PTS

chaps89

Visit site
I presume the vet would have contacts. Failing that, knackerman/fallen stock man/the hunts, just ring round, I'm sure they'll all be used to emergency calls?!

Both of the horses I've had pts were done at 6.30am on a bank holiday Monday, planned.
When the mare was pts last week, the knackerman had been out already that morning to remove a horse who had passed away overnight, so that must have been somewhere around 5am so I'm guessing that unsocial hours/emergency call outs form part of their job

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Warning not very nice memory on PTS!

Can someone tell me if I am correctly remembering a childhood incident of horse being shot by the huntsman. Not very nice and sort of hope it is a false memory. I have vague memories of an injured horse being shot (no idea if captive bolt or actual firearm.) and the poor horse did not die immediately and the huntsman/knackerman had a long metal instrument that they had to put in the hole made by the gun and wriggle it around, presumably in the brain area, until the horse actually succumbed totally?

Sorry if that is difficult for some to read but it has always been a vague memory in the back of my mind, I must have been very young, and it might explain why I am so anti the gun method of euthanasia.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Warning not very nice memory on PTS!

Can someone tell me if I am correctly remembering a childhood incident of horse being shot by the huntsman. Not very nice and sort of hope it is a false memory. I have vague memories of an injured horse being shot (no idea if captive bolt or actual firearm.) and the poor horse did not die immediately and the huntsman/knackerman had a long metal instrument that they had to put in the hole made by the gun and wriggle it around, presumably in the brain area, until the horse actually succumbed totally?

Sorry if that is difficult for some to read but it has always been a vague memory in the back of my mind, I must have been very young, and it might explain why I am so anti the gun method of euthanasia.

That is the normal way to shoot a horse with a captive bolt. It is not aware of the rodding to destroy the brain stem.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
That is the normal way to shoot a horse with a captive bolt. It is not aware of the rodding to destroy the brain stem.

Oh yes I am not questioning the actual shooting - it was the memory of the long piece of metal being wriggled around in the hole. Is that common and a usual thing to do, why would they need to do that, do you know? The only horse I had shot certainly didn't have that done?

chaps89

Visit site
It's for this reason I never stay and watch - I actually don't know/haven't witnessed the full pts of a horse. I had them ready, had a handful of treats, passed the rope and treats over and retreated to my car whilst it's done. Went back and said a final goodbye when it was done and horses head was covered, pre loading onto the trailer.
In fairness last week the chap said that was always his preference and that he rarely found the presence of an owner/helper actually helpful/necessary. (I know that doing that is more for the owners sake than to help to be fair)
I was so glad I did that for my first horse, I had so many subsequent nightmares about him being alive but in horrific circumstances and I was helpless to do anything about it after he was pts, having seen his body meant I was able to be rational about it when I woke up.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Mine was pts by the knackerman last week.
It was expected and so I was able to arrange it and inform my vet beforehand too.
My vet knew the pony very very well, and part of my decision to use a knackerman not my vet in this instance is how hard it is for the vet, especially when it's a horse they've known a very long time, I didn't feel I could or wanted to ask.

Sorry about your pony.

I did similar when I had to have our pony PTS last year. I deliberately used the farm vet we use for the cows rather than the pet and equine vet that had been treating him for years. I thought it would be easier for the vet (who'd never seen him before), easier for me not having to deal with the vets emotions as I prefer to shut down and get on with it, plus I suspected she was more experienced with PTS of large animals. I also worried having the usual vet there would tempt me to change my mind, though the decision had been made months before if he had another severe attack. It worked very well for me, the process went as well as it could do in the circumstances and the vet was very professional and efficient which was exactly what I wanted.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I do hope poor Mary has stopped reading.

It's an interesting discussion, but I think the poor OP was already feeling very traumatised.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Oh yes I am not questioning the actual shooting - it was the memory of the long piece of metal being wriggled around in the hole. Is that common and a usual thing to do, why would they need to do that, do you know? The only horse I had shot certainly didn't have that done?
When we went on a school outing many years ago part of the outing was to a dairy farm. I remember the curious 12 year olds around me asking about 'killing animals' and distictly remember the farmer telling us about that procedure (its called pithing). Wasn't aware it was done on horses though.

It really disturbed me, more than the farmers glee at trying to shock a bunch of 12yr olds by going into great details about it.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
It's for this reason I never stay and watch - I actually don't know/haven't witnessed the full pts of a horse. I had them ready, had a handful of treats, passed the rope and treats over and retreated to my car whilst it's done. Went back and said a final goodbye when it was done and horses head was covered, pre loading onto the trailer.
In fairness last week the chap said that was always his preference and that he rarely found the presence of an owner/helper actually helpful/necessary. (I know that doing that is more for the owners sake than to help to be fair)
I was so glad I did that for my first horse, I had so many subsequent nightmares about him being alive but in horrific circumstances and I was helpless to do anything about it after he was pts, having seen his body meant I was able to be rational about it when I woke up.
Agree about being able to see the body post agonal gasping though.

Visit site
I personally would not choose the gun unless the horse was sedated first. We had one done at work and the horse moved it's head just as the trigger was pulled. The bolt took off the front of the eye ball and the horse took off. Caught him, blindfolded him with a towel and started again. To be fair the knackerman was mortified. He had never had that happen to him before.

Birker2020

Visit site
I personally would not choose the gun unless the horse was sedated first. We had one done at work and the horse moved it's head just as the trigger was pulled. The bolt took off the front of the eye ball and the horse took off. Caught him, blindfolded him with a towel and started again. To be fair the knackerman was mortified. He had never had that happen to him before.
Yes that sounds horrific. I dread to think what actually happened to my horse when he was shot twice, the YO who had been holding Mikki was white as a sheet after and went in the house for a large Brandy, the vet lied and said that they shoot big horses twice as a matter of course.