Post christmas weekend plans!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
looks fab, Cortez :) Good luck BM :)

Managed to get both ridden at home today, something of a rarity these days :rolleyes:
Kira hasn't done anything except a little hack for about a week, so she was bloody sharp and both front and back feet spent quite a bit of time waving around but in between that she did 16 one tempis in a row and some decent nearly on the spot bits of piaffe. So worth all the histrionics. And Salty bogged off with me, but in a good way ;)

Obligatory kira picture!
48969902_2271648496179981_702025478411649024_n.jpg

Snowfilly

Visit site
Adults gymkhana was a lot of fun. 11 riders, 8 horses including 2 privately owned ones so lots of swapping about - rode 4 over 8 races, and a lady offered me a ride on her own gelding in the last race.

I'd ridden one of them before, the others were all new and they ranged from 13.1 - 17.2 and from 4 - 22, so a nice exciting mix. Won walk, trot and canter, and finished a glorious last in a string race as we cantered 20m circles every time we tried to turn!

Mum throughly enjoyed a little welsh she got to ride, and we had fun doing some of the pairs races together. She also won the bending, despite losing a stirrup in the first heat.

They gave up doing scores by about race 4, and were deducting points for things like swearing, 'riding like a muppet,' and 'trying to kill the timekeeper' so it was special rosettes, cake, prosecco and chocolates all round afterwards!

I did feel a lot better for being with other horses.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Oldie48 I love my HAAS brushes. Best brushes I've ever used.

I've had a manic few days: Girls had an arena eventing clinic and the ponies were fab. Then we headed South for a flying family visit. Back tonight and tomorrow girls are going to a barrel racing event. Well it's something a bit different! Nippy Jenny should be good at it! Suitable for beginners to barrel racing apparently so should be fun.

Bernster

Visit site
That sounds so much fun snowfilly and I love the points deducting.

AE we did barrels in Arizona on the recent ranch holiday, it was awesome fun!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Well the barrel racing was very entertaining! It struck me (again) how obedient Western horses seem to be - slowing down /stopping instantly when asked. All the ponies got a bit excited and the turns got wider and wider as the session progressed instead of tighter and tighter!

The kids were told to let go of the outside rein and pull the heads round with the inside rein to turn which is not a habit that would help them much but the overall focus on quick transitions, balance etc was really useful. It was a lot of fun.

Wheels

Visit site
I am absolutely ecstatic after our lesson today. It was so much fun and M is going well and jumping really well.

This is my third lesson with this particular trainer and I absolutely love her style - we made a few minor changes to my position and Ms way of going and wowee! Minor changes made a big improvement and it felt amazing. I will be organising another lesson very soon, I think she is my new crush lol

blood_magik

Visit site
Well, I am still alive after our first newcomers attempt 🙂 although we nearly got taken out in the warmup again 😑

68 in our class today 😳

Blue felt a little tired so I pulled up rather than taking a flyer into the first fence - he left everything up though so 4 faults for us today. How he left number 3 up, I don’t know... 🙈

He’s not quite fit enough to jump 3 days in a row just yet so I’ll need to have a think about maybe giving him a day off in between classes at the longer shows. Still really pleased with him considering I havent jumped him round a bigger course in months. 😍

Hope everyone had a good weekend 🙂

Last edited:

blood_magik

Visit site
He’s about 18.3hh, Wheels 🙂

He’s a very talented horse but super safe under saddle and very honest, which is exactly what I need to take me up the levels.

I love jumping him because I can be off and he’ll still have a go for me (as demonstrated at the champagne bottle fence 🙈😅)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
18,3!!! Wowsers. Very well done. x

Wheels I feel the same way about my new dressage instructor, She hardly ever teaches though so I grab her whenever I can and am scared she'll give up completely soon..... It's great when you find a really good instructor. They are worth their weight in gold.

zaminda

Visit site
So far I have managed to get 2 to the gallops, one yesterday and one today. Super pleased with both of them. Will be taking Maisy again tomorrow, and she is going to poles on Wednesday, where hopefully she will behave, as she isn't great in company. Winnie will have tomorrow off having worked hard today, and is going to a showjumping clinic on New Years day which will be fun. If she jumps well I will try and find her something to go to, as it is time for her to step up a gear.

rosiesowner

Visit site
I'm late to the thread this week! Schooled saturday and lunged yesterday. First comp of 2019 next week so should probably buck up and get some practice in! New years thing tonight, will probably end up feeling rough for a couple of days...

Wheels

Visit site
I've booked an arena hire and XC schooling for tomorrow morning, only time available was 10am and it's over an hour away so no late night drinking for me lol

The derby course is still up from a few weeks ago so we will play over that and then explore the XC fields a bit as we've never done XC there before

alainax

Visit site
Wow you lot are all having a much more exiting time than me! I’m not riding due to ankle injury. My highlight was going to the tack shop today and wait for it.... only buying what I went in for! 😱

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
From this weekend I have to report that it's finally happened

I have finally tired Arty out. After hack this morning they all went out and the other two were galloping about. Arty would usually be leading the silliness but she just walked sedately across the field to the haylage piles:eek:. Never thought I would manage to do that tbh, poor baby mare.

Wheels

Visit site
Poor Arty lol

Had a brill time at arena hire / XC / derby schooling, I challenged myself with a few of the fences which were bigger than I'd usually jump when left to my own devices.

We had a run out at an arrowhead brush skinny, my approach didn't have much going for it, not straight, not enough impulsion, lack of outside rein so no wonder he sneaked off to the left but straight back round and over without any more hassle. Everything else he flew over and was enjoying himself a lot!

blitznbobs

Visit site
Wow you lot are all having a much more exiting time than me! I’m not riding due to ankle injury. My highlight was going to the tack shop today and wait for it.... only buying what I went in for! 😱

Now that is difficult - have you had special training or are you just naturally talented... I can’t even do that at the supermarket!

DirectorFury

Visit site
I've totally failed at doing anything horsey as we're flat out with the cars at the moment - we're moving down to a new unit in the next week or so so I'm trying to get as much done as possible!
However I made the fatal mistake of seeing if there was anything 'interesting' advertised on some the car sites...I've bought two vehicles this weekend :oops:. A Zaz 966 (google it!) from Lithuania and another 200tdi Discovery (1989 - very early one). Which brings the total number of D1s up to 4 and serious project cars up to 3. Oops?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Haha, oh dear DF - OH and I have been pretty good with cars recently (me in particular, so I'm feeling very smug), the only non useful thing I have at the moment is a crv that I need to break. It's been parked up so long that there isn't a panel left without a horse dent in 🙈

ETA: just googled the zaz - seriously cool...I now want one

DirectorFury

Visit site
Haha, oh dear DF - OH and I have been pretty good with cars recently (me in particular, so I'm feeling very smug), the only non useful thing I have at the moment is a crv that I need to break. It's been parked up so long that there isn't a panel left without a horse dent in 🙈

ETA: just googled the zaz - seriously cool...I now want one

We could do with less cars but it's not the end of the world 🙈, especially now we've got more dry storage/work space.
Breaking is my least favourite job to do - so tedious! Is the rot bad on your CRV?

Zaz was criminally cheap, the delivery cost to the UK is more than I paid for the car! Short term plans are to do a body chop and lower it massively, then put a 2l Porsche turbo engine where the back seats are. Plus various safety (steering, brakes, body strengthening) updates ;). It's either going to do 2-3 shows then be sold or I'll get attached to it and it'll stay forever; I'm leaning towards the latter!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Ooo, please share photos when you've done it 😁:cool:.

My least favourite job too (which I'd why it's still sat there :rolleyes:). No it's not too bad. It could be put back on the road if the inclination was there, but it's not worth it financially

milliepops

Visit site
Bringing it back to one horse power 😂
Kira went to Stourport Riding Centre for a spot of arena hire yesterday. Been eyeing it up as a venue as they've started running FEI classes and musics but it's indoor so wanted a test run first.
Beautiful facilities but my instincts were correct and kira was very tense and very very strong 😳
Decided to crack on with some Hard Stuff anyway rather than just manage her emotions, because that's what we have to do at shows. even though she was behind my leg and difficult she kept trying 😎 so the quality of work was lower but I was super pleased that the stuff she's been learning has stuck in her little pink brain 😂
Apparently we have developed a drift right in the 1s which was weird as normally she runs left 😄 consequently I forgot how to sit still 🤣
Anyway it was a worthwhile trip even if it did mean setting off at sparrow fart to get there for my 9am slot.
My birthday today so just a quick ride for salts 😉

Warts and all video, you can see her tightness is the problem here cos shes flat and difficult in the contact ... but it's a fair starting point for the year ahead :)

milliepops

Visit site
Its a stunning venue, we will definitely be back. She found the indoor quite a challenge as there were lots of comings and goings bit that was kinda the point so not a problem 😉

scats

Visit site
Happy birthday MP! You off out tonight?

Back to it for mine tomorrow. Had family meal at my auntys in Liverpool today but that’s the last of the celebrations now. Starting Polly’s long reining this week, then hope to be back on board at the end of January. Kept Millie ticking over this last couple of weeks so she’ll be easy enough to pick back up. Trying to decide when to get back out competing, but think I’ll leave it til February.

Wheels

Visit site
Happy birthday MP! That looks like a lovely indoor - is it far from you?

I've accidentally ended up with a jumping lesson tomorrow with my new fave instructor. So that was jump lesson Sunday, jumping arena hire today and jumping lesson again tomorrow. That's much more than I would usually do but you have to grasp opportunities when they arise! We will do a slightly shortened lesson to leave time for a bit of planning / goal setting to make it a bit of an easier session for M and then he'll have a well deserved day off!