Potential New Horse Thread - Vetting Today!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Thanks everyone, it's still not quite sunk in that I actually have a horse now, feels so bizarre. I feel such responsibility for making sure he has a good start in life, but it's an exciting prospect too!

I had a heart stopping moment when the box pulled up as they had a cremello in the other side, same size, and it's the only horse I could see in there - I thought oh god, somethings gone wrong! 😆

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
So pleased for you! (Living vicariously through you as I would LOVE a youngster but currently paying for a wedding 🤪 so lots of updates please)!

does he have a name yet or have I missed that?

Thank you! (and to everyone else!) Counting down the hours until I can go back up to see him this PM, feel like a little girl again. 😆

He doesn't have a name yet, vague short list is currently Fergus, Murphy (I wasn't keen but I have to admit it would suit him), Eoin - but I am more than happy to add more to the list if you have ideas. I think I'm just going to try each in turn and see what sticks! I liked Raffy too but not sure it suits.
I would like Dunbeggan in his show name, but the rest of it I haven't decided on yet either. I also need to check that I can use it as I think that’s actually the stud prefix.

Last edited:

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Nice horse! Jumpers rump!!!
I've never been a huge jumper, but I might have to learn! Thankfully I have lots of time!

Super frame on him and not too long legs, , slow and steady to mature he'll be stunning
He doesn't look to be all leg at the moment but he moves all gangly and leggy when he was walking to/from the field. It's so sweet!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
He’s gorgeous!! Can’t wait to see him grow up. He’s going to be huge (height and a fill out!)

I mean.. I was absolutely being sensible by buying a more reasonable sized horse, he definitely won't end up any bigger than 16.2hh... (I may like the idea of 17hh+ but shhhh, I would also be more than happy for him to stay as he is)

I was trying to find that old thread that said 'how much did you horse grow after age x' but I can't find it, or remember it's exact title which doesn't help.

Last edited:

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Thank you! (and to everyone else!) Counting down the hours until I can go back up to see him this PM, feel like a little girl again. 😆

He doesn't have a name yet, vague short list is currently Fergus, Murphy (I wasn't keen but I have to admit it would suit him), Eoin - but I am more than happy to add more to the list if you have ideas. I think I'm just going to try each in turn and see what sticks! I liked Raffy too but not sure it suits.
I would like Dunbeggan in his show name, but the rest of it I haven't decided on yet either. I also need to check that I can use it as I think that’s actually the stud prefix.

I went through list after list after list of male Irish names including mythological, historical etc when I bought my pony. He had a very boring plain passport name which I couldn’t turn into a stable name at all.
He was actually passported ( name of town ) (colour of pony)
He became Finan and is much loved.
Wishing you more joy as Unnamed ID grows up

Reactions: JBM

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I mean.. I was absolutely being sensible by buying a more reasonable sized horse, he definitely won't end up any bigger than 16.2hh... (I may like the idea of 17hh+ but shhhh, I would also be more than happy for him to stay as he is)

I was trying to find that old thread that said 'how much did you horse grow after age x' but I can't find it, or remember it's exact title which doesn't help.

The string test is brilliant.. where you measure between fetlock and elbow, then flip the tape above the shoulder to find the end height. It put my girl at 16hh and she’s 15.3 now as a 5yo. There is a post about it, search ‘string test’ maybe?

My Welsh grew from 14hh as a 3yo to 15.1 (8yo) when the vet said he wouldn’t get over 14.2! My current mare was 15.1 when I bought her as a 3yo. 😊