one (no scales it not a showjumper style) and plonks to the groudn the other side to be faced with yet another equally difficult fence rather than acres and acres of fields and freedom stretching away in front of her it would be enough to snap her out of the red zone and keep her contained within the no mans land until we can get to her. It is tall wooden farm posts interspersed between existing shorter farm posts that had barbed wire and strong very small hole netting up to the top of shorter posts - all now extended with double height similar netting to the top of higher new posts. Also straining wire spaced evenly between height at 4 levels to tie in. Inward pointing electric insulators at the top of that - two strands one extending out about 9 inches and the outer one approx 12 inches (longer insulators had to be very kindly made for us by a friend as could not find longer than the 9" anywhere. Lower electric up from ground is held in place with the usual short insulators, that was put there in the hope it would stop her using the wire mesh to scramble up - it clearly did not stop her.. I will try and get some pics later.

The coyote roller type idea is being well received by the one doing the work! We are going to look into that tomorrow when the go out to buy new materials.

maisie06

Visit site
I know they are a very emotive subject but as a last ditch chance for waht sounds like a nice dog would you consider an E collar?? Used in the right way they can be a very effective tool, I know someone who used one on a stock chaser, it was that or it would be shot, dog now just wears the collar on the beep setting and totally respects it, making life nicer for all - if your'e not comfortable with it that's fine, just thought I'd mention it.

Clodagh

Visit site
I know they are a very emotive subject but as a last ditch chance for waht sounds like a nice dog would you consider an E collar?? Used in the right way they can be a very effective tool, I know someone who used one on a stock chaser, it was that or it would be shot, dog now just wears the collar on the beep setting and totally respects it, making life nicer for all - if your'e not comfortable with it that's fine, just thought I'd mention it.

This, nicer then a bullet.
I feel so sorry for you though, what an awful situation to be in.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I dont know if it would work for a dog but I know someone who used drainage pipes on broom handles to make a roller type things to make a roller type contraption to put on top of fences to stop cats getting out. It rolls so they cant get a grip to climb over. As I said not sure if it would work with dogs but might be worth thinking about. Extending leads are awful in my opinion. They dont always lock when needed can break as you have found, can get pulled out of your hand easily and a big dog can pull to the end quickly get a huge jerk on the neck and pull the handler over. If the brake/lock fails dogs can be on the road quickly. I hate them. A long line is much better.

Skib

sites.google.com
This is not about the fence but about the dog. I learned to ride as an older woman and was much influenced by Mark Rashid and behaviourism.
My daughter has an Irish terrier who did not come when called.
Quite by accient on ? Channel 5, I found the Doggy equivant of Rashid

Graeme Hall. https://www.dogfather.co.uk/

In one section of the TV programme, (in a large indoor gymn or school hall) he teaches recall using a long line and treat rewards. I bought a similar line (long, thin but not extending) so as to train our daughter's dog but it has not happened. In one fim, Hall uses it to teach a dog to come to him and stop chasing bicycles.

Hall's website says he is not currently taking new bookings but you might like to have a look at the TV programmeand his website. I think you may be able to try something of this sort yourself. I got many of my riding and horse handling skills by going home and doing what I had seen trainers do.

If your dog has been used to breaking out and running free, my feeling is that the recall training would need to be done in conjunction with other training on Graeme Hall lines, like teaching the dog to walk nicely on a lead and to sit and not jump on the furniture. As with horses, the routine compliance in small things, paves the way for compliance in more difficult (tempting) situations.

paddy555

Visit site
Our thoughts are if she scales one (no scales it not a showjumper style) and plonks to the groudn the other side to be faced with yet another equally difficult fence rather than acres and acres of fields and freedom stretching away in front of her it would be enough to snap her out of the red zone and keep her contained within the no mans land until we can get to her. It is tall wooden farm posts interspersed between existing shorter farm posts that had barbed wire and strong very small hole netting up to the top of shorter posts - all now extended with double height similar netting to the top of higher new posts. Also straining wire spaced evenly between height at 4 levels to tie in. Inward pointing electric insulators at the top of that - two strands one extending out about 9 inches and the outer one approx 12 inches (longer insulators had to be very kindly made for us by a friend as could not find longer than the 9" anywhere. Lower electric up from ground is held in place with the usual short insulators, that was put there in the hope it would stop her using the wire mesh to scramble up - it clearly did not stop her.. I will try and get some pics later.

The coyote roller type idea is being well received by the one doing the work! We are going to look into that tomorrow when the go out to buy new materials.

Sandstone1

Visit site
This is not about the fence but about the dog. I learned to ride as an older woman and was much influenced by Mark Rashid and behaviourism.
My daughter has an Irish terrier who did not come when called.
Quite by accient on ? Channel 5, I found the Doggy equivant of Rashid

Graeme Hall. https://www.dogfather.co.uk/

In one section of the TV programme, (in a large indoor gymn or school hall) he teaches recall using a long line and treat rewards. I bought a similar line (long, thin but not extending) so as to train our daughter's dog but it has not happened. In one fim, Hall uses it to teach a dog to come to him and stop chasing bicycles.

Hall's website says he is not currently taking new bookings but you might like to have a look at the TV programmeand his website. I think you may be able to try something of this sort yourself. I got many of my riding and horse handling skills by going home and doing what I had seen trainers do.

If your dog has been used to breaking out and running free, my feeling is that the recall training would need to be done in conjunction with other training on Graeme Hall lines, like teaching the dog to walk nicely on a lead and to sit and not jump on the furniture. As with horses, the routine compliance in small things, paves the way for compliance in more difficult (tempting) situations.
Not a fan of this man at all, I have seen him do some really stupid things. Hes more like a British Cesar Milan which is in my book not a good thing. When a dog is so focused on getting out you need a immediate solution. In a area where she is likely to get shot when she gets out the first thing to do is sort the fence. No training in the world is going to help a dead dog.

windand rain

Visit site
What about the no fence containment affairs inside the fence think it works by shocking the dog as it gets to the boundary. Might sound cruel but if she learns its better than the alternative

Clodagh

Visit site
What about the no fence containment affairs inside the fence think it works by shocking the dog as it gets to the boundary. Might sound cruel but if she learns its better than the alternative
I know dogs that will run through thrm if stimulated enough, and this one sounds sufficiently wired to do so.
Trials dogs are so hyper focussed and I imagine if their focus is on the wrong thing but they are self rewarding on it then you are very stuck.

Treats and so on mean nothing to them, even my not so highly bred ones won’t take food when a retrieve or hunt is possible.