Please please sign

Mad Mick

New User
Visit site
Can anyone please sign the attached petition. I know a lot of happy hackers are on this forum. Hacking isn’t great where I live. And a popular route which I have used for 20 years has been closed due to the new out of town owners. Their house sits next to an ancient lovely lane. They have put shingle over lane entrance and blocked with gates and locked them. CCTV cameras up. The council are aware but 16 months on .. have done very little. The owner is very aggressive and has even tried to run dog walkers over in her car. The local paper are now involved and are taking photos next week of me on my horse. Thanks guys. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://www.change.org/p/people-of-sudbury-save-brook-field-lane?fbclid=IwAR3wUPYii6l7zBMw7zzPATDMLemoRLAQ6PRllObuMolqJ73s30Gn8MUUseo&h=AT3RRHxJZ1xXqc_kY-gukkcrFxgiWr0b_lUB4IElxGgt3REZRKARMEC7sGC_kB8Disz-IPY46tLgis7KazX-ZzqeT9phGBjZi2gAk-_EOUoIsaehYzIBBb9rp5sEuPw&s=1

An application should be made under Section 53 (C) (i) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 to register the lane on the Counties Definitive Map and Statement

Quote - the discovery by the authority of evidence which (when considered with all other relevant evidence available to them) shows—
that a right of way which is not shown in the map and statement subsists or is reasonably alleged to subsist over land in the area to which the map relates, being a right of way to which this Part applies – end quote.

Gather as may people to avadavat that the lane has for the past 20 years or more been used by the local public without hinder.

Then the Council will have to investigate by law.

Also go to the local records office and check the Inclosure awards as they may show whether it is a public highway.

Check the Ordnance survey maps to see how the lane is recorded on them in particular the 6 inch map around the turn of the century (Late 1800’s)

OK she will object but at least it then will become official and the Council will have by law to concider the aplication.

HashRouge

Visit site
The land registry shows her boundary ends outside her front door. So the lane is not hers. At the bottom of the lane which goes on for a long way .. there used to be a house. Which burnt down yonks ago. The lane was missed off the 1970’s register to be a byway. No one knows who the lane belongs to. Council put up yellow notices but Michelle tore them down. Twice. The school used to ran it for cross country in the 1960’s to 1980’s. It’s been used for generations. The council are dragging their heels. The local paper ran an article last week to high light. If you try and climb over the gate she comes out and uses some very colourful language. And will chase you. Sometimes in her car. It’s so awful.
So if I am understanding it correctly, this lady has put a gate across a lane that she doesn't own/ have any right to? I think you are doing the right thing getting the local press involved, but I'd also suggest trying to arrange a mass "walk-in" with as many local people as you can. If she is illegally obstructing the lane, does anyone know if there would be consequences if they used bolt cutters to get the gates open?

You should also try to gather testimony from as many local people as you can, detailing how often and for how long they have used the lane.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
The first thing to do is to get all the users of this path to complete an evidence form so that you can apply to the local authority for a Definitive Map Modification order so that it can be placed on the definitive map of your local County Council. The Definative Map is the map that records all Public Righs of Way in your area. If you need any help to create an evidnce form then please contact me at peter.natt@btinternet.com.

exracehorse

Visit site
So if I am understanding it correctly, this lady has put a gate across a lane that she doesn't own/ have any right to? I think you are doing the right thing getting the local press involved, but I'd also suggest trying to arrange a mass "walk-in" with as many local people as you can. If she is illegally obstructing the lane, does anyone know if there would be consequences if they used bolt cutters to get the gates open?

You should also try to gather testimony from as many local people as you can, detailing how often and for how long they have used the lane.
over a hundred letters/emails were sent to Nadine at the council stating they regularly use the lane. This was last year. X

exracehorse

Visit site
Signed.
There’s an interesting comment on there by a previous owner of Crab Cottage, saying there’s always been access.
yes. They used to wave and say hi when I rode by .. they told her when she viewed it was regularly used by the public. Then she put gates up

exracehorse

Visit site
I've signed, good luck. Would emergency services support you regarding access? That's a fairly feeble gate, can it just be lifted off its hinges without causing damage?
Yes. It’s a small metal garden gate. And metal driveway type gate next to each other. Doubt emergency services would need to go through as they can access the bottom of the lane that links to a housing estate. Although Billy used to drive it to see his ponies. The owner told Billy it was put up to stop her children but they are teenagers and are in fact using the lane to go up and down on an off road dirt bike!

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
The owner told Billy it was put up to stop her children but they are teenagers and are in fact using the lane to go up and down on an off road dirt bike!

Is it legal for her children to ride an uninsured and untaxed motorbike up and down the laneway? Might be another angle on it but that would depend entirely on what exactly the lane is registered as on the land registry. http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=207

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Can’t seem to do a link to the website so I’ve screenshot this from the last time Crab Cottage was for sale.
Note under ‘Outside’ it states “A private no through road…”. Perhaps that’s how the owners got the idea they can just block it off?
60ACC86D-446F-4646-BB30-3D65AC00BD7C.jpeg

exracehorse

Visit site
Can’t seem to do a link to the website so I’ve screenshot this from the last time Crab Cottage was for sale.
Note under ‘Outside’ it states “A private no through road…”. Perhaps that’s how the owners got the idea they can just block it off?
View attachment 77263
hi. She has admitted on camera that it’s not her lane. Her boundary ends in front of the house. The lane is a good half mile long. And links to the estate at the bottom. It’s a private lane in a way. But not her lane. No one knows who owns it. The council put up notices to establish and she tore them down. 7F7705B8-7690-4135-8DAA-5E8ECB1359C4.jpeg06EBB7B4-E203-4995-BE8A-D163C03B9724.png

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Can anyone please sign the attached petition. I know a lot of happy hackers are on this forum. Hacking isn’t great where I live. And a popular route which I have used for 20 years has been closed due to the new out of town owners. Their house sits next to an ancient lovely lane. They have put shingle over lane entrance and blocked with gates and locked them. CCTV cameras up. The council are aware but 16 months on .. have done very little. The owner is very aggressive and has even tried to run dog walkers over in her car. The local paper are now involved and are taking photos next week of me on my horse. Thanks guys. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://www.change.org/p/people-of-sudbury-save-brook-field-lane?fbclid=IwAR3wUPYii6l7zBMw7zzPATDMLemoRLAQ6PRllObuMolqJ73s30Gn8MUUseo&h=AT3RRHxJZ1xXqc_kY-gukkcrFxgiWr0b_lUB4IElxGgt3REZRKARMEC7sGC_kB8Disz-IPY46tLgis7KazX-ZzqeT9phGBjZi2gAk-_EOUoIsaehYzIBBb9rp5sEuPw&s=1
signed - too many bridle paths are disappearing

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
hi. She has admitted on camera that it’s not her lane. Her boundary ends in front of the house. The lane is a good half mile long. And links to the estate at the bottom. It’s a private lane in a way. But not her lane. No one knows who owns it. The council put up notices to establish and she tore them down. View attachment 77268View attachment 77269
I should have added I am totally on your and everyone else’s side. The woman is a nasty piece of work.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The first thing to do is to get all the users of this path to complete an evidence form so that you can apply to the local authority for a Definitive Map Modification order so that it can be placed on the definitive map of your local County Council. The Definative Map is the map that records all Public Righs of Way in your area. If you need any help to create an evidnce form then please contact me at peter.natt@btinternet.com.

Great advice and offer of help.

exracehorse

Visit site
Do they work in the dark? Need infrared or night cameras I think. I’d imagine with right tools and heads covered could remove gates pretty quickly?

I’m not even sure if removing gates blocking an established right of way would be illegal?
. Do you fancy giving it a go ? ?

exracehorse

Visit site
Hi. Yes we had over a hundred from local folk. They all were submitted to Nadine. And a Definitive Map requested. As we have proof it’s been used for generations.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
check you’ve put right email address in. I had that problem. Yes .. you should get an email x
well i have tried again and after i have filled in the next few pages it takes me to a section saying there are no updates....i havent had an e mail and i cant see why my e mail address is right i have signed lots of petitions and got the e mails so im stumped..