Potential New Horse Thread - Vetting Today!

AandK

Visit site
Wow! He looks like a different horse, so smart! He is going to be a biggun, if you end up jumping him at least the jumps will look teeny ;)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Thank you everyone for the kind words and support on this thread, but I’m going to let it lapse. Not posting for attention, but just thought I’d let those that have followed it know. My happiness has been fragile for a long while and Dex is doing a lot to fix that and whilst I am aware that everything to do with horses garners a lot of opinions, all different, I don’t want to end up with the joy sucked out of it when all I can do is my best with what I have available to me. Hopefully those who have posted off the back of the buying horses thread about having found a steed will update on their journeys, which I look forward to following!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Thought I’d drop in with a small update - Dex is learning big boy things! Honestly couldn’t have cared less about the whole thing, didn’t react or bat an eyelid once. The guy backing him is super - didn’t have a sit and he said he never does first day, he said he probably could with no bother but he has nothing to gain and he’d like to end it on a good note. I 1000% agree, it’s great to have someone on the same page as me with it. I have lost 2.5 stone now since May when I bought him, so I’m well on the way to being light enough by around spring time I think.

His biggest sarcoid also dropped off. I’ve been feeeding the main ingredients to Radiance Gold, Sarcex and some oily herbs and putting flour and salt paste on it for about 3 weeks. It was one of those that was a ball under the skin, so I’m super happy today! 211E0B63-0083-4CC8-824F-7A4C2224FFD4.jpeg99D7CBB5-391A-410A-836A-C3DBBEAE391E.jpeg3DE19C44-7027-4096-A5C2-B1AB6ED1DA2E.jpeg

Bowie

Visit site
What a kind face he has (referring to Dex not the orange squiggle face🤣). Well done on your prep as well! Look forward to the ups and supporting with the downs (because we have them- no matter who we are). But he is a beautiful looking lad with a kind eye 👍🏻

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
What a kind face he has (referring to Dex not the orange squiggle face🤣). Well done on your prep as well! Look forward to the ups and supporting with the downs (because we have them- no matter who we are). But he is a beautiful looking lad with a kind eye 👍🏻

Thank you - George has a kind face too! 😂. A fellow livery took a few photos in the moment so it was nice to see that Dex didn’t have a worried eye in one of them, really took it in his stride. His kind eye was one of the things that drew me to his advert I have to say.

He got scared at a table yesterday and pulled away and burnt my hand (again) and nearly went over YOs garden! but today he cantered up to the combine and baler working 2ft from his fence line to have a watch! The ups and downs are there already 😂

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Update really appreciated. What a star he is!! Fascinating to see the changes reflected in his hooves.

It’s funny you say that, I hadn’t noticed until you pointed it out! Very interesting, I’ll have to have a good look tomorrow.

Thanks everyone, he really is amazing (fingers crossed) - George sat on and used a little leg pressure today because he was so unreactive to him sitting up there, and he wasn’t unsure of any of it, didn’t even raise his head and get tense or anything.

He did then break out of his field twice this PM just as I had gotten home as he realised the electric fence wasn’t on 🙄 YO couldn’t find the short so he’s come back in overnight and will go out in the AM in someone else’s field. Little sod! He’s definitely not silly..

teapot

Visit site
He's a cracker!

Does he have company @AShetlandBitMeOnce? Just thinking in terms of he's a big horse (and will get bigger!) and imho no bad thing to be reminded of field/herd manners occasionally, not least for your own safety.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Thought I'd drop in with another quick update, even though I write about him on the forum all the time!

I have now lost 4.5st and have hit my goal to get on board! I would like to drop another 2-3 just for personal preference, so am cracking on with that. He is also now 17.1hh... supposed to make 16.2hh.. whoops!

He did nothing at all after those two weeks I posted about in August as he was still only 3 and a bit. Then when I lost my job mid-Jan I did another couple of weeks re-backing at the beginning of Feb, but then when we had gotten to the 'walk on a lunge line bit' the weather closed in and it's been VILE ever since.

Soggy two-some! (Yes he has a fieldmate and has done for over 6 months)
1709055310710.png

Well today it's been lovely and I thought sod it, he's done nothing for two weeks and the spring grass is definitely coming through as he's been... exuberant, but I did a quick lunge and then hopped on and had OUR FIRST SOLO RIDE EVER -- eeeeek! He was fab, didn't quite understand at first as he didn't have anyone to follow but then we got the hang of it and did 2 or 3 20m circles on both reins and I called it a day.

Poor boy had a mentally taxing day
1709055427633.png

Other than that we have been hacking in hand when the weather permits:

1709056439421.png

Still doing some groundwork - he does a fabulous collected trot on a vocal queue now, shoulder in and travers on both reins, moves towards and away shoulder/haunches etc and varying degrees of inside flexion on a trot circle depending on where I point the whip. Currently we are working on walk pirouettes (but he gets confused when I'm standing behind him bless him!)

(excuse my annoying voice in that video, I can't help it! This was actually a couple months ago and he was pretty much unbacked so you can see how unphased he is by me leaning over and patting etc)

Long story short, after the turbulent 6 months I have had I think he is about the best thing since sliced bread and I don't think I could possible love an animal more. My impulse purchase, which on paper was about the stupidest thing I could have done, and which could have gone seriously wrong, might just be one of the best decisions I have ever made.

1709056614092.png1709056639655.png